John Lewis & Partners Employee Review

View all John Lewis & Partners reviews

Work Experince
Salesman (Former Employee) –  North West London, Greater London29 November 2017
A very well organised company who clearly value their staff. Very polite to each other irrespective of anything that may be occurring. An overall pleasant experonce and a chance to see what it’s like to have a time in an actual workplace.
Pros
Lunch Vouchers

Other John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

A workplace with increasingly low morale.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East19 October 2018
At my branch, the current management style leaves a lot to be desired - they seem to lack communication skills. Often people lose out on their holiday due to long periods of time elapsing before a manager even looks at a holiday request despite constant messaging and notes; this has happened routinely and repeatedly.

The managers that are good are brilliant, however it's usual to find several of them hidden in the office throughout the day kicking back with their shoes off laughing and joking with one another while we struggle on the shopfloor.

Given the current climate the business is looking to ways to become more streamlined in its spending. Sadly, they choose not to replace staff that have left but yet they see the need to offer a multi-million pound rebrand. In my branch over fifteen members of staff have left since May without new external replacements. Instead, existing staff have been moved from other areas of the shop to fill the gap, subsequently creating another gap. It's basically plugging a leak and dealing with the next one as and when it comes. The business is employing too many school leavers to fill the part time roles, which is fine but yet they aren't replaced when they inevitably move on after school. Recruitment needs to be looked at. We've had a number of meetings to tell us that the staff situation will not get better, especially over the Christmas period when we're busiest. This wouldn't be such a bitter pill to swallow if all the managers were able to offer a high-level of committment but sadly there seems to be a "them and us" culture in some
  more... levels of the management team.

Despite this, the employees on the shopfloor are a good bunch of hardworking people who are great to work with as part of a team. They're fun to work with and they take pride in the way they work. They're an asset but as I say in my summary, morale is suffering especially since our recent pay reviews which roughly put us all on the same hourly wage but we've become aware that there are a number of smaller stores where the staff, some of them at a lower grade, are already paid a higher hourly premium than the staff at my branch despite being a high performing branch and one of the main stores in the country.

All-in-all, it's a good company to work for but the management culture needs to change and the pressure on the staff to do roles they're not paid for needs to be eased if the wage isn't increased.
Pros
discount
Cons
Unflexible with rotor changes, poor management and planning for the long term.
Fantastic company to work for!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester19 October 2018
With it's unique culture and employee ownership structure, John Lewis & Partners is one of the best companies to work for in retail. Their support and training offer is very good, and there are always opportunities to develop and progress if you are prepared to be mobile.