James Hall Employee Reviews

Horrible and disgusting place to work
Warehouse assembler (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire26 January 2019
Terrible place to and it starts from the owners downwards to the managers and supervisors who are really really lazy and they get paid well and expect other people to do their work.? It’s that bad they have to fraudulently pay people to make them work in the warehouse because the turnover of staff is so ridiculous. They can’t attract staff unless they are managers sons who are so lazy they just sit around on their phones all day.
Pros
No pros just rubbish
Cons
Don’t come here to find out you will be very disappointed.
Click click not made to feel wekcome
Cashire (Former Employee) –  Preston bluebell way5 January 2019
Poor management just cover there own backs no full training . Induction ?? They press the buttons so you get 100% then you make a mistake they can fire you . You watch what others do and you follow not knowing rules then they tell management on you cos they don't like you cos they know your completion could have done job with eyes closed. Horrible people to work for just plain boreing gossipers talking about each other....
Pros
Cons
Working there
Terrible management and owners
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire17 December 2018
What a bad place to work the managers are absolutely useless as are the supervisors! If you want to work hard and progress DO NOT come to James hall.
Pros
Cons
The owners!
Sandwich department
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Preston8 December 2018
Miss managed and under paid, expecting way too much in very little time. Wages are a joke it's minimum wage. They always complain about profits when they have got to be making thousands of pounds per week
Pros
Cons
Too many
Disgusting employers!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire14 November 2018
Worked here for many years. If your face doesn't fit then you get treated like dirt. Store management is bad; upper management are dispicable! No progression, no motivation, no thanks. Serious incidents are ignored unless you're one of their targets and they see opportunity to bully you. Not worth the years of mental turmoil!
Pros
Cons
The Halls and every manager below them.
Never!
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire23 October 2018
I would never work for spar ever absolutely unprofessional team not understanding and rude management will lost your mental health long time work very unfair system
Pros
Cons
Always
Absolute worse place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monkseaton North11 September 2018
Working in Monkseaton where management are lazy and shift any blame on any employee , they expect you to work anytime the ask by sending your hours through the app on your phone , very clicky place to work where the lazy ones are praised and the workers get constant grief .Area management are just as bad as can’t see the wood for the trees . Wouldn’t work there again was the worst job I ever took in my life
Cons
customers and work colleagues made the job enjoyable
RETAIL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire29 August 2018
No matter what time shift I would be working it was always the people I was with be it customers or colleagues that made the shift swing along. I was given a great opportunity with this company to gain my personal licence, I was also given a great insight into how the convenience network is set up and runs. The hardest part for me was learning a whole new culture after doing my previous job for so many years but it was nice to be given the opportunity to still use my previous skills. The day really splits into two the early shift would be setting up the shop with dealing with the deliveries (papers, bread, fresh and the two days a week the main) and the afternoon/late shift putting stock out cleaning and facing up for the next morning. Doing all this and more but still making sure it was smooth running for the customers and always putting them first no matter what else would need doing.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
sometimes a late shift followed by an early
No life outside of the spar
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire22 August 2018
Worked here for 8 months and not once was my Rota not changed. They change your shifts constantly through an app on your phone and expect you to work whenever as it states in your contract overtime is compulsory, this means if you are contracted 16 hours expect to work whatever they want you to. Area manager for warrington region is only nice if she wants you to do her a favour, staff turnover is awful, staff policies are not on your side and only help management to control you. Management are no help. Getting holidays off are a nightmare as they leave it last minute to decline it or already have a staff member wanting it off and that's normally the manager. Only good thing is the regular staff are on your side and hate management as much as everyone else. Do not work for this staff controlling company. Lunches you get 30 minutes in a very small staff room and can't go off property to your car as you might be rang back in during your break to help out. You are expected to watch tills all the time and do other stuff around the shop and supervisors or managers won't watch the till as they only stay around the office and get the normal staff to do everything.
Pros
Cons
Everyrhing about it
They use people
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huncoat, Lancashire6 August 2018
I had a job "created" for me at their huncoat site. I was there for 4 weeks (a very busy period for them.) Then I was told their contracts are getting smaller. I was the last in so I was the first to go.
Poor management, poor company and poor products. Hygiene within their huncoat factory is definitely not the best.
Pros
Cons
Long unflexible hours, poor hygiene and managment.
Poor company to work for
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire29 June 2018
Worked as agency driver for them
Load your own vehicles
Very heavy manual work, no training, awful management, bonus system in place to encourage productivity which is against industry guidelines
Long hours, very poor planning,
Poor sick pay even when you have hurt yourself doing the job
Not a good firm to work
Most of the good drivers I know won’t work for them
If you have to use it for the experience do so and move on quick
Pros
You learn how to look after yourself
Cons
Everything else
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire29 June 2018
I have worked here for over 5yrs, it is my longest employment to date. I started on a temporary contract but was so happy at work I was pleased to be offered a permanent contract.

There is a real feeling that you are valued and your ideas, suggestions and contributions are appreciated.

It is an excellent working environment at Preston, beautiful building, staff canteen and a walking track.
Pros
Security
Cons
Honestly don’t have any!
Clayton Park.
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Huncoat, Lancashire20 June 2018
I had worked at the Huncoat site at Clayton park for two years. My time there was the best! I loved the job I did. It’s very busy and there’s always something to do.
I was put through a huge amount of courses and encouraged to progress up to the position im currently in.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to progress.
Cons
Unplanned overtime because of production.
University Placement
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huncoat, Lancashire20 June 2018
Staff and management at the huncoat site are hands on and approachable. The working hours and pay are both good, and management always adhere to request for extra work where possible. Full in-house training is available and job enrichment opportunities are offered. Staff are well looked after. An overall great working environment.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huncoat, Lancashire20 June 2018
All the staff are lovely and helpful. Always work as a team to complete workload. Management offer support whenever needed. Training provided. Pay and hours are good for all.
Pros
As stated in review
Excessive workload
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire24 April 2018
Ridiculous amount of work for minimum wages. Bad management. Poor training. Treated very poorly with short break for lunch of 30 minutes. Lucky if you get that!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
Says 16 hrs but they want more
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnoldswick, Lancashire15 April 2018
They dont ask you if you want overtime they just put you down for it and say its in your contract.

The pay is bad for the work load the shop i worked in was always short staffed the staff turn over is unbeleivable.

The best option is to go for the day shift . The evening shift drags on and your worked like a donkey.
warehouse assembler
assembler (Former Employee) –  james hall3 February 2018
Bad job and badly managed, have no career prospects. Get worked till you drop then get chucked on scrap heap. On the plus side decent wage if you can hit the impossible targets.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
bad work life balance
No life outside spar
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  York area30 January 2018
Great staff, management in a lot of stores leaves a lot to be desired, no chance of advancement if you can't be available every minute of every day at least in the York area.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Expected to be fully flexible with little/ no notice
not much to fault
Production Operative/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  sandwich department8 January 2018
well managed, friendly staff, job security is always there, easy to learn and job comes with many benefits. including cheap healthcare and legal advice. canteen is bang on as well.