J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

Found 7,239 reviews matching the search See all 7,366 reviews
Dire workplace
Online Shopper (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire17 March 2019
I was mostly an online picker for Sainsbury’s which meant having to get up at 3am for a shift which made me tired and unable to focus on some days but they still expect perfect scan rates? Managers look too busy on their phones whilst barking orders from their ivory towers, specially when it’s busy and we need as many people online picking as possible to help finish but no.. our managers sit on their backsides laughing, talking and even gossiping. Avoid this workplace please it’s not even worth it considering they’re greedy with overtime and never give out hours to process the picks.
Pros
Some good staff
Workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire16 March 2019
A great place to work. Home life balance can be adapted to help any situation that occurs. Working with customers and staff can be stressful but support is always on hand.
Good salary hard work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham16 March 2019
It was very busy and stressful but that is expected as a Christmas temp with such a high salary. The co-workers were nice and the managers were doing their best, wasn't the type of work suitable for me due to the high stress environment and high expectations along with my anxiety but that is not their fault.
Pros
Long Break, good salary
Cons
stressful, long hours
Transport Manager (Current Employee) –  Elstree, Hertfordshire16 March 2019
I worked for Sainsbury's for over 14 years and enjoyed my time while it lasted unfortunately the site closed down and moved to a different location which was to far for me and so I accepted redundancy.
Pros
very good prospects
Cons
woking nights
Don't expect to get paid.
Trading Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire14 March 2019
I worked for Sainsbury from November 2017 to June 2018 - in this period I worked in the cafe and I had genuinely no complaints about my time working there (Other that the occasionally 'problematic customer - but that is retail), my manager was fantastic, my colleagues were so friendly and I always got paid on time and in full. I left the store in June to go and work in Texas with the Special Needs Community for a few months.

When I returned and got rehired in November 2018 - that's when the you know what hit the fan. My rehire did not go through and despite starting on the 9th of November I did not get onto the system until the middle of February 2019 - even though HR at Manchester had 12 emails from myself, 27 from my line manager, 7 from my store manager, 2 from my regional manager - and it only got solved when the regional manager had a meeting with the head of HR at Manchester. Due to the fact that I was not on the system meant that I was not paid correctly or at all. My first 3 pay checks - I was not paid at all and I had to wait up to a week to get my pay. On the last two pay checks I have had a partial pay - I have over £1,000 missing from both pay checks and has been a battle each and every time. On one occasion when in January when I had to wait for a week to get my pay, I had to use a food bank purely to put food on the table for my 2 year old step son because Sainsbury's cannot do their basic contractual duty of paying me on time.

I have sent 4 emails lodging a formal grievance and 2 emails asking for compensation for the stress they have caused me - I have
  more... not had any response to any of the emails.

The in store management is flawless and cannot be more helpful but senior management and HR at Manchester is absolutely disgusting. They are rude and unhelpful - on the occasion where I had to use a food bank, one of the employees said "that's a shame, don't worry you'll have your pay by Thursday" - this was Monday. I love my job and the people I work with but the shier incompetency by senior employees has not only made my work-life awful but also my home-life with the amount of stress they've caused me. I would not recommend working for Sainsbury's to absolutely anyone.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Literally everything I've just said
Okay
customer service (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London14 March 2019
Friendly staff, easy to progress, can be boring at times and slow moving, but picks up durning busy times. The breaks are not very long, especially if you are working a longer shift.
Since the changes it’s not the best place to work night shift hard work not worth the money
Part Time Night Shift Assistant (Current Employee) –  nine elms14 March 2019
Im looking for a new job this job is not the greatest and now it’s even harder to progress as there are no more team leader roles so as a retail career move I would try else where
Pros
Listen to music
Cons
Non paid breaks only half the shift you get a night premium
Standard shelf filling process.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey14 March 2019
The day can feel like it drags a lot as it feels like there is not many others around to communicate with. Management is hard to locate around the store.
The work itself is pretty standard and not very challenging.
Pros
10 percent discount
Cons
poor communication from management
Overall bad
Night Shift Worker (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire13 March 2019
This job is like nothing I’ve ever experienced 4 years in sainsburys and it’s like a soap on tv no loyalty no confidentiality lots of bullying in one store you shag the line manager to get promoted do drugs in the loos and when they got caught are let off but if you 10 mins late for a shift you get a warning it’s if your face fits or you shout the loudest you get the hours can’t leave because I love to watch the drama unfold
Not a particularly good place to work.
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim13 March 2019
Managers are swamped, do not have the time to supervise their staff, leading to staff not doing their jobs and getting away with it. It used to be a good place to work but changes over the years to increase profitability has turned it into a meat grinder.
Pros
Staff discount of 10%, raised to 15% quite often as a reward
Cons
No work/home life balance, some "rules" only apply to some staff
fun
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire13 March 2019
Day to day normal standard Office work, working with fellow colleagues and partners, using IT equipment and specialist IT materials and printers to fulfil business needs
Bad hours and terrible managers.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Didcot13 March 2019
I was a baker at Sainsbury’s. Hours 2am/3am - 10am/11am shifts which on the face look like you get a day to do whatever you want after working - but in reality they completely ruin your sleep pattern and any social life.

