James Hall & Co Ltd

James Hall & Co Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom70 reviews
Having worked for them for 11 years I wouldn’t recommend. Everyone is out for themselves- no team spirit. No fair distribution of work between departments
23 June 2020
I am sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your 11 years working for the Company. As part of our leavers process we do offer employees the opportunity to complete a leavers questionnaire or exit interview. Please be assured that if you gave feedback through this process it will be investigated in order to help us make future improvements.
Jobs okay hard graft money there is if you want to earn it as targets hard to reach and the fact they have compulsory overtime and a lot of things are overlooked staff turnover is through the roof can’t handle the work load
Pros
Money overtime
Cons
No life
This was the worst place I’ve ever worked and I would strongly advise people against working here! They don’t care about you, treat and talk to you like dirt and think they can intimidate you! Really not good for your mental health too, the attitude on some of the top managers is disgusting too
23 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that your experience of working for our Company has not been a positive one. If you would like to contact our HR department (personnel@jameshall.co.uk) and discuss your feedback in more detail this would allow us the opportunity to explore any areas of employment where improvements can be made.
I have been working here as a temp since March 2020 and have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the team here. Both management and staff are extremely welcoming and respectful and it is a great team to be a part of. The shifts go really quick as you are always busy whether that is serving customers or stocking iup the shelves. The hours are good and the rotas are fair so that you are not stuck on same shifts every week.
Pros
Great management, friendly and helpful colleagues, good pay.
8 June 2020
Thank you for your comments and your contribution to food retailing during the Coronavirus Pandemic. I am pleased that you have experienced a positive start to your working time and hope you will continue to enjoy a long and successful career with our Company.
I started as a shop assistant last September. Despite me having never worked in a shop before all but one of the other assistants didn't help me and I felt as if I was commiting a crime by daring to ask them if I was stuck with lottery, scratch cards ect.
One assistant in particular laughed about me to a customer. Highly unprofessional.
3 June 2020
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to leave comments and please accept our apologies if our induction training programme has not been implemented effectively.

If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail with a member of our HR department, please contact personnel@jameshall.co.uk. This would allow us to investigate further and take appropriate remedial action to ensure such experiences are not repeated.
Worked through all lock down, no offer of furlow no thanks from management for the terrible abuse we've taken from the public, no extra for risking our lives, didn't get masks until 18th May, protective screens don't even cover the counter we had gloves only. No extra for bank Holidays, no fare holiday scheme. All in all horrible company to work for. This company don't give a dam about the staff
I have now left
3 June 2020
Thank you for your comments and honesty in relation to your employment with our Company.
With regard to you not being offered Furlough Leave, the Government Job Retention Scheme (Furlough Leave) is intended for those businesses who have been unable to trade as a result of Covid-19. SPAR retail stores have experienced growth in our grocery sales since the start of this pandemic, which is why Furlough Leave would not be appropriate / applicable for your role.

We appreciate what an essential service retail assistants globally have provided during this pandemic and at James Hall we have provided PPE in line with current government guidelines, an enhanced bonus scheme, enhanced store staff discount and a pay award, plus financial and well-being support through our Employee Assistance Programme.

I am sorry our Company has not been able to provide the employment opportunities you would have liked and wish you every success with your future employment.
I worked at spar, northwich for 2 months in this time I had no uniform, given a name badge only when being inspected, I had 3 days off work through my 3 month old baby being on oxygen, this was the reason I got sacked because I wasn't flexible enough and because I had to work around my children which my manger knew on the interview. I had no idea I was being sacked of the morning I went to work and I didn't have s chance to argue my case . This is disgusting attitude for single working mothers trying hard to do their best.
6 April 2020
Firstly and most importantly, I hope your baby has recovered and is in good health.
Secondly, I can confirm that all employees working for the Company have the opportunity to use family emergency leave in circumstances such as those which you have described.

If we have failed to adopt this policy correctly, please contact us at personnel@jameshall.co.uk to allow us the opportunity to investigate this matter further with you.
I have worked for this company for 4 months & unfortunately due to the traveling distance from home I would be still employed there ! A fabulous well managed company with friendly staff who care and drivers who always go out of their way to be polite and helpful. The company deserves all the success it has, due to the very well run management departments who control all aspects of the business. Every delivery I was greeted with a smile off the customers and knowing everything would be perfect without drama. I was employed as a class 2 multi delivery driver. The vehicles are very well maintained and of high quality A joy for any hgv driver. If you are fortunate to be offered a role in J HALL COMPANY I wouldn't hesitate to take them up on it ! The transport staff put many companies to shame with their professionalism and attitude to all the drivers who work with them. Well done ! it was a pleasure.
24 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, your positive feedback will be shared with the relevant department & managers.
15h shifts are a standard, some shops with steep pavements, or tight backing up bays, always very busy. Management was ok for such a busy workplace. I would consider only for first job to get experience and money but, won't stay long.
10 February 2020
Thank you for your comments. We do monitor working time so ensure we remain within legislative guidelines, however the location of some of our community stores can make this a challenging role.
I don't want to waste more my time for this company to write this review! It would be just negatives and nothing else. But the biggest one is very poor management
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours, poor management, low wages compare to expectations
10 February 2020
I am sorry that you have not had positive work experience at James Hall & Company, had you reported your comments during your employment we could have worked with you to resolve your concerns.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at James Hall & Co Ltd?
Employees from another country cannot speak their own language in the workplace. This is where I was introduced to linguistic discrimination, which is basically the act of discriminating someone simply because of their language, accent, or dialect.
Managers and directors have never reacted to problems at work. Profit is the most important thing for them.

