JN Bentley Employee Reviews

If you're looking to design high quality products then don't come to JN Bentley
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire29 October 2018
The quality of what is produced by JN Bentley is terrible. Everything is a bodge and done on the cheap. Nothing that leaves the offices are checked properly for engineering content and therefore large reworks are constantly required resulting in large quantities of money being lost because of carelessness. More worryingly there seems to be no wanting to change from this from the management.

There is not a graduate scheme in place or any means of progression or support from the management to work up the company. The management does not work their team members to their strengths and regularly assign tasks to people without the appropriate skill set. The company has grown far too quickly wanting to gain as much money as possible but has not made the effort to improve its foundations at the same time. We work in the water industry yet can’t even have toilets that work properly in the offices.

If you can avoid it, do not work for them if you want to progress along the engineering career path.
Pros
I honestly cannot think of one unfortunately
Cons
All of the above in the review
Friendly Hard Working Environment
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire24 October 2018
Everyone is friendly and helpful within the workplace. People are tremendously busy but we always find ways to support everyone when the chips are down. This makes a challenging day more enjoyable.

It is a small family culture which has been built to be quite large to date employing around 1,500 employees. It seems to always exceed financial forecasts ensuring staff feel secure in their jobs.

The hardest part of the job is to be extremely multi-tasking physically and mentally.

Management - I would say people are not micro-managed and are given autonomy.
Pros
2 x 6 monthly bonus, promotions from within, pay ok and good benefits, supports graduates, Carr Hall Community funds events
Cons
Small company growing bigger, does not recruit experience into the business
Very good company to work for!
Support (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire20 August 2018
JN Bentley is a great company to work for. I have been with the company over a year now and have already advanced into a more senior role within that time.

If you are ambitious, honest and hard working there are opportunities to progress at JN Bentley.
Pros
Company Culture, Job Advancement
Cons
Growing rapidly
30 August 2018

Great
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Shifnal11 May 2018
A great place to work with a lot of ambition and friendly staff. I was made to feel very welcome during my short stint of work experience at the company.
30 August 2018

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Keep an eye out for our vacancies on our careers website -

Very poorly run business and lack off communication
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  All over10 May 2018
Poor company to work for. Says Shifnal, you will work one day in Shifnal, and the other days of the week half way around the country. Get picked up at 6am to get to site for half 7, and get dropped off at home at 6 the earliest. Not worth it for the money
Pros
Weekly pay

Thank you for your review.

We're sorry that you had to do a lot of travelling when you worked with us.

As a business, we aim to ensure that our employees don't have to travel over 1 hour to get to work. However, this isn't always the case due to the demands of our projects across the UK.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Very low payers, run by morons
Skilled Operative (Current Employee) –  Shifnal, Shropshire30 April 2018
Have got some good work but rates are terrible, workers are treated like children encouraged to pick fault with your co workers. 80% of the management are complete morons. If your desperate for work give it a try, otherwise you will get better rates virtually everywhere else.
Pros
Continuous work
Cons
Extremely bad rates

Thank you for your review.

We don't like to hear some of the issues you have encountered whilst working with us.

As a current employee, please could you contact someone in the HR/Recruitment team to have a confidential discussion about some of the problems you might be having.

We aim to ensure that are people are happy at work and would appreciate you getting in touch.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated

Good working environment
PROJECT MANAGER / SITE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire28 March 2018
Probably the first job in a long time where i havent gone home half dead.
Encourages safe practices and forward thinking.
A little heavy on the paperwork side, but you are given time to complete it.
Pros
Flexible on hours
Cons
A lot of paperwork, for paperworks sake.
31 August 2018

Thank you for your review, your feedback is much appreciated!

tough workplace but with benefits to suit
Labourer/Groundworker (Former Employee) –  all over5 January 2018
at a typical day you will cover allot of ground and carry/use many heavy tools/equipment, however you will learn many useful things within the groundworking trade.
Pros
money
Cons
lots of travel that isnt necesary
31 August 2018

Thank you for your positive review.

We are sorry that you had to travel a lot when you worked for us. As a business, we aim to ensure nobody needs to travel more than 1 hour to get to work. However, this is sometimes hard to avoid due to the demands of certain projects across the UK.

