J D Wetherspoon PLC Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 473 reviews matching the search See all 1,759 reviews
hot, busy, noisy and very hard work
kitchen associate (Current Employee) –  Bideford, Devon5 September 2018
not a good place to work. difficult getting hours each week. high turn over of staff. poorly managed. have to be able to remain on your feet for hours and hours on end.
It’s flexible but poor conditions
Team leader (Former Employee) –  London3 September 2018
It’s okay if you’re looking for flexible working hours over uni. However this is a small benefit considering low pay, almost illegally short breaks (if you get one) and unsociable working hours including Christmas and new year. Not to mention abuse from customers and management. Still your colleagues make it bareable - after all you can all laugh about being in the same boat!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
Overall Good
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Somerset31 August 2018
It was a good start as a first job however it is very stressful in some kitchen enviroments however if you have a good team you will work through most issues.
Worst place ever
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire31 August 2018
-Unsociable Hours
-Dirty working conditions
-Limited breaks on shifts
-Too Demanding
-Online training is pointless and lazy
-Health and Safety terrible
-Managers treat you like dirt
DO NOT WORK FOR SUCH A COMPANY.
Fun place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth28 August 2018
Good for a part time job. Not many hours and often work long shifts with little break if any at all. Often a lot of stress on shift. Can be a horrible place to work as some customers are rude and abusive. Not for someone who isn’t thick skinned
Pros
Discount, banter on shift
Cons
Breaks aren’t always adhered to. Rotas are not posted well enough in advance
They just dont care
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Scotland24 August 2018
Had enough. Expected to work til we drop, no thanks from higher management, expectation always to work harder and then get punished when you fail due to exhaustion. Expected to be short staffed all the time and just accept it- or have to do the work of two staff members to make up for company failures. Took a long time for progression to be possible- a huge culture shift within the company has removed the fun relaxed atmosphere it used to be.
Team has been amazing, made some strong friends but they've all left due to the stress and bullying culture and nothing is done when you raise concerns.
Can't afford to take time off sick as I'll hit a trigger but shouldn't be needing to take strong painkillers every day just to bear the pain of walking over 8 miles a shift inside the pub minimum. I'm not sleeping and am suffering from anxiety at the thought of going back for my next shift.
I've lost so much due to this job, 7 years has not been worth it- my marriage is at risk, my son is used to me being too tired to do anything, I never get to see friends as I'm skint all the time, its just not worth it.
Pros
Free food on shift, 20% discount off shift
Cons
Long hours, punished for wanting a work/life balance
work review
Bar and Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire21 August 2018
this is an ideal place to work if youre looking for a first time job or even something on the side. just be punctual and have a decent work ethic and it will be the perfect job for anybody.
Productive and fun
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Wembley20 August 2018
Never a boring day. Great place to work as a student. Fast pace role, physically demanding at first but then adaptable. Strong multi tasking skills needed.
Pros
Discount on food and drinks
Cons
Unsociable hours
Hard work with long/unsociable hours at times
KITCHEN MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ilfracombe, Devon17 August 2018
Overall quite content with my job. Difficult at time but with my good problem solving techniques, I can make my job easier. Good bonuses and salary, also shares in the company which you can sell.
Pros
Managers feeding and bonuses
Cons
Unsociable hours at times
Kitchen Work
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 August 2018
The daily kitchen tasks are fairly simple. You'll be based at a station but it's not uncommon to be working on multiple locations at the same time. Job security is extremely good as more staff is always needed and the perks of working there are fairly good. However, the hours are very long it's not uncommon to work 15 hour days for an entire week. Food and drink is not free but there is a discount
Pros
Good Job Security, Advancement Options, Good Perks
Cons
Long Hours, No Bank Holidays, Work Weekends

Want to know more about J D Wetherspoon PLC?

Ask a question
hard working place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Worksop7 August 2018
it was hard to communicate with other staff.
never used to finish on time
they let me be in kitchen on my own even though you wasn't supposed to because of the health and safety regulations in place.
Pros
50% off food
Ok
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Leicester2 August 2018
Big companies are always good but no need to treat staff like monkeys or pay for that matter. Good for passing people, getting experience or for university students. Bonus ok.
Pros
50% food
Cons
Long working hours
Poorly managed and poorly paid
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Manchester17 July 2018
As bar-work goes, Wetherspoons is one of the worst. Maximum effort is required on minimum pay. There are no extra benefits to working weekends or anti-social hours, and you often have to work with no break as the management team to do not efficiently handle breaks and staff.
Pros
Discounted food and drinks.
Cons
Long, Anti-Social hours.
Great staff
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester9 July 2018
Fantastic company to work for!
Excellent chance of promotions and lots of training provided.
Lots of chance of over time If you need extra hours..
50% off food during shifts and also 20% off alcohol in any other wetherspoons
Pros
Excellent staff training
Cons
Can be long hours at times
non dedicated to employees
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland3 July 2018
worked with wetherspoons for 9 years and used to love my job. since a change of senior management has occurred I have resented working here. I do not appreciate a change of location being forced through. Its a company that says its all about the people.. but in reality its all about the money.
Pros
free food. holidays and pay
Cons
long hours. no thanks for anything from management. used as a number and non appreciated.
Fun depending on your pub
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
I’ve worked at 4 different spoons and the staff really make a difference. Good place to work if you want experience in bar work because the customers are often friendly and have patience, not very sociable hours as you can leave work at 4am sometimes.
Pros
Discounts and bonuses
Cons
Managers aren’t very helpful
Prepared to take anyone on and provide training.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk23 June 2018
Wetherspoons is typical of a large company. Corporate politics can sometimes get in the way of work and the pay could be increased. A good part time job while studying though.
Pros
50% off food.
Cons
Pay
Fun, good pay, fast paced environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport20 June 2018
Good environment to work in with good pay, very fast paced and your constantly moving about due to how long the shifts were I got to have a very small social life and also getting through security was a night mare had to come in for your shifts sometimes up to to hours early.
Pros
Weekly pay, good pay in general, friendly staff and management
Cons
Long working hours, day shifts u don't have a specific finishing time, minimal social life
The Good the bad and the ugly
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 June 2018
A stable job for someone willing to put the graft in, experience differs from pub to pub, sometimes you work for a pub manager who leads from the front and other times you work for an office bound manager who believes very much in the chain of command.

over all the company is very well ran, to what sometimes feels like ridiculous high standards with more red tape added each year, but that's probably why they are the undisputed overlords of the pub restaurant companies, its hard to keep up with all the policies and procedures.

very little scope to progress from kitchen manager with the recent removal of the regional catering manager role, unless you are willing to transfer to the front of house, expect to remain in this role for a long time.

expect to work very unsociable hours as a kitchen manager, working from late morning to early evening 5 times a week.
Pros
bonus scheme, salary
Cons
very unsociable hours, judged unfairly on results
Not a bad company
Cross Trained Team Member (Former Employee) –  Rhyl, Denbighshire16 June 2018
I worked here for six years and all in all not to bad it had its moments but all jobs do.

Made a lot of great friends who I still see.

Long hours not great breaks but many aspects made up for this!

Free shares each year ,I sold mine the week I left which luckily they were at a high price so didn’t do to bad on.

Bonuses if pub is doing well, free money is always good

Training side is good but you do need to ask a few times if you want to progress
Pros
Free shares bonuses
Cons
Long hours, some bad Rotas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.