John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews in Newcastle upon Tyne

Good company
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 April 2018
One of the lasting companies to offer competitive pensions.

Working with a diverse group of people who work well together.
I enjoyed selling and get great pleasure in ensuring customer satisfaction,
Fun and vibrant place to work with great benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom1 March 2018
John Lewis offers some of the best employee benefits you can imagine, there is always discounts at other stores and other activities going on. The business is always progressing and constantly training staff so they are always getting better.
Temporary Christmas Sales Assistant
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 January 2018
Working at John lewis was easy, as a Christmas temp i walked around making sure products were on display properly and helped customers out with their queries. The pay was good and most of the staff were friendly
Pros
Pay
Cons
The management left me to figure things out by myself immediately which was difficult
Lovely place
Training (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 September 2017
Lovely friendly staff and always on hand to help they always sell great products and great variety with great prices, I enjoyed working the counters and interacting with the customer, it gave me a feeling of satisfaction.
Value and commitment
Chef (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne30 July 2017
John Lewis values both its partners and customers. Their aim is to continually be the best in the market. Over my years at John Lewis I have improved on both people skills and team work. I have also trained staff to achieve various qualifications.
Fun working enviroment
Chef (Current Employee) –  Newcastle Eldon Square5 July 2017
My work involves day to day catering working on different sections in the brasserie and the Place to Eat as well as the Partners Dining Room.
We have morning meetings for expected sales, any problems and put forward ideas towards the business which I have done on a regular basis which I have experience in business looking ahead and seek oppertunities.
We work on different sections and well experienced in the pastry department and all other sections and give customer great experience which I enjoy.
Pros
Free meals, staff discounts, shower facilities, Christmas parties, events.
Cons
Split shifts, late nights.
Good Weekend Job
Selling Partner (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 March 2017
The partnership is a good place to work part time, it has good pay and good benefits for partners and it is a rewarding job. The relationships formed in departments are excellent and it becomes more like a family. However, I'm not sure how got it would be full time as there is little chance to progress unless you are willing to move about.
Varied challenges, great athmosphere
Selling coach (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 February 2017
In the past 9 years, I have held many roles and achieved numerous accredited qualifications to earn the respect of my peers and superiors alike. Skill I gained include:
⎫ accustomed to multi-tasking,
⎫ working in liaison with others to achieve full potential,
⎫ I coached others to accomplish higher positions,
⎫ knowledge of consumer profiles and requirements,
⎫ use of specific and relevant product knowledge,
⎫ quick and efficient problem solving skills,
⎫ merchandising informed by market research trends,
⎫ high standards of customer service,
⎫ thorough knowledge internal IT systems.
Pros
employee benefits
Cons
late opening hours, long days
working benefits
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear13 December 2016
The benefits of working for John Lewis are what separates John Lewis from any other retailer. The bonus i received each year really made me feel appreciated in the company.
Shop floor
Retire (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 July 2016
John Lewis is not what it seems to be , they look in the public eye bot behind the scenes they are not the best very under staffed pressure is put on all staff. It looks good on paper but in reality it's naff
Pros
Good holiday homes but getting expensive as wages are not catching up
Cons
Over worked, underpaid, too many chiefs very few Indians
nice staff bad management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 July 2016
nice enough place to work however not enough staff and my encounter of management was unfortunate. Although experience form other department management was great. Benefits are fantastic and customers are great too as well as nice colleagues.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
managament
The Best Job I ever had :)
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne28 June 2016
A typical day at work would be to be at the tills doing all sorts of work, ordering stock for customers, sending stock to warehouse for preparation, customer returns, all sorts of things really that usually a manager does, in JL we have to do ourselves, it is so challenging yet so rewarding :) The manager and the staff is more friendly then any one. The customers too are friendly, uniform is smart and casual, the pay is very good and the most generous thing is the long breaks which they give :)
Pros
amazing pay, breaks, uniform, friendly management and staff and huge bonus
Cons
no cons
customer service
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  newcastle centre22 June 2016
I worked as a volunteer no money to gain work experience, I worked in a clothes section helping the customer with clothes issue.
Pros
kind dealing
Cons
long hours standing
productive and professional work place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne1 June 2016
my experience at john lewis gave me the skills and qualities needed to work in the retail industry while working in a fast paced environment, i took a lot of responsibility independently by handling customers needs and proving high quality customer service.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours and shifts
Great experience
Seasonal Temporary Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne19 May 2016
A typical day at work included working on the till, advising customers as well as processing returns and helping customers with online orders. Providing excellent customer service was the key priority.

I learnt how special event nights were marketed and organised and how employees worked together from all departments in order to maximise sales.

Managers allowed me to work flexibly around my university timetable and offered me extra hours, encouraging me to get involved with different aspects of the company.

My co-workers were extremely helpful and encouraged me to be involved in new tasks such as cashing up.

The hardest part of the job was when the customer wanted a product which was out of stock in-store and seeing them disappointed. However I was always able to explain other options such as assisting them with an online order or click and collect.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers.
Helping customers with their needs, having them thank you and then leaving having had a pleasant experience was rewarding.
Pros
friendly staff, opportunity to progress within the company
Fantastic place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG27 September 2015
Fantastic place to work. I enjoyed every minute and looked forward to going to work. Co-workers were more like one big family. Was very sad to leave, only left due to University. If i had the choice I would probably still be there in 10 years time.

Lacked enough staff to sometimes get the job done, but you could always rely on your team.
Pros
Fantastic benefit system. Lots of incentives.
Cons
Sometimes unsociable hours.
Excellent company
Commis chef (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG21 July 2015
Vibrant location and people with the vision for the business.
High quality food and precision of merchandising to customer needs
Fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG15 November 2014
I was working in John Lewis as part of my placement at college. Working in the pastry section was fun I learnt a lot about how to work as a team and help everyone.
Management was great they were very easy to get on with and were very helpful when needed.
I enjoyed working at John Lewis mainly because of the people I worked with they were very friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was leaving I really enjoyed working there and would like to work there again.
Pros
The People
Productive but unbalanced workplace
KITCHEN PORTER (Current Employee) –  Newcastle21 September 2014
A typical day at work is very hectic, busy and stressful.
The infrastructure of the company seems to be in a state of transition as mangers are passed around departments, showing no specialties and no attempts to establish a long term management team who can listen to and resolve issues. i feel that, on a daily basis, i go above and beyond what my pay grade should allow: e.g. informing managers if there is going to be a shortage/surplus of staff on a certain day and then sorting out the shifts to balance staff; informing staff of rota changes; creating and putting in place an accountability system in order to reduce wasted crockery (and therefore revenue); ensuring all kitchen staff receive timely breaks and then organising these so that there is no deficit in work quality; supporting mangers in collecting customer feedback and reviews.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of team work and mutual support, the lack of effective management and the increasing cost cutting measures the company is implementing.
Pros
Free lunch, annual bonus.
Cons
Hard/manual work, little support, ineffective managemet, no team work, no feedback for complaints, etc.
productive and fun
Clerical worker and Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG21 August 2014
It was a great place to gain retail working ethnics. I learned main Responsibilities: Alphabetically rearranged documents, cleaning and maintenance of stationary cupboards, safe disposal of files and records, shop floor maintenance, customer service, providing product knowledge.
Skills Gained: Organisation, team work, confidence, communication skills, working with initiative, basic clerical skills, and excellent customer service skills.
Pros
work experience