J D Wetherspoon PLC Pay & Benefits reviews

Fun, good pay, fast paced environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport20 June 2018
Good environment to work in with good pay, very fast paced and your constantly moving about due to how long the shifts were I got to have a very small social life and also getting through security was a night mare had to come in for your shifts sometimes up to to hours early.
Pros
Weekly pay, good pay in general, friendly staff and management
Cons
Long working hours, day shifts u don't have a specific finishing time, minimal social life
The Good the bad and the ugly
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 June 2018
A stable job for someone willing to put the graft in, experience differs from pub to pub, sometimes you work for a pub manager who leads from the front and other times you work for an office bound manager who believes very much in the chain of command.

over all the company is very well ran, to what sometimes feels like ridiculous high standards with more red tape added each year, but that's probably why they are the undisputed overlords of the pub restaurant companies, its hard to keep up with all the policies and procedures.

very little scope to progress from kitchen manager with the recent removal of the regional catering manager role, unless you are willing to transfer to the front of house, expect to remain in this role for a long time.

expect to work very unsociable hours as a kitchen manager, working from late morning to early evening 5 times a week.
Pros
bonus scheme, salary
Cons
very unsociable hours, judged unfairly on results
Not a bad company
Cross Trained Team Member (Former Employee) –  Rhyl, Denbighshire16 June 2018
I worked here for six years and all in all not to bad it had its moments but all jobs do.

Made a lot of great friends who I still see.

Long hours not great breaks but many aspects made up for this!

Free shares each year ,I sold mine the week I left which luckily they were at a high price so didn’t do to bad on.

Bonuses if pub is doing well, free money is always good

Training side is good but you do need to ask a few times if you want to progress
Pros
Free shares bonuses
Cons
Long hours, some bad Rotas
Great employers
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport County7 June 2018
JD Wetherspoon are great employers. The rate of pay is always above minimum wage, you can work as many or as little hours as you would like. You receive great bonuses. The managers vary from pub to pub but majority of them are great! Easy to take holidays and time off. I love working for them. Its better than other pub chains I have worked for.
Pros
50% off, bonuses, above minimum wage, good advancement
Cons
late hours, weekend work, event times
A good start
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 June 2018
-Good place to start if you are a student or recent graduate.
-Great team but terrible management who tend to mistreat newbies so have a tough skin and just focus on doing your best.
-Newbies tend to be saddled with all the jobs no one one wants to do and are at times given a task that requires more than one person and expected to finished in a very short time frame.
-Expect blame for events that you can't control so make sure to be as organised and time efficient as possible.
-Make sure all important commitments don't clash with work as one can be blamed for that even if it was unexpected.
-If you actually want to learn something then build good relations with your team mates because that is how you survive and keep your job.
Pros
Great Pay and Nice company benefits
Cons
the company changed alot over the years
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire22 May 2018
towards the end of my time with Wetherspoons I stopped enjoying woring for them. the company became very greedy and made bonuses impossible to achieve, this went everything they promised to new starters. hours got tight but they expected more and more off you.
fun place
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stalybridge21 May 2018
lots of friendly staff here at weatherspoons loads of fun with staff lots of events celebrated also cutomer service is really good always on the ball great food
Ideal workplace for students
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Southend, Essex20 May 2018
From working at this establishment, I have gained several skills as well as developing known skills.
Shifts pattern are flexible to suit workers needs as well as overtime.
Social benefits to working here.
Kitchen Manager
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset3 May 2018
JD Wetherspoon has one of the most widely recognised and appraised training systems for its management in the industry. I gained knowledge and skills that other companies haven't even touched upon and I will always value the time I spent there.

That being said, you get out what you put in and you have to be willing to work incredibly hard and prepared to do the higher roles you wish for before you actually achieve them in order to prove your ability. I don't think this is a bad thing as I think it shows tenacity and character but it's not for everyone.

I didn't have a very good work life balance once I reached the kitchen manager role, however that varies for different people and it also depends how available you make yourself. I felt very much on call 24/7 however being young, single and living a five minute walk from my place of work and picking up the phone every time it rang no matter what didn't do myself any favours.

It's a tough environment, and it's very competitive, but as a company to work for I would recommend it and I wouldn't say I would never consider going back, I've maintained positive professional relationships with a number of the senior management team in my area for that very reason.

