Jack Wills LTD

Jack Wills LTD Employee Reviews

United Kingdom140 reviews
A non-stressful working environment, extremely friendly team. Poor pay but excellent staff discount. Manager is usually very accommodating and supportive.
Discounts are good and a certain amount of uniform is free, but you can only shop in your store and wages are low and end up being paid basically in clothes. Colleagues are good but work day is slow and higher ups, such as head office and area managers are stuck up and act like they’re above the shop assistants, rarely talking to anyone but the store manager. Flexible hours and get to meet lots of new people who are a similar age. Work social life is encouraged too but sometimes can be cliquey
I worked at Jack Wills part-time and was lucky enough to meet a lovely group of people to work with. Everyone was welcoming and lovely, including managers. Everyone treated each other well. The job itself was rewarding if you are into Fashion, but the wage was a downfall.
Have been with JW for 7 year, a typical day would start by me planning the workload for the team, factoring in lunches, agent strength and areas of work to focus on. The culture was great within the team and everybody would work towards the same end goal and try and reach all service levels.

The hardest part of the job was informing the team of redundancies, the most enjoyable part was resolving high end customer escalations to an extremely high standard.
Extremely flexible shifts so ideal for s student and atmosphere in terms of colleagues is great however the shifts would be extremely boring with nothing to do unless it was extremely busy and really bad pay per hour.
Like any job in retail there are busy and quiet months. During the busy months it can get quite stressful and fast paced but this can be helped with the correct management and team around to help you. When it is quiet in store it is a lot more relaxed and everyone can do their daily tasks and have a joke around. Overall fun and young place to work.
In my time working for Jack Wills, I was a Christmas Temp. I was aware I was on a Zero hour contract but I was never made aware of basic earnings, nor did I sign any form of contract.
It was an intimidating place to work, with staff picking on other members of staff, which wasn’t really dealt with.

This was some years ago now so management styles may have changed.

It wasn’t all bad as I made good friends whilst working there and there were days that were much better than others. I didn’t really work there long enough to really feel part of the company.
Working at Jack Wills allows you to build core and fundamental skills that you will be able to apply to a range of situations inside and outside of work. These skills include time management, communication, organisation and confidence in social situations.
First of all... managers who don't care about good working people, most people that work there are polish, for some reason they just hate any other race of people, rude, favouritism... horrible agency, match recruitment, who of course doesn't know what kindness is, stressed, rude, impolite, they call you with an hour earlier if you can come to work...they hyier people but they don't get to work because it's not busy enough... and so on....worst place I've worked in...
Pros
Cons
You just never know when you're going to work...and they promise you they will give you work...
No complaints here apart from the fact that it’s hard to move up in the company. Great work/life balance and very lenient with holidays. If the pay was better I would’ve stayed.
The workplace is untidy when i first start working i was worrying about my health and safety. The hardest part of the job is you have hit target every single hour, if you don’t t hit the target management will be you back all the time may sent you home for that day.
It was a good little weekend job but not something that could not be done everyday as a full time job. I did learn a lot which has help though out my next job.
Lovely boss, amazing colleagues, engaging work - just felt underpaid for the job considering the price of Jack Wills clothes. Many times I was responsible for creating hundreds extra in daily profits, but there was no recognition of this reflected in my pay. The emphasis on data capture from upper management also impeded significantly on the rapport with customers, often leaving them feeling annoyed and undervalued.
very quiet and boring place to work wouldnt recommend to someone who needs to keep busy. good benefits. team were okay not very welcoming. very obvious favouritism
Lovely people to work with, could be a little quiet as there weren't as many people buying the clothes when it wasn't the festive or sales seasons but a good company to work for with great benefits and discount
Good Place to Work
Approachable Management

Variable tasks

Nice mixture of people, ages, nationalities

Sample sale :-)

Gym, Yoga, FIIT

Easy location to get to
i spent a year working at jack wills, started as a sales associate and within 5 months i was lucky enough to become a supervisor. i felt the wage for a sales associate was very low but as i got promoted it became higher. sadly i was made redundant as the store i worked in closed down due to sports direct taking over the company and there were lots of other complications. i felt they kept me in the dark a lot which i felt was very unfair especially as i was part of the management team. therefor left me feeling as though i no longer could trust the company, overall a great time with the company but not towards the end sadly.
Toxic environment, low pay, genuinely boring job. Staff turnover is SHOCKING, but who can be surprised when a company that claims it's high end is the same one that pays staff minimum wage? Wouldn't recommend this job, even to someone I dislike :) x
they don't let you know what the pay is until your first shift - it's terrible. I hought i was being mugged off with the amount of money i was being paid but my store pays more than others - only £5.99 an hour
Pros
nothing
Cons
wage
The store manager of the Canterbury store was a bully, he made inappropriate comments on a regular basis and was extremely lazy with admit, rotas and his general work ethic, the uniform benefits were a plus but the pay was minimum wage. I would not recommend working in this store.
-Loved it in the early days - culture, brand, people, fun, family, product.

-Gradual fall from grace with every passing year in all of the above.

-Too much change in leadership/direction.

-Above meant loss of focus and identity.

-Good people who left were consistently replaced by lower quality.

-General drop off in standards and expectations with each year.

-Growing divide between Head Office and stores.

-Company infrastructure not good enough.

-Comms very poor - company, directors, dept heads, area managers.

-Work/Life balance not good enough.

-Lack of appreciation of store based staff - especially below Manager.

-Not enough honesty in the company.

-No bonus structure.

-You'll meet some good people.

-Although not as good as it was, still retains a fun/humorous culture.

-Benefits are fair.

-Internal progression is encouraged.