J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

Ok
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Wandsworth20 May 2018
The job is okay, not the best nor the worst job. The colleagues are generally happy and easy to get along with and the managers do what they can to operate a profitable store.
Pros
Discount
To be a Hgv Driver
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent20 May 2018
Job it self is easy hovewer this is first comapny where safety is messured in minutes. How much time do you need to check your truck and trailer? I've been told how much you need sometimes it's 5 min sometimes 15min and longer. At Sainsbury you've got 20 from the moment you get paperwork to the moment you leave the depot. For checks it's plenty time but if you need to walk 2minutes to your unit then spend another 3- 4 min looking for trailer sometimes more because if it's not on the right place you need to drive around warehouse again and look for it and with the speed limit 10mph it's not so easy. So long story short when you finally found your trailer you be less than 10 min to connect do the check and drive to gate house with 10mph speed limit. Yes this is how transport manager at Dartford warehouse is measuring safety less than 10 mins
Productive yet toxic work atmosphere
Baker - Trainer (Current Employee) –  Royal Wootton Bassett20 May 2018
A typical day at work consists of meeting the needs of the business, including, but not limited to, production of products for sale, replenishment and rotation of products, cleanliness and hygiene, and delivering excellent customer service.

I learned how a company of this size and public attention operates in a challenging, competitive market, and the skills needed to ensure that the company could not only survive, but grow.

Management were largely genial, but ineffective and often unwilling to do what was required of them in order to maintain a happy, productive and enthusiastic workforce.

Due to this, the culture there is often intolerably unpleasant, with particularly toxic members of staff able to go unchecked, seemingly given "Carte Blanche" (and with approval of the managers) to spread distrust, malicious gossip and the like, while often the hard-working yet frustrated team members were seemingly punished for their frustrations and reservations at the competence of the management team.

The hardest part of the job is delivering the work required within the short amount of time given, and adhering to the schedules set out for the day.

