J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

Major retailer with plenty of opportunites and challenges
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge15 January 2018
Major retailer with plenty of opportunites and challenges, a great service culture and well established processes. Overburdened with regulation at times, managers are often box-ticker and limited in what they can manage.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
a typical day artwork would include serving customers we also had to put all the stock on to the shelves and make sure the store was clean and tidy. i had a really good and hard working management team. i learned a lot how to deal with difficult customers in the appropriate way. i learnt to improve my time keeping skills.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
it was a small store so you was on your feet all day
It's alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear15 January 2018
Easy work but promotions seem to be given out to friends of management rather than deserving people. We used to have a nice cafeteria but that was removed to save money, shame.
This was my first job.
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex15 January 2018
This was my first paid employment and was therefore an opportunity to learn more about the work environment .. I enjoyed the job and meeting new people.
Pros
Enjoyable workplace I learnt a lot.
Cons
Transport to and from work was sometimes a challenge.
Good place to work for a short period of time
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mansfield15 January 2018
I worked here for a month on a temporary Christmas contract. The job was straightforward and I generally felt supported by my colleagues. Good pay, especially getting paid extra to work between the hours of 12am and 6am. I was contracted twenty hours a weekend, 10pm until 8am, so I never struggled finding out when my shifts were. However, management could have been more supportive. I never received an employee number, despite inquiring about it several times, which would have been useful in pursuing training opportunities online.
Pros
Good pay and contracted hours.
Cons
Management could have been more helpful.
Great team members but poor management
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Sunderland Nort15 January 2018
Working as an online picker you shifts are 4am to 8am unless they’re running late you can be in till 10/11.

You run around the store getting people’s shopping with ridiculously slow handsets and heavy trolleys you have to run everywhere to meet your 130iph target or they’ll dismiss you.

Management is a joke. The rule is if you’re face fits or they like you you’ll have more change being kept on or doing the good picks .

You only get 8ph and night shift work the same time and get NIGHT SHIFT RATES and you don’t.

Lack of support or training you get taken on the shop floor and told to do it you’re self basically

Pros; most online staff are always laughing having a joke on most People chip in and help
Pros
The people
Cons
Poor management and targets
Fair company
Counter Assistant/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Armagh14 January 2018
worked there for 3 years over 2 sites the rules are the rules stick to them and do the job and there will be no problems. The uniforms aren't great but atleast you don't need to pay for them.
A good environment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire14 January 2018
A good working environment with friendly people and a good team including mangers. However it was hard to organised holiday and sometime breaks were missed.
Pros
Paid break
fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London14 January 2018
fun very fun atmosphere is fun workplace is fun amazingly fun never a bad day good pay good hours good atmoshere is amazing
work etjic is amazing yes i loe it
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hard
Just loved it
General assistant/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh14 January 2018
I loved my time with the company friendly customers and work mates. Was always something new and fun happening even if it was just an ordinary day colleges were always a laugh and helped out all the time if you weren't up to par that day. Management was always supportive and inspiring.
Pros
All of the above
Cons
none I noticed with my time there
good job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol14 January 2018
a good laid back place to work with a good team who all know there roles. If desired its quite easy to advance up the food chain and good benefits are provided.
inflexible and misleading
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Whitstable14 January 2018
My job was advertised as Sat,Sun,Mon evenings. There was also a clause that they could use 60% of the other days as shifts.
In reality, you worked Fri, Sat,Sun because of the 60% rule. Stupid; a person looking for a Fri, Sat, Sun job would not apply because it is not advertised as such and those looking for the days advertised will leave because they change the days. Shortsighted management were unable to accommodate flexibility and you were not allowed to get other work as it may clash with the 60 % flexible working. So you get three shifts but you have to give up 6 days to accommodate them.
Pros
Great collegues
Cons
short sighted intransient management.
Bizarre management structure
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripon13 January 2018
Sainsburys was my longest job mainly because of my friends I met there the banter we had was unreal ,

The management in place was wrong the store was deemed small so the managers would get carted off to another store so quick
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Working hours don't suit
the best place to work at
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire13 January 2018
I had such a thrill working thee as a christmas temp. I wish i was kept on, i would love to work there again. Theres so many wonderful supportive people there and they're always happy to help a newbie.
Pros
pay, people are friendly, busy
Cons
short breaks
Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury13 January 2018
I had a great team of colleagues and best manager who helped me alot in both work and personal life. Very good culture in and around the departments. I really enjoyed while working there.
Pros
paid breaks, flexible with contract hours, good rate of pay, colleague discount
Cons
nothing as far i know
Great team and lots of opportunities
Customer Assistant Counters (Current Employee) –  Hedge End, Hampshire12 January 2018
Sainsburys are a great company to work for with lots of benefits after the probationary period. You can become multi-skilled by becoming trained on different departments, as well as being given the opportunity to progress within the business with courses such as the 'You Can Be'. This allows any colleague to be put forward to take part in a year long course to become a team leader or manager. All colleagues are friendly and easy to get along with. All colleagues are very welcoming when you first begin the job, and will help you ease into your role and pick up skills quickly.
Pros
Overtime, progressions opportunities
Cons
Silly hours, lack of communication
Supermarket located in Lancaster
Regional Trainer and Centre of Excellence (Former Employee) –  Lancaster12 January 2018
A great place to develop and extend skills in the workplace whilst working within the confines of health, safety and food legislation. Potential to improve career potential.
Typical large business
Manager (Current Employee) –  Field Based12 January 2018
The quality of employee opportunities and engagement not driven by the business structure/agenda but directly from individual leadership teams and is therefore variable. Happy to be mediocre and there a lack of strategic alignment across different functions. limited investment in people and technology.

Good company if you get the right team and lots of different functions so there are opportunities to try different areas of retail.
Pros
big business offers various opportunities if willing to relocate
Cons
variable leadership capabilities across different functions, plans not always joins up.
Great Work Place
Baker (Former Employee) –  London11 January 2018
Great hours, great skills learnt. management was fantastic and was very supportive. the team were fantastic and very supportive as well. I have never baked in my life but after working here i have not been able to stop.
Pros
Everything about it
challenging yet rewarding workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells11 January 2018
a typical day at work would include stacking the shelves.
I learned good customer service skills
management was good as I always had a task to complete.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J Sainsbury Plc.. Our community is ready to answer.