J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Good place to work for.
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Ramsgate, Kent19 February 2018
Nice and friendly place to work with good overall atmosphere. Started part time and liked working here so moved on to a full position with the help of the management staff.
Pros
Staff discounts
unenjoyable
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 February 2018
Enjoyed my job due to the amount of time I spent in the kitchen, as it was a small establishment, I was alone most of the time, however some people who I worked with were awkward and made the job less enjoyable
Wouldnt advise
Bar/Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Stalybridge, Greater Manchester14 February 2018
Management teams have absolutr lack of communication and all work against eachother. The hours will not work around you, i gave my availability and was always given hours on days i was not available. Was promised training which was never given, was not given contracted hours and was overall a poor place to work. Most of the staff complained about working conditions and it showed with several members of staff leaving all in a small period of time. The staff were great in sticking together and supported eachother in ways that you would expect the managers to do.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Poor management
No Comment
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louth13 February 2018
Difficult company to work for. Will not work for this company again. Staff rude and motivation low. Hygiene and training seem non existent. Not helpful nor understanding.
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Fun But At Some Cost
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot12 February 2018
A great place to begin your employment story. You will build friendships and really get the sense that you working together as a team. The drinks you will share with your fellow staff members after a busy shift will be treasured. With that being said, be prepared to miss most of the great times out. Christmas, Boxing Days, Bank Holidays, Halloween, Big sporting events, you'll understandingly be working them all.
Pros
Great work atmosphere.
Cons
Very unsociable hours.
Excellent training, fast progression potential. Low wage and unsociable hours
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire12 February 2018
Fun place to work, great for meeting people. Excellent training and career progression potential and very flexable, however unsociable hours and pay could be better given the workload and requirements of the job.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unsociable hours
Good 7 years.
Shift/kitchen manager (Former Employee) –  Devon12 February 2018
Lots of experience gained from JDW in management, training, stock and cash control, customer service and business analysis.

Pub team was awesome. Hard working, happy staff.

CQSMA scheme flawed with poor calls from head office and senior management. Targets can be unfair and unattainable.

Generally had a very positive experience but had to leave due to poor area management and unable to create a work life balance to suit me and the business.
Pros
Lots of employee benefits. Good progression opportunities. Good training programmes
Cons
Lots of stress. Unrealistic targets.
the staff are hep and understand
Bar staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate9 February 2018
it good place to work with and have a good laugh the staff are ready help and work at a team together it vey hard job to work with sometime and not all time
Pros
it very hard work job
Cons
i do not like doing some body job on top my job
A lot changes in 11 years
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire9 February 2018
Depending on which department you work in, will depend on the ability to progress your career effectively. Training and support from senior managers is minimal and it's very much a sink or swim attitude. It's a tough transition between different areas of the business.
This on the other hand does make you have to learn things for yourself and find answers using alternative means which increases your resourcefulness, even if it does also increase the stress levels.
Job descriptions are not always a true reflection of the actual job role, and flexibility that is agreed initially does not always come to fruition.
11 years in though, so it hasn't all been negative. The company has changed a lot in those years.
Pros
discount on food, drink and hotels. Benefits are generally good
Cons
Senior managers can seem removed from the teams
amazing
Kitchen Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Lichfield City Centre, Staffordshire7 February 2018
Although i wasn't working full time being on a 0 hour contract fell difficult as i couldn't plan my social life until the rotas were up. I was payed weekly on a Friday and for what i worked the money was OK.
Staff was friendly even when stressed and the pub was rammed, i made some good friends working there and to be honest i wish that i never left
Pros
Friends
Cons
uncertain hours
Fun place to work with great flexibility, but pay is not worth the amount of work.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chichester7 February 2018
I worked at J D Wetherspoon for just over a year, and was amazed to find out the structure of the company. The job role itself was intense, requiring long amounts of cleaning time at the end of the evening (approx. 2-3 hours of closing down still on the exact pay as you would be had you been working during the day shift. The structure of the pay was the weirdest part of the job, a kitchen associate was on exactly the same pay as a supervisor on the bar, meaning that a promotion on bar was pretty irrelevant, and a kitchen supervisor was on more money than a bar supervisor, despite their job being exactly the same (other than dealing with food preparation).

