J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Ok
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 April 2018
Its a ok company to start with, but it gives you an idea on how to deal with difficult customers. staff training is all in house and very inconsistence and main focus seems to be based on what the company wants without hearing staff or customers.
Pros
50% off food dureing work hours
Cons
low pay
where chefs go to die
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 April 2018
Wetherspoons is not for CHEFS.
Do not apply if you know how to do your job.
Worse than McDonald’s the food is not fit for human consumption.
There is no training unless you brown nose to get it.
Breaks....what are those even if they are kind enough to give you what your entitled to it will more than likely be cut short by someone who’s paid 10p more than you but thinks they own the company.
The only kitchen I have ever worked in where the 6am cleaner is also the 9 o clock breakfast chef while your manager strolls in at 11am and just puts toast on a plate and tells you to move faster.
They tell you it’s a pro being paid weekly! Try leaving.
Just all round scummy. Even those cheap beers people rave about are either stale or about to go stale.
Every spoons is the same hence why half your page will be full of spoons opportunities, there’s a reason no one wants to work there.
Pros
Cons
Everything even the people
Shockingly bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 April 2018
Worst place I’ve ever worked. Got no training after I specified I had no bar experience and the staff were bigger perverts than the customers. Got propositioned at least 5 times a shift by the staff (which the pub manager knew about but continued to do nothing) and the customers were a nightmare. Not worth the stress for such little pay.
Bad job for work life balance
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire5 April 2018
Managers look down on staff. Expected to work every weekend if new, favouritism to certain individuals who get every weekend off. make you work short shifts but 6 days a week.
Pros
50% off Lunches
Cons
Management, Hours, Holiday
Unpredictable workplace, overwork staff
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire4 April 2018
I’ve worked here for over half a year, and I have never been so tired and keep getting illnesses as much as I have now in all my life. One shift I’m doing a close and not finishing til 2 in the morning the next I’m wakjng up at 5am. There is no routine, it messes your body up, and to top it off the work is exhausting. I could barely move one day because my legs were just giving up on me. The management don’t care about anyone’s problems, they’ll happily get rid of anybody regardless of messing people’s lives up. The job can get tedious also, doing the same thing again and again day in day out, I actually cannot wait to get a new job and do better hours again:
Pros
50% discount on shift
Cons
No work/life balance, routine, careless management
Poor company
Staff (Former Employee) –  Eccles, Greater Manchester3 April 2018
Poor company to work management sit in the office playing on there phones pretending to office stuff ralse staff struggle on the bar and floor bonus is rubbish aswell
Okay
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Huyton Quarry2 April 2018
It was okay I suppose.. I was never given the transfer I was promised when I left fo University so bad taste left i my mouth. The kitchen manager has since been fired but I still would never work for Spoons again.
Not a very satisfying job
Part-time kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Exeter30 March 2018
This job was messy, I smelled of food after every shift, I burned my fingers, the hygiene standards were not kept up by the management or senior staff which shocked me. The work pace is too fast for most people and there is a lot of pressure, meaning mistakes are easily made.
Not great benefits except discount on food, the pay was fairly low and the work I did was tedious, messy and fast. My colleagues were fairly critical of the company and it seemed like no one actually liked working there.

I left fairly quickly, only stayed a few months.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
long shifts, not good atmosphere
Great company
Kitchen Manager, Sedge Lynn (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 March 2018
Good place to learn and grow.

Each pub is managed individually so standards can vary, but they are all overseen by area managers and other head office staff, which keeps standards consistent.

If you're looking to get a job in the food and drink industry, there is no better place to work up and gain experience. The training is excellent and the opportunities to progress are there.

It's hard work and the pay isn't great but it's better than most pub jobs. Good benefits package with discounts and free shares after a while working there.

Work/life balance is poor, but it is an area they are working on improving. The culture is to work staff incredibly hard and some people might be burned out by it.
Pros
Discounts, career development
Cons
hard work & poor work/life balance
Good for first timers and extra money
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire28 March 2018
I currently work at a Wetherspoons and it has its ups and downs but at the end of the day the team has each others backs.
All members of staff are welcoming and willing to help with whatever you need.
You get 20 % off when not working and 50% when on shift and it’s definitely worth it!
You get some hard customers from time to time but you get use to it as no matter where you end up in in the working industry you will always experience this.
Mangers are always on hand and listen when there is either a problem or if you have a idea to improve the pub.
Pay is a week in advance and weekly
Pros
Meeting friends for life
Cons
Rude customers from time to time
dangerous
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk27 March 2018
The managers didn't care for the employees' safety when the customers became abusive, they simply wanted to keep taking their money to line their own pockets. They supposedly ban the really violent customers but always let them back in. A customer spat in my face and the manager couldn't be bothered to bar him. Very Victorian and they do not care for your welfare. A highly dangerous environment.
Pros
I managed to escape
Cons
Violence and bullying
Good Bonus Scheme, Very Repetitive
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 March 2018
Good Bonus Scheme, Very Repetitive, easy to progress but very restrained with budgets and the job is very much the same thing day in and day out with a high turnover of staff
Pros
Bonis Scheme, Do Own Rotas
Cons
Staff Turnover
It is a good place to work
Kings Head Inn (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire21 March 2018
It is a great company to work for slow progression. fast pace, can also be slower in down periods but that is the same anywhere. Management are ok, just need to work on their people skills
micro management
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire21 March 2018
If you are wanting to bring your own ideas and manage your unit the way you feel best, then this is not the company for you. If you like clear instructions on how to run your unit and micro management gives you reassurance then this is the company for you.
Pros
bonus, job security
Cons
micro managed
Busy!
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Norwich21 March 2018
Working in spoons, there is never a boring shift. It's keeps you on your toes and you get experience with the best and the worst of customers. It's very good experience. Hours are flexible and management are always very accommodating.
There want blood
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire19 March 2018
I don’t mind hard work. But I never work for a company that wants blood from its staff. Everyone learns at different speed. I was show a couple off times and expected to get it. There well organised but everyone has a different way of doing things. I was made to feel uncomfortable when I ask how to do somethings. Never any positive feed back always negative. I was most of the time put on pot wash, so never really had a chance to get the hang of things. It was hard to get a break sometimes too. I can say I work for a lot of pubs in there kitchens, but nothing like this. But the staff was great. Kitchen manager did not have people skills.
Pros
Weekly paid
Cons
12hrs shifts and 2.30am finish
Poor place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire17 March 2018
The managers horrible don't care don't help you to learn nothing one says one thing other one says other thing so never know if doing right or wrong got let go for stupid reason wasn't really right never work for wetherspoon again!
Horrible management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset17 March 2018
If you want to be treated like a dog come work at The King of Wessex!!! The current pub manager definitely had her favorite minions to do the dirty and everyone else was a bad member of staff!
Horrible place to work. Wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Cons
everything
easy work difficult to manage
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Cardiff17 March 2018
mostly joyful environment with little time for training new staff inside a busy establishment , most new employed are ranged from college and university student so only available part time making difficult to manage there training.
Pros
50% off food and non alcohol drinks
Cons
depending on service working hours range 8 - 12+
Team based work
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport, West Sussex15 March 2018
Important to have people skills and patients
Hours can be tough in an airport
Pay is good and opportunities to better yourself are numerous
Busy workplace so it is important to stay focused
Pros
Discounts on food are huge
Cons
Airport security is a pain and a pass takes a few weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.