J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

Found 6,720 reviews matching the search See all 6,831 reviews
Oppressive work environment
Team Leader/Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire28 October 2018
Working at sainsburys is frustrating if you go the extra mile and work hard. It's difficult to get any praise or appreciation for your effort. You frequently get excessive amounts of work thrown at you and are expected to deliver beyond the realms of reasonable expectations. Bullying is a real issue and I have worked alongside a large number off staff who have complained about managers using this as a 'management style'. If you want to work for a supermarket, go elsewhere where the demands are substantially reduced and you may even experience appreciation for dedication and hard work
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Poor management, poor disability awareness, minimal chance of progression
Challenging Role - Lack of Growth
Trading Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater London20 July 2018
Sainsburys can be very enjoyable if you are the type of person who enjoys working in a fast paced and pressured environment. The ability to develop people and encourage growth of potential is very rewarding as a middle manager, but sadly that is where it stops as there is no support or guidance to grow beyond those roles.

Long hours at peak times can impact your work life balance.

Little acknowledgement or reward for a job well done- you need to be self motivated.

During my time I learnt much in the way of people skills and people management, as well as lots of different technical skills.

The working culture is great, with many different stores having fantastic colleagues to work with from all different backgrounds. This is easily the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Flexible Working (to some degree), Developing People, Job Satisfaction.
Cons
Long Hours, Low Salary, Zero Career Growth (if face doesnt fit).
Poor management, repetitive and not worth the stress
Customer Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London3 August 2018
The job itself is your standard, repetitive replenishing. Which is completely fine, until you have management jump down your throat about why you've not done anything all day, when clearly the job has been done, which they carry on to complain why it isn't done properly. Although the company says they reward efforts, there is barely ever any praise and if there is it is to the wrong people. Furthermore, there is no feeling of teamwork, more of a survival of the fittest vibe when working. This is a review after working at many stores, not just the one. Very hard to stay happy on the job, especially when there is no chance of advancing in the role. Aside from that, the customers can be either very nice or completely vile human beings.
Pros
Meet different people
Cons
Long hours, survival of the fittest vibe, not worth any of the stress.
Productive, Great Employees, Bad Management
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clitheroe, Lancashire2 August 2018
Sainsburys is fantastic if you want to make a career in retail and make it to the top of the pyramid. I worked in checkouts and I was a worker that was capable of covering all aspects of the front of the store (customer service desk, checkouts, self scan, trolleys and supervising) and not once did I get recognised for being good at my job. The management also would be very snide. And would frequently be nice to your face, promising days off or promotion etc, only for the same staff to say no. The employees there were great to get on with, all fun and easy to get on with. If you want to do well and go up the chain here, it can be easy if you put the work and effort in. Just expect bad management. Salary can be poor, no enhancements for working bank holidays or working late etc.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Bad Management
Old school dinosaurs
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands29 October 2018
A cold company stuck in the past, paralysed by bureaucracy and totally risk averse. There is a complete lack of trust at all levels, with management unable or not allowed to make decisions. Given its poor set up it is unable to grow organically so buys up other businesses to milk them instead, e.g. Argos.
Pros
Reasonable benefits, but poorly advertised, with some benefits that would be automatically provided elsewhere having to be applied for, if you know about them
Cons
Weak and ineffective management, very poor and restrictive company culture
Ex GOL driver in North London
Ex GOL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  North London13 December 2018
Do not work for this company unless you are someone who is a back stabbing career climber, you will fit in well if you are, DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. you have no home life because of long hours no wonder at my branch there was a high divorce rate among the staff and stress factor, I would sooner be out of work then ever work for Sainsburys again. I won't even shop there now, the worse branch is a Enfield
Pros
Going home at the end of the shift if they let you
Cons
No home life, hours very long, treeted like dirt by career climbing management
Repetitive yet fun place of work.
CHECKOUT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire23 October 2018
A typical day would be to check in using our unique employee code. I would then report to one of the store managers and then be assigned to a till or a set of aisles. I would either replenish stock or more often be assigned to a checkout. I would then serve for 3 hours, have a half hour break and then serve for another 3 hours. The management were friendly and supportive and I enjoyed my time in the workplace. The culture was a teamworking one where everyone would be happy to help eachother meaning it was an easier environment to work in. The hardest part of the job was the busy christmas period on the checkout where I would be non-stop scanning items and cashing money for 2 hours straight, I coped with that brilliantly however. The most enjoyable part was engaging with many different customers.
Pros
Great break room.
Cons
Scanners faulty too often at checkouts.
Tiring but very accommodating workplace.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield25 June 2018
As someone who suffers with chronic illness', having an accommodating workplace that was able to adjust my duties for me was very important. The management at the store I worked in were able to do this a great deal, and I was able to work mostly confidently until my mental health declined.

Working for this company I learnt a number of new skills, including but not limited to;
Operating multiple till systems.
Correct storage of multiple food and none food stock items.
Working in a store bakery with large, convection ovens.
Pros
High salary, colleague discount that increases occasionally.
Cons
Long hours on your feet.
Day in JS
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset21 November 2018
Typical day included reviewing previous and cumulative results, analysing data and implementing/ coaching to drive improved performance.
Periodic reports, KPI analysis, coaching and developing , target setting and review.
holding challenging conversations when required.
Performance management.
Implementing policies and procedures, ensuring a safe and legal environment, creating a great place to work.
Most enjoyable part of the job, building trusting relationships, and recognising great service.
Hardest part of the job, long hours and several late nights.
Pros
bonus scheme, sick pay, enhanced holiday after long service
Cons
Long hours with early and late shifts.
Diverse and fast paced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford9 July 2018
Sainsbury's can and will teach you a lot during your career, There will be times when pressure will be high and days will be hard but you will come out a strong leader. work life balance for me was becoming an issue only because I have children that do not live with me therefore weekends are what I need back to see them.
other than that hours are not terrible just shifts will always change so you must be a person that can move with the company and be willing to change if needed.
Pros
holiday pay, sick pay, start up pension, salary pay
Cons
constant changing shifts, minimal weekends, over hour to travel
Gave me everything
Department Manager (Various) (Former Employee) –  Chingford, Greater London9 September 2018
I started with Sainsbury’s with no intention of making a career out of it, however, the company were very good at progressing me and nurturing my talent.