The CEO of the company ensures that Brexit is at the forefront of every working day. The company magazine, distributed in every pub, has pages upon pages of political opinions, which is spread across beer mats, and posters in the pubs. In the run up to the Brexit referendum, staff were told they had to start every conversation with customers by asking them their political opinion on Brexit. So there is no attempt to get away from the day to day stresses of the real world and sit down to a nice cold pint of beer, instead you are bombarded with the CEO's often brass opinions of the world.

The company brags it has world class training for its staff, however you do not receive the full rate of pay advertised in the initial job application until you complete around a ridiculous 20 hours of online staff training, all in your own time with no pay for doing it. The same applies when you gain a promotion.

On the whole, I
  more... thoroughly enjoyed my time at J D Wetherspoon but only due to the passionate and kind people that I worked with. I cannot fault their dedication and commitment to the job role, despite receiving little to no praise from the company CEO and Area Managers, and the lack of a pay rise for unsociable hours.  less
Pros
Flexible hours, staff discount.
Cons
No pay for unsociable hours, Horrendously long staff training, Bad pay.
Hard work but rewarding
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire6 February 2018
as a manager you have a lot on your hands but it is very rewarding in the end. only real issue with this job is the late hours of finish. progression is based upon ability rather than length of service.
Pros
free food, free shares and 20% off drinks
Cons
long hours and late nights
A mixed bag
Part-time Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 February 2018
The hours are long and hard, there is almost no time to take a breather. Wetherspoons tend to be underemployed (the turnover rate is massive), so the workload is not balanced out. At least the staff are great. I stayed in this job as long as I have, because some staff were really supportive and helpful.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long hours, almost no benefits, underpaid for workload
Stressful but lovely team
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Keswick6 February 2018
whilst working at Wetherspoons I had found that it is constantly understaffed. However, the people that work there make the job seem very enjoyable but keeps the place running smoothly. It was a stressful job but I stayed there for a long time because there is amazing people that work there.
kitchen assistant
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 February 2018
this job role was high stress job which wasn't an issue for me but the issue I had with the job role was management false hopes with working way up career ladder the long shifts with no thank you and the unpredictability of the hours. besides this overall experiences was good nice teams good atmosphere and taught me a lot about kitchen and health and hygiene work.
Pros
nice discounts flexible and good holday days
Cons
unsecure hours high stress
Great for students, not so much a career
Cross trained bar associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol Temple Meads Station, Bristol31 January 2018
Great flexibility around working patterns for students; I was always able to get the amount of hours I wanted, when I wanted them, and could always book off time if needed for studies.
Lovely team, Caring and nice enviroment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gwynedd30 January 2018
Unfortunately i had to leave employment, due to the amount of hours weatherpersons could offer me overall, good team and enjoyed the experience.I gained my online training in food safety and a refresher of experiencing working in a kitchen environment.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Amount of hours
Great workplace but stressful shifts and tough sleep
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Cardiff29 January 2018
Typical day at work involves serving customers, making drinks, running food, clearing floor and cleaning the bar.
Its a great social environment, I met many great friends and everyone goes out on days off together.
The management can let the company down. I love the job and the pub but had issues with overworking and bad hours around my university studies making me fall behind with work and grades.
Often understaffed as the desire is to save money and hours, which can make shifts stressful if you dont work hard and fast. I've always loved this aspect of the job but recently found management blames staff for poor organisation and often made to feel bad at the job or lazy.
Hours are difficult, 12 hour days on events which are exhausting and constantly put on finishes which means not getting out of the pub until 3/4am and not getting home until 5am. Knocks your sleep for days and then your back in on finish again.
Had no meaningful response to telling any manager about need for less hours/finishes.
You come to be proud of your pub and make the best friends.
Pros
Great coworkers, good bonuses, lots of available hours, great discount on food and drink
Cons
long hours, late shifts, poor management
Negative environment very little pay
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 January 2018
In my experience this company pays very little for what is expected of you.
Management including pub and area managers have so much on their plate that even if they were nice people they do not have time to care about anything but trying to cut hours and increase income to the pub
okay workplace
floor/bar staff (Former Employee) –  London27 January 2018
An average pub working environment, senior staff were sometimes inappropriate, e.g. favouritism, gossiping etc but nothing out of the ordinary for majority of work environments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.