J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

If you want shunned then work for the standing order
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Standing order8 October 2017
As a new start expect some sort of easy in welcoming faces well how wrong was I, iv never worked in a kitchen so full of people who just act like your not there your just a pair of hands really 4 long shifts I done everyday I encountered rudeness and really felt uncomfortable around certain kitchen associates
It's a hard graft but that's good it passes the day the environment is quite intense I'm an experienced kitchen hand so that was fine it's just the way you get looked down apon and talked to like your a stupid child deffinately if the associate has worked every section they think there a God literally
The job in its self hard work, the staff however are by far the hardest work iv ever encountered this is the normal every day staff who strive to be team leaders think the responsibility has went to there head
Wouldn't recommend at all
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
The respect for indevidual is terrible
productive and challenging
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Merseyside5 October 2017
Working at JD Wetherspoon allows you to learn a great deal of skills which are transferable to any job, including, Customer service, cash handling, working as part of a team. The most enjoyable part of working for JD Wetherspoon is learning something new everyday and working as part of a team in a very busy pub which is challenging but fun.
Shift Leader The Saracens Head Inn (Former Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire5 October 2017
Brilliant management and a close team all together. Management are very willing to work with personal availability. The job is hard, but very rewarding. Being part of the hospitality trade there will be some late nights, but the team makes it all better. A beautiful place to work! Highly recommend.
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth3 October 2017
Working here is the highlight of my working experience, getting to know my regular customers and able to have a great laugh with colleagues, this is by far the best job i have had
Pros
20% discount in all wetherspoons off shift and 50% off on shift
Cons
dealing with unruly customers
Appalling
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Oldham3 October 2017
By far the worst place I have ever worked, every single manager I'e had has just been ridiculous and the pay is far too little for what we have to do.
Thrown in at the deep end
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Wales2 October 2017
Promised by management that full training would be given on working the bar at the interview .,, on my first day put behind the bar with one young lady , I had approx 2 mins training on the till where there are hundreds of different selections , I was a qualified pilot and I can assure you that it is harder to figure out the till than work out the clocks etc in a cockpit . I started at 8 am and by 8.05 I was qualified to work the till , know where all the different glasses was kept and for what drink etc how to make all the different coffees , I was also taught the table nos from 1 to 85 , how to run down the stairs every 30 mins to inspect men's and lady's toilet and if there was urine etc I was to clean it up . Shown how to ask customers after 10 mins is meal etc ok . Then clear tables and polished tables , then run behind bar . After 4 hours of non stop serving I was allowed a break thank the Lord . Then back to the toll only this time the very helpful young lady who had helped me a lot was on a break , only to be replaced by a not so helpful young lady who to be honest was not helpful at all and quite rude to me .I finished at 4 o clock and told the manager I would not be returning , to which the reply was I didn't expect it to be so busy. It was unfair to the young lady who had to work alongside me and also to myself . I would have stayed but not to be treated in this way
Pros
None comes to mind at the moment
Cons
Poor managment, poor planning, everyone seems to be a chief and not enough Indians
Good food,busy restaurant
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes2 October 2017
I was the breakfast chef so aswell as cooking I had to do prep for the days service and accept the food deliveries in.It could get mad busy at times but working in a team always made it ok.I got on fine the all the management and only left as a job nearer home came up.
Pros
Free lunch, free hot drinks, free parking.
Cons
Not Feeling as part of the team as I worked set day shifts.
Good company to work for.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Nailsea1 October 2017
Good company to work for. Always happy to help their staff when problems occur. Good advancement opportunities and benefits. Once progression to Shift Leader is reached there are extra benefits like free meals and paid breaks.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long hours and hard work
Work Hard,Pay Well
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2017
Brilliant 18 years of hard work, great results and excellent friendships. Definitely NOT a 9-5 job, it is a lifestyle. Fabulous if you have no ties or commitments but difficult to juggle full time with a family.
Pros
Good pay, training, career prospects
Cons
long hours and commitment
Not Great Work Place
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 September 2017
Good Colleagues, Management are terrible, Hours can be unsociable at times especially full-time hours, pay isn't great above minimum wage however, food is microwaved
Fun, friendly workplace
Floor Staff/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Spennymoor, Durham28 September 2017
I enjoyed working here as it was my first real job. The days were sometimes busy but had their quiet times to, the management didn't support me very much when I needed them to and this was one of the main reasons I left. It was ideal for me as it was only a 10 minutes walk.
Stadard pub job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland26 September 2017
If you don't mind working long unsociable hours and work hard you will progress but only so far.
Most management fantastic with best intentions.
Hard work does not go unnoticed
Tolerable as a part time job during education or other
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2017
I've worked there for quite a while and there's a lot to talk about, so I'll structure this based on the different rating criteria.

