JN Bentley Employee Reviews

Great place to work, lovely people, great culture!!
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire28 November 2018
JN Bentley is a great place to work. The people are really friendly, and management is very supportive.

The workload is manageable, where support is required, help is always available. The business is growing and therefore there are always new and exciting projects to get involved in. Management are very open to any new suggestions, plenty of opportunities to grow and progress in your career. JNB are passionate about supporting their staff and offer funding for those wanting to obtain professional qualifications for their development.

Culture is great! Friendly people, no micromanagement. Family friendly culture, flexible, understand you have other commitments outside of work.

A great place to work!
Communications & Media Advisor (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire27 November 2018
JN Bentley is a great place to work. The company has a really positive, friendly culture and really cares about its people. The work environment is relaxed and you're given the support you need to progress and deliver in your role.

There are development opportunities for all employees, whether you're on placement, an apprentice, a new graduate or someone that wants to develop professionally - the company will support you to do this.

Working in a smaller team means my role is varied and I have the opportunity to work with different people across the business, from operational and support teams to senior management and directors.
Pros
Friendly, relaxed work environment, great people, interesting and varied role, development opportunities, benefits.

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Great Company, Great Culture, Great Package!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire27 November 2018
Successful and profitable company
Skilled management
Friendly approachable people
Understanding and helpful colleagues
No visible hierarchy divides - really down to earth team from MD to cleaner!
Flexible working
A company that cares about its employees
Great package and benefits
Opportunity to up skill and progress in company
Development is encouraged
Mature working and fun environment

I know I'm working for a company that's really going places!
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
Far too much cake in the office!

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Great family feel company with really harding working people.
Support (Current Employee) –  Skipton27 November 2018
I have been at JNB for nearly 2 years now. In my time here I have felt like part of the family. As you can see a lot of us refer to the company as one big family as you really do get that feel. Yes of course you always have that one cousin you don't often talk to but as a whole everyone does look out for one another. The directors treat you with the same respect as what your uncles and aunties would.

We all get really good benefits and the option of tailing it around what is best for us. For example buy more holiday or add family members onto our health plans.

The best way of describing Bentleys is that you get out what you put in. So if you are hard working and not afraid to get stuck in then you will get out what you put in.
Pros
Flexibel benifits, free turkey at christmas, bonus twice a year & very good pension.
Cons
Only one works do a year at christmas.

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Superior Plane of Professionalism Wrapped Wholly in 'CARE'
Site Agent (Current Employee) –  North East27 November 2018
From my very first interview I was struck by the professionalism and ambition of JN Bentley.
I listened to the talk of it being a 'Family firm' on a larger scale and the usual projected growth forecast that would bring opportunity for advancement with a degree of cynicism.
What became swiftly apparent however was the immense integrity held as a company that certainly comes from the people that complete us.
I joined JN Bentley at a stage in which I wanted to plant roots and grow. Finding a company that matched my own ambition was important to me and I am pleased to still consider the move I made to be the correct decision.
Our working triangles were revolutionary to my own long-practised way of working and they've made me infinitely better at doing my job. Something so simple has awakened in me a greater understanding of how to approach things and the interdependence makes us, in my opinion, great at what we do.
From a selfish point of view, if I were ever to leave, I'd leave in the absolute knowledge that I'd be taking away skills and ability that I did not have before I arrived. That, for me is outstanding.
Our culture of CARE is outstanding and I've never worked anywhere else that makes me feel as cared about, something that sounds clichéd but is so important. The CARE mantra, whether it be health and wellbeing, safety, environment or money rings fervently true and it really is a simple message to communicate. This in turn makes my own role a lot easier. The simplification of such an important message is indicative of our company as a whole. It is a company I am proud
  more... to be a part of and certainly a working environment that I have and will again recommend to others.  less
Pros
Feeling like the job we do makes a difference

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Productive and enjoyable place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire27 November 2018
I have worked at J N Bentley for a long long time, and through the years have seen many changes, the majority of these have been beneficial to the company and its employees. J N Bentley has grown from a small family business into a very large company but still retains a family feel. I wouldn`t want to work anywhere else.

