J D Wetherspoon PLC

Featured review
J D Wetherspoon PLC selected this as a representative review
Supportive
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Romford26 December 2019
A typical day involves working with people who know what they're doing, and they're willing to answer any questions that you're unsure about. I've learned how to properly open and close the kitchen, and do loads of preparation for the day. The management team are so understanding and supportive. The team wants to help fulfill your potential, but they want you enjoy it as well. The hardest part is when the bar team don't always take the customer's food out of the lifts when we've completed the order, and we have more food to be sent down. The most enjoyable part is when our team is still able to have a laugh amongst ourselves when the rush hour is over.
It's ok and an job ideal in the short-medium term...
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Norfolk28 February 2020
I got this job because I am wanting to pursue my career in cleaning and JDW is an ideal company that offers that stepping stone in your career. You are taught reasonably well in cleaning and you are generally looked after in the job.
Pros
In-depth off and online training, good hourly rate, ideal stop gap for your next job, job benefits, weekly pay, paid hols and working for an established company.
Cons
Other cleaning long time served staff are set in their ways, close-knit community, other staff talking behind your back, frowned upon on having a good sense of humour and have some not-so-good days at work.
Good job
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ashford26 February 2020
Weather spoons is a brilliant company to work for lots of benefits and bonuses. The pub I worked in managers were friendly. Good atmosphere when working too.
Fun and stable, but at the end of the day it's bar work
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire26 February 2020
I've worked for three different pubs in the Wetherspoons company, both from busy Lloyds bars, to a pub that was never quiet, to a fairly mid range one. Most managers I've had have been very supportive, adaptable and helpful, but when you start you are thrown straight into the deep end. Every team I've worked with has been friendly, but sometimes it takes a while to fully integrate, and new starters will need to have the confidence to ask for help when required.
Pros
Free meals with shifts over 6 hours, good break structure, loads of advancement opportunity, discount when off shift, heaps of benefits for long terms employees
Cons
Shift work (random hours that change week to week, not allowing the formation of a routine), dealing with inebriated customers
Manager bullied me out.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Harlow22 February 2020
Worked for Wetherspoons for 2 and a half years. Great company, bad manager. Never wanted to leave to be honest but new pub manager came in and was incredibly brutal. 7 closes in a row. Had an incident where I accidentally damaged a toll screen went to explain the situation and got investigated putting me through so much stress I had no option but to leave me lose my job via disciplinary
Pros
Great benefits, bonus scheme, free shares, free food on shift.
Cons
If your manager doesn’t like you, they will manage you out like there’s no tomorrow.
Fun but hard work
Bar Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire22 February 2020
So busy, hard work, decent pay, depends on the pub you go to, some are great and some aren't, I was lucky to find a pub with people that became my family.
Pros
Social life, fun job, great professional ladder
Cons
Long hours, hard work
Stressful, can be fun if with a good team
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  London19 February 2020
Working at JD Wetherspoons can be fun if you have a good team and manager working with you. There can be some amazing team bonding however these positives are not mutually exclusive to working for the company. The hours are long and the pay is not enough for the amount of work you do
Relaxed yet fast paced at times
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria19 February 2020
Pay Is great for the type of work, staff are friendly, although management don't always communicate they are very friendly and approachable.

Hardest part of the job is sometimes there Is a lack of staff, this is unavoidable if nobody suitable applies.

Bonus and staff meals free and discount are a great perk.
Bad pub manager, good shift managers
Team Member, Wetherspoon's (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester18 February 2020
My kitchen and shift managers were good and always treated everyone fairly, supportive and did what they could for the team and pub.

Pub manager was the opposite, posted a weeks schedule the Sunday night before the week started and made the whole experience of working their awful. do to my poor experiences there I can not suggest working there.