The work/life balance I found was rather poor. Even on days off it is very frequent to be called in due to a fellow member of staff to call in sick/not come in for any reason or other. The hours are frequently unsociable and not consistent. You will be expected to do closes one week or day and then open up in the morning the next. There is no such thing as a holiday. Bank holidays, Christmas, Summer breaks do not apply. I found I mostly socialised with other people working at Wetherspoons while working there.

Salary is very close to minimal wages with monthly and Christmas bonuses possible, but only if targets are met, the likelihood of which varies pub to pub. The three pubs I worked at had very low bonuses. There is a pension scheme in place, as well as shares distributed for long-term staff. That said they cannot be sold for staff which haven't worked there for a few years, which is a rare occurrence. I should mention a 50% food discount on shift and 25% off as a benefit. This is 100% for managers.

Job security is reasonable, based on my experience, only wildly unreliable staff were let go, even then, numerous warnings were given. Managerial positions are recruited from within, giving possibility of advancement. A determined individual can advance to a team leader position in as little as 3-4 months. Managers are promoted after a few years, with various levels and pay scales.

Management varies wildly. In general, you would be expected
  more... to work or occupy yourself for the entirety of your shift, whether it is serving customers when available or organising various fridges, stocking up displays, or cleaning at other times.

I should add at this point the customers are the sort you would expect in the cheapest pub chain. A thick skin and ability to deal with rude, drunk people is a necessity.
Pros
Monthly and Christmas bonuses if targets are met
Cons
Low pay, frequently rude customers, no free food, taxed tips
Days
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Shotton25 September 2017
Working at Wetherspoons can be a very challenging job, however the other members of staff are what make it work while. Working as a team to pull through and reach targets.
Pros
Staff are team players
Cons
Long days
Just ok
Associate (Current Employee) –  South coast25 September 2017
Long hours and not enough staff so basically you are run off your feet, customers can get very aggressive with you because of lack of staff. No work life balance because your shifts are all over the place. The salary and benefits are good they need to be to make up for the problems the job causes with your life. Too much concern about Head office callers who need to get their coats off and help when we are busy instead of sitting down and judging us, we all work for the same company.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance
Hard work, sometimes fun
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham25 September 2017
This job isn't like your usual bar work, this company expects the highest level of practice and standards from you where other pubs may not be so strict. You will learn extensive ways of cleaning by following set out guide lines which you must follow correctly when carrying out any task in the work place. There is a line for progression, however, you must stand out from the crowd and put a lot of extra work in to be up for the chance to promote.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Very fast paced
A Strong and Healthy Culture
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 September 2017
The IT Department preaches and practices continuous improvement. A lot of time is spent on communication and successful problem solving. A culture that focuses on improving people.
Productive and fun work place
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston22 September 2017
I cleaned the tables, I collected the glasses from tables and took them to the bar, I take the customers food orders to their designated table and then I take the plates that customers are done with to the kitchen to scrape them and clean them.
Pros
Discounts and benefits
Cons
Short Hours
competitive salary
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire21 September 2017
i loved this job, but the hours are no longer desirable to fit around a family life style. the salary is fair and competitive. best part of this job is the opportunities to meet new people every day and face different challenges daily.
Great place for students and to meet new people.
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian21 September 2017
Working with spoons gave me more confidence in myself as a person with the new people I was meeting, the job was not particularly hard, especially if you work as a team. However the managers at my pub were not always great(about 2 or 3 of them done their job correctly).
I left due to a manager treating staff awfully and never dealing with situations correctly and also messing about with my availability.
Pros
discounts, making good relationships
Cons
long hours, really early mornings, managers not doing their job correctly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8