John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews for Catering Assistant

Found 67 reviews matching the search See all 1,400 reviews
good
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  cribs causeway30 September 2018
great team to work with, hard working members of staff and a hands on management team. Fun workplace culture. Customer service demands can be hard, but customer satisfaction makes up for it.
Pros
free meals
Cons
hard work
Great place to work, great benefits and lovely working environment.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton7 August 2018
I had to privilege to have worked with some fantastic people while working at The Place to Eat in Southampton, all of which made my experience all the more better.

The management were lovely, and I felt I could approach them about anything that was of concern, and felt that there was room for me to impact some of the decisions that were made in response.

Something I enjoyed was the great customer service that John Lewis strive to provide to their customers, which I actively tried to bring to everyday of my work.

I learnt a great deal and if I had planned to stay there for a longer period, I know there was a great deal more I could have learned and progressed through different departments of the store.
Team orientated cafe assistant role
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire2 August 2018
A typical day at work involved managing the operation of the cafe, serving customers and abiding by strict food hygiene regulations. The staff were friendly and many members became close friends for life. The management team were mostly friendly during my time there. The role taught me the importance of customer satisfaction and always striving to meet the needs of the customer. My interpersonal skills greatly improved as a consequence of being a front-of-house staff member. The hardest part of the job was handling the cafe at busy times of the year, especially around Christmas. The best part of the job was working around friendly and hard working people.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Free Lunch, Diverse working environment
Cons
Difficult customers
Productive and fun workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Edinburgh30 July 2018
A large group of very helpful and social employees, set in a good working enviroment. Hard working atmosphere that creates a very desrirable place to work.
Work here its ok
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich12 June 2018
This is a very ok place to work. If you are looking for an exciting fulfilling and advance your life goals maybe try somewhere else. Though it is nice place to work.
poor management , amazing salary and benefits
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire6 June 2018
Very tiring and hard job but the benefits are exceptional with a great salary and good discounts. 2/3 of the managers failed to work well with the fast paced environment.
Friendly
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire21 May 2018
It was a supportive and friendly environment. I didn't work there for long but felt like a member of the team straight away. Wage was above minimum and lots of opportunities for extra shifts.
very caring company good management flexibility is allowed regarding working days
Catering Assistant and Waitress (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 May 2018
excellent company to work for very caring managers very flexible working rotas lots of
benefits good discount plenty.of opportunities to improve yourself within the company
Pros
good leisure benefits
Cons
You learn new skills and is good for interacting with the public
Catering Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Watford22 February 2018
In this job you can learn new skills. At John Lewis customer service is very important and they are considered partners. We are pushed to be able to do the best job possible and create a pleasant environment for both the partners and the staff. The management could be improved in terms of organisation however our management has a genuine interest in our wellbeing. In this job i've learnt a lot of social skills and it has helped me to be able to work in a team successfully. A typical day at work will be making coffees, serving food and cleaning, it's sometimes stressful but its good overall.
Pros
Free lunches and good holiday time
Cons
Sometimes poor management
Christmas temp
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire8 January 2018
Got taken on for a few months after leaving university. Fairly standard job serving tea and coffee to shoppers in the store cafe. Was a minimum wage position but full time on a rolling three week rota meant I took home a decent pay packet at the time. I had my contact extended for an additional month, but poor timing with the 2008 financial crash meant that a permanent position was unavailable.
Pros
Good atmosphere, brilliant canteen, friendly colleagues
Cons
Minimum wage, only a temporary position
Hardworking
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent2 January 2018
Working in their cafe area, it was always hectic and busy. Like most workplaces, it was under-staffed. With just a couple more staff, the place would have ran a lot smoother. Enjoyed the work and the fellow employees, although some managers were, well, managers.
Poor management and shattered expectations
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 December 2017
I Joined John Lewis Birmingham we had three weeks worth of training which was fantastic I couldnt have asked for a better experience , before the store had opened with ‘partners’ who had worked for stores across the country. When the store was open the Birmingham branch has a self service style and none of the food was made fresh on store. The shift where long, tiring, you would often struggle to have you break. You spend most the day on your feet and having long shift, you lose out on your social life and family life due to the little time you get. Once you got into the catering work flow it was okay it will has busy periods and very very quite.The section manger has poor attitude and was more focused on they own progression than they own. The duty of care as my health deterated and they seems to get work. The excuse where your ‘partner’ your an employee who may get a bonus in May, if you state opinions they will not be valued. Beware of work they Manger’s have they favourites and they is a lot of work politics, but the discount aren’t to bad and some of the benefits are good.
Pros
Looks good on Cv
Cons
Bad management too many hours and a lot of work drama
Great experience
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire23 November 2017
A great employer to work for as they treat all of their staff with respect. They were very welcoming and offered plenty of training. Fantastic environment to work in.
Horrible staff, hard work, brainwashed
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 November 2017
Never been so glad to leave a place in my life. Some of the staff were awful ranging from rude and insulting to bullying. Work is very hard and it’s all about money. Using your initiative was deemed causing issue and being a non individual robotic worker the aim. A tanoy would tell you all about their sales progress in the morning as you trudged in and how much money they wanted to make. Felt like you were being brainwashed like Metropolis or 1984. Also very stuck up, middle class customers. AVOID.
Pros
Free lunch and discounts
Cons
Everything else!
Fantastic
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff27 October 2017
I worked in the catering department amount many other areas, its great its busy but its great, you get a bonus every year. your wage goes up every year if you work hard. cant fault it, exellent company to work for. I wish i never left.
Pros
catering get free food. bonus
Cons
retail
Fun
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 September 2017
a good place to work i would say it was a perfect stepping stone for me to help provide me with money for my summer and experience for my future jobs. As a student this was a good place to work for me.
Pros
free meals
Cons
time for time hours
Professional
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 August 2017
Very professional business that makes you feel at home as well as very important while working. Its a very nice environment to work in, the staff are great.
Your typical sales assistant job
Newbury Part-time Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire16 July 2017
Your typical sales assistant job, you get what's on the tin really. I guess the salary is quite competative for this sort of job and the staff was very nice at the branch I worked at.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Understaffed
Excellent Work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff23 May 2017
Excellent working environment with a supportive management and close knit team, however sometimes management couldn't challenge other members of the team in appropriate situations.
You don't know what you've got until it's gone..
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire8 May 2017
Spent 3 years working for John Lewis and you really don't know how good you've got it until it's gone. The pay was exceptional, the benefits never ending, including leisure opportunities, branch holidays, and various discounts for a whole load of companies.

Towards the end of my time at John Lewis, staff numbers were cut the annual bonus kept falling and less and less pay rises given out but every company are trying to make money as and where they can so I can't see this as being the companies issue.

Obviously progression routes are there if you're keen to go into retail management (which I wasn't). It's also pretty easy to transfer departments/branches if you fancy a change.

Very friendly atmosphere amongst partners, everybody seemed to know each other and it was very easy to make friends and get to know people that worked in other depts.

Overall a bloody excellent company and if I could go back and do it all again, I would!
Pros
Pay, discounts, friendly family feel to the company
Cons
Lack of progression other then retail management