J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

fun place
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 November 2017
worked for them for 15 years there were good and bad times but overall i really enjoyed my time. Area managers not all need to be looked at as you really need to understand the needs for the business and how people are dealt with.
Pros
team work
Excellent employer
General Manager and Licensee (Former Employee) –  Various28 November 2017
Typical day involves the following as a manager:
Unlock site, do a site walk to assess where you are for the day and complete fire checks, health and safety checks and cleanliness checks, count safe & tills, check in on kitchen and bar team to ensure set up is on track(team size may vary, could be you and one other first thing or could be you and many more.
Review sales and hours for previous day, week, receive deliveries daily.
Stock counts are done weekly, line checks daily.
On the job training given to team, ensure you corrective coach throughout the day as required, complete team meetings, customer liaison meetings, management meetings, 121 appraisals, interviews, inductions, area meetings with your AM.
You could visit and train other sites, there's quite a lot of things to do outside your pub once you're got it where you want it.
The list is endless really so it keeps you busy, ensuring you have a well trained team is essential, some days a great, some days are tougher than others but that's to be expected in any job. I loved working for them.
Pros
Great team spirit, job security, very good training.
Cons
Obviously you have to work evenings - but you know that when you join so it's fine!
Make your own
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, North Yorkshire28 November 2017
Difficult to really write something.
Guess what i am getting at is, you really have to give it a go before writing down if it is good or bad.

Im my case - bad.

Exploited (good will taken advantage of)
Abusive boss
Rate of pay a lot less than shift manager - yet the responsibilites are EXACTLY the same.

Good bits
Discounted food
Occasiinal rewards for hitting targets
Charity fundraising
Some regulars only came in because "of you" which was kind of nice i guess.
Decent pension scheme
Progression oportunities always available
Pros
Listed in description
Cons
Listed in description
Beware!
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire28 November 2017
Beware! You will be turfed out if you have any other commitments other than this job.

As expected the hours are unsociable and will likely change week to week.

You are expendable to management and pubs van be very cliquey.

The only plus is that should your pub be hitting its targets you end up getting pretty much a free weeks wage as a bonus.
Pros
Potential big bonuses
Cons
Unsociable hours, Managerment don't care
Fun and interactive workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk25 November 2017
Lots of really nice people, work isn't too stressful and you bond with co workers easily. Management can vary from pub to pub, but generally they are nice people too. I learnt loads of new skills and help developed my social skills at the same time. It's a great starter job and you also have plenty of chances to advance up the ladder if you're looking for something more permanent.
Pros
discount on food and drinks
Cons
management can be poor at times
Easy work enviroment
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge23 November 2017
At work everyone was friendly and excited to help me progress and learn new skills. I learned how to make new drinks I hadn't heard of before and improved my customer service skills.
cheap food and drink at what cost
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ilkeston, Derbyshire22 November 2017
I started as kitchen supervisor worked my way up to bar manager but 60 hours a week for 18000 is not what u want in a career staff turn over was always a issue as min wage who wants to stay for that and there asked to do a heck of a job for such pay however staff progression is good to better roles and u got discount on food and a good uniform
Pros
discount food
Okay
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chepstow21 November 2017
The staff was great to work with all ways a laugh but the manger was so up tight and didnt have a clue but there is a new manger now and people that still work there say hes great
Awful Company,
Slave (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester21 November 2017
Don't work here horrible management, look elsewhere , slave labour, I stuck it out for 9 months,then moved on,thank god I found somewhere else,be warned.
Very enjoyably atmosphere
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London17 November 2017
During my time at this company i learned how to handle cash really well and how to properly use a till. Working here taught me how to handle people better no matter the situation and has given me overall confidence, especially when it comes to approaching people and speaking up when i feel a need to. Management was always kind and helpful, i felt like i could always talk to them if need be. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the time spent getting to know the regular customers, it was really nice and refreshing walking into work with them going out there way to say hello to you or to tell you about their day. the workplace was never a dull moment as there were so many different personalities and characters working with me, you can always have a laugh when needed however, when it came to getting the job done everyone would buckle down and work together.
Pros
Very flexible around my uni timetable. out of work food discounts

Want to know more about J D Wetherspoon PLC?

Ask a question
Fun workplace
Bar team leader (Former Employee) –  Durham City Centre, Durham17 November 2017
Great staff with easy to get to location. Great company benefits and an amazing team of staff. 50% off food on shift and 33% off food and drink at all JD Wetherspoon venues
Sociable place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire16 November 2017
Sociable place to work but long and unsociable hours to go with it.
Could do with rotas being changed around to suit everyone because they only suit managers and most of the time understaffed on busy days, plenty of staff on slow days.
Pros
Nice food
Awful towards the end
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire16 November 2017
Worked for them for 14 half years. To start off with I enjoyed it. But You see far too much, if your face does not fit then you are out. Some auditors and area managers are not professional at all. One rule for one, and another for another. If you do not fit in you are pushed out regardless of another venue is doing the same. lot of double standards. The hours are unrealistic and they expect far too much from the hours they give you. The pressure is unbelievable and the lack of support is shocking. I wouldn’t work here if it was the last job on the earth.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lack of support. Double standards. Long hours. Poor pay
fun workplace
Trainee Manager (Former Employee) –  North Cheam and South Croydon13 November 2017
In my time at JD Wetherspoons I had a great time, good staff, seem decent management and the culture is drummed in to you fro day one so it remains in the mind.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
long hours for managers
Not worth it
Not applicable (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire9 November 2017
Underpaid and staff and management treats people like they are nothing
If you leave your job they don't want you even as customers.
If you expect help from the head office. . Don't try
Productive, fun and flexible.
Barman/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Rochdale9 November 2017
Very reliable place to work
Good for building bar experience and product knowledge
Very friendly colleagues
Can be stressful when busy, but is fun to do
Has many opportunities for advancement through management
Happy workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool7 November 2017
A typical day at work in Wetherspoons would be a busy and fast paced environment, eg footbal match days, ensuring all customers were served professionally and in a timely manner. I would describe the workplace mentality as a harmonious one, taking on the task presented with a welcoming approach and a sense of humour. I learned that team work is essential in working in a pub environment, ie- someone to fill up ice dumps, someone to do replenish stock and toilet checks, for example. The most enjoyable part of the job is building a rapport with customers, local and new and making new friends with your fellow colleagues. The hardest part of the job is, for example, when a member of staff has called in sick or if not enough staff have been delegated for a shift, meaning you would have to put the extra effort in.
Long hours, fast busy pace environment
shift leader (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire5 November 2017
8hr+ shift weekends longer hours, busy, learned a lot through the 7 years. never felt like a typical job. management team was brill! always having a laugh
Pros
free lunches, rota was fair throughout the whole team.
Cons
long unsociable hours for low pay
Waiter
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland3 November 2017
Dealing with various customer food orders, ensuring a high level of customer care, Keeping the restaurant a clean and pleasant place to be. I enjoyed interacting with new people but didn't like the shift pattern I sometimes had to work. But this job was only temporary
It was not fun workplace
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Islington, Greater London1 November 2017
5.30am to start with cleaning
7am opening
Busy and busy
I learned commercial kitchen culture
Management was worst
No one giving training you have to learn everything yourself
The hardest part of the job the behaviour of the management and lifting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8