Another benefit about working here is that you get noticed and rewarded for your hard work.
Pros
Bonus, turkeys at xmas, buying extra holidays
Cons
No early finish on a friday !
3 December 2018

Thank you for your positive review, it's great to hear that you're enjoying working for us.

Don't worry... We all wish we could finish early on a Friday! :)

Thanks again.

Family feel company
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire27 November 2018
Excellent company to work for, all members of staff help each other out.
The workplace culture is a very nice family feel, all the way up to directors. Everyone is treated the same.
Pros
Family feel
Cons
No Cons

Sly sneaky and coy.
Skilled Operative (Former Employee) –  Wrexham22 November 2018
Overall work was ok. They don’t like to pay which shows as a lot of placement work which reflected on site as drawings where changed excessively. Very clicky, you have to be in there little groups or your and outsider. Half the near miss reports where never filled and the rumours and lies that went around the sites was unbelievable. Never in life would I recommend anyone to work there unless there looking to pass a bit of time before retirement.
Pros
Wet time
Cons
To long to list
7 December 2018

Thank you for your review.

We don't like to hear about some of the issues you experienced whilst working with us. Therefore, we are keen to get a better understanding of the specifics of what you encountered, particularly when you was on site.

Please contact the recruitment team by sending an email to recruitment@jnbentley.co.uk so that we can look into this further.

We aim to ensure that are people are happy at work and would appreciate you getting in touch.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

If you're looking to design high quality products then don't come to JN Bentley
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire29 October 2018
The quality of what is produced by JN Bentley is terrible. Everything is a bodge and done on the cheap. Nothing that leaves the offices are checked properly for engineering content and therefore large reworks are constantly required resulting in large quantities of money being lost because of carelessness. More worryingly there seems to be no wanting to change from this from the management.

There is not a graduate scheme in place or any means of progression or support from the management to work up the company. The management does not work their team members to their strengths and regularly assign tasks to people without the appropriate skill set. The company has grown far too quickly wanting to gain as much money as possible but has not made the effort to improve its foundations at the same time. We work in the water industry yet can’t even have toilets that work properly in the offices.

If you can avoid it, do not work for them if you want to progress along the engineering career path.
Pros
I honestly cannot think of one unfortunately
Cons
All of the above in the review

Thank you for your review.

We don't like to hear some of the issues you have encountered whilst working with us.

As a current employee, please could you contact someone in the HR/Recruitment team to have a confidential discussion about some of the problems you might be having.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated

Friendly Hard Working Environment
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire24 October 2018
Everyone is friendly and helpful within the workplace. People are tremendously busy but we always find ways to support everyone when the chips are down. This makes a challenging day more enjoyable.

It is a small family culture which has been built to be quite large to date employing around 1,500 employees. It seems to always exceed financial forecasts ensuring staff feel secure in their jobs.

The hardest part of the job is to be extremely multi-tasking physically and mentally.

Management - I would say people are not micro-managed and are given autonomy.
Pros
2 x 6 monthly bonus, promotions from within, pay ok and good benefits, supports graduates, Carr Hall Community funds events
Cons
Small company growing bigger, does not recruit experience into the business
3 December 2018

Thank you for a great review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Very good company to work for!
Support (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire20 August 2018
JN Bentley is a great company to work for. I have been with the company over a year now and have already advanced into a more senior role within that time.

If you are ambitious, honest and hard working there are opportunities to progress at JN Bentley.
Pros
Company Culture, Job Advancement
Cons
Growing rapidly
30 August 2018

Great
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Shifnal11 May 2018
A great place to work with a lot of ambition and friendly staff. I was made to feel very welcome during my short stint of work experience at the company.
30 August 2018

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Keep an eye out for our vacancies on our careers website -

Very poorly run business and lack off communication
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  All over10 May 2018
Poor company to work for. Says Shifnal, you will work one day in Shifnal, and the other days of the week half way around the country. Get picked up at 6am to get to site for half 7, and get dropped off at home at 6 the earliest. Not worth it for the money
Pros
Weekly pay

Thank you for your review.

