J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

good enviroment
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Perth22 September 2018
clock in to work, apron on and then start serving tables. After 4 hours of work I would get a half hour break. I learned how to deal with customers. Hardest part of the job was dealing with food complaints. Best part of the job was earning easy money while enjoying my job.
Pros
discount on food and drink
Cons
customer complaints
n/a
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London21 September 2018
Brilliant place of work ,very friendly environment and learnt a lot about customer service. On how to deal with aggressive customers etc ,brilliant two weeks of initial training also
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Great team. Ridiculous hours.
Bar and Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire17 September 2018
When I apply for a part time position I don't expect to be woken up and asked to work a 12 hour shift. The team are fantastic but the company culture is basically "work yourself to death for little recognition."
Cons
No notice on shift changes. Expected to cover random hours. No significant training, very much in at the deep end.
a very lively place to work
Host (Former Employee) –  Stansted Airport12 September 2018
Up at 2 am and in for a 4 am start. The pub was very busy from 4 til 8 for the early flights. The majority of passengers very friendly and smiley. i enjoyed helping them and the interaction with them. Always liked talking to the older people and ones travelling on their own. The management were pretty good as they all had to start at the bottom and work their way up to their current roles. They helped me settle in very well and guided me when i did something wrong. There was never any shouting or telling you off in front of the other staff. The majority of the staff worked very hard on their shifts and the customers were very happy with the food and service. Complaints were dealt with quickly and efficiently by either staff or management. The hardest part was dealing with rude customers, you get used to it and learn to brush it off but still never easy.
Pros
free breakfast or dinner and tea or coffee. Fun colleagues
Cons
very early hours and no social life
Good pay but probably not worth it
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Greater London6 September 2018
Unless you are looking to work yourself up into the management side of the Wetherspoons chain, I would not recommend working there. Depending on which pub you work at mostly management is lacking and you are left to figure out how to do your job especially if you were like me and had no previous knowledge to bar work. Mostly felt like i was a spare part to the company, constantly being shouted at for things that weren't my fault and sometimes being put into dangerous situations with rowdy customers.
Pros
discount, good pay, monthly bonuses plus extra
Cons
pub environment, bad management, sometimes horrible customers
hot, busy, noisy and very hard work
kitchen associate (Current Employee) –  Bideford, Devon5 September 2018
not a good place to work. difficult getting hours each week. high turn over of staff. poorly managed. have to be able to remain on your feet for hours and hours on end.
Productive and mentally tiring
Bar associate (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset3 September 2018
I found working for this company good and secure but also very stressful. I found it very difficult to build a career with this company as management can be full of false promises and will take advantage of your versatility. The team are great which made the job a lot more worth while but its not a good option as a career
Pros
Good Team and Mangement
Cons
Working long periods without a break
It’s flexible but poor conditions
Team leader (Former Employee) –  London3 September 2018
It’s okay if you’re looking for flexible working hours over uni. However this is a small benefit considering low pay, almost illegally short breaks (if you get one) and unsociable working hours including Christmas and new year. Not to mention abuse from customers and management. Still your colleagues make it bareable - after all you can all laugh about being in the same boat!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
Co-workers were awful
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Blyth, Northumberland31 August 2018
The general atmosphere etc of the pubs are nice, I enjoyed serving food and drinks and liked the job HOWEVER, you are so easily replaced, my co-workers were awful to me and they were the reason I left the job. The online training aswell is ridiculous and completely pointless.
Pros
a small discount
Cons
horrible co-workers and dreadful online training
Overall Good
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Somerset31 August 2018
It was a good start as a first job however it is very stressful in some kitchen enviroments however if you have a good team you will work through most issues.
Worst place ever
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire31 August 2018
-Unsociable Hours
-Dirty working conditions
-Limited breaks on shifts
-Too Demanding
-Online training is pointless and lazy
-Health and Safety terrible
-Managers treat you like dirt
DO NOT WORK FOR SUCH A COMPANY.
Tricky one
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bathgate30 August 2018
Atmosphere is always fun, especially on weekend shifts, always busy but can have a lot of laughs with customers and colleagues.

Although, you are not valued at all, see you as easy replaced.

Dislocated my elbow on shift, was given two painkillers and asked to lift trays of glasses.. yup, I know.
Pros
Discounted food and drinks
Cons
Will replace you in a week
Fun place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth28 August 2018
Good for a part time job. Not many hours and often work long shifts with little break if any at all. Often a lot of stress on shift. Can be a horrible place to work as some customers are rude and abusive. Not for someone who isn’t thick skinned
Pros
Discount, banter on shift
Cons
Breaks aren’t always adhered to. Rotas are not posted well enough in advance
unsupportive
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Barnsley24 August 2018
unsupportive management team, no work life balance, poor level of pay. unhelpful head office. area manager out of touch with the team. lack of support as a whole.
They just dont care
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Scotland24 August 2018
Had enough. Expected to work til we drop, no thanks from higher management, expectation always to work harder and then get punished when you fail due to exhaustion. Expected to be short staffed all the time and just accept it- or have to do the work of two staff members to make up for company failures. Took a long time for progression to be possible- a huge culture shift within the company has removed the fun relaxed atmosphere it used to be.
Team has been amazing, made some strong friends but they've all left due to the stress and bullying culture and nothing is done when you raise concerns.
Can't afford to take time off sick as I'll hit a trigger but shouldn't be needing to take strong painkillers every day just to bear the pain of walking over 8 miles a shift inside the pub minimum. I'm not sleeping and am suffering from anxiety at the thought of going back for my next shift.
I've lost so much due to this job, 7 years has not been worth it- my marriage is at risk, my son is used to me being too tired to do anything, I never get to see friends as I'm skint all the time, its just not worth it.
Pros
Free food on shift, 20% discount off shift
Cons
Long hours, punished for wanting a work/life balance
work review
Bar and Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire21 August 2018
this is an ideal place to work if youre looking for a first time job or even something on the side. just be punctual and have a decent work ethic and it will be the perfect job for anybody.
Productive and fun
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Wembley20 August 2018
Never a boring day. Great place to work as a student. Fast pace role, physically demanding at first but then adaptable. Strong multi tasking skills needed.
Pros
Discount on food and drinks
Cons
Unsociable hours
Hard work with long/unsociable hours at times
KITCHEN MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ilfracombe, Devon17 August 2018
Overall quite content with my job. Difficult at time but with my good problem solving techniques, I can make my job easier. Good bonuses and salary, also shares in the company which you can sell.
Pros
Managers feeding and bonuses
Cons
Unsociable hours at times
fun place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bicester16 August 2018
okay place to work. management all over the place.
learned how to cook a breakfasts.
best part of the job was having a laugh with the staff and getting along with everyone.
Pub Manager
PUB MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire16 August 2018
Poor work life balance if you are not careful but overall a good company to work for. Good training and the development is there if you want it. management do have a tendency to move the goalposts
Pros
Good training
Cons
Poor support from some line managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.