John Lewis & Partners
Coronavirus update
Information from John Lewis & Partners:

John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews in High Wycombe

High Wycombe41 reviews
Good company to work for.Must be a team player.Must be customer orientated.Must have a flexible approach to work.Need to enjoy working with the public.
Staff are treated like slaves as more staff leave the ones left are working 3 times as much. The wages are less than asda for non management. Managers are inconpitant.
Lovely colleagues and environment to work. Can be stressful at busy times but as expected in any retail job. Taught me lots of skills such as team work, money handling and good customer service and helped me build my confidence of talking to people.
Good place to work for friendly fast pacedsalery is minimum only downfall training is excellent managers are OK you get plenty of support I guess you have to start from bottom
JLP is not for everyone, the internal culture is at first very strange to the uninitiated & though training, particularly in the technical departments is
good, for those in the non-selling side is at best inconsistent.

The bonus is often needed for most staff, though the vacation sites are

very good & staff discount can go a lot further when in combination with

some offers

Hours are generally very flexible, though at peak (October- January) holidays will only be granted in special circumstances
Accepting early retirement/redundancy
However is a very complex organisation, many roles in a variety non selling and selling posts & just as many hours to suit.
No chance to progress unless you've been in the company for many years or if you are willing to suck up to management and spy on your colleagues and then go and tell management what they are up to in their personal lives and at work.
The culture is one that was developed by Spedan Lewis himself at the time when people held slaves as property , so it isn't relevant to our times. As a selling assistant you will be treated like a servant by customers and management and even other colleagues if you allow them to do so. Pay review takes place once a year during witch you are told that you are doing very well ( after you work really hard all year ) but you still have to improve in some areas so will only get a minimum pay raise. Again , it doesn matter that you are doing your job excellent , all that matters is that you obey management and then you will gwt a higher pay raise. Would not recommend applying for jobs there
Pros
Some work colleagues
Cons
No progression, no support, low pay.
The job itself is extremely boring with long hours, rude customers and managers who find every excuse under the sun the antagonise and demean you. Often I have nothing to do and just standing around. Non work conversations between partners are scrutinised, and often you’re not even allowed within 10 metres of each other before being told to go to a certain area that you must stay in until told otherwise.
Customers are perhaps the rudest I’ve ever seen in my life, with complaints for the most menial things being rewarded with a free coffee and cake voucher.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
Long hours, boring job, rude customers
good place to work pay starts out quite low but with yearly pay reviews it can be a great place to work.they do care about there staff great benefits too.
John Lewis is definitely no longer the amazing company it used to be. This is a company where the management is so poor and you really are just a number- there’s so many employees in the partnership and everyone is treated as being replaceable. The hours are extremely long and you are expected to stay late and work extra around Christmas- and the money does not reflect this at all. The perks outside of work are good as you can receive discounts in numerous restaurants etc. The food in the partner dining areas is very affordable however it is the exact same food served to the public (but the price is practically tripled!). Managers also coerce you into doing things that you do not want to.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours and shocking management
a fun place to work, good pay and lots of benefits of working here.

would definitely work here again

the food is very cheap aswell and all the staff are very nice and welcoming
The management team is very helpful and willing to give the best training. Friendly employees who you can conversations with and a range of ages so loads of communication. Good staff cafeteria and facilities. Loved the staff reward incentives and opportunities to develop employable skills.
You get out what you put in, room to progress. A lot of Partner benefits and a good management program. Being a co-owner you have you chance to make a change.
I have worked for over a year now, my first job and I absolutely hate it, i have not progressed until the 11month of being there. Constantly doing everyones dirty work.
Pros
Free lunches only if your a caterer
Cons
Constantly on your feet, not appreciated whatsoever
I worked in the night team for stock replenishment, meaning that I worked through the night, 4 nights a week. This was tough mentally to start with but gradually became the norm. It was however, tough on my personal life as I missed all the normal activities I would normally do during the daytime (As I was catching up on sleep). The job as a whole was quite simple and the work environment was quite an enjoyable one. The management were fairly relaxed, almost too much. There were also many issues in the first couple of months (with many of the employees), mostly to do with pay. However, this was eventually sorted for everyone.
Cons
Night Shift
A good place to learn about work, fast-paced and enjoyable. Unfortunately salary was low and main benefits were staff disounts (which were quite high)
Liked working there they were not able to offer a part time post. Very different from my previous career but liked talking and selling to customers. You will be required to work every other weekend and on those weekend it is the full opening hours (long days).
Pros
Nice staff, good experience
Cons
Long hours on your feet, working every other weekend
Every day is busy in the life of a merchandiser but it is really useful work and you feel useful - even if sometimes you don't get recognised by managers. It is a great stepping stone for advancing in the company and it is well received on a CV. Also, there are a lot of 'nice' people that work for John Lewis so you're always guaranteed to get along with people. The hardest part of the job is working so hard for the pay. Pay does go up every year if you achieve but not by much!
Pros
Cheap lunches, interesting work
Cons
Pay
I was brought in as a sales assistant over the peak period at Christmas, along with around 30 other people. The job was pleasant, mostly quiet except for a few days around black friday and between Christmas and New Year.
Mainly spent time on the till, helping customers and keeping the store replenished, although performed an annual stock take at the end of the contract.

Often management didn't know where we were assigned on certain days or took a long time to respond to queries.

The main complaint I have is that we were assured that if we worked hard there would be jobs for the majority of people brought in, a statement echoed by every employee in the store, however in the last week of the contract (too late for our notice to be given) we were told that none of us would be able to stay on.
Cons
Often late finishes
good places to work, very busy, hones people skills and customer facing experience.Lots of interaction with customers and you meet lots of new people. Good practice for multitssking
Pros
Prestigious
Cons
Very busy
A basic Retail company who no longer values its staff unfortunately.

as times change and as recession hits, all benefits are starting to leave the company, next will be the bonus.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis & Partners. Our community is ready to answer.