Sainsbury’s training was top class and ensured that I was able to succeed in my career.

The day job was tough and over the years it became a lot harder to be a manager as hours were cut and I was often used to replenish the store.

One major downside was the expectation to work additional unpaid hours. An example would be, if I was on an early shift (7-4), we would have management meetings at 4.30 and 5 which i would be expected to attend.

I left for a career change and would definitely consider going back for the eighth opportunity.
Watch your back
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, North Yorkshire19 June 2018
They will take you on a trial basis till September 12 contract then before they have to keep you as permanent staff they will Finnish you. So you will have no job security. They will find an excuse to get rid of you.the management are up their own. Avoid the company theye said this store could not take any staff on then after dismissing staff with this excuse started new gullible staff.they will do this with you they get rid of managers even to cut costs they do not appreciate the staff they have with Sainsburys you won't have job security. Avoid them especially whitby at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Long hours unfair rude arrogant managers
Too many managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, Leek8 September 2018
When I worked at sainsburys there were managers for every department aswell as supervisors, and some of these were good but rarely. They were generally wardens whom walked around the store keeping staff in line, no talking while you work, do your job in silence pretty much, I'm hard working and I always felt undervalued there despite my efforts I've never been so contstrained in my other jobs if you work hard saying a sentence to somebody didn't get you in trouble. Basically down to too much management, it doesn't necessarily go on the persons merit to the managerial position either it was more of a grant for being submissive and cordial to managers there.
Pros
good job
Cons
too much management/supervisors etc.
Good, Secure jobs with no work/life balance
Online Customer Trading Manager (Current Employee) –  South East16 December 2018
as the title says a good job, very competitive salary however there is no restbite, there is no work life balance. On a CTM Salary your expected to work 10 hours + Per week unpaid which realistically takes a managers wage belows the General staff's £9.20 Per hour.
Pros
Salary, Security
Cons
Long Hours.
Good Pay, Bad Job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Coldham, Cambridgeshire29 November 2018
On my first day, I could understand that this job is a really bad job!
You will not be working like in a cafe but in a restaurant and you can't have any tip because the company does not allow you to carry any money so any tip is going for them!
Managers aren't good, treat you lower then them, you are just a pleb there...
The company throws the food to the bin in the close and does not allow employees to take ANYTHING! "If you want anything you'll need to pay it full price, otherwise it will go to the bin".
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Non paid breaks, No benefits (only after half a year), bad management, too many rules.
Overall good for part time employees but some drawbacks
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire7 August 2018
Sainsburys has been fantastic because I've met some amazing friends. The culture and community is really great and everyone looks out for everyone!
I would say however management has always been lacking. Making promises they have never kept (cutting hours). They were not as flexible as they made out they would be for students.
The ability to progress is now null as they got rid of all team leaders and quite a large bulk of managers.
For part time workers I would say it is sufficient but not a job you would want forever for many different reasons but mostly physical constraints on your back and hands if you are putting out stock for example.
Pros
Pay and colleagues
Cons
Unable to progress. Physically difficult. Unsociable hours for anyone other than checkout staff.
Good Job
COUNTERS TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire19 November 2018
Back before the structural redesign Sainsburys was a good comfortable job. Management always trying to help you be the best you can be.
I learned a lot at Sainsburys, some personal growth but also felt I had room to grow within the company.

The majority of the workplace was a happy environment and in some cases made you want to go into work. Whereas others made you not want to go in.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the understanding from other colleagues and management and the friendships formed through the work.
Pros
Friendly staff
Such a change....
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lancashire11 May 2018
This company used to be such a great one to work for, but recently a lot of that opinion has changed. 2018 promised to be the year of change, and boy has it! Loosing such a great number of hard working, loyal, knowledgeable and capable staff just to do some trimming and cost cutting has seriously changed the values of this company.
Some fantastic colleagues and management but others leave a lot to be desired. Very accommodating of work/life balance and salary very good.
This used to be a really positive, happy company to work for but in recent months moral has gone down a steep hill. Such a shame as i am positive customers can feel the changes as much as staff.
Pros
Some fantastic colleagues
Cons
Decreasing levels of management capability
Wrong place to work
CTM (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire4 November 2018
Enslavement, culture of bullying and institutionally racist.

There were long hours involved that are unpaid, unappreciated and never compensated.

Your monthly salary is never paid fully.

Always excuse of just building a new HR.

Endemic culture of bullying.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Long hour that are unpaid
a brief summary
Convenience Store Lead (Former Employee) –  Derby15 August 2018
the pay is good as management now but the life you can have is little you may be asked to swap a shift last minute or have to attend the store at stupid hours if the alarm has gone off for no reason, the mentality in some stores is me me me and some people just think about themselves. this is an example not an overall opinion of the company. you are expected to do so much with little help and some colleagues do more talking than they do work on the shop floor and when brought to higher management attention they do nothing and just tell you to tell them to carry on working (which we obviously tell them)
Pros
good salary
Cons
no life outside of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J Sainsbury Plc.. Our community is ready to answer.

52K