J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Not bad.
Waitress/Barmaid (Former Employee) –  Norwich27 October 2017
Not a bad place, good pay and opportunities if you want them. One of the benefits is 50% discounted food whilst on shift and 20% off shift. With it being such a large company there is always a chance to transfer.
not flexible long hours
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire25 October 2017
the company are not the best to work for if you are a student as they are not flexible with your availability. the hours are long and some shifts dont end until half 1 in the morning
Pros
discounts in all wetherspoons pubs
Cons
not flexable
Busy pub
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Central birmingham24 October 2017
I enjoyed my job but found i had to work long hours to get a decent amount of money and had to work until 12 am
The management team were heĺpful in the beginning but there was a high turnover of staff
fun to work for at times
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Crockerton, UK24 October 2017
i worked in a very busy city center pub, there was always a buzz in the pub with everyone the people that i worked with were friendly.
management was very good to me , but only beacuse i worked my hardest. you give what you get really. if you worked the extra hour here and there you would be more likely to get that last minute day off you needed.
Pros
50% of lunch on shift
Cons
late closes and long hours
Good Hours, Friendly staff
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire20 October 2017
Overall, a positive experience working at wetherspoons. I learned a lot, especially when on busy shifts as it was a non stop situation working in the kitchen and could get stressful at times, which I learned to cope with well.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
More hours given than contracted
dont bother
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 October 2017
It's stressful and youre lucky to have a manager downstairs helping with complaints, as there is always complaints. Large amounts of staff mean lots of gossip
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
JD weatherspoons
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pontefract, West Yorkshire18 October 2017
Is a good place to work. Just not enough hours per week. Good team good to work with. Great customers also has a good progression. learned a lot including Kitchen and Cellar and FOH.
Pros
Discount on food and drink
Cons
Lack of hours
7 years.
BAR TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 October 2017
Overall a good company to work for, obviously being such a big company there are good and bad within but I've enjoyed working and progressing within the company.
Pros
50% off food while on shift, 20% off food and drink when not.
Long hours, Low pay
Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa18 October 2017
The staff at wetherspoons always seemed to want more for less. Very long shifts, asking to stay late, shortened breaks, not the best pay either, and even when working hard you rarely got the opportunity for promotions
good overall work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk18 October 2017
I loved working at wetherspoons I started off at the queen of iceni and then moved to the The Bell hotel as I got more hours there I loved working with all the people and I made a lot of friends with customers , also the staff discopunt was really good so you could easily get food cheap also drinks where the same to .
good trainining poor job
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire18 October 2017
working in pubs is fine when your young, definitely not what you want to be doing as you get older. The company offered good training however and put mew through my sia and personal licence qualifications.
Pros
beer on tap
Cons
ridiculously long hours
Kitchen
Cook (Former Employee) –  The three magnets18 October 2017
Terrible, selfish management that pick favourites and will go out of their way to make life harder for the staff... awful hours and unrealistic expectations, huge turn over of staff as people are always leaving and not worth the poor pay...
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Management/3am finishes
fun place to work
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnley16 October 2017
Everybody gets along at Wetherspoon's and there is never a dull moment. there are challenging days such as match days where the pub gets extremely busy but it is extremely satisfying at the end of the shift after realising what you have acheived.
Pros
discounted food and drinks
Cons
working until early hours in the morning
Fun active work place
Bar person/waitress (Former Employee) –  Bodmin14 October 2017
Quick Active pace and always something to be done. Different shifts to accommodate daily life. Secret shoppers regularly came to make sure the staff, food and cleanliness was to satasfaction.
Rude and abrupt
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire13 October 2017
Not a nice place - customers complain about the management all the time and other staff members were rude and abruptive with only care for number 1

management only take care of their favourites and they make it obvious who they are

the best part of the day is going home and the worst is dealing with the colleagues

a typical day at working for this place could vary on what event was running
fun place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Thetford13 October 2017
its a fun place to work in but sometimes managers and staff members can lack on communication and respect, but other than that you do your work in a safe fun environment
Pros
discount on food
not brilliant
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Wombwell13 October 2017
A typical day at work was very stressful because we were always under staffed and the managment was not fantastic, however the training was very good and I learned new skills all the time.
the hours were not very practical for a mother or for anyone wanting to finish at certain times as these were never garunteed finishes.
also staff gets called in alot on their days off.

my most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new faces everyday and seeing all of the regular customers i especially enjoyed the older age range as they were lovely and fantastic people to serve.
Pros
dsicount on lunches
Cons
long hours, zero hour contracts no chance of set shifts if you hadnt been there long
Kitchen staff
Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Yeadon, West Yorkshire12 October 2017
What I have gained from this job: Since I began working in the busy kitchen environment, I have ultimately grown more confident when engaging with new people and developed my time management skills efficiently. There is a strict standard operating procedure at work which I have to meet which has helped me develop my skills within communication and patience to make me the strong team worker that I am today
Pros
easy to pick up extra shifts
Cons
long hours and don't have enough time for you
Fast and Efficient
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey11 October 2017
The team are fantastic and help you to have a smile even when the work load is high. I have learnt how to work quickly, efficiently and to a high standard. The management are friendly and always help with any queries. The work place culture is great, because we are all in the same high pressure situation there is a real sense of unity in the team. the hardest part of the job is closing the kitchen. This involves a lot of strenuous cleaning, and can sometimes take until 3am. The most enjoyable part of the job working with friends.
Pros
In Chain Discounts
Cons
Unsociable Hours
Fun but hard
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton10 October 2017
I learnt a great deal with this company and worked up to a very good very level with decent money involved. learnt a lot of policies, law and other operations you need to learn when working in that kind of establishment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8