John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

Found 1,358 reviews matching the search See all 1,394 reviews
Long hard work for very low pay
Full time Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff14 September 2018
Supposedly a partnership but they just use that word to mask the fact it’s just a standard retail job
Some benefits are really good but I would have rather have had a decent salary.
Shifts are so long and if you don’t mind giving up your weekends crack on
Pay rises of about 5p per year
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, very low pay
A company to be proud of ?
Trainer of Legal compliance. (Former Employee) –  Acton11 September 2018
To be a partner in John Lewis is have your say listened to but not noted, the steering group have their own agenda. You will have green blood running through your veins but for the very hard working the rewards can be collective. Middle management are just robots but the ground force workers are the nicest people in the World. Pay is reasonable but not in line with inflation and the bonus is a thing of the past.
Pros
Respect from workmates
Cons
Robotic management.
Too many chiefs
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham10 September 2018
The company very rarely gives an employee a full time contract, they get limited hours to 'allow flexibility'
The upper management (head office) are out of touch with what its like on the shopfloor and general living wages.
Several times while I was there days after receiving the bonus staff hours were cut to contract hours. I saw people sent home or called up with no real notice to say that the average 30 hours they do has been reduced to 8 hours as per their contract - so they had to use their bonus to pay their rent/mortgage.
I left shortly after this, as there was no help with the store.
Pros
Social Commitee
Cons
Hours are not secure, no full time contract, no faith in management
Excellent company & employer
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire9 September 2018
Wonderful time working at John Lewis, my colleagues were all amazing, very helpful and supportive. I highly recommend working with John Lewis and would be keen to work with them again!
a nice working environment
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant- in Kitchen too (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes8 September 2018
It was a great place to work in, lots of perks and a good amount of breaks.
Straightforward work, good if you like interacting with people. Generally quite fun.
Pros
discounted food in cafe
Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 September 2018
Going through a period of change, not as good to work for as it was in the past.

Cutting pay, removing paid breaks, cutting bonuses, removed premium pay.
Great benefits
HGV Driver (Current Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire8 September 2018
Low weekly hours. Never expected to go beyond your schedule. Still has the best pay and best benefits in the industry if you choose to use them.

Shifts are unsociable, various start finish times. Downside is you are unable to work using your own initiative. Every aspect of the job requires a set procedure which must be followed to the letter. Unfortunately makes for an unhappy workforce somehow.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Mundane, mostly unhappy colleagues (partners)
seasonal
Retail, Various - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire6 September 2018
all in all a positive experience, great company, shame there was no perm position. Great staff canteen, friendly atmosphere, great training.
I recommend.
A brief Summary
Operations (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 September 2018
Good benefits, excellent staff discounts, in the higher bracket of retail companies to work for.

shared ownership is a nice change from typical companies.
Cronyism is a issue in who gets selected for promotion however (was never interested in retail progression myself)
Pros
discount
Cons
hours
Room to expand and grow
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough3 September 2018
Lovely team and environment to work in, friendly staff and management across all departments. Management is always available to help you grow within work and progress .
An Impeccable company
system support technician (Current Employee) –  Westfield2 September 2018
This is a great company to work for, my typical day at work keeps me very stimulated with alot of internal problems to solve. I have learned a good understanding of the systems we use within John Lewis and how we upkeep and support others using those systems. The workplace is friendly and happy with endless amounts of support.
The hardest part of the job is to secure further training as the business is in a transitional period. Speaking with all the partners and coming up with solutions to their problems to make them happy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
irregular hours for family man
great people, just another shop job
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester2 September 2018
John Lewis hire people based on personality which shows as the team are amazing and always happy to help eachother. Its just another shop job with poor money and worse hours
Good Company to Work for.
HGV Class 2 Delivery Driver / Installer (Current Employee) –  Solihull2 September 2018
The best company i have worked for. You are well respected and being a partner instead of employee makes you feel a real part of the business. The bonus scheme is also a great idea.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
N/a
Awful.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham31 August 2018
Short staffed, stressful, not a nice place to work. Managers wander around chatting and laughing while the staffed are stretched to the limit. Not recommended.
Work experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire30 August 2018
Experience in technology department, assisting customers with their requests.
Stock replenishment through a systematic and logical approach.
Friendly working environment
fun work place
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent28 August 2018
great environment to work in loads of benefits
management is great

workplace culture is great
different duties every day

would defo recommend starting out here
benefits
Cons
hours are pretty long
Bullies
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 August 2018
This company used to be great but they have become bullies.
If you work at JL join a trade union before they screw you over.
There is little work life balance and the company are underhand and treat older members of staff and long service like rubbish.
It’s a great company if your face fits.
They victimise and discriminate .
Not a nice place to work like it use to be.
They will brain wash you into the partnership ways.
John Lewis are trading on their past good reputation... don’t be fooled.
They are a dictatorship .
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Bully managers
An example Day at John Lewis Partnership (JLP)
Retail Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Suffolk24 August 2018
I really enjoy the customer facing part of my role as I am a very social person, as I am heavily involved in the John Lewis Partnership card scheme - I find this can be a very interesting part of my working day, Also as I have gained skills within the company over the years - I do enjoy the mentoring part of my day. JLP is a very friendly environment to work in - so this make the role enjoyable. The hardest part of the role is when there is the necessity to monitor and move stock
The best team you can work with.
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough21 August 2018
The job itself is relatively challenging, however it's the general morale of the workplace which brings itself down, but each department is almost like a family environment and you get to know each-other so well and you'll always have friends within John Lewis.
Pros
Cheap food, Great people, Benefits are great
Cons
Morale, Poor staff rota
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waitrose Cheadle Hulme and Menai Bridge20 August 2018
Your typical day at work will begin with reporting to your manager to find your tasks/allocation for the day. There is always something to do and many different tasks and expectations required of the average partner in Waitrose. For example over the years working at Waitrose I am now trained on Operations, Cafe, Welcome Desk, Checkouts, Meat and Fish, Stock Management and replenishment and my shifts and day to day tasks reflect this. You will learn fast if you apply yourself and you can always ask other partners or management for help if you feel stuck or lost!

The workplace culture is not the best, annually we have a great Christmas party but that was about it! There are however plenty of opportunities within the partnership to organise trips and activities at a discounted price for friends/family.

The hardest part of the job is having to deal directly with some very difficult customers but that is part and parcel of retail! It is lovely working at Waitrose at Christmas time as you get to see all the new lines and foods available and there is a generally jolly feel to your working environment. The partner discount card for Waitrose and John Lewis is also a fabulous reward for being a partner.

There is a great family feel to being a partner at Waitrose and this is a great pro of working for the partnership. You feel well connected and looked after in your working environment.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Waitrose however have decided to leave the partnership for personal reasons.
Pros
Discount, Christmas time is great
Cons
Unsociable retail hours, hard work necessary on shift