Jewson Employee Reviews

Overall experience
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Southampton15 November 2018
During this temporary role, I felt intimidated by certain members of staff and my interest phased out. With an uncomfortable team I did not feel valued or treated wth courtesy.
Pros
Gained experience in transport
Cons
No job satisfaction
Interesting Place To Work
Cashiers Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Coventry12 November 2018
Enjoyable place to work although sightly lacking in advancement. Management structure unorganised. Day to day working can be very busy. Culture for the most part OK.
Pros
Interesting Day to Day
Cons
No room to advance
i would quote the six P,s
tool hire supervisor (Former Employee) –  kirkwall31 October 2018
very poor management, poor backup and training, it doesn't provide what it offers at the interview, politics and coverups of mismanaged and unmanaged situations leaving the workforce struggling from moment to moment.
Pros
pay
Cons
most everything else
Good Company
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cringleford22 October 2018
Worked has a bought ledger clerk keeping company accounts in order. Liasing with other companies to sort out any queries. Lots of telephone work and computer work.
A challenging but somewhat enjoyable job
WAREHOUSE & YARD SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands9 September 2018
Daily tasks include loading and unloading of vehicles.
Picking orders and palletising, ready for dispatch on company vehicles.
Ensuring loads are safe to transport, and general cleanliness of the company premises and warehouse.

Hardest part of the job is Managing to fit all tasks into the daily time frame as not all tasks can be accomplished.

Work place banter with the team is a must as it keeps people going and allows people to talk at leisure while working.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having a great bunch of guys who work under me and always do there best as we keep each other motivated, as we spend more time with each other than we do with our families at home, also my managers above are always open to new ideas and allow me to manage my own time and tasks that need completing.
Pros
Manager is very understanding
Cons
Unable to get holiday time off due to lack of staff
Excellent place to work
Roofing sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Blyth, Northumberland6 September 2018
Amazing place to work, so many pros of working at Jewson. Not a bad word to say. Having amazing relationships with customer, getting to know loads of different people and making friends for life.

Not only that, it is a perfect place to build portfolio. By far the best merchant
Pros
Take turns working saturdays
Stock Controller (Former Employee) –  Devizes22 August 2018
Worked with good experienced people who were dedicated to thier roles, company ok to work for,could do more to relise the quality of staff they have. Need to hold on to the good people thay have
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Good place to work if your not bothered about low pay
Driver HGV/HIAB (Current Employee) –  Devon19 August 2018
Hgv drivers in this sector are always poorly paid. Jewson are no exception.
If i work out my hourly rate its barley above minimum wage!
It appears they are now that desperate to attract new drivers that they can now offer new starters significantly more money than established staff are paid, but no pay rises for current staff.
Im actively looking elsewhere now.
Pros
Home every evening
Cons
Too many hours. Low pay.
fair workplace
Apprentice / Yard foreman (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire5 August 2018
overall not a bad place to work plenty of room for progression
the wages are fair and higher than minimum wage.
brakes are quite generous and work ours allow a social life.
Garbage Managent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham23 July 2018
Got left on my own to manage a branch with 1 year experience OUTSIDE at 17 years old. Doing 6am-6pm shifts with no lunch. No support. No good things about this company.
Not prepared to discuss on media.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 July 2018
Not prepared to discuss on media. Due to personal issues with higher management. Would discuss with other people if required but not via media for example.
Waste of time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire4 July 2018
Do not waste your time with this degrading, vile company. Everyone is out to ruin your day including the customers. was treated incredibly bad by management to the point where I physically assaulted by a member of staff and management stood and watched. Nothing was done so I left. After I left I was still owed 11 days pay. I have never seen the money even after months of phone calls, emails, And meetings. They honestly do not care for the staff. As long as you get a customer in and out of branch as quick as possible and rip them off as much as possible that's all that matters. Vile vile place!
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, extremely poor managment, no training given, bank holidays dont exist in jewson, poor quality of products sold
many happy years
Yard supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dorchester13 June 2018
I spent many years at Jewsons. and really enjoyed my time, I worked in 2 different branches, and found the staff all very helpful and kind. the only down side was wages were not as high as needed.
Three years and all I see is incompetence and lies.
Yardperson driver (Former Employee) –  South East11 June 2018
Anyone under middle management is just a number. Give a nod towards H+S but I've seen so much covered up. Vehicles sent out in unroadworthy condition.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Management don't have a clue and regularly lie to customers.
very poor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow13 April 2018
for a company of its size and profit turnover the work is very heavy and the salary was very poor a lot of things where overlooked by management training and care for staff often being the case

i m sure its different now
Pros
pretty secure
Cons
poor salary
Good work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Humberstone, Leicestershire29 March 2018
The job is ok.lorry driver.manager is a good person. Helped me a lot. Very happy with this company. The working programme is ok.fixed from 07 to 17.Monday to Friday
Pros
Good management
Cons
A good company to work for training etc was great
Tool Hire Manager (Former Employee) –  Salfords, Surrey24 March 2018
Would recomend jewson saint gobain they were a good company to work for, plenty of training provided one of the better builders merchants to work for your person rather than just a number like most.
good fun people make it
Glasgow Credit Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow23 March 2018
Excellent company to work for. Management and Staff are excellent and good development opportunities if that is what you are looking for. Enjoyable time whilst working there.
Pros
people
Cons
location
Its a Career!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland21 March 2018
I have worked for Jewson for 5 and a half years. I began as a customer service apprentice aged 19 and now have my own branch aged 24. To anyone who says there is no job advancement obviously hasnt known where to ask, you get job advancement when you show you are hungry to progress. I have pushed and gained qualifactions with this company, even a foundation management qualifaction which is recognised all over the country. I have a 5 year plan and want to work towards the next step on the ladder. I have always felt supported in ALL my roles and have never felt over worked. Its a business which has a high standard regarding Health and Safety - everyone deserves to go home safe to their loved ones. Reading alot of these reviews I'm not surprised a lot of the "former emplyees" no longer work for this company with their rotten attitudes! It is a top employer in 37 countries all over the world and top employer in the UK 2018. After all, it is a business which thrives by making a profit.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
nothing
Positive
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Kent19 March 2018
GREAT COMPANY WITH AN ABILITY TO MOVE YOUR CAREER FORWARD.
If your willing to work and develop your self the ability to move forward is here. rewards those that are willing to push the limits and their own.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jewson. Our community is ready to answer.