The most enjoyable part of working there is the relatively competitive wages, the out-of-work benefits, but sadly little else.
Pros
Decent wages for the type of work, decent out-of-work benefits
Cons
Toxic work environment, ineffective management, very poor work-life balance.
productive workplace
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Golders Green19 May 2018
I have been doing this job for the last 18 years and each day is different. This is because it envolves customer needs and service e.g we have to make the shop fit for purpose, fill up the shelves,produce fresh bakery,clean as you go,ready for customers and make the shop safe and legal.
Pros
friendly environment and easy to build relations with colleagues
Cons
absent colleagues
fun and productive
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  East Putney Station19 May 2018
i really like working there till the management changed and after i got a medical note after i got the note she would nit pick on anything that was wrong and blame me even if i had nothing to do with the incident and was not working that day and if she was in a bad mood she would bring the mood of the store with her
Cons
lack of sympathy
Great place to work for
General Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen17 May 2018
I worked at sainsburys for such a short period but in the time I worked there I felt really welcomed and all members of staff were polite , helpful and encouraging. The management were all easy to approach. All round great place to work for.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Part of the job is boring
Not a great company now
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bishops Stortford17 May 2018
Loved my job as a Team leader until they made me redundant and called it management restructuring
Thought it was a job for life
Before January would have told customers a great place to work
Pros
Paid tea breaks
Cons
All changing in September
Not a good place to work, clueless mangers with big egos
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkcaldy, Fife17 May 2018
Left due to sneaky managers that would rather belittle then help you, Deputy manger created a diverse atmosphere So if one of her favourites gave you hassle there was no way she would listen
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Everything else
Productive, fast paced
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire17 May 2018
A typical day at work involves switching between roles such as, cashier, barista, waitress, cook and pot wash. I have learnt how to handle extremely busy periods and adapt to fast paced working environments. The most enjoyable part of the job is sharing positive energy and providing good customer service, as this ensures the customers have a positive experience and want to return- the regulars we have at my store make my day at work worthwhile.
Day at work
Warehouseman (Current Employee) –  Hoddesdon17 May 2018
Opening role cages and sending them up into a lift. Sweeping the floor. I have learnt how to work in a team more. Good management. The most enjoyable day at work is seeing all my work collages.
typical retail role
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool17 May 2018
you will be required to work in all areas of the store especially on checkouts and serving customers which I enjoyed the most.
Its a good company to work for however advancing in career is only possible if you have a degree....?
After working for this company for five years..
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 May 2018
I have worked for this company since i was 16, some of the more convenient aspects of working for this company include: being able to transfer stores, yearly bonus, i was allowed time off to study for my dis. However, the management is being re-structured at the moment. the previous way that it worked was fine, it all depends on who your manager is. Also, for the size of this company they are extremely tight on people taking time off for sickness. You're only allowed three sick days a year and any more than that you will get a discipline
It used to be a great place to work however quantity has over taken quality now
HR/Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Drumchapel16 May 2018
Sainsbury's work life balance is for the most hard to achieve, there is also no incentive now to progress up.
In the current climate it is understandable that there must be changes, however there has to be a balance of fresh talent and experience and this is sometimes compromised in the challenge of cost cutting
Lots of loyal staff now all being made redundant with a tremendous loss of experience.
Pros
Good holidays, and sick pay and pension scheme
Cons
Some of this is changing through a contract change in terms and conditions in the near future
To little shop floor workers
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Devon16 May 2018
I worked for Sainsbury's for a number of years but come the end I was not proud to admit so. Staffing levels became so small and changes in processes, that in my opinion were for the worse, meant that the shop became an embarrassment and sickness levels for the remaining staff rose because of stress due to the ridiculous work load.
Pros
Paid the bills
Cons
constantly an uphill battle trying to provide a good shopping experience for our customers
Great place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loch Horn16 May 2018
Great place to work.
Good team work.
Helpful to new colleagues.
Good environment.
Management.
Development.
can learn a lot new things.
I learnt to do pay roll.
Pick up deliveries.
Pros
less hours
Cons
Good pay
productive and fun workplace
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells15 May 2018
every one is motivated to contribute to the success of the team, ensuring team targets and objectives are achieved. a typical day can be challenges stiving to meet targets and deadlines.
A very mediocre place to work in
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leatherhead15 May 2018
I worked as a customer assistant in the checkouts department.
Unfortunately at my store our self checkouts are faulty (and no supervisor/manager is bothered to fix them) which results in the customers experience being limited.
In order to book days off for holiday we must fill out a "holiday form". We must give in our holiday form at least 3 weeks in advance. Many of my collages and myself followed this rule however we would only receive our holiday back 3-6 weeks later! The store's explanation was that the person authorised to allocate holiday was on holiday or off sick and was not able to get back us.
Pros
Good hourly wage
Cons
Poor organisation
Retail in all its glory
Petrol Station Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon15 May 2018
Retail is where everyone should start. It is where you learn how the human race can truly be.
I excel at my position, having been in it for so many years, but it is not my ambition. This is not the place where anyone can achieve their wildest dreams.
Everyone does this job for the same reason: to make a living. It gets us by day to day, and earns you enough to have a life.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Consistent ignorance
great place to work
Night stock replenishment (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe15 May 2018
Work is enjoyable as the shift leaders and management also work with us and help. the only down side is they are actually cutting night shift workers prem pay from 12-5am so basically you only get 5 hours extra shift, on top off this you are not allowed to leave the store once the shop is closed.
Cons
long shifts, not allowed outside
Wasn't happy
Night Shift Worker (Former Employee) –  Bromley Kent, Walters yard.15 May 2018
I was mistreated they controlled me, kept me to the same department which I didn't want. Has issues with contract hours, I wanted to change so can benefit me more and try wasn't interested.
Pros
Job for life if keep head down.
Cons
Mistreated and kept down.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J Sainsbury Plc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K