We're sorry that you had to do a lot of travelling when you worked with us.

As a business, we aim to ensure that our employees don't have to travel over 1 hour to get to work. However, this isn't always the case due to the demands of our projects across the UK.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Very low payers, run by morons
Skilled Operative (Current Employee) –  Shifnal, Shropshire30 April 2018
Have got some good work but rates are terrible, workers are treated like children encouraged to pick fault with your co workers. 80% of the management are complete morons. If your desperate for work give it a try, otherwise you will get better rates virtually everywhere else.
Pros
Continuous work
Cons
Extremely bad rates

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated

Good working environment
PROJECT MANAGER / SITE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire28 March 2018
Probably the first job in a long time where i havent gone home half dead.
Encourages safe practices and forward thinking.
A little heavy on the paperwork side, but you are given time to complete it.
Pros
Flexible on hours
Cons
A lot of paperwork, for paperworks sake.
31 August 2018

Thank you for your review, your feedback is much appreciated!

tough workplace but with benefits to suit
Labourer/Groundworker (Former Employee) –  all over5 January 2018
at a typical day you will cover allot of ground and carry/use many heavy tools/equipment, however you will learn many useful things within the groundworking trade.
Pros
money
Cons
lots of travel that isnt necesary
31 August 2018

Thank you for your positive review.

We are sorry that you had to travel a lot when you worked for us. As a business, we aim to ensure nobody needs to travel more than 1 hour to get to work. However, this is sometimes hard to avoid due to the demands of certain projects across the UK.

We're glad you learnt a lot and hope that everything is going well in your new role.

Fab Place to work
Anon (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire21 August 2017
I love working at JN Bentley. They are supportive. The directors & management get involved and have an open door policy which allows you to get your ideas heard. I find that there is a term banded about at Bentleys often saying someone is or isn't a 'Bentley's person', this is actually a real concept. The people who work here are positive, hardworking, proactive and most importantly kind, if you aren't all of theses things, you wont do well here but if you are it will suit you perfectly.
Pros
benefits package

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Not a bad firm but poor payers
Lead hand/bricklayer/ground worker (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham29 May 2017
Jn bentleys is a good firm but getting too big and pay not too good compared with the about of work out there now!you could have a job for life there and I have been there for 12 years but looking for a change and to make more money and work less hours closer to home.
Pros
Good health and safety
Cons
Long hours/not so good of pay

Thank you for your review.

As a business we have grown rapidly, particularly over the past 2 years, which has created some fantastic opportunities for our current employees.

Like you, we like to believe that we are a good firm and if you are still an employee of ours, I would encourage you to get in touch with someone in the HR/Recruitment team to discuss any problems or issues you may be having.

Good company, but not as good as it was.
Witheld (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom18 February 2016
Still a great company, but it has inevitably lost some of what made it special as it has grown and expanded.

Definitely a great place to join if you are young and inexperienced, but not somewhere I would recommend for more experienced professionals.
Pros
Security
Cons
Slightly insestuous. Progression is by family ties rather than ability.
31 August 2018

Thank you for a positive review.

As you say, we have expanded as a business, which has resulted in career progression for a large number of our employees.

If you are still an employee, I would encourage you to get in touch with the HR/Recruitment team to discuss any issues you may be having.

Thanks again for your review, your feedback is much appreciated!

look after the employees very well and develop them.
Joiner (Current Employee) –  Skipton, ENG2 November 2014
JN Bentley is a good company to work for they value there employees and provide top notch training and development so you are able to progress your career to the next level.
Pros
wet time
Cons
not enough hours

Thank you for your positive review, your feedback is much appreciated!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JN Bentley. Our community is ready to answer.

JN Bentley Reviews by Location