Jewson

Jewson Employee Reviews

United Kingdom229 reviews
Good
Good company to work for good pay fast paced initiative needed and problem solving required
Great benefits and pension scheme

New lorries are great.
Management needs to treat staff better
Brilliant place to work and get along with yard staff and other drivers, but the management let it down when I worked there not sure if it’s changed

Hours were pretty much fixed so no overtime plus you have to work every other Saturday and get no extra money
Job security
Apart from the usual political stuff that youd expect from a big company, it's not the worst.

Cons, Some of thier policies are robotic, some of the managers are far too self important.

Pros, Job security, pension, infrastructure etc
Stressful and unrewarding
Company that is more interested in reporting than dealing with customers.Unrealistic targets in place for sales.
Company that is built on ‘ref tape’ , very slow and cumbersome to make decisions.

Very stressful workplace with poor work/life balance and task oriented to the detriment of own wellbeing.

Branch on an average day has not enough staff , vehicles and an over reliance on a restrictive computer system that prevents effective customer service.

Would not recommend this company to work for.
Had a great time working there until things changed
Started a Jewsons at Dudley and had an excellent time working with different people sadly they changed the way health and safety was done, so I was forced to move on
Unorganised and lazy
Ran poorly, feels like a lot of people are their are playing at jobs they are not good enough to do. A company losing out to better competition in local areas and it shows.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
unorganized, badly run
Great company & colleagues
Worldwide company, lots of career opportunities.
Good pay structure `and bonus scheme.

Lots of different skill sets required all customer facing.

Great colleagues.
Easy Work
No room to work up the ladder. The management was honestly quite poor. Regular and trade customers are lovely to help, normally know what they require. Yard staff were enjoyable to work with.
Avoid Avoid Avoid
I donated 4yrs of my time to this shower.
Racist managers. A culture of lies. And a totally useless transport manager in the midlands area.

Health and safety only applies when it suits them. One branch manager driving forklift without authority to do so, for example.

Sure, they have polices in place. Make sure you read them word for word. They are compiled by people who have very little experience of the role. But they will tell you different.

If no one else will employ you.....and you are desperate, then fill in their application form.

Don’t say you weren’t fore warned.

They will try and trap you with the “leave within 2 years, and you owe us the training fee” routine.....it’s a ploy!

Trucks are below average. Training once ALLMI qualified is none existent.

They don’t follow up on appraisals.

Lots on in house back stabbing. It’s a proper viper pit.

Please, don’t think I’m being bitter towards the company. This is for your benefit, and a true account of my experience within working for them.

SG
Profits rule
Not enough time in the day to complete all deliveries. Too much workload therefore corners arecut and safety suffers. All about targets and profits workers expendable
Not progressing no fair opportunities.
No praise for extra work. I took on forklift ING and yard work also done van driving. No extra for any of it. Not overall good.
Good morale
I enjoyed being a cluster driver covering the whole of the South West. I found the staff friendly and the management easy going. I liked the idea of whatever branch I went to they all used the same paperwork and pdas and I had my own username and password. All the lorrys and lorry mounted cranes were the same across the company so there was no pressure on how to use the fleet.I got treated as a company employee although on agency full uniform and under the control of sgbd transport not the agency.
Pros
Full uniform
Cons
Certain customers out to get at the company and make money out of the company.
it's stressful place to work
Planning all deliveries for drivers throughout South Wales & Gloucester & Somerset & Thames Valley. also organising MOT and servicing and drivers Holidays
Workplace Environment
The workplace culture is very strong - The local business unit works very closely together, to consistently achieve targets set by the above organisation.
Very good company
There are 2 bad things. 1 is that they're understaffed. 2 not the best wage.

I can honestly say I would go back here and the only reason I left was the wage.

I asked for more money before I excepted my new job. They turned me down as they don't give pay raises as it would cause problems with drivers.
Arm injury at work on company vechile at rutherglen branch 466
ARM WAS BADLY INJURED AND WAS OF for 8 weeks due to the faulty gearbox that was defected along with all the other defects that i have copies of Any way two weeks to go untill my six month probation is up and the manager who took my final 2 week line and told me that I was not upto the job after being of 8 weeks with a very badly injured arm due to their truck not being sorted when defected Drivers stay clear of RUTHERGLEN BRANCH
Lack of training and coaching
They don’t train or coach you. Expect you to hit the ground running after day 1. Then tell you how bad you are doing if you are not.
If you ask for training they just say you should know what you are doing.

Poor company to work for and I would not recommend working for a Jewson .

Some excellent staff working there.
Learned how to be part of a team.

Most enjoyable part was driving around in my sideloader.

Management was okay for the most-part but would wait for someone to get hurt befoer they changed anything potentially harmful i.e. not replacing the roof of a timber mill as it had holes in it which caused water to fall on the floor and make dangerous puddles in an already dangerous environment.
Physical
Not a bad job initially, only that some deliveries took longer than others. Often, one arrived back after 5pm when one was due to finish, and this, because of salary, meant not getting paid for it. The lorries are literally dropping to bits too, and are loaded to the maximum where removing items with the rear-mounted crane becomes difficult. Sometimes, one has to operate the crane while standing on the rear of the vehicle - dangerous but no other choice. The staff, however, are friendly enough and are helpful too.
Disgrace
The worst experience i have ever had in a job. Complete and utter disgrace. Was employed to do a job as kitchen and bathroom manager.. two days before i started they said we cant give you that title.. but same pay. So went in as designer.. they then still expected me to manage the showroom. My role became so vast it was embarrasing.. design kitchens, pick kitchens.. go deliver the kitchens. Management no idea. All customers gone. Wouldnt work there for a million.
Pay not great
Pay didn’t match the work load management not to bad at times h s very good all in all not a bad job just the money lorry’s well maintained long hours in the summer