John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

A workplace with increasingly low morale.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East19 October 2018
At my branch, the current management style leaves a lot to be desired - they seem to lack communication skills. Often people lose out on their holiday due to long periods of time elapsing before a manager even looks at a holiday request despite constant messaging and notes; this has happened routinely and repeatedly.

The managers that are good are brilliant, however it's usual to find several of them hidden in the office throughout the day kicking back with their shoes off laughing and joking with one another while we struggle on the shopfloor.

Given the current climate the business is looking to ways to become more streamlined in its spending. Sadly, they choose not to replace staff that have left but yet they see the need to offer a multi-million pound rebrand. In my branch over fifteen members of staff have left since May without new external replacements. Instead, existing staff have been moved from other areas of the shop to fill the gap, subsequently creating another gap. It's basically plugging a leak and dealing with the next one as and when it comes. The business is employing too many school leavers to fill the part time roles, which is fine but yet they aren't replaced when they inevitably move on after school. Recruitment needs to be looked at. We've had a number of meetings to tell us that the staff situation will not get better, especially over the Christmas period when we're busiest. This wouldn't be such a bitter pill to swallow if all the managers were able to offer a high-level of committment but sadly there seems to be a "them and us" culture in some
  more... levels of the management team.

Despite this, the employees on the shopfloor are a good bunch of hardworking people who are great to work with as part of a team. They're fun to work with and they take pride in the way they work. They're an asset but as I say in my summary, morale is suffering especially since our recent pay reviews which roughly put us all on the same hourly wage but we've become aware that there are a number of smaller stores where the staff, some of them at a lower grade, are already paid a higher hourly premium than the staff at my branch despite being a high performing branch and one of the main stores in the country.

All-in-all, it's a good company to work for but the management culture needs to change and the pressure on the staff to do roles they're not paid for needs to be eased if the wage isn't increased.
Pros
discount
Cons
Unflexible with rotor changes, poor management and planning for the long term.
Unhealthy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2018
Unfortunately the promise of a far and supportive environment is not there anymore. The staff at your level are supportive. The head office do not recognize the work and value of shop workers and are treated with contempt. It was very disappointing to find this from such a great brand.
Pros
discount if you can afford the products
Cons
Canteen poor. No chanse of promotion within 5 years.
Fun
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 October 2018
The people I worked with definitely made the experience so it was never boring! The managers also weren't too dominating. The breaks were fairly flexible as well.
Pros
Cheap lunches
Cons
Have to pay for breaks.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2018
Amazing atmosphere, co workers and management. Family oriented workplace. Typical 9-5 hours. Helpful supervisors and lovely customers. Overall a really nice experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent19 September 2018
Very good company to work for with great benefits. Benefits offered include training, good staff discount for family and friends and good holiday allowance.
Too many chiefs
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham10 September 2018
The company very rarely gives an employee a full time contract, they get limited hours to 'allow flexibility'
The upper management (head office) are out of touch with what its like on the shopfloor and general living wages.
Several times while I was there days after receiving the bonus staff hours were cut to contract hours. I saw people sent home or called up with no real notice to say that the average 30 hours they do has been reduced to 8 hours as per their contract - so they had to use their bonus to pay their rent/mortgage.
I left shortly after this, as there was no help with the store.
Pros
Social Commitee
Cons
Hours are not secure, no full time contract, no faith in management
Excellent company & employer
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire9 September 2018
Wonderful time working at John Lewis, my colleagues were all amazing, very helpful and supportive. I highly recommend working with John Lewis and would be keen to work with them again!
Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 September 2018
Going through a period of change, not as good to work for as it was in the past.

Cutting pay, removing paid breaks, cutting bonuses, removed premium pay.
Room to expand and grow
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough3 September 2018
Lovely team and environment to work in, friendly staff and management across all departments. Management is always available to help you grow within work and progress .
fun work place
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent28 August 2018
great environment to work in loads of benefits
management is great

workplace culture is great
different duties every day

would defo recommend starting out here
benefits
Cons
hours are pretty long
Bullies
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 August 2018
This company used to be great but they have become bullies.
If you work at JL join a trade union before they screw you over.
There is little work life balance and the company are underhand and treat older members of staff and long service like rubbish.
It’s a great company if your face fits.
They victimise and discriminate .
Not a nice place to work like it use to be.
They will brain wash you into the partnership ways.
John Lewis are trading on their past good reputation... don’t be fooled.
They are a dictatorship .
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Bully managers
Good Company to Work for - Pays well
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London16 August 2018
Good company to work for as the management structure is very well organised. Were always very understanding with my college work and sorted me hours that worked for me.
Pros
Great Pay, Smart Uniform, Good Management
Experience
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow4 August 2018
John Lewis was good work experience, I learned a lot about customer service, stock management, and product knowledge that would help me on making sales at the work placement
Great Introduction to a professional work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells2 August 2018
As a student leaving school John Lewis really helped me gain greater professionalism in the workplace and presented me with a new attitude towards work.
Pros
Good opportunities.
Cons
The company isn't what it used to be
Explotive, corrupt managers no union.. managers misuse power.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Pancras, Greater London, Heathrow31 July 2018
Very good company with good ethcs but the current managers are ruining it for the employees. They will use you to get up the ladder and break the rules and the rest of the managers cover them up. Boring and monotonous work. Good for someone with basic skills. No training when you first join. Managers are misusing their powers.
You will only know if you experience it
Pros
Discounts and benefits
Cons
No union and bad corrupt management
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford30 July 2018
the staff were incredibly friendly and I felt at home. I didn't feel any pressure in the workplace it felt easy to perform the tasks designated to me.
Pros
breakfast and lunch are provided and the staff are friendly.
Cons
your on your feet for hours but that retail for you
Not much progression
Beauty Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire24 July 2018
Enjoyed the people that I work with, however very quiet in my department, which is beauty, and I have found that there is also not much room for improvement or progression.
productive, welcoming and caring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent17 July 2018
a typical day of working as a sales assistant at John Lewis involved, making sure that the floor I was working on was tidy, clear and organised. mostly working on the cashier serving customers making conversation with the customers ensuring that they are satisfied with the customer service they have been provided with.
when working at John Lewis I leant that you have to be very patient with people. I learned how to communicate better with customers and become much more confident. I also learnt how to use a cashier which was very fun and will help me a lot in my future if I ever become a sales assistant again.
when working at John Lewis met some lovely people that I will not forget, they made my time working at John Lewis very enjoyable.
the hardest part of my Job was the long hours that I was doing after it only being my first proper job the hours left me very tired by the end of the night.
the most enjoyable part of the job was defiantly meeting the amazing people that I became friends with. also being welcomed so nicely and fitting in as much as I did I quickly found my self being able to do jobs independently.
Pros
long lunch breaks, lovely people who work there
great employer
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Watford16 July 2018
Great company, have been employed for over 3 years.

Great training and loads of benefits for partners. Highly recommend.

The application process is very legnthly.
Pros
partner discount and lots of benefits
Cons
late hours
Fun yet challenging
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes14 July 2018
Working at John Lewis grew my confidence in the year that I worked there as well as enabling me to meet new people. Management was at times not great.
Pros
Good pay