J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Found 1,801 reviews matching the search See all 1,853 reviews
good company
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Commercial Road, UK18 December 2018
an excellent company to work for training and bring an high standard of customers service. the training given with the company is amazing nationally recognised training in house.
bar work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, UK17 December 2018
average reviews about this job role.
definitely did not want to make a career here.
all training has to be done in your own free time.

perks discounted food and drinks when both on and off shift.
Pros
discounted food and drinks
Cons
training
No regards for staff
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire17 December 2018
I actually used to really enjoy my job in the wetherspoons I'm at but slowly but surely I began to hate it along with 90% of my colleagues.
Where do I even start? Management don't have much regard for staff and me and my colleagues all believe the manager looks down on us and talks to us like we are children.
Recently a manager snapped at me and of course I snapped back, she called me into the office and said I "bit her head off" and told people I shouted at her all did was I snapped back at her. Instead of baring it like I previously have and others do. Most of my shifts are causing me pain recently and I will admit it's having an effect on my mental health. She told me working with me is "unbarable" and that I have a face like thunder. She made me out to be the only member of staff that doesn't want to be here when most of the other associates don't either they simply hide it better. She also used the fact I got a payrise against me as if I should be on top of the world from a pay rise.
The only thing that makes work bareable is the other associates but personally I feel staff are deliberately making sure the staff who are good friends don't work together lately which is another reason I've been miserable. A few Times I was suppose to finish at 1 but made to stay untill finish 3-4am because the bar upstairs (its a two bar pub) I was closing alone wasn't finished at 1am. I jokingly asked the manager at the time what would happen if I actually left at 1am and she said I would be in a lot of trouble. So I unwillingly had to work another 3 hours.
Pros
50% of food on shift, good friends
Cons
Unreasonable hours, difficulty keeping up with uni work, treated like a child
Colleagues make it bearable
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Ilfracombe15 December 2018
The typical day you are asked to do more than what would normally be expected of one person. Long hours in the kitchen

Management provide as little support as possible.

The other staff keep you positive and make it bearable. It's not difficult work, its the amount of it that makes it tough

The hardest part of the job for me was the unsociable hours with little room for negotiation at my pub. Working late Xmas eve and early morning on New years day is not fun.
Pros
20% discount even when not working. Good level of breaks
Cons
Unsociable hours. Hard work.
Great
Team Leader - Bar (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 December 2018
Love working here. Always a great team, great managers, great customers. can always have a laugh. never feels like a chore to get up and go to work thier.
Good work colleges but stressful
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Barnsley, South Yorkshire10 December 2018
It is like any bar job requiring work on mainly every weekend but it has good opportunities for work advancement. The people who you work with are very friendly and i am still good friends with even after leaving.
Pros
plenty of work
Cons
Working weekends
Good opportunities
Title - Pub Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton, UK7 December 2018
secure and progressive company. lots of opportunity at all levels.
working for this company for nearly 10 years shows that it has lots of perks and reasons for continuing to work there.
A good option for students
cross-trained associate (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 December 2018
As a student, I find working for this company helpful. The money is higher than it would be in other bars, however, there is no tip. The staff in my pub is friendly, and the life-work balance is not bad. :) But I don't plan to stay in hospitality after I finished my studies.
Pros
Good work atmosohere
Cons
Have to work about 40 hours per week to make a living
Fast pace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasshoughton5 December 2018
Very good career progression
Fast paced environment
Hard working managment team
Good benefits e.g discounts
Making customers expiernce over all is the best part about this job
Very goal based and focused
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire5 December 2018
Very good company to work for if you can deal woth working unsociable hours and most weekends, can at times be massively overwhelming. Need to be thick skinned to work here as you get a lot of people who complain and can at times be quite hard to deal with.
Cons
Unsociable hours
Nice working place
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London4 December 2018
I enjoy working there all the staff are particularly friendly and are always willing to help out when you struggle or need some assistance. The management is very helpful and are willing to work around your personal lifestyle but still making sure that you get your required hours of work.
regimented
Manager at various sites (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2018
every day is more or less set out for each member of staff.the company itself has a strict set of guide lines which all staff are expected to follow.it is a company that focuses on customer services and experience as a priority
Pros
free lunches at management level
Cons
very long hours
Served its purpose
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey3 December 2018
Good social life with the job, but the hours are long and hard work especially on Friday/Saturday nights. That was definitely the hardest part, but excellent friendships are made.
No respect
Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside27 November 2018
Were do I start your just a number not a person given no respect inept management but biggest thing is I've noticed the wrong people seem to get promoted don't get paid extra for working Christmas or Easter bank holidays
Pros
Can get decent bonuses
Cons
Bad managers no respect
Everyday was a different delightful day.
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Blackpool26 November 2018
A typical day would include satisfying the customers and making sure that they have all the correct stuff on each table to have an enjoyable experience.
I've learned how to work more professionally within group work as well as having developing my personality in a positive way.
The management was amazing the workplace felt like a little family and any issues was solved professionally and was organised having no problems with the rota's.
The hardest part of the job was bringing the customers back into the pub because glasses not being allowed onto the promenaded.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having conversations with the customers and getting to know the frequent people.
Pros
Getting given a scheme to allow myself to earn more money with the bonuses that are required
Cons
Wasn't getting enough hours so I had to end up in parting ways and getting a new job
Lousy way to be treated.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester18 November 2018
Worked for this company for a number of weeks, that was my misfortune. My pay was always wrong when I did eventually get paid, the staff were very unfriendly and reluctant to help me if I had an issue and they never used my name,they just used to shout OI! Managers are not very supportive either, you have one day off sick and you inform them by text giving plenty of notice and the following week they let you work part of your shift,bearing in mind this during the probationary period and they take you to one side and they fire you without any warning being given! Surely this is not legal or fair? A most unenjoyable experience and confidence draining to boot!
Pros
I didn't see any!
Cons
The entire experience
A good company to work for.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey14 November 2018
A good company to work for. Tough hours to work if its a busy pub. You'll have to be prepared to deal with situations that aren't very nice, such as drunk abusive customers.
Pros
Good bonuses if the pub is run well
Cons
late hours
The people were the best bit about the job
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 November 2018
Although it was a demanding place to work and it was fairly stressful, the people I worked with made the job enjoyable, and also the different customers and people from all over you meet and speak to when serving on the bar, I am glad for the experience.
Pros
Discount on drinks, how close the staff are
Cons
long demanding shifts wih unsociable hours
Comfortable place to work
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Formby, Lancashire14 November 2018
The management were really helpful and understanding of employees needs, the work place was a comfortable place to work in with lots of benefits during shifts and when off shift.
Wetherspoon was always good to me
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 November 2018
Worked in the Counting House in my early 20's and I loved it. Staff and management were great. Then left to pursue a career elsewhere. A few years later I needed some part-time work and again Wetherpoon's (different pub) was kind enough to oblige.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.