Jamie Oliver Employee Reviews

Struggling Company
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh27 August 2018
The chain restaurant business model as a whole is struggling.

Overexpansion and consequent business struggles are entirely reflected in the Jamie Oliver Group.

From resorting to harmful discounts to bring in revenue to reducing the quality of food and drink whilst upping prices, Jamie Olivers is at best a normal busy restaurant environment to working and at worst a sinking ship to steer clear from.
Good workplace
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh4 August 2018
Had a trial at Jamie’s Italian Edinburgh busy restaurant staff friendly free meal no complaints got showed how all dish washing equipment worked good friendly place
Pros
Free meal
Not a fun place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Greenwich2 August 2018
Kitchen porter position.
Flexible work ours aiming solely the employers profit without any care for the people who carry all the burden of the kitchen labour. Insufficient amount of work hours seasoned with a minimum wage.
One porter doing the job supposed to be done by two, working on the two lines - the line dealing with the stuff coming from kitchen and the other coming from waiters. Apart from that i had to help in prep room and carry heavy stuff from basement store rooms.
The hardest part of it was at the end of the shift, when the porter should take care of tones of waste disposal and do this on his own.
In conclusion i would say it was the worst job i have ever had for
I would never recommend to anyone.
Pros
can not recall any
Cons
reed the review
Starting to care a little less about their staff but overall was a pretty good place to work
Office Manager/bar supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds4 July 2018
Free meals on shift and good quality produce but a lot of things about the quality and company have started to degrade over the last few years. Less effort put into training and lots of cost cutting, pretends its not profit orientated but definitely is.
Busy and demanding but a good ethos
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Norwich28 May 2018
There is a lot of debate over the reality of this restaurant chain's ethics, and rightly so. What you can't fault J.O. on is his commitment to only using sustainable, free-range and organic products on the menu. They do this to the detriment of their profit margins, which these days is an admirable thing amongst the knotted purse strings of the chain restaurants.

The downside of this is that the demands of the competitive restaurant market require a sacrifice, and this comes in the form of cutting the staffing budget, which impacts the service as a whole. Where once the customers were happy to pay full price for excellent service from waiting staff who were passionate, well trained and energetic, supported by an equally well trained and passionate brigade of chefs, they are now more inclined to the hangry table thumping while they quarrel the terms and conditions of confusing loyalty card deals and set menus with a frazzled server who has far too many tables and spends most of their time placating customers on their long wait for substandard dishes cooked by a struggling understaffed kitchen.

This said, the strength of the teams in the restaurants is impressive, which is credit no doubt to the staff and the on-site management, who regularly work incredibly long shifts and build great trust within the teams. Sadly, the root of the problem is an all too common story in larger chain restaurants with a management hierarchy, and there seems to be a dislocation between the restaurant floors and the higher decision making management. Misdirected loyalty card schemes which are
  more... undervalued by the customers are a waste or resources which could be reinvested in what the customers really care about; the quality of food and service. What was really special in Jamie's Italian was the lack of compromise, which should have been extended beyond the quality of the ingredients to the quality of the restaurant as a whole, instead of embracing the Neo-liberal market ethics which, while tempting for the investors, are falling out of fashion with the consumer market anyway. It is a shame that a restaurant which had the potential to lead the market in the right direction didn't stick to its guns in the end.  less
Pros
The ethics regarding quality of produce and the strength of the teams (including on site management)
Cons
What made Jamie's stand out from every other chain restaurant has been lost
not the best
Prep Chef (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff17 May 2018
I found learning at Jamies Italian horrible I was there to gain experience and get help from the other chef but all i got was chopping to do i never go to do anything i never got a challenged.
The worst company I have ever worked for
Bartender (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire17 May 2018
dreadful management - no management skills - disrespect staff
head office and HR are useless when reporting problems
don't give hours that are promised - full time contract and was given 15-20hrs per week
Pay minimum - and pay was always wrong, hours were inputted incorrectly.