Pay increases for promotions was very insignificant and not worth the extra work load or the length of time it took for people i saw offered promotion to actually get the promotion. Pay rates could have changed since I left.
Kitchen
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton11 February 2020
High passed stressful but overall good company to work for. Good benefits and bonuses I experienced good management and a good team to work with. Employs under 18s helping students
Good Job
Barmaid and Waitress (Former Employee) –  London10 February 2020
There’s nothing wrong with Wetherspoons. It’s a great place to work if you love to keep busy and don’t mind the long hours. They could pay a little better given the amount of money the chain makes at least pay a living wage. Staff are always friendly and spend a lot of time together...made some lifelong friends.
Good for your soul
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames8 February 2020
Working as a bartender has its limitations on salary due to the ease and nature of the job, but you quickly learn that there is more to a bar than just the drinks and food.
Pros
Good friends
Cons
Salary
Fun yet unsocialable for after work hours
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Derby5 February 2020
the job itself is very sociable and fun if you work with the right people, the hours are not socially friendly though. also they bombard you monthly with the same rehashed and repetitive training courses.
Pros
free lunches, meet new people
Cons
unsociable hours, repetitive training courses
Avoid at all costs
Bar/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Bexhill5 February 2020
If your a student looking for a job I would not recommend working at spoons. It will suck the joy from your life. Don’t do it it’s not worth it even thought it is decent pay I would rather work somewear else and get worse pay. This is may just also be personal to me, some people like it but just not for me.
Amazing place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire4 February 2020
Overall it is a fabulous place to work and all the managers are absolutely amazing with all staff. There is good work hours during the season and if you stick to it you are offered a permanent contract. Would recommend working at the velvet coaster definitely. Load of hours for those wanting to earn more
Pros
Staff food, 50% off on shift, 20% off outside of work hours, amazing management team, plenty of hours for those willing to commit to it
Cons
Seasonal
Good for part-time
TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Kent2 February 2020
Only good for part timers who only need an extra bit of income (eg. students/working around childcare). Hours are never guaranteed to support yourself on a full time 'contract', and they are able to use your holiday that you have earned to cover them when they have no hours, meaning that you risk having no holiday if they decide to overstaff, which happens especially in student towns. Part time are prioritised hours over full time as they have to work around their schedule, meaning that full timers will never have enough hours left over. I have been asking for my contract to be updated for over a year and a half, and still haven't had it updated to reflect that I am a full timer, however plenty of people have had their lowered.

Generally speaking, management have worked at Wetherspoons from the ages of 16/17/18, and have only been surrounded by people of that age even as they develop through their careers, and thus are not capable of acting like professional adults or even good managers, leading to a very miserable work environment. Definitely not suitable on-job measures to ensure employees are ok at work.
Great Benefits
Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Rhyl29 January 2020
Good place to work,firm but fare.All rules followed.Very trustworthy of Food Hygene
Heath & Safety regulations.Very helpful & hardworking staff team effort.
hard work but alot of benefits
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Worcester27 January 2020
can be long shifts, with limited breaks. free or discounted meals and drinks. good foh team.early starts and late finishes. all uniform provided.nearly all staff are long standing.
Staff friendly made some good friends manager a good bloke
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Barnsley22 January 2020
Worked as a cleaner for ten months enjoyed the job most of the time some days felt like there wasn't enough time to get all the work done plus extras that they ask of you.have to work a lot harder when someone's off sick.nice place to work downside is having to work every weekend and all the bank holidays.Rota changes made at short notice.good points are profit share and good rate of pay.
realy good employers
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Ripon, North Yorkshire13 January 2020
fantastic place to work great manger ,good rates of pay ,staff bonus,s friendly and helpful staff ,flexible hours ,good online training,work was fast paced with time restrictions but still enjoyable
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress and Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Wednesbury8 January 2020
Friendly franchise to work in, offers nice bonds with both staff and customers. Builds on daily skills, with fair pay and fair hours. Includes perks, such as discounts, bonuses, shares, and many more.
Pros
Free Food from selected menu if working longer than 5 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.