James Hall & Co Ltd Employee Reviews

Quick-Paced and alternate days off.
RETAIL ASSISTANT, SPAR (Current Employee) –  Lancashire14 September 2019
Quick paced up until about 7pm after which it is relatively quiet unless it is a big delivery day which means you will not have the quietest of times however it keeps things moving along and makes the time goes quicker. You don't get two days off in a row which can be expected.
24 September 2019

Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. I see you are a current employee of G&E Murgatroyd and from your review it appears you are happy working within the retail side of the business. Our retail side is extremely fast paced I agree with you but as you say it helps the day pass quicker. We are aware our employees work very hard which is why we offer benefits like the loyalty bonus etc to try and reward this. I also note what you say regarding having two days off together, it is difficult in retail to do this (as you acknowledge) but if you book your holidays far enough in advance and speak to your Store Manager then on occasion this should be achievable. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I hope you continue to enjoy your time working with us.

Awful Place To Work
Production Administrator (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire11 September 2019
When you first start working there, they make it seem like it is a great place to work, with a family/tight knit environment.

Management are constantly blaming others for issues they have created, you are constantly put under pressure from the managers when all they do is sit and do nothing.
You can't report any managers in the production department as they are all friends and have been for years, and they owners don't care in fact the only communication you get from the owners is a handshake at Christmas, brill.

It is a horrible place to work, health and safety isn't followed and nothing ever gets done correctly. When you want to improve or change something you are told ''that's the way we have always done it''.

Many people have left recently, I worked there a year and knew I had to leave sooner rather than later or I would be stuck there.
24 September 2019

Hi, we are genuinely sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time with James Hall & Co. LTD.

We are concerned that you felt Management blamed others and that you were put under pressure; we do have a Company grievance policy for issues such as these and had this been followed whilst you were employed by the Company we may have been able to solve your issues.

We are also concerned that you feel the owners of the Company 'don't care'. The Company works extremely hard to try and maintain/balance a traditional family orientated workplace; such as offering a Christmas hamper/gift to all 3,500 employees & as you state above finding the time to shake hands and wish colleagues a Merry Christmas.

The Company takes the H&S of it's colleagues very seriously and spends thousands of pounds per year training staff both internally via TAP and extrernally via training providers.

We are aware you have now left the Company but if you would like to speak to anyone about your employment here please contact personnel at: personnel@jameshall.co.uk - Many Thanks

Good company to work with
Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire4 September 2019
Advancement is always available within the company. Including university degrees without the student loan! Work hard, like in any job and the benefits are high. Family run business and it feels that way. Head office, including directors, know the store employees by face and name which contributes to that family feel
6 September 2019

Thank you for the positive review. It's good to know that even though the business has grown so much over the last few years it still remains true to it's traditional background.

Workplace culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire3 September 2019
Head office get better perks than the shop floor staff, eg Christmas hamper. Shop floor get a bottle of prosecco. Yet we do longer hours !! Training is good and atmosphere in shops is really good. Some shops are very understaffed. Good loyalty payments for staff.
6 September 2019

Hi, thank you for leaving a review. You will find there are differences between the benefits packages across the divisions and these are currently being revised however, I notice you have mentioned the Christmas Hamper, this is given to all employees on a James Hall, GAP, GNSC and CPB contract and as you correctly state G&E employees receive a bottle of prosecco (or chocolates dependant on age). However you may not be aware but only G&E colleagues receive a loyalty bonus and when asked G&E colleagues would rather have the loyalty bonus than a Christmas Hamper.

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with the training we offer as a Company and that the atmosphere in the stores is good. If there are staffing concerns in any stores then please speak to the Area Manager and we can look further into this for you.
Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review.

Current employee but looking to change jobs
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire30 August 2019
Worst business ever. Management unprofessional. Changing shifts on a daily basis without notifying or asking. Making you work on days off without telling you, just putting it on the work app. Do not get the opportunity to take your breaks and they are docked from your wage. Very very short staffed, each member of staff is doing the work of two. Management do not listen, about the severity of inconsistencies within the job.
Pros
Cons
No breaks
2 September 2019

Hello,

We are very concerned with the comments you have made within this review.
I notice you have mentioned you are still a current employee so we would advise that you please follow Company procedure in terms of raising a grievance and then we can investigate these matters further. You may do this by contacting your Area Manager or directly to Personnel.

