J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

stressful with no feeling of fullfillment
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire2 June 2018
they work the staff extremely hard and are never quite happy with their performance regardless of the effort put in, whilst the managers sit around doing nothing.
Flexibile workplace, long hours
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow31 May 2018
long shifts but flexibility to allow for better work-life balance where possible. ability to move up quickly if determined enough to put in the effort and with good management
I think sometimes a job is just a job
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Cannock, Staffordshire30 May 2018
Dependant on circumstances this could be a good role for some one looking for some part time work. However If you are ambitious then Its a place that can get you sucked in.
A job with little benefits
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Essex29 May 2018
I have enjoyed working as part of a team, however haven't felt like I can be challenged to my full potential. Often the management is under stress and we get little in the way of breaks. However, my contract has been flexible which has meant I can travel.
Great Colleagues but Usual Frustrations of Large Employer
shift leader (Current Employee) –  UK29 May 2018
OK company to work for. Not great long term. Colleagues are mostly supportive, but in current economic climate there is always the wanting 'something for nothing' on part of company. Often staffing is too low to keep pub functioning efficiently.
Worst company
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff25 May 2018
Worst company I ever worked with it’s seems they only care about making money out of my back and that’s it no good team Leader t management poor staff everything up side down
Pros
Notting really
Cons
Worse place I ever faced
the company changed alot over the years
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire22 May 2018
towards the end of my time with Wetherspoons I stopped enjoying woring for them. the company became very greedy and made bonuses impossible to achieve, this went everything they promised to new starters. hours got tight but they expected more and more off you.
Horrible place to work for
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire21 May 2018
I would never work for wetherspoons if you paid me double too many two faced back stabbing staff and also young kids working there don't get a job at any wetherspoons if you want to keep your dignity
Pros
Cons
Twofaced staff
fun place
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stalybridge21 May 2018
lots of friendly staff here at weatherspoons loads of fun with staff lots of events celebrated also cutomer service is really good always on the ball great food
Ideal workplace for students
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Southend, Essex20 May 2018
From working at this establishment, I have gained several skills as well as developing known skills.
Shifts pattern are flexible to suit workers needs as well as overtime.
Social benefits to working here.

Want to know more about J D Wetherspoon PLC?

Ask a question
Can be fun and Productive
Bar and Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Drummond17 May 2018
Cavernous, Soul Sucking you feel like a slave. JD Wetherspoon doesn't even follow their own policies. DON'T work for them. Their the EA of Bar Chains.
Pros
Free shares
Cons
Over worked Under paid
Crew can be like a family but management can be eh
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven16 May 2018
Love love love working for spoons but the managers don't even bother to get on with staff. Pay isn't worth putting up with them to be honest...

A good load of experience though.
productive and fun workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  Warminster10 May 2018
you will be expected to fullfill food and beverage to a high specification.
online training is expected to gain knowledge off all required job roles.
progression is possible but not always supported
Pros
discount on food and drink
Good weekend job
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire8 May 2018
I worked here for a short while however many issues arose with management not pulling their own back when bar and kitchen staff were often getting slammed. I also found myself being bullied by other members of staff and this was not resolved forcing me to leave.
Horrible place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire6 May 2018
Awful.place to work, the management seem to think they're above doing actual work. The most productive staff get treated the worst, you never leave on time and there are very obvious favourites especially amongst management!
The shifts vary depending on whether or not your face fits, you are expected to give up any social time and rarely get support when you are on shift as managers going for a cigarette break is a priority!
You never get a proper break and get villified if you ask for one.
And some of the excuses the lazy staff have for throwing shifts are beyond a joke! It used to be a nice place to work but I would now tell anyone applying here, for you own sanity, DO NOT!
Kitchen Manager
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset3 May 2018
JD Wetherspoon has one of the most widely recognised and appraised training systems for its management in the industry. I gained knowledge and skills that other companies haven't even touched upon and I will always value the time I spent there.

That being said, you get out what you put in and you have to be willing to work incredibly hard and prepared to do the higher roles you wish for before you actually achieve them in order to prove your ability. I don't think this is a bad thing as I think it shows tenacity and character but it's not for everyone.

I didn't have a very good work life balance once I reached the kitchen manager role, however that varies for different people and it also depends how available you make yourself. I felt very much on call 24/7 however being young, single and living a five minute walk from my place of work and picking up the phone every time it rang no matter what didn't do myself any favours.

It's a tough environment, and it's very competitive, but as a company to work for I would recommend it and I wouldn't say I would never consider going back, I've maintained positive professional relationships with a number of the senior management team in my area for that very reason.

There are a number of perks, recently since I left they've reduced the contracted hours and given the management a pay rise which is always well received, and the shares scheme is fantastic, I know people that have used their shares to contribute to a deposit on a house or buy a new car.
Pros
Free shares, free food for management, flexible hours
Cons
Poor work life balance
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  East Grinstead3 May 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wetherspoons, it's a great fast paced environment working alongside great people. My omly gripe was the sporadict hours, where i could work at anytijenof the day. Sometimes working into the early hours of the morning.
Pros
Employee dicount
Cons
No shift structure
Loved this job. Ruined by some management.
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Louth, Lincolnshire2 May 2018
Absolutely love working at spoons but due to poor management and bad work environment, I felt incredibly unwelcome and out of place. Often customers feel the same. There are lots of lovely people who work there but often it's the rude ones who work on the bar and give off a bad impression.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Work environment can be toxic
tough
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  cardiff1 May 2018
Hard work but nice colleagues. Typical day involves a lot of orders from customers all at once, e.g. lunch. High pressure environment and important that team works well together to provide a good service.
Decent job
Early Morning Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Okehampton, Devon30 April 2018
Not been here as long as someone could be before writing a review but here's my two cents

During the interview it was agreed that I would do some housekeeping to do on the side as at the time I needed to get my hours up but as I currently have 2 jobs I wouldn't be able to juggle that as well

At first it was a bit uneasy atmosphere-wise with the other coworkers as they had their little "clique" in the mornings and I was just a body, however as time went on they've 'accepted' me into the group.

Talking from a work sense it was a change of pace having such a short time frame to get things done ) As we only have a few hours to complete all of our tasks, it can be a tad harder if someone calls in sick leaving just two cleaners on instead of three (at least that's the case at the premises I'm at)

Three months into the job I was rota'd on to work by myself for two days of the five I was on for, which was fine I didn't mind as I know what was expected and able to come in earlier then I'm meant to.

Fast forward to today and I've taken it upon myself to come in extra early just to help prepare on our tasks which makes the team more efficient which Management have been fine with as we did have a lady do the same but she is currently off on holiday so we needed someone to step up, seeing as I live 5 mins away it made sense for me to do so.
Pros
discounts on food, friendly staff
Cons
early start (but expected as its part of the job), rota changes without notice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.