J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Kitchen Team Member

productive and fun working environment
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 June 2018
i thoroughly enjoyed my time here. During my time i was able to gain various skills, develop my ability to work in a team and under time constraints, as well as independent work.
Pros
positive working environment
I think sometimes a job is just a job
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Cannock, Staffordshire30 May 2018
Dependant on circumstances this could be a good role for some one looking for some part time work. However If you are ambitious then Its a place that can get you sucked in.
Crew can be like a family but management can be eh
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven16 May 2018
Love love love working for spoons but the managers don't even bother to get on with staff. Pay isn't worth putting up with them to be honest...

A good load of experience though.
Horrible place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire6 May 2018
Awful.place to work, the management seem to think they're above doing actual work. The most productive staff get treated the worst, you never leave on time and there are very obvious favourites especially amongst management!
The shifts vary depending on whether or not your face fits, you are expected to give up any social time and rarely get support when you are on shift as managers going for a cigarette break is a priority!
You never get a proper break and get villified if you ask for one.
And some of the excuses the lazy staff have for throwing shifts are beyond a joke! It used to be a nice place to work but I would now tell anyone applying here, for you own sanity, DO NOT!
Mostly Friendly
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear20 April 2018
Typical day was to prepare food, cook food and wash dishes. Didn't learn much. Some of the Management were ok, but one was a bit of a bully. The workplace culture, was to just work as hard as possible. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the cleaning. There wasn't much that was enjoyable working there, apart from a couple of staff members that were lovely
Pros
Free Cups Of Coffee
Cons
Washing dishes for 5 hours
Good camaraderie
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Tavistock, Devon18 April 2018
Tiring but a real sense of team spirit. Long hours can be difficult but with the right team and a good sense of cohesion you can get a real sense of achievement from this
Okay
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Huyton Quarry2 April 2018
It was okay I suppose.. I was never given the transfer I was promised when I left fo University so bad taste left i my mouth. The kitchen manager has since been fired but I still would never work for Spoons again.
Not a very satisfying job
Part-time kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Exeter30 March 2018
This job was messy, I smelled of food after every shift, I burned my fingers, the hygiene standards were not kept up by the management or senior staff which shocked me. The work pace is too fast for most people and there is a lot of pressure, meaning mistakes are easily made.
Not great benefits except discount on food, the pay was fairly low and the work I did was tedious, messy and fast. My colleagues were fairly critical of the company and it seemed like no one actually liked working there.

I left fairly quickly, only stayed a few months.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
long shifts, not good atmosphere
easy work difficult to manage
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Cardiff17 March 2018
mostly joyful environment with little time for training new staff inside a busy establishment , most new employed are ranged from college and university student so only available part time making difficult to manage there training.
Pros
50% off food and non alcohol drinks
Cons
depending on service working hours range 8 - 12+
Generally good, fun team butolder staff a bit 'stuffy'
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 February 2018
Enjoyed the job and met some really nice folk. Minimum contract was 8 hours - I was working crazy 30+ some weeks, with every weekend working. Worked New Year Eve and Day. Worked on the late shift, supposedly finishing at 11 or 12. Most of the time I'd get home just before 3am. Am full time student who cannot afford to work so many hours and so many crazy closing shifts. Management need to recognise this in their part time staff, and try to be more accomodating.
Pros
Pretty nice team, ok food, decent pay
Cons
extra long shifts, too many late shifts, work/life balance is non existent
Atmosphere in the workplace
kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny, Blaenau Gwent26 February 2018
I enjoyed working in the kitchen at Wetherspoons, no matter if the day was busy or quiet the kitchen team on the whole were a great group of people and we all got along well and did our jobs to the best of our abilities. I learned many useful skills such unpacking deliveries, doing defrost, prepping food and more. The management was decent if not perfect, sometimes communication was not used when it should've been, sometimes people laid responsibilities onto others, but on the whole it was kept to a decent standard. The hardest part of the job was probably getting up for the early mornings, or when it was a busy night and you came into a messy kitchen with no prep done for you. The most enjoyable part for me was working and interacting with my fellow employee's who were all lovely people.
Pros
Break's are always tried to be given, easy to work your way up, great team, good in-company incentives
Cons
Some people relying on others, long hours
A mixed bag
Part-time Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 February 2018
The hours are long and hard, there is almost no time to take a breather. Wetherspoons tend to be underemployed (the turnover rate is massive), so the workload is not balanced out. At least the staff are great. I stayed in this job as long as I have, because some staff were really supportive and helpful.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long hours, almost no benefits, underpaid for workload
Day in the life
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire25 January 2018
Working conditions vary from day to day and are not always set and are very variable in the number of staff and the amount of equipment that is available due to poor head office management preventing upgrades to the work environment. The company is too monetary driven and as a result would put the staff under increased pressure in order to cut hours and save money
Steady and interesting
Bar and Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent22 January 2018
A good company to work for, if you have no obvious structure to your social life. Be prepared to become an social alcoholic. You will spend too much of your own time here. It becomes a place to live. You pretty much pay rent in the way of losing parts of your soul. This place will crush your dreams as it keeps a steady stranglehold on your finances by giving you JUST enough hours and pay to afford to live, but not enough to save and leave.
Pros
50 percent discount during shifts
Cons
No free food during shifts
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh15 January 2018
Always learning something new and finding ways to improve how I work. Great company benefits and lots of support from management. Feel like I am an important member of the team and my work is valued! Great place to work
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
12 hour contract but actually working 40+
Ok as a stop gap
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester12 January 2018
Did 10 weeks
Rotas changes daily staff phoned in sick late
Slackers got away with doing less work
Moved on to bigger and better things no regrets in leaving
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor wages s
Spoons
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil8 January 2018
Over all I enjoyed working for the company. Everyday was different but on times the same, where you would start the day by prepping the things that you need for throughout the day, and for the night shift then you would prep the things that you would need for the next day.
Pros
free squash
okai
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Newquay7 January 2018
not the best company mess you about and not very considerate. wouldnt personally recommend as they arent very understanding and they are very pushy and inconsiderate
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
the company
Proffesional company
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth4 January 2018
Great company to work for on a part time basis while still studying, learning different skills each day, meeting all kinds of people.
Was made to feel welcome by the management on every shift
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Late mid-night finishes
Ok
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Derby3 January 2018
It is a very good place to work, there are excellent benefits, bonuses, discounts they have a provide a good salary after completing training it rises up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location