J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Found 1,775 reviews matching the search See all 1,825 reviews
fun place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bicester16 August 2018
okay place to work. management all over the place.
learned how to cook a breakfasts.
best part of the job was having a laugh with the staff and getting along with everyone.
Pub Manager
PUB MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire16 August 2018
Poor work life balance if you are not careful but overall a good company to work for. Good training and the development is there if you want it. management do have a tendency to move the goalposts
Pros
Good training
Cons
Poor support from some line managers
Kitchen Work
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 August 2018
The daily kitchen tasks are fairly simple. You'll be based at a station but it's not uncommon to be working on multiple locations at the same time. Job security is extremely good as more staff is always needed and the perks of working there are fairly good. However, the hours are very long it's not uncommon to work 15 hour days for an entire week. Food and drink is not free but there is a discount
Pros
Good Job Security, Advancement Options, Good Perks
Cons
Long Hours, No Bank Holidays, Work Weekends
productive and fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
I really enjoy working here it gets very busy but the team makes it very fun to work. The hours you get are rota based therefore, you do different shifts every week
hard working place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Worksop7 August 2018
it was hard to communicate with other staff.
never used to finish on time
they let me be in kitchen on my own even though you wasn't supposed to because of the health and safety regulations in place.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Best and Worst time of my life
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 August 2018
I enjoyed working here and the friends that became family. I was lucky enough to work in two amazing pubs with amazing staff and some times, some decent customers.

Working in a pub is very demanding and can be a drain on your physical and mental health. I was lucky enough to have understanding pub managers but depression is common and high amongst staff due to job pressures,

All in all though, best time of my life and wouldn't change the experience for the world.
JD Pub Club
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Avon6 August 2018
It had its moments of enjoyability, but in doing two brief stints with them I thought the ways it was run would change, it did not. The workload was very much expected with holiday periods and weekend being predominantly busy with constant work which kept you occupied which I liked so you never got too bored. However the way it was run was at times chaotic and disorganised but somehow worked, the people who worked on the bar and in the management side were nice. This isn't applicable to your usual standard wetherspoons pubs as I sure the way it's conducted is considerably different to this one. If you are going to be applying for the 2am licensed wetherspoons be prepared to lose your daytime and your sleeping pattern.
fun
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chepstow4 August 2018
fun place to work with lot of friends and colleagues. the managers are great and the perks are really good. it doesn't feel like work because you have so much fun
The british frrms are to stuck up their own values
Kitchen Staff Member (Former Employee) –  royal victoria pavilion3 August 2018
I had a interview at that place and they are discriminating under equality and diversity because of my age, and i dont drive why should i need to drive what am i a millionaire. they rather give the job to a young pretty girl so they can attract perverts and alcoholics to up sell their products for profits.

Questions, like 'where do i see myself in two years!!!
Pros
Job
Cons
Slave Labour
Ok
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Leicester2 August 2018
Big companies are always good but no need to treat staff like monkeys or pay for that matter. Good for passing people, getting experience or for university students. Bonus ok.
Pros
50% food
Cons
Long working hours
An ok place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire1 August 2018
Tough place to work, progression was always dangled but never arrived.

Very frustrating to deal with.

Though for some there was very quick progression, i wish the rules had been made clearer.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire1 August 2018
Working behind the bar serving many different people throughout a shift. Help from others made everything easy to learn and was great fun. I love customer service so the serving part of the job was best.
Worst job ever
Kitchen Assistant/Cook (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire1 August 2018
Long ridiculous hours with no work life balance at all. Rota given about 2 days in advance so say good bye to a social life. Shifts can be 6am til 3pm or 3pm til 2am so no sleep pattern whatsoever. Stay away from any Wetherspoons as it is the worst job out there. You'll be stressed out, exhausted and miserable all the time because of it. I wouldn't work in one for double the pay. Only possible pro is the discount but the food is disgusting anyway. Some people were really nice but that was completely overshadowed by certain other individuals who showed no respect and acted like they were superior to everyone else.
Pros
Cons
Awful hours, no staff parking, poor treatment of staff.
Terrible place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport26 July 2018
Overall the hours and pay was good (was getting the £8.15 advertised) but the staff and management were horrible. Managers were always favouriting other staff. Was told I needed to improve in my first probation review so I did. Was told by one manager I was improving so well and then the week after a different manager told me I failed and that I was late 7 times. Wasn’t late once. They always find a reason to try and get rid of people by the looks of things.
Pros
50% food
Cons
Management, staff, hygiene
Productive and fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London26 July 2018
I enjoyed working with this company. Everyday was hard work, some days easier than others. I learnt a lot from working here and improved on skills i already held. I enjoyed working together as a team with the other staff. I enjoyed gaining experience in the kitchen and learning new things about the business.
Pros
JDW discount
Cons
Opportunities available regularly, great step into hospitality.
Training Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Coventry26 July 2018
A typical day working for J D Wetherpoon involves a lot of different activities which enables the day to be broken up and seems to make the day go quicker. Management are always on hand to aid your progression and ensure that you're comfortable with your position at work. Being able to learn both the front of house work and then back of house areas such as the kitchen, cellar and office administration enables you to be kept on your toes and constantly learn something different every day. One of the hardest aspects of the job is unfortunately there are some circumstances where customers are rude or aggressive however there are always other members of staff on hand to ensure you are safe and secure. The most enjoyable part of this job is integrating with different members of society and getting to know people on a one to one basis.
Pros
Staff discount, Career progression, Approachable management
It's just as you imagine
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 July 2018
A typical day depends if on early or lates. I learned that customers can be challenging but no matter what management have your back. Workplace culture depends on your management really, a strong team will keep their staff happy. The hardest part is definitely the hours at times - can be quite draining but the most enjoyable is the staff nights out and the general camaraderie.
Pros
Scran
Cons
Management sometimes
Busy on weekends
BAR ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hamilton25 July 2018
Serving customers swiftly
monitoring and preventing supplies from running low: glasses, fruits, and other things
Maintaining cleanliness
Serving food
Bar closedown tasks
Bar opening tasks
Pros
Easy to manage days off
Cons
Can be very stressful when busy
it sucks!
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 July 2018
saying "can do", should be replaced "don't care". I learned a lot and co-workers taught me how to cook, but the more you work and start doing everything, less they will care for you and they end up playing their phones!

this company has no promises, only if I was lucky I could get a break even in 12h shifts, bonus potentials are non exsistent, only managers get the credit and bonus and you are there to sniff their arsse and listen to them.

close downs are horrible. its hard to work with people who want to finish early and go to home asap and managers are so picky about everything that they will take lenses to look how dirty the stuff is.

work/life balance? forget about it. on days where i'm not suppose to work, I always getting calls and be asked to work as somebody is sick or can't work that day.
Pros
nice discounts and staff
Cons
no breaks, bonus are bs, hard to work with ppl who are lazy
Absolutely dreadful place to work.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Beverley22 July 2018
Too many people higher up who think they are better than you....when most of them are pretty dumb. They really need to be taught some basic people skills and manners. Miserable place to work for, managers who didn't turn up to let you in on time, stood outside waiting in the rain and cold weather. Rubbish company...never again !!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything is bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.