JCA Employee Reviews

Was good
Outdoor Activities Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire21 August 2019
Enjoyed working for this company. Very valued member of staff. Liked the day to day running of the work and would like to do the same sort of job again
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Some staff
Avoid at all costs
Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  Condover, Shropshire22 December 2018
This is quite possibly the worst employer in the industry. While only paid for 42 hours a week, you're made to work anywhere up to 70 hours. The training is substandard and during my time there many clients lives and wellbeing a have been put at risk, and a number of them actually injured, and that doesn't include staff injuries.
You're made to work up to 10 days in a row with very little benefit. There's hardly any time to see friends and loved ones. During my time at this company, I had to report the kitchen to the health authority three times, and this still didn't fix the issues.

Unless you want to become an alcoholic, there is nothing to do in your down time.

Management don't care for you in the slightest.

The risk this company puts you in is not worth it. Their arrogant disregard for safety and procedure puts the public and staff in danger, and they've very cleverly made sure that if anything were to happen to a member of the public, it would be the fault of an instructor and provide no protection for the staff.

To sum this company up in one short yet honest sentence; working for this company made me consider suicide almost 3 times a week and I am still suffering the effects it has had on both my mental and physical health.
Avoid at all costs
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire6 November 2018
i would strongly advise against working here. The management have no respect or care for their staff. You are working for over 12 hours a day for the littleat wage. You start as an apprentice yet they never give you anytime to do it. They do not follow health and saftey or follow it up once has been reported even though its life threating. The food is horrible that you are given and you have to eat it or dont eat as they do not provide services of making your own food even though you arw paying over £200 for rent and the services are not the best for what you pay as you are literally given a manky bed and broken wardrobes to put your stuff in it comes to earning £2.68 a hour once they have taken money. The managent are not proviessinal in anyway. I would avoid this at all costs and go work for a different company!
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Long hours, management is terrible, horrible food, lots to pay for nothing. Hardly got a chance to go home
Utter Shocker
Activity Instructor (Current Employee) –  Various4 July 2018
To any people considering JCA I'd strongly advise you to head to somewhere better. Don't take the apprenticeship. It's worthless. I had the "privilege of working across a few of their centres. The management is utterly horrific. Communication is poor resulting in morale being unbelievably low amongst staff. JCA aren't a company to stand by you either. I've seen two people (good instructors too) suspended due to a teacher making complaints I know to be false and unreasonable. They do not stand by their staff. One day you will be told one thing and then over the next week it will change. JCA are last minute with everything. They are a poor excuse for an adventure company, You work horrificly long hours aswell starting at 8 and not finishing till 9 sometimes with only half hour breaks. Honestly cannot put into words how much I implore you to look elsewhere . AVOID AVOID AVOID.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
The company is a joke. A shambles. Utterly laughable.
Only join if you’re completely up for it
outdoor activity instructor (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire13 May 2018
Long hours, underpaid, felt like playground gossip always going around the team. Accomidation price goes up along with your wage. Pay over £200 for a room monthly
Pros
Somewhat fun
Cons
Long hours, lack of communication, low pay, advancement has little to no pay rise
Work
Outdoor Activities Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth13 February 2018
The work was very good as you got to enjoy the work. You also got to help do the activities with the children.

I had to make sure that all the equipment were safe to use b3fore I could use them as I was working with other people.
jca
My job at Jca was an outdoor activity instructor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire15 September 2017
In this job I learned lots of different things.
I enjoyed working for this company at first I started of in Salisbury then I moved to hailing island in Portsmouth then I moved to condover in Shrewsbury I got to look at different cities.
Over worked and under paid
Watersports Instructor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury12 September 2017
Unless coming into company with a watersports qualification (like I luckily had) everybody begins on an apprenticeship. You do a year of NVQ work which is a total ball ache to get a COMPLETELY useless certificate out of it that I have never seen used anywhere in all my time working in the outdoors for companies like JCA, PGL, Acorn etc etc. I can't even get into how bad management is because it actually makes my blood boil. Worst place I ever worked. Would NEVER send my children there because NATIONAL rules of safety and regulations are ruined. As much as PGL has many cons and can also be infuriating (trust me I have done the tears and the tired all the time exhaustion) it is the best company to get qualifications from in terms of quad bikes, archery, motorbikes, watersports and more whilst earning a wage. JCA is not worth it. Two separate girls put two grown men's lives in danger due to absolute gross negligence, one was beyond lucky, the other was sent to hospital with sever back injuries. Awful company. Would never send my kids there. Would NEVER reccomend anyone to work there.
Pros
Working in the outdoors
Cons
Working in rain and snow, long hours, bad pay, bad managment, vulnerable to corporate attack all the time
exciting
Outdoor Activity Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire11 June 2017
good management, good job for opening doors but accommodation and food price is ridiculous. great facilities and good team to work with. long hours..
Pros
good team
Trabajo en equipo multicultural
Ayudante de Catering (JCA) (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Reino Unido22 February 2017
Aprendí a trabajar en equipo. Al realizar este trabajo, también aprendí a ser una persona con iniciativa propia y que con esfuerzo y perseverancia todo se consigue. Esta experiencia me ayudó a mejorar tanto mi inglés como a mi habilidad con la gente.
excellent experiance
adventure - Water sports/ activity instructor (Former Employee) –  Hayling Island, Hampshire11 January 2017
For personal growth within the water sports role, was ideal.
Working with kids, vulnerable adults, teachers, co workers external and internal. Has again, help futher an understanding of anthropology.
The team was great, those who had work within the industry before helped supported those new to the role. Everyone bonded and jelled quickly. Showing through the scores the teachers/ team leaders filled in. Happy employees equals excellent results.
Jca
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Tewkesbury21 October 2016
Fun company to work with. Team members were honest and open with anything that needed improvement, team would help each other to solve problems. Working long hours, was given accommodation, fed twice a day and paid monthly.
Pros
Breakfast and Dinner provided
Fun and rewarding
Outdoor activity Instructor - seasonal work (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth23 September 2016
Incredible company and you get to work with incredible people. So much fun and so rewarding, everything about this job is amazing.
brilliant work side and social life
Activity instructor (Former Employee) –  shrewsbury31 October 2014
jca is a brilliant place to work for i have worked with the company for two seasons now and will be going back for a third the work is hard but reward full the social side is so good as you live and work with your fellow employees who all become like family
Pros
rewarding job, meet nice people
Cons
long hours, exhausting
providing fun safe activities for children
Activity Instructor Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth29 September 2014
really good lifestyle and always have good sessions and everyone worked well as a team.
fun workplace
Activity instructor (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  hayling island23 August 2014
delivering outdoor activities to children, experience a different lifestyle the management wasn't the best but working with children and working co - workers made everything better and made the work place a fun place to be and want to be in.
Pros
always busy
Cons
to much paper work
JCA Life
Outdoor Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury5 September 2012
I started at 8:30am and finished at 8:30pm sometimes I finished at 10:00pm on wards.
I learned how to teach different outdoor adventure activities.
The management did the best they can.
I loved working with my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is the hours
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children.