J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Good Bonus Scheme, Very Repetitive
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 March 2018
Good Bonus Scheme, Very Repetitive, easy to progress but very restrained with budgets and the job is very much the same thing day in and day out with a high turnover of staff
Pros
Bonis Scheme, Do Own Rotas
Cons
Staff Turnover
It is a good place to work
Kings Head Inn (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire21 March 2018
It is a great company to work for slow progression. fast pace, can also be slower in down periods but that is the same anywhere. Management are ok, just need to work on their people skills
micro management
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire21 March 2018
If you are wanting to bring your own ideas and manage your unit the way you feel best, then this is not the company for you. If you like clear instructions on how to run your unit and micro management gives you reassurance then this is the company for you.
Pros
bonus, job security
Cons
micro managed
Busy!
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Norwich21 March 2018
Working in spoons, there is never a boring shift. It's keeps you on your toes and you get experience with the best and the worst of customers. It's very good experience. Hours are flexible and management are always very accommodating.
There want blood
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire19 March 2018
I don’t mind hard work. But I never work for a company that wants blood from its staff. Everyone learns at different speed. I was show a couple off times and expected to get it. There well organised but everyone has a different way of doing things. I was made to feel uncomfortable when I ask how to do somethings. Never any positive feed back always negative. I was most of the time put on pot wash, so never really had a chance to get the hang of things. It was hard to get a break sometimes too. I can say I work for a lot of pubs in there kitchens, but nothing like this. But the staff was great. Kitchen manager did not have people skills.
Pros
Weekly paid
Cons
12hrs shifts and 2.30am finish
Poor place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire17 March 2018
The managers horrible don't care don't help you to learn nothing one says one thing other one says other thing so never know if doing right or wrong got let go for stupid reason wasn't really right never work for wetherspoon again!
Horrible management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset17 March 2018
If you want to be treated like a dog come work at The King of Wessex!!! The current pub manager definitely had her favorite minions to do the dirty and everyone else was a bad member of staff!
Horrible place to work. Wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Cons
everything
easy work difficult to manage
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Cardiff17 March 2018
mostly joyful environment with little time for training new staff inside a busy establishment , most new employed are ranged from college and university student so only available part time making difficult to manage there training.
Pros
50% off food and non alcohol drinks
Cons
depending on service working hours range 8 - 12+
Team based work
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport, West Sussex15 March 2018
Important to have people skills and patients
Hours can be tough in an airport
Pay is good and opportunities to better yourself are numerous
Busy workplace so it is important to stay focused
Pros
Discounts on food are huge
Cons
Airport security is a pain and a pass takes a few weeks
Miserable place to work.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 March 2018
The particular spoons that I worked for was terrible. Incredibly stressful, strained and frankly dangerous. Unsupportive management and a high employee turnover.
Pros
discounted food though still more expensive than any deli.
Cons
dangerous and strained work environment
Nice Environment
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Hertford10 March 2018
Staff and managers are understanding and will help you to learn and perform all the roles when starting the job. However, not a lot of further help is provided
Pros
Good shift times
Cons
Booking shifts on days that have been said as unavailable
good
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny, Blaenau Gwent4 March 2018
good place to work. lots of friendly staff. good to see you hard work pay off when you see how clean the pub is. management are good. pay is good. hours could be longer.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not enough hours
Fun environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Harrow3 March 2018
Good place to gain experience. Allows good progression if good at the role. Good benefits including shares and free mood also discounts for all staff.
Un ambiente bueno entre trabajadores.
ayudante de cocina (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Londres1 March 2018
Muy buen ambiente.
Aprendes muchas cosas y es facil trabajar.
Generally good, fun team butolder staff a bit 'stuffy'
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 February 2018
Enjoyed the job and met some really nice folk. Minimum contract was 8 hours - I was working crazy 30+ some weeks, with every weekend working. Worked New Year Eve and Day. Worked on the late shift, supposedly finishing at 11 or 12. Most of the time I'd get home just before 3am. Am full time student who cannot afford to work so many hours and so many crazy closing shifts. Management need to recognise this in their part time staff, and try to be more accomodating.
Pros
Pretty nice team, ok food, decent pay
Cons
extra long shifts, too many late shifts, work/life balance is non existent
Atmosphere in the workplace
kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny, Blaenau Gwent26 February 2018
I enjoyed working in the kitchen at Wetherspoons, no matter if the day was busy or quiet the kitchen team on the whole were a great group of people and we all got along well and did our jobs to the best of our abilities. I learned many useful skills such unpacking deliveries, doing defrost, prepping food and more. The management was decent if not perfect, sometimes communication was not used when it should've been, sometimes people laid responsibilities onto others, but on the whole it was kept to a decent standard. The hardest part of the job was probably getting up for the early mornings, or when it was a busy night and you came into a messy kitchen with no prep done for you. The most enjoyable part for me was working and interacting with my fellow employee's who were all lovely people.
Pros
Break's are always tried to be given, easy to work your way up, great team, good in-company incentives
Cons
Some people relying on others, long hours
not too bad
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire26 February 2018
management was alright, shifts were ok but the hours were ridiculous, and where i worked in the kitchen you never got a break. was a laugh with other staff members
Pros
good people
Every Day is Different
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire25 February 2018
Overall it is a fun place to work, you meet new people every day at the bar, you get to know your regulars and its a good atmosphere. People go in pubs to enjoy themselves and thats what i like to provide for them a good atmosphere where the beers cold and the food it hot.
Pros
Staff Discount
Great
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2018
A typical day at work is very fast paced and fun. I have learnt a lot from JD Wetherspoon and they have taught me many of my management skills and customer skills communication skills. The management are good and they listen to your needs. They also offer good management course of which I have been on most of them. The hardest art of the job is dealing with drunk and aggressive customers on occasions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship groups you make, they get you through the day.
Pros
Free Food when working and Monthly bonus if your pub is doing well
Cons
Long and Late Hours
Good place to work for.
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Ramsgate, Kent19 February 2018
Nice and friendly place to work with good overall atmosphere. Started part time and liked working here so moved on to a full position with the help of the management staff.
Pros
Staff discounts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.