John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

Bullies
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 August 2018
This company used to be great but they have become bullies.
If you work at JL join a trade union before they screw you over.
There is little work life balance and the company are underhand and treat older members of staff and long service like rubbish.
It’s a great company if your face fits.
They victimise and discriminate .
Not a nice place to work like it use to be.
They will brain wash you into the partnership ways.
John Lewis are trading on their past good reputation... don’t be fooled.
They are a dictatorship .
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Bully managers
An example Day at John Lewis Partnership (JLP)
Retail Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Suffolk24 August 2018
I really enjoy the customer facing part of my role as I am a very social person, as I am heavily involved in the John Lewis Partnership card scheme - I find this can be a very interesting part of my working day, Also as I have gained skills within the company over the years - I do enjoy the mentoring part of my day. JLP is a very friendly environment to work in - so this make the role enjoyable. The hardest part of the role is when there is the necessity to monitor and move stock
The best team you can work with.
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough21 August 2018
The job itself is relatively challenging, however it's the general morale of the workplace which brings itself down, but each department is almost like a family environment and you get to know each-other so well and you'll always have friends within John Lewis.
Pros
Cheap food, Great people, Benefits are great
Cons
Morale, Poor staff rota
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waitrose Cheadle Hulme and Menai Bridge20 August 2018
Your typical day at work will begin with reporting to your manager to find your tasks/allocation for the day. There is always something to do and many different tasks and expectations required of the average partner in Waitrose. For example over the years working at Waitrose I am now trained on Operations, Cafe, Welcome Desk, Checkouts, Meat and Fish, Stock Management and replenishment and my shifts and day to day tasks reflect this. You will learn fast if you apply yourself and you can always ask other partners or management for help if you feel stuck or lost!

The workplace culture is not the best, annually we have a great Christmas party but that was about it! There are however plenty of opportunities within the partnership to organise trips and activities at a discounted price for friends/family.

The hardest part of the job is having to deal directly with some very difficult customers but that is part and parcel of retail! It is lovely working at Waitrose at Christmas time as you get to see all the new lines and foods available and there is a generally jolly feel to your working environment. The partner discount card for Waitrose and John Lewis is also a fabulous reward for being a partner.