Unprofessional company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire9 August 2019
Not a great job. Very unprofessional area manager, they are stuck in a time wrap. Old out dated policies and procedures.The area manager very unprofessional .I think you need to be very careful how you treat people who work for you with your company as we are your customers as well.In the end i got the job but I am leaving very soon to much back biting and very old fashioned in the way they run the business not to mention the most unprofessional and rude boss of the area manager maybe you need to look at the top down and do some recruitment for your senior management. Avoid and poor pay for what you have to do.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional
14 August 2019

Hi, we are genuinely sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time with G&E SPAR. We have been working hard over the past 12 months to update technology used in stores and in particular have invested in Quinyx and an applicant tracking system this investment is ongoing.
In terms of our policies and procedures I am unsure as to which you are referring to as in terms of HR P&P these are updated every 12 months in line with employment law.
With regards to your comments on Management, I notice you have mentioned you are still a current employee so please follow Company procedure in terms of raising a grievance if you would like us to investigate these matters further.

Had no choice but to leave.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire28 July 2019
Worked at Preston head office as a delivery driver. Firstly your led to believe that the job is the best thing since sliced bread!!! Complete opposite, couldn't be further from the truth. From the way you are treated by management to the way you service your delivery's. The pay!!! Or lack of it, work hard get paid less, don't do your job properly eg customer service you'll be on a winner. It's a very trying environment. Very marmite love it or hate it.
Pros
Family inside, gets you looked after.
Cons
Very dysfunctional operation
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnoldswick, Lancashire2 July 2019
Purchase Ledger Clerk (Current Employee) –  Preston23 May 2019
Traditional Family Business
Administration (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire22 May 2019
The Company has grown significantly in the last 7 years so it is a fast past environment to work but it has retained the "family culture".

The work environment is really nice for employees to work in and the Company Dr on site is really helpful particularly the prescription service. There are other great benefits that reflect the family culture too such as the Christmas hamper, Children's Christmas Party, Pension, etc.

There are opportunities to develop within the Company and they offer apprenticeships, Management Trainee Programme, Leadership Academy etc.

Friendly place to work.
Pros
Early finsih on a Friday, benefits, great people
Terrible place to work
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Accrington17 May 2019
Not a great place to work.management was terrible.long hours and you were expected to do the job of 3 people,with no support!! Terrible pay for what was expected of you.
Pros
The lovely regular customers
Cons
Management and bad team
Ok but could be better
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire3 May 2019
Was a good place to work but the one I was at wages were shocking it was a fairly chilled out job but still poor wages definitely not competitive at all
HGV Driver (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire11 April 2019
Not great
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cumbria4 April 2019
I wouldn’t bother if I was you

Never appreciated even though you go above and beyond your actual duties

Expected to work stupid hours that aren’t even legal half of the time

Poor management

Staff ring in sick all the time

Refused parental leave
Pros
Cons
Rubbish wage, favouritism, poorly run
Fresh foods (Former Employee) –  Chilled3 April 2019
degrading
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Preston19 March 2019
staff doing same job paid different hourly rates ,those on lower rate have to train new starters who come in on more money which is an insult.
management poor, serious retraining needed for office based management
staff turn over high in fact higher than ever with some long term staff leaving through poor treatment but yet they don't look into why that's happening
Pros
not many to be fair but the company doctor is nice
Cons
insulting pay rates (if your face fits business)
Click click not made to feel wekcome
Cashire (Former Employee) –  Preston bluebell way5 January 2019
Poor management just cover there own backs no full training . Induction ?? They press the buttons so you get 100% then you make a mistake they can fire you . You watch what others do and you follow not knowing rules then they tell management on you cos they don't like you cos they know your completion could have done job with eyes closed. Horrible people to work for just plain boreing gossipers talking about each other....
Pros
Cons
Working there
Terrible management and owners
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire17 December 2018
What a bad place to work the managers are absolutely useless as are the supervisors! If you want to work hard and progress DO NOT come to James hall.
Pros
Cons
The owners!
Sandwich department
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Preston8 December 2018
Miss managed and under paid, expecting way too much in very little time. Wages are a joke it's minimum wage. They always complain about profits when they have got to be making thousands of pounds per week
Pros
Cons
Too many
Disgusting employers!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire14 November 2018
Worked here for many years. If your face doesn't fit then you get treated like dirt. Store management is bad; upper management are dispicable! No progression, no motivation, no thanks. Serious incidents are ignored unless you're one of their targets and they see opportunity to bully you. Not worth the years of mental turmoil!
Pros
Cons
The Halls and every manager below them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Hall & Co Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8