There are a number of perks, recently since I left they've reduced the contracted hours and given the management a pay rise which is always well received, and the shares scheme is fantastic, I know people that have used their shares to contribute to a deposit on a house or buy a new car.
Pros
Free shares, free food for management, flexible hours
Cons
Poor work life balance
Fast paced environment
Work Placement Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett30 April 2018
It is a very good and supportive place to work. The staff are very helpful and train you to do the job to a high standard. It is well located and easy to get to using public transport.
Pros
Easy to travel to
Cons

Want to know more about J D Wetherspoon PLC?

Ask a question
All good
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Street27 April 2018
Great company to work for with great benefits and they look after their staff and their is amazing scope to progress with the company. A worthy employee for anyone looking to get into the hospitality industry.
Negative
Associate member (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside25 April 2018
Poor management, ageism culture, long hours sometimes without a break to meet the needs of customers rather than ensuring the staff have some food and a rest.

One good thing I will say is good bonuses can be earned often and if you want to progress then you can rather fast.
Pros
50% off food, family and friends discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of care towards staff from managemnt
Hours and pay
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham25 April 2018
Hours and pay at this job we’re disgraceful, it advertised £7.95 per hour but you only get minimum wage for your age so maybe it should specify this in the ad. Then when you start your hours start as a decent job almost 25 hours + but then they drop your hours because they obviously think the best people should be on shift all the time and don’t think the new starters should be trained properly to get more hours. There’s no full training so it’s basically pick it all up yourself and learn by yourself. Trust me don’t work behind the bar at a Wetherspoons.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay
High staff turnover
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Ruthin, Denbighshire18 April 2018
So many people leaving, awkward shifts and the management would never let you take the holidays your entitled to. I requested time off, was told I could have it and then was put on the rota anyway.
Pros
Slight discount
Cons
Long hours, under payed
Not a very satisfying job
Part-time kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Exeter30 March 2018
This job was messy, I smelled of food after every shift, I burned my fingers, the hygiene standards were not kept up by the management or senior staff which shocked me. The work pace is too fast for most people and there is a lot of pressure, meaning mistakes are easily made.
Not great benefits except discount on food, the pay was fairly low and the work I did was tedious, messy and fast. My colleagues were fairly critical of the company and it seemed like no one actually liked working there.

I left fairly quickly, only stayed a few months.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
long shifts, not good atmosphere
Great company
Kitchen Manager, Sedge Lynn (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 March 2018
Good place to learn and grow.

Each pub is managed individually so standards can vary, but they are all overseen by area managers and other head office staff, which keeps standards consistent.

If you're looking to get a job in the food and drink industry, there is no better place to work up and gain experience. The training is excellent and the opportunities to progress are there.

It's hard work and the pay isn't great but it's better than most pub jobs. Good benefits package with discounts and free shares after a while working there.

Work/life balance is poor, but it is an area they are working on improving. The culture is to work staff incredibly hard and some people might be burned out by it.
Pros
Discounts, career development
Cons
hard work & poor work/life balance
Good Bonus Scheme, Very Repetitive
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 March 2018
Good Bonus Scheme, Very Repetitive, easy to progress but very restrained with budgets and the job is very much the same thing day in and day out with a high turnover of staff
Pros
Bonis Scheme, Do Own Rotas
Cons
Staff Turnover
good
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny, Blaenau Gwent4 March 2018
good place to work. lots of friendly staff. good to see you hard work pay off when you see how clean the pub is. management are good. pay is good. hours could be longer.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not enough hours
Fun environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Harrow3 March 2018
Good place to gain experience. Allows good progression if good at the role. Good benefits including shares and free mood also discounts for all staff.
Generally good, fun team butolder staff a bit 'stuffy'
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 February 2018
Enjoyed the job and met some really nice folk. Minimum contract was 8 hours - I was working crazy 30+ some weeks, with every weekend working. Worked New Year Eve and Day. Worked on the late shift, supposedly finishing at 11 or 12. Most of the time I'd get home just before 3am. Am full time student who cannot afford to work so many hours and so many crazy closing shifts. Management need to recognise this in their part time staff, and try to be more accomodating.
Pros
Pretty nice team, ok food, decent pay
Cons
extra long shifts, too many late shifts, work/life balance is non existent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.