DON'T WORK FOR THIS DREADFUL COMPANY!!!
Pros
%50 off food - which you need its so expensive (for microwave food)
Cons
EVERYTHING - the worst company I have ever worked for
fun workplace
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool14 April 2018
Working here is a pleasure, the staff are lovely and easy to get on with. The managers are lovely and understanding and they are a pleasure to work for.
Pros
free staff meals
Productive and Fun work places
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire26 March 2018
Overall i enjoyed my experience of working at Jaime's Italian. It was nice to build relationships with the other members of staff. Having the ability to have good interpersonal skills with the various customers that you would encounter on a daily shift, Working at Jaime's taught me how to be patience and remain calm and collective in difficult situations.

The management team was fair, we did have our ups and downs at times, which is normal in any work place. But the managers just wanted to make sure that I was doing my job to the best of my ability and also give the customers a good experience.

I felt like the hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers, as sometimes they could be quite rude and dismissive which was a challenge especially if you were trying to help.

The people I met and the friends I made, but also the skills for excellent customer service was the most enjoyable part job.
Pros
Free lunches, good experience, good working hours, good team and tips to help boost your take home pay, good training.
Cons
Difficult customers, long hours.
a good place to work
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station12 March 2018
a typical day at work consists of servicing clients, cleaning the tables.I did absolutely everything, I did not have an exact job each had something to do from day to day
hard work but it pays off
Service chef (Current Employee) –  Liverpool6 March 2018
Busy place with long hours. However there are many ways on how to progress in your career. There are lots of oportunities to learn something new and to meet very interesting people. If career in hospitality for a big company is your goal, this is the place for you.
Productive and fun work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London28 February 2018
A productive and fun work place that was very flexible in regards to my personal life and my work life. There is an opportunity to progress and move up quickly if that is your desire.
Pros
Flexibility
Amazing experience
Waiter/Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Bath22 February 2018
Was a great place to gain experience and with great core values.
I've learned a lot about people management and also about myself .
Great family atmosphere to work with.
nice people, I like working here
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire9 February 2018
I like working there and the staff are nice and we work at a team with decent managers that treat us well. I'm only leaving because the restaurant is closing down.
Pros
fun, chilled
Cons
split shifts, some lazy colleagues
Fast paced.
Waiter/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex1 February 2018
unfriendly staff and environment.
Management had little care for the staff and their jobs.

The fast paced service allowed for my skills to increase rapidly & dealing with the staff helped me see how to be more helpful to somebody who isn't feeling positive in the work environment.
such a shame
Junior Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Cambridge30 January 2018
it was my dream to work for Jamie Oliver back in the days...
Until I started working for the company Jamie's Italian..
good start very bad end.
no life low salary..
no offence Jamie is not your fault..
Hard work but there is progression if you lick enough *****
Chef (Former Employee) –  Reading and other places25 January 2018
Worked as a chef for a couple of years, found the tip system to be pretty unfair as front of house got to keep all or at least 99% of their cash tips and then everybody got a share of the card tips which worked out be only roughly £30 a month. If you were smarmy to the right people then you could progress though quickly, the Brazilian head chef of readings Jamies italian promoted one of his friends through the ranks when he made a lot of mistakes and didn't know all the stations. The best part though is the teams at each restaurant are large and diverse so there was lots of fun to be had. wont forget it!
Pros
Team
Cons
Progress based on who you know not what you know
Everything for the managers
Chef de partie & Jr. Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 January 2018
Loved to work there but if you are not a manager you won’t have much at the end of the month. Always money missing from the payslips super busy shifts and always wait for the manager to check the all kitchen before to leave!
Pros
Italian food
Cons
Money missing from payslip low benefits
Amazing company culture
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oxford21 January 2018
Its all Jamie - very friendly company culture, very casual but definitely professional. Everyone's expected to be the brands ambassador and we are all proud of the products we use. However like in most of hospitality jobs the hours are long and most of the people are very overworked.
Pros
free meals, 50% off food when visiting
Cons
long hours, low wages
good workplace
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Guildford3 January 2018
every day its the same like in every restaurant. i did learned there how to run sections on my own.hardest part was a long hours of work and the best was fun people to work with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jamie Oliver. Our community is ready to answer.