John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews in London

Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 September 2018
Going through a period of change, not as good to work for as it was in the past.

Cutting pay, removing paid breaks, cutting bonuses, removed premium pay.
Bullies
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 August 2018
This company used to be great but they have become bullies.
If you work at JL join a trade union before they screw you over.
There is little work life balance and the company are underhand and treat older members of staff and long service like rubbish.
It’s a great company if your face fits.
They victimise and discriminate .
Not a nice place to work like it use to be.
They will brain wash you into the partnership ways.
John Lewis are trading on their past good reputation... don’t be fooled.
They are a dictatorship .
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Bully managers
Customer service
Sales (Current Employee) –  London2 August 2018
Giving excellent customer service and support to help maximize sales, making sure that customers return making sure they have a good experience and that every sale is served with a smile
Benefits
Cons
Pay for lunch
Productive & Fun Workplace - Poor Management
SALES ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 August 2018
The company is currently going through a period of great reorganisation due to the difficult time on the High Street. This role would be great for a school/college/university graduate wanting to get into the field of retail. The company is very focussed on training all staff to a high standard. The role on the shop floor varies some days are quiet others you are rushed off your feet. Management are poor there seems to be no sense of direction many staff have left and not been replaced putting stress and extra work on remaining staff. Dealing with Customers and helping them the most nicest part of the job. The hours are very long and the salary is very low if you start off as a Selling Assistant. Employee Benefits are excellent although the annual bonus gets lower year on year as it depends on profit and may not be around for much longer.
Pros
Partner Discount
Cons
Low Pay, Long Hours, Weekend Working
wasting the time
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 July 2018
I worked there for four weeks very hard as a slave and they didn't teach any things and at the end they will give you unfair feedback, do not waste your time to work there, they don't treat you as a colleague or the person who like to learn but like a labor.
Pros
nothings
Cons
every things
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 July 2018
Working as part of a wider store team, driving vehicles to transport stock
merchandise to & from the warehouse to specified customer destinations.
scheduling delivery times & presenting bills & collecting payments
Poor Management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
The current direction of the business has no aim, as most of the older staff have left who were passionate about this company, the new staffs all do not care much where the business is heading, especially the young managers, who only care about the money and not the business.
Workplace
Food Halls Assistant (Current Employee) –  London18 June 2018
The management was very flexible and considerate as well in giving me work schedules that would fit my university timetable. I have learned so much about the importance of stock rotations in order to limit the wastage in the food service. The hardest part of this job was that to ensure all the stocks are ordered on time and with the right amount based on the demands. If not, there may be problems with delays and low stocks. Usually, it would require a lot of cleaning when setting up and closing down and I particularly enjoyed this part of my shift.
Overall, working in John Lewis has developed many of my working skills. I have enjoyed working in such a supportive and happy team that it created such a joyful working environment.
Pros
Flexible hours
Productive and caring workspace
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
Each day in the morning the staff meet at their space on the shop floor and have a discussion on their goals for that day. All staff at John Lewis at Brent Cross were very friendly and were happy to help me get started. I was given a tour of my department and met all the staff of the specific department.
Pros
Staff Canteen
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
Usually quite busy, management was great; the managers were very understanding and helpful. The staff were great fun, bubbly and really dependable.

The only downside of working there was the condescending, pretentious, patronizing customers.
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  London/Bracknell2 June 2018
A fun loving diverse environment that people can blend very easily but the salaries are not so great!.....................................................
Appreciate what you have got
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London27 May 2018
I loved my time at John Lewis, they were incredibly supportive, encouraged development, had great benefits and it was a nice environment. It has changed a lot recently and time will tell if these changes are for the better. Many of the people who complain about the company have never worked anywhere else and so I don't think they fully appreciate the benefits and security they have.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bonus has taken a hit in recent years
Great Place to Work
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  London UK8 May 2018
No day was ever the same. I would meet different customers with different remarks.

learn how to multitask as sometime I would have to work different section at the same time;this may because of staff shortages.

Each week there was different menu which I would need to learn to ensure that I had a good understanding of what I am preparing and serving. This made my role interesting as I was always doing something new.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bonus
Productive and Fun Work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith London4 May 2018
The company helped me cater my skills and handle customers with professionally. It was a very good workplace because of its being diverse which allows our day-to-day job enjoyable.
Demanding but Fair
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 April 2018
Targets were always upper most in your daily work. Work colleagues were very professional. I learned customer service at John Lewis and use these valuable skills on a daily basis.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
poor pay and progression opportunities
Hard work,good money, poor managment
Installer/drivers mate (Current Employee) –  London10 April 2018
The job is about delivering heavy goods to customers and providing services such as installation of white goods, tv's, assembling furniture. The customers have high expectations therefore can be a pain. Long hours, poor management but high salary
Pros
High hourly rate
productive partnership
Selling Partner/Partner voice rep (Current Employee) –  London2 April 2018
I have learned a great deal while working for the partnership, I have enjoyed my time working for john lewis, I have met some lovely people and have picked up many many life skills over the years.
Pros
family feeling different and unique to the rest of the retail stores out there
Cons
long hours and weekends
Excellent Company
Stock Controller (Current Employee) –  London1 April 2018
One of the best companies to work for. Very compassionate, easy going, good holidays and decent pay. Management and colleagues are very easy to get along with.
Never hired.
Applicant for JLP Partnership (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
I spend an entire 1/5 hour to finish the application and online test, walked 3 miles to the interview. But instead they have outsourced WCN recruitment tool that picks keywords and hires only three candidates a time. This company promises equal opportunities but doesn't live to the word for equal opportunity, merit, knowledge or talent. Yet sad fact they used my energy and hope and the decision was no-hire. From that point I got disappointed with John Lewis. I would have added great professional outcome here, I would buy into the company and join its Partnership, and understood the economics of the company culture. I was a customer in the past but no longer. Rivals M&S, HoF, and Debs will be my choice now.

Now they have to deal with employees with lower hostile mindset. It's the loss for John Lewis if they disregard me. If you offer benefits or Finance to your partners and none of the assets are used by employees, renders useless. Demand is low enough in our economy. John Lewis lost on a valuable person.
Cons
No hire decision
Amazing culture, however lacking in structure
IT Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Victoria22 March 2018
John Lewis are an incredible Company to work for in terms of the way they treat their staff. Non-aggressive manner and people do matter. However, the downfall of this is that where everyone has a say, it causes complications, delays and a lack of organisational structure, which creates chaos. A huge shame.