J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Kitchen Team Member

hot, busy, noisy and very hard work
kitchen associate (Current Employee) –  Bideford, Devon5 September 2018
not a good place to work. difficult getting hours each week. high turn over of staff. poorly managed. have to be able to remain on your feet for hours and hours on end.
work review
Bar and Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire21 August 2018
this is an ideal place to work if youre looking for a first time job or even something on the side. just be punctual and have a decent work ethic and it will be the perfect job for anybody.
fun place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bicester16 August 2018
okay place to work. management all over the place.
learned how to cook a breakfasts.
best part of the job was having a laugh with the staff and getting along with everyone.
Kitchen Work
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 August 2018
The daily kitchen tasks are fairly simple. You'll be based at a station but it's not uncommon to be working on multiple locations at the same time. Job security is extremely good as more staff is always needed and the perks of working there are fairly good. However, the hours are very long it's not uncommon to work 15 hour days for an entire week. Food and drink is not free but there is a discount
Pros
Good Job Security, Advancement Options, Good Perks
Cons
Long Hours, No Bank Holidays, Work Weekends
hard working place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Worksop7 August 2018
it was hard to communicate with other staff.
never used to finish on time
they let me be in kitchen on my own even though you wasn't supposed to because of the health and safety regulations in place.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
The british frrms are to stuck up their own values
Kitchen Staff Member (Former Employee) –  royal victoria pavilion3 August 2018
I had a interview at that place and they are discriminating under equality and diversity because of my age, and i dont drive why should i need to drive what am i a millionaire. they rather give the job to a young pretty girl so they can attract perverts and alcoholics to up sell their products for profits.

Questions, like 'where do i see myself in two years!!!
Pros
Job
Cons
Slave Labour
it sucks!
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 July 2018
saying "can do", should be replaced "don't care". I learned a lot and co-workers taught me how to cook, but the more you work and start doing everything, less they will care for you and they end up playing their phones!

this company has no promises, only if I was lucky I could get a break even in 12h shifts, bonus potentials are non exsistent, only managers get the credit and bonus and you are there to sniff their arsse and listen to them.

close downs are horrible. its hard to work with people who want to finish early and go to home asap and managers are so picky about everything that they will take lenses to look how dirty the stuff is.

work/life balance? forget about it. on days where i'm not suppose to work, I always getting calls and be asked to work as somebody is sick or can't work that day.
Pros
nice discounts and staff
Cons
no breaks, bonus are bs, hard to work with ppl who are lazy
If you fancy having a social life, stay clear from this job
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire18 July 2018
I've been loyal to this job for 4 years and i'll be honest, it is the least rewarding job you can think of, The harder you work for the company, the least they seem to appreciate you and your well-being. However if you are just looking to do your job and the zip back home this could be the job for you as it is very easy to earn money. The hours are incredibly unsociable and its incredibly hard to book the actual days off you want.
Fun, atmospheric workplace
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Swindon11 July 2018
No matter what you’re doing, you’re not alone. Wetherspoon pubs are wetherspoon families, they become your friendship circle and you’ll feel like you’re working just as much as you’ll feel like you’re hanging out with your friends.
Unfortunately, the pay isn’t great if you’re not in management but this shouldn’t deter you from working there to build team-work experience as well as a vast selection of other skills you can build up to do with cooking, handling customers, building your own self-confidence. It’s great as a job and you may find yourself reluctant to leave.
People are friendly and supportive and if you are ever stuck you will receive help because everyone is working towards the same goal and the job is simple once you get used to it.
Pros
Discounts, atmosphere, skills, confidence building, adaptability
Cons
Pay
Positive and fun workplace
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Southampton29 June 2018
Nice place to work with a lot of tasks to complete during the day. At first, I was mostly doing the washing-up but then I was able to cook and prepare food which was lovely.
Typical chain pub
kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  barrow-in-furness28 June 2018
a typical day included opening the kitchen, probably doing some of the previous nights close down. prep for the day.. and begin cooking and preparing breakfasts.
Staff turnover was high as it was more a case of hire anyone that wanted a job, regardless of whether they were right for the job..
Promotion wasnt based upon ability.
culture in the kitchen was 'let someone else deal with it' meaining little actually got done without supervision. best part of the job was the people..
Pros
Good crack
Cons
everything else
Terrible company!
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Westhoughton22 June 2018
Nice place to socialise. Horrid place to work overall. Their expectations of you are crazy and no matter how hard you work its never good enough. I've watched several newcomers join the team and been let go or quit before their probationary periods are up, mostly due cos the poor sods had no real guidence and got ridiculed for it by management. Until something better comes along i'm still slumming it here!
Pros
Weekly pay/discount on food and drink
Cons
Everything else
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade17 June 2018
Wetherspoons have helped me develop my cheffing and customer service skills greatly, not only this but, they trained me up in stock management to ensure that I was capable to managing the heavy duty deliveries without a hitch. Overall, despite some flaws, I was really happy with my time spent here.
productive and fun working environment
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 June 2018
i thoroughly enjoyed my time here. During my time i was able to gain various skills, develop my ability to work in a team and under time constraints, as well as independent work.
Pros
positive working environment
I think sometimes a job is just a job
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Cannock, Staffordshire30 May 2018
Dependant on circumstances this could be a good role for some one looking for some part time work. However If you are ambitious then Its a place that can get you sucked in.
Crew can be like a family but management can be eh
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven16 May 2018
Love love love working for spoons but the managers don't even bother to get on with staff. Pay isn't worth putting up with them to be honest...

A good load of experience though.
Horrible place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire6 May 2018
Awful.place to work, the management seem to think they're above doing actual work. The most productive staff get treated the worst, you never leave on time and there are very obvious favourites especially amongst management!
The shifts vary depending on whether or not your face fits, you are expected to give up any social time and rarely get support when you are on shift as managers going for a cigarette break is a priority!
You never get a proper break and get villified if you ask for one.
And some of the excuses the lazy staff have for throwing shifts are beyond a joke! It used to be a nice place to work but I would now tell anyone applying here, for you own sanity, DO NOT!
Cons
Easy to get to but long hours
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Ayrshire largs4 May 2018
I've work here before i enjoyed my time with people but hated the management so couldn't stay longer and very long hour with only 45 minutes for a brake
Pros
Very good job to make friends
Cons
Worse job ever management is a disgrace and staff think they know it all
Mostly Friendly
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear20 April 2018
Typical day was to prepare food, cook food and wash dishes. Didn't learn much. Some of the Management were ok, but one was a bit of a bully. The workplace culture, was to just work as hard as possible. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the cleaning. There wasn't much that was enjoyable working there, apart from a couple of staff members that were lovely
Pros
Free Cups Of Coffee
Cons
Washing dishes for 5 hours
Good camaraderie
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Tavistock, Devon18 April 2018
Tiring but a real sense of team spirit. Long hours can be difficult but with the right team and a good sense of cohesion you can get a real sense of achievement from this

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location