I would like to write something more, but it will take 20 pages with A4 pages
2 February 2020
We are sorry to read that you have not had a positive experience working for the company, please be assured that we take equality, diversity & inclusion very seriously and will look into the comments you have made.
Although these were the only people to give me a chance upon passing my test there’s a lot this company is failing there employees .. the salary for what you do isn’t great ... there’s no extensive training ... all the good runs are sucked up instead of evenly spread between ... constantly swapping between vehicles ... much to be fixed ...
28 January 2020
Thank you for your comments, which will be considered. I am pleased that you felt you were given an opportunity to start your driving career with our Company and am sorry this was not what you had expected.
Don’t no where too start with the store I worked at. There was some good work colleagues and customers, however management where bullies and had there favourites, even hire there own family, and work them up to supervisor positions. If you weren’t one of the favourites you where treat like garbage. In addition you where threatened with a disciplinary after any sort of mistake! James hall does not care about what goes on, just as long as they make there profit
14 January 2020
I am sorry to read that you have not enjoyed a positive experience working for the Company and will look into the comments you have raised. Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously, specifically in relation to employment.
I've worked for James Hall & co ltd for 23 years. I've progressed through the business from a part time weekend sales assistant whilst studying to a manager of a new build store. It is a great place to work, very rewarding, plenty of opportunities. I'm currently completing a level 5 apprenticeship, the training provider is brilliant. Plenty of support is given from senior management and it makes you feel valued.
14 January 2020
Thank you for your comments and sharing your fantastic career development with others.
The company use to be good until moved factors.Offfice staff look down on everone else. They pick and choose who they want to stick to company rules for. Use to be a good family company but manges hide alot of things from big bosses high up and owners. Not with the times and very old fashioned on way they work.
Title says it all.
You're not allowed a life outside work, management is poorly structured with little-to-no communication between anyone. You're treated poorly, and then rumours will be spread about you after you take time off for stress related reasons. Don't even consider working here.
Hello,
Thanks for leaving a review; unfortunately it's very difficult for us to address the concerns you have stated without more detail. I can see that you worked as a 'Sale Assistant' but as we have more than 150+ company owned SPAR stores we are unable to investigate this further. As a Company we have a clear procedure for dealing with issues and it is unfortunate you did not raise concerns whilst you were in employment with us as I am sure we could have worked these out. If you would like to contact us at personnel@jameshall.co.uk we would be happy to discuss your feedback with you.
One of the worst places I have ever worked, favouritism is very common in the management team, if you're not best friends with them you will get less desirable shifts and be punished more for mistakes. On multiple occasions while I was there, co-workers would make small mistakes and be met with disciplinary action intended to punish them, rather than correct the action.
Hello,

Thanks for leaving a review; We are concerned by the feedback you have given. As a Company we have a clear procedure for dealing with issues and it is unfortunate you did not raise concerns whilst you were in employment with us as I am sure we could have worked these out. If you would like to contact us at personnel@jameshall.co.uk we would be happy to discuss your feedback with you.
Super company to work for - spent many happy years working for them. Keen to develop staff and service their customers to a very high standard. I would recommend working for them.
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review; it's good to know that you enjoyed your time working with us.

Best of luck in the future.
Warehouse and Transport office are poorly managed both departments can’t keep the staff and I don’t think the powers that be have a clue what’s going on on the bottom floor. Performance related pay for the drivers which is against industry guidelines means drivers work illegally through their breaks and the office turn a blind eye. Never know what time you’re going home. When you complain you get told they’re a other jobs... how they’re a multi million pound company ran like this I’ll never know.
Extremely stressful working environment. Never know what time you will finish. This place used to be a family run business for working family's now your just a number. No scope for progression. Managers/supervisor are useless fighting against each other. If your a yes man this is the place for you, if not they will drop you without hesitation. Dead end job.
Hello,

Thank you for leaving a review. I notice you were an assembler and unfortunately it is within the nature of that job role that finish times are dependant on performance and demand, this is always explained to candidates within the recruitment process.

I am unsure of what you mean by no scope for progression as the Company offer a wide range of apprenticeships and, Leadership Academy which is our own bespoke training scheme providing internal employees with the chance to progress within the business.

The Company does havea procedure for dealing with any issues and it's a shame you did not raise your concerns whilst you were an employee and we could have dealt with these. If you would like to contact us please do so at personnel@jameshall.co.uk.

Kind Regards,
To many managers,and the health and safety is non existent,u report a health and safety issue and nothing gets done,it’s not about quality it’s quantity,how much u can fit on a truck
14 October 2019
Hello, we are concerned by the comments you have left and note that you are a 'current employee' of the Company. If you would like to speak to someone regarding your concerns, then in the first instance you should speak to your Supervisor / Manager and if you are not happy with the response then please speak to the HR department and they will be happy to work through your concerns with you. Thank you.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Hall & Co Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5