There is a great family feel to being a partner at Waitrose and this is a great pro of working for the partnership. You feel well connected and looked after in your working environment.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Waitrose however have decided to leave the partnership for personal reasons.
Pros
Discount, Christmas time is great
Cons
Unsociable retail hours, hard work necessary on shift
A Typical Day
Full and Part-time (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire19 August 2018
Focused on: what you could be doing, what you are doing and what you've already done, Not enough support when the busiest times are, criticism when it wasn't needed and little focus upon the 'bigger picture'.
Pros
Discount on items
Cons
Poor management
Great place to work.
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset18 August 2018
This is a great environment to work in with lovely employees and great benefits for anyone working there. On my work experience I got to learn about customer service as well as other skills for the workplace.
Good Company to Work for - Pays well
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London16 August 2018
Good company to work for as the management structure is very well organised. Were always very understanding with my college work and sorted me hours that worked for me.
Pros
Great Pay, Smart Uniform, Good Management
Fun workplace, Freedom
Food Service (Current Employee) –  Kent14 August 2018
The people you work around are a laugh and you can have fun as you work. They allow you to have a lot of freedom allowing you to experience other parts of the business that you want to see or potentially work for at a later stage
Great benefits but salary could be improved
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire13 August 2018
Every day is busy in the life of a merchandiser but it is really useful work and you feel useful - even if sometimes you don't get recognised by managers. It is a great stepping stone for advancing in the company and it is well received on a CV. Also, there are a lot of 'nice' people that work for John Lewis so you're always guaranteed to get along with people. The hardest part of the job is working so hard for the pay. Pay does go up every year if you achieve but not by much!
Pros
Cheap lunches, interesting work
Cons
Pay
Good
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Pontprennau/Old St. Mellons ED13 August 2018
i was a checkout assistant which was sometimes very busy but i found management was poorly structured however waitrose employees were hard workers.mm,m
Pros
Partner benefits
Cons
lack of management
Happy and Well Rounded
Systems Support (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes12 August 2018
Really grateful for my time with John Lewis, I have learnt so much. Partners are very friendly and supportive. Benefits are very good.
A fast paced and exciting place with great customer interaction. This be challenging but is rewarding knowing that your able to make a difference to your customers. Working behind the scenes, learnt a great deal about how the business is run and influence is welcome.
Pros
Supportive Environment
Cons
Long hours sometimes
benefits good
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leicester12 August 2018
working since the store was opened. worked across various departments due to bad rota's . Learned various skills. Not known any company to work on a six week rota. which can be beneficial for long days off but it left gaps on departments. this was a continuous problem and led to those in a non-selling rolls having to cover the shop floor. It was difficult to say no . Non selling staff were deemed not important in the job roll they carried out.
Management- its not what you know but who you know to be able to gain any recognition . Created management postilions that were not necessary. Some mangers good and fair but other were not. The hardest part of the job was motivation. Very good benefits. APR's long winded and complicated.
Pros
work benefits
Cons
Management and organistion
Fun and productive work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex10 August 2018
Working on the Waitrose side of the John Lewes Partnership (JLP) keeps you on your feet. The management team is lovely and the environment is always kept upbeat. The supervisors are easy to approach should you need them. However, I found when it came to leave, I have a big family which means things often forget to be mentioned until a couple of weeks before, although they were welcoming they weren't willing to be flexible when it came to moving or adjusting my hours.
Very fun placement
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Norwich8 August 2018
I did many things on my work placement at John Lewis, overall it was a great experience. My favourite part of the placement was working in the electronics department
Bullied partners
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk7 August 2018
You'll more often than not be expected to work with an agency porter and a hire vehicle chasing your rear end on an 11hr + shift. You'll be given a temperamental hand held terminal and an out of date sat nav and expected to do drops in breakneck time. 7 mins to deliver a washing machine, 35 mins to install a t.v ect. You'll be treated like a child and will be you can never win ie .. 1 taco infringement = a disciplinary and no pay rise for a year. You'll also be judged and tested continuously on performance etc and penalised for not being perfect. Whatever you do you must never talk against the so called partnership, face to face or online as you are monitored. If you're caught out you'll be in dire trouble.Your best bet is to just give this dictatorship a wide berth.
Pros
Ok wage
Cons
Long hours and treated like a number not a human being.
no chance of fulltime work
Porter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool7 August 2018
used and abused then let go after 1 years work the worst run company i have ever worked for in my life no chance of a contract they just use you when they feel like.wide birth
Pros
Cons
bad wages
Great place to work, great benefits and lovely working environment.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton7 August 2018
I had to privilege to have worked with some fantastic people while working at The Place to Eat in Southampton, all of which made my experience all the more better.

The management were lovely, and I felt I could approach them about anything that was of concern, and felt that there was room for me to impact some of the decisions that were made in response.

Something I enjoyed was the great customer service that John Lewis strive to provide to their customers, which I actively tried to bring to everyday of my work.

I learnt a great deal and if I had planned to stay there for a longer period, I know there was a great deal more I could have learned and progressed through different departments of the store.
No ethics, respect and equality.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire6 August 2018
I worked at john Lewis for 14 months. The reason behind i left is racist behaviour from my co workers. I did complain about it but no constructive action has been taken. Manager treat agency worker as body or slave instead of co worker. No greetings or respect. Worst experience i had in my whole life. JL should not recruit anyone apart from british or eu . Management is more bad than the company. Overall if the company. cant take any action against racism and supporting them who is racist that means jl is a racist company.
very busy work place and extremely fun
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Swansea6 August 2018
Very busy but fun job meeting new people and even being someone's only person to talk to, serving customers and cleaning behind the bar, using tills and restocking the fridges as well as also changing barrels.
Pros
food and drink provided
Cons
very busy at times and long shifts
you are just a number
supermarket 'partner' (Former Employee) –  waitrose6 August 2018
I would not recommend this company it is two tier the attitude to non management workers is middle ages / serf like. The job title including the word partner is a joke. The main reason I left was it is impossible to get the time you want off and the work ethic is one of you are lucky to get a job there. Unless you are in with the management you will only be able to take time off when they let you and you will not get it even if you ask the 2 weeks ahead they say required. Usually I would ask 2 or three months ahead and they would take a month to think about it then say no. The only way to work here is to go sick when you need time off so the culture is very bad and means workers having to do more than they can possibly do as never enough staff as this happens a lot.