It was always understaffed and you have constant pressure to get a stupid amount of work done by yourself in 8 hours. They expect you to make all bread production for a day in 6 hours and then clean the machine etc (which takes 2 hours) all by yourself quite often. Due to this everyday you are behind and playing catch up.

The management are completely useless. They have no idea of the job you are doing, they constantly mess up holiday and Rotas. Very ignorant people who only care about themselves looking good. Very argumentative too.

HR is awful, don’t expect to get paid correctly but you probably won’t realise because the payslip is so confusing to break down. Don’t expect to get enough/ right sized uniform.

For such a big company I was really shocked how badly it is run. How unorganised it is throughout. It makes you wonder how it stays open.

If you want a no life - work balance, ignorant management, stupid workload with no time, mispayment every month and getting treated like a number or a robot rather than a human - sainsburys is the place for you.
Pros
The people I worked with in bakery were a great bunch
Cons
Everything else. Truly awful place to work.
fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath12 March 2019
I love the job. managers and collegues were lovely and overall I enjoyed the job. Hardest part was being checkout trained but it only took 2 shifts to get the hang of it.
Pros
Nice hours
Cons
Loved the people I worked with
Counters Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Wickham, Greater London12 March 2019
Started part time, was later employed full time when a position became available. Had a great time working on the Deli counters with some really great ladies. Opening early, setting up the counters and displays and serving customers. Also had to monitor and unpack deliveries and monitor dates and quality of products.
Decent Job
Customer care consultant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh11 March 2019
The training for the job was over and done with pretty quickly before you are put into a real life environment. The job was a call centre role that required me to answer the phone and help customers with enquiries they had to do with the bank, credit card bills etc. Overall the job was a good experience of working in a intense environment but keeping a cool head throughout
Normal day
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Chester11 March 2019
Typical day is fun but busy
Learn new things every day with customers
Management is fair
A mix of people from different walks of life
N/A
Doing the job with the Team
Pros
Good Benefits
lack of support
Trading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey10 March 2019
since one of our night manager left due to bullying. a day manager took over it had gotton worst. very lazy managment. no support. making us work under pressure have to do 1 long alise on your own breaking down about 2-3 boards pallets and about 4 cages full to top to do from 9pm till 7am its impossible and to dress the shelve before store opens. if you finished your ailse you jump on another thing to do. if you didnt get it finished you would get grilled at and slagged off to the store manager. shelve has to be extreme tidy as the store manager has serious OCD problem. consantly asking for overtime and end up with displinary for it.
Pros
okay wages
Cons
vending machines broken for months
Fun experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen9 March 2019
Induction was a long day, If I remember correctly it was between 2 days
working alongside other staff members was like another family.
know who to ask for advice if required.
Pros
N;a
Cons
N;a
They were a pain to work for
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 March 2019
The management was horrendous. I was asked to work overtime on a number of occasions and when I said I could not they would threaten to terminate my contract!
Really enjoyed working here
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire7 March 2019
Staff and management were amazing with me. Have kids so on their sick days they covered shift without question.

Always overtime available and training to.
Pros
Enjoyable workplace.
Cons
Have to do an evening or weekend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J Sainsbury Plc.. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K