John Lewis & Partners Employee Reviews

Amazing customer service
Intern: Customer Service and Export (Former Employee) –  London, UK5 December 2018
It was a real eye opener for me working at John Lewis.
They taught me what real customer service is and how a company can actually care for their customers.

Salary isn't the highest but a good culture and company that looks after staff.
Pros
Partnership
Cons
Older generation of staff are lazy
Not the best
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, England, UK3 December 2018
I have worked for over a year now, my first job and I absolutely hate it, i have not progressed until the 11month of being there. Constantly doing everyones dirty work.
Pros
Free lunches only if your a caterer
Cons
Constantly on your feet, not appreciated whatsoever
Basic job
Packer (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes27 November 2018
Everything is okay, just a basic job in a warehouse. No heavy lifting, atmosphere is good, everyone is friendly and helpful. The only bad thing is that it is difficult to get the contract and it's just a temporary job.
Seasonal application
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire26 November 2018
Very disappointed with seasonal recruitment in Leeds, not the standard I would expect from JL. I was successful at the assessment ( having passed 2 tests and an assessment centre) to be told they did not have a shift that would suit me but I would be added to a candidate pool they dip into regularly ( as advised at the assessment event).
I heard nothing further from them ever again - not even querying if I would like to continue waiting as there were no opportunities at present. Having made 2 trips to library to complete their tests ( you weren’t able to complete on a tablet) and attended an event at the store surely a courtesy email could be generated when there were no opportunities, as it was implied there may be some at a later date.
I missed some other opportunities and spent time and money on this application. Not the standard I expected.
Fun, dynamic and fast paced work environment - which I feel I very much thrived in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton22 November 2018
A typical day working as a sales assistant involved about a 50/50 split between being on the checkouts and circulating the shop floor chatting to customers, assisting them and driving sales. I learnt how to deal with the general public and how to maintain great customer service. Most importantly I learnt how to prioritise tasks and use quick initiative. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with unhappy customers or angry customers - but I quickly learnt how to professionally, politely and calmly approach situations like these. Overall it was a very fun working environment, I thoroughly enjoyed working with my colleagues and working for John Lewis & Partners. (I especially loved the store at Christmas time, such a great festive atmosphere!)
fun place to work
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 November 2018
great place to work, pay is okay, management is respectful, good democratic culture, flexible, good bonuses, opportunities for development, can get stressful at busy times.
Friendly and supportive work environment.
Visual Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich19 November 2018
I really enjoyed my Year 11 Work Experience at John Lewis. I worked in the visual merchandising department which I thoroughly enjoyed. I got to be very creative on the job by painting walls and dressing mannequins. I also learnt new retail skills such as talking to customers and stock management.
Pros
Free lunches
average
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Reading19 November 2018
I worked at JL during the busy christmas period which was okay but after christmas it was so quiet it became boring and for a student I found the staff not overly diverse so maybe would consider going part time once im older.
Co ownership
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset18 November 2018
Good place to work and prides itself on Partnership values. Opportunities for development can be limited but working hard gets you there. A stable job for someone.
Fairly average job
Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire17 November 2018
I worked in the night team for stock replenishment, meaning that I worked through the night, 4 nights a week. This was tough mentally to start with but gradually became the norm. It was however, tough on my personal life as I missed all the normal activities I would normally do during the daytime (As I was catching up on sleep). The job as a whole was quite simple and the work environment was quite an enjoyable one. The management were fairly relaxed, almost too much. There were also many issues in the first couple of months (with many of the employees), mostly to do with pay. However, this was eventually sorted for everyone.
Cons
Night Shift
Its okay
Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 November 2018
Job is okay, but its not a career I would like to do for the rest of my life. But working on condense shifts means i get more of a social life and thats the best thing.
Fun place to work
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire14 November 2018
Working at John Lewis was great, all staff are very friendly as are the managers. The only issue I found with working at John Lewis was the fact that the hours were unsociable.
Pros
Free lunch, friendly environment, good pay
Good fun
Hospitality assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon13 November 2018
great place to work over Christmas had a really good time! pay was very reasonable. you get treated very well. free food and drink for all the staff. You get looked after very well.
Friendly atmosphere, gained a wide range of experience
Customer Service/Operations/Stock Management (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex13 November 2018
The Brighton branch has some really friendly people, management are supportive and flexible as long as you are hard working, benefits and community are a real bonus, pay is decent
Pros
flexible, good quality staff meals, benefits
Cons
at times hard to get enough hours through overtime
Caring employer
WAREHOUSE OPERATIVE (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 November 2018
I enjoyed my time at John Lewis PLC and was given many opportunities.
I only left once I had gained new qualifications at college and wanted to seek employment in that field.
Variety within a day
Customer Services Assistant/Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading11 November 2018
Great managers and colleagues to work with. Accomodating work culture that treats partners fairly and with respect. Learned so much and met wonderful people.
Part Time Only
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire9 November 2018
John Lewis is a good place to work if you are a young person and its a part time fix, but to move forward there you need to truly be devoted to becoming buddy with the management if you don't plan to do that you won't be noticed no matter what you do.
You all work as a floor these days so be prepared to have to have knowledge about practically everything.
The environment in some departments can literally drag you down they are so miserable especially now with all the cuts they have made.
Be prepared for really arrogant customers as they've spent all this money to shop in John Lewis they expect better.
Pros
25% Discount, Lots of other discount tickets and exclusive events
Cons
The hours are awful you never really have a weekend off or time to yourself
Customer service and complaints advisor
Just (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon8 November 2018
Start the computer, set up your profile and for the rest of the day deal with orders, deliveries and complaints.
I learned how to be calm and help solve problems fast when Customers were not happy with a fault with their order or delivery.
For the entire working day you are talking to customers there fore i didn't really socialise with many other co workers.
The hardest part would be to try and solve a problem with a customer who is aggressive over the phone.
The most enjoyable part would be helping a freindly customer.
Good whilst I was still in Education
Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crowborough, East Sussex6 November 2018
I worked part-time within John lewis, specifically the Crowborough Branch of Waitrose. I Enjoyed my time there and respected their values such as the priority for customer satisfaction in all we did
Pros
subsidised food in cantene
Fun workplace
Customer Collections Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich1 November 2018
Good colleagues, clear instruction, good break system. I was only there for a few months on a work experience placement but I would recommend it. Good management. Did receive instruction/training but very much on the job style but friendly and knowledgeable staff
Pros
nice colleagues good team environmment