J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Ok
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire3 June 2018
Certainly not a bad place to work, the jobs is usual for waitressing/bar work. However a few issues, for example the different shifts every week can make it hard to plan ahead, also got asked to leave early or stay late with very little notice (as in on the spot) . While it was not complusory (as it can’t be without reasonable notice) it was clear when you had made a manager or duty manager unhappy. Some pulled their weight more than others. Like any work place it depends on wether you get on with your colleagues or not. Unless you worked full time then there was Not opportunity for advancement, though those that did seemed to be advanced very quickly.
Pros
Decent pay for under 21’s, flexible hours for students
Cons
Short breaks, very hot, not given new uniforms
Productive, easy to learn type of workplace
Bar Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge3 June 2018
a typical day at work for someone on the bar would usually be collecting a till key from a manager, and being left to your own devices to lean what you can on the bar.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
low wage for work loads, no overtime paid.
Great
Full Time Position (Bartender) (Former Employee) –  Epsom3 June 2018
Its a great place to work the niight shifts are the best but sadly long into the early morning of the morning but other than that the weekends are amazing to work, always busy and theres always something to do. the staff are great to work beside and even management are a great laugh
stressful with no feeling of fullfillment
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire2 June 2018
they work the staff extremely hard and are never quite happy with their performance regardless of the effort put in, whilst the managers sit around doing nothing.
Flexibile workplace, long hours
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow31 May 2018
long shifts but flexibility to allow for better work-life balance where possible. ability to move up quickly if determined enough to put in the effort and with good management
I think sometimes a job is just a job
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Cannock, Staffordshire30 May 2018
Dependant on circumstances this could be a good role for some one looking for some part time work. However If you are ambitious then Its a place that can get you sucked in.
A job with little benefits
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Essex29 May 2018
I have enjoyed working as part of a team, however haven't felt like I can be challenged to my full potential. Often the management is under stress and we get little in the way of breaks. However, my contract has been flexible which has meant I can travel.
Great Colleagues but Usual Frustrations of Large Employer
shift leader (Current Employee) –  UK29 May 2018
OK company to work for. Not great long term. Colleagues are mostly supportive, but in current economic climate there is always the wanting 'something for nothing' on part of company. Often staffing is too low to keep pub functioning efficiently.
Worst company
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff25 May 2018
Worst company I ever worked with it’s seems they only care about making money out of my back and that’s it no good team Leader t management poor staff everything up side down
Pros
Notting really
Cons
Worse place I ever faced
the company changed alot over the years
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire22 May 2018
towards the end of my time with Wetherspoons I stopped enjoying woring for them. the company became very greedy and made bonuses impossible to achieve, this went everything they promised to new starters. hours got tight but they expected more and more off you.
Horrible place to work for
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire21 May 2018
I would never work for wetherspoons if you paid me double too many two faced back stabbing staff and also young kids working there don't get a job at any wetherspoons if you want to keep your dignity
Pros
Cons
Twofaced staff
fun place
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stalybridge21 May 2018
lots of friendly staff here at weatherspoons loads of fun with staff lots of events celebrated also cutomer service is really good always on the ball great food
Ideal workplace for students
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Southend, Essex20 May 2018
From working at this establishment, I have gained several skills as well as developing known skills.
Shifts pattern are flexible to suit workers needs as well as overtime.
Social benefits to working here.
Can be fun and Productive
Bar and Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Drummond17 May 2018
Cavernous, Soul Sucking you feel like a slave. JD Wetherspoon doesn't even follow their own policies. DON'T work for them. Their the EA of Bar Chains.
Pros
Free shares
Cons
Over worked Under paid
Crew can be like a family but management can be eh
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven16 May 2018
Love love love working for spoons but the managers don't even bother to get on with staff. Pay isn't worth putting up with them to be honest...

A good load of experience though.
productive and fun workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  Warminster10 May 2018
you will be expected to fullfill food and beverage to a high specification.
online training is expected to gain knowledge off all required job roles.
progression is possible but not always supported
Pros
discount on food and drink
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Llanelli9 May 2018
Weatherspoons was a Productive, busy, and fast paced place to work. I enjoyed keeping busy and working as a team to get the required outcome. I was able to work alone and work as a team.
Pros
Discounts
Good weekend job
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire8 May 2018
I worked here for a short while however many issues arose with management not pulling their own back when bar and kitchen staff were often getting slammed. I also found myself being bullied by other members of staff and this was not resolved forcing me to leave.
Horrible place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire6 May 2018
Awful.place to work, the management seem to think they're above doing actual work. The most productive staff get treated the worst, you never leave on time and there are very obvious favourites especially amongst management!
The shifts vary depending on whether or not your face fits, you are expected to give up any social time and rarely get support when you are on shift as managers going for a cigarette break is a priority!
You never get a proper break and get villified if you ask for one.
And some of the excuses the lazy staff have for throwing shifts are beyond a joke! It used to be a nice place to work but I would now tell anyone applying here, for you own sanity, DO NOT!
Cons
Easy to get to but long hours
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Ayrshire largs4 May 2018
I've work here before i enjoyed my time with people but hated the management so couldn't stay longer and very long hour with only 45 minutes for a brake
Pros
Very good job to make friends
Cons
Worse job ever management is a disgrace and staff think they know it all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.