We're glad you learnt a lot and hope that everything is going well in your new role.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Fab Place to work
Anon (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire21 August 2017
I love working at JN Bentley. They are supportive. The directors & management get involved and have an open door policy which allows you to get your ideas heard. I find that there is a term banded about at Bentleys often saying someone is or isn't a 'Bentley's person', this is actually a real concept. The people who work here are positive, hardworking, proactive and most importantly kind, if you aren't all of theses things, you wont do well here but if you are it will suit you perfectly.
Pros
benefits package

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Not a bad firm but poor payers
Lead hand/bricklayer/ground worker (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham29 May 2017
Jn bentleys is a good firm but getting too big and pay not too good compared with the about of work out there now!you could have a job for life there and I have been there for 12 years but looking for a change and to make more money and work less hours closer to home.
Pros
Good health and safety
Cons
Long hours/not so good of pay

Thank you for your review.

As a business we have grown rapidly, particularly over the past 2 years, which has created some fantastic opportunities for our current employees.

Like you, we like to believe that we are a good firm and if you are still an employee of ours, I would encourage you to get in touch with someone in the HR/Recruitment team to discuss any problems or issues you may be having.

Good company, but not as good as it was.
Witheld (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom18 February 2016
Still a great company, but it has inevitably lost some of what made it special as it has grown and expanded.

Definitely a great place to join if you are young and inexperienced, but not somewhere I would recommend for more experienced professionals.
Pros
Security
Cons
Slightly insestuous. Progression is by family ties rather than ability.
31 August 2018

Thank you for a positive review.

As you say, we have expanded as a business, which has resulted in career progression for a large number of our employees.

If you are still an employee, I would encourage you to get in touch with the HR/Recruitment team to discuss any issues you may be having.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated!

look after the employees very well and develop them.
Joiner (Current Employee) –  Skipton, ENG2 November 2014
JN Bentley is a good company to work for they value there employees and provide top notch training and development so you are able to progress your career to the next level.
Pros
wet time
Cons
not enough hours

no comunicaion
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Shifnal, ENG8 July 2013
typical day at work was waiting for stuff to be delivered ready for fitting only to be told the designers have changed it

Thank you for your review.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us.

Your review was left a long time ago, but we would still like to find out more.

Please send an email to recruitment@jnbentley.co.uk so we can ensure that the problems you encountered, aren't still happening.

Excellent People
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Leeds City Centre27 February 2013
Working with friendly and helpful people, my day begins with a cup of tea or a visit to the canteen for a bacon sandwich!!
Check emails in the various databases and work email to see if any mail has been sent that requires my immediate attention or to be put on my "to do" list for the day/week. Stamp, scan and send incoming paper mail to email and send to relevant person to action. Hourly checking of database for any customer contact and pass on to relevant person to contact the customer and respond back to me so I may update the database and "close" it down within two hours of customer contacting us. Typing of minutes. Archiving. Filing. Order stationary as and when required. Arrange the sending out of mail. Complying with company strategies regarding health and safety and clear desk policy, encouraging others to do so also, and reporting incidents on company database.
Weekly tasks such as populating the plant spreadsheet from information on the company database, compare and update the spreadsheet and send to the batch managers for them to update future plant requirements and send onto the plant department for them to ensure all sites have required plant when requested to ensure smooth development/completion on site.
This is just a breif synopsis of what my day can involve, there is just too much to mention.
Pros
working with lovely people.
31 August 2018

Thank you for a positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

enjoyable place that went down hill
Project delivery manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire10 January 2013
worked 7.30 - 1700
learned to keep quiet when senior management were around

co-workers were excellent
Pros
good lads to work with
Cons
long hours, not respected by the company if you werent in the "in crowd"

Thank you for your review.

We're glad that when you were with us, you enjoyed the team that you worked alongside.

The fact that you felt as though you needed to stay quiet when senior management were around, doesn't sit well with us. As a business, we like to ensure that all our employees have a voice.

Although it has been some time since you left your last review, we would be interested to hear about your experiences to ensure our employees don't feel like the same way you did.

Please send an email to recruitment@jnbentley.co.uk and we'll get in touch. All correspondence will be treated as confidential.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JN Bentley. Our community is ready to answer.

JN Bentley Reviews by Location