J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Kitchen Team Member

Productive and enjoyable place to work
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh15 January 2018
Always learning something new and finding ways to improve how I work. Great company benefits and lots of support from management. Feel like I am an important member of the team and my work is valued! Great place to work
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
12 hour contract but actually working 40+
Ok as a stop gap
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester12 January 2018
Did 10 weeks
Rotas changes daily staff phoned in sick late
Slackers got away with doing less work
Moved on to bigger and better things no regrets in leaving
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor wages s
Spoons
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil8 January 2018
Over all I enjoyed working for the company. Everyday was different but on times the same, where you would start the day by prepping the things that you need for throughout the day, and for the night shift then you would prep the things that you would need for the next day.
Pros
free squash
Proffesional company
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth4 January 2018
Great company to work for on a part time basis while still studying, learning different skills each day, meeting all kinds of people.
Was made to feel welcome by the management on every shift
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Late mid-night finishes
Ok
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Derby3 January 2018
It is a very good place to work, there are excellent benefits, bonuses, discounts they have a provide a good salary after completing training it rises up
worse compnay
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire7 December 2017
the worse company i have ever worked for. treated like rubbish by managers long hours never finish shifts on time expect you to work at their demand regardless if you are a single parent then expect to have hours reduced if you are needed at home
Cons
long hours min wage undervalued
It was not fun workplace
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Islington, Greater London1 November 2017
5.30am to start with cleaning
7am opening
Busy and busy
I learned commercial kitchen culture
Management was worst
No one giving training you have to learn everything yourself
The hardest part of the job the behaviour of the management and lifting
Good Hours, Friendly staff
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire20 October 2017
Overall, a positive experience working at wetherspoons. I learned a lot, especially when on busy shifts as it was a non stop situation working in the kitchen and could get stressful at times, which I learned to cope with well.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
More hours given than contracted
Fast and Efficient
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey11 October 2017
The team are fantastic and help you to have a smile even when the work load is high. I have learnt how to work quickly, efficiently and to a high standard. The management are friendly and always help with any queries. The work place culture is great, because we are all in the same high pressure situation there is a real sense of unity in the team. the hardest part of the job is closing the kitchen. This involves a lot of strenuous cleaning, and can sometimes take until 3am. The most enjoyable part of the job working with friends.
Pros
In Chain Discounts
Cons
Unsociable Hours
If you want shunned then work for the standing order
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Standing order8 October 2017
As a new start expect some sort of easy in welcoming faces well how wrong was I, iv never worked in a kitchen so full of people who just act like your not there your just a pair of hands really 4 long shifts I done everyday I encountered rudeness and really felt uncomfortable around certain kitchen associates
It's a hard graft but that's good it passes the day the environment is quite intense I'm an experienced kitchen hand so that was fine it's just the way you get looked down apon and talked to like your a stupid child deffinately if the associate has worked every section they think there a God literally
The job in its self hard work, the staff however are by far the hardest work iv ever encountered this is the normal every day staff who strive to be team leaders think the responsibility has went to there head
Wouldn't recommend at all
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
The respect for indevidual is terrible
productive and challenging
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Merseyside5 October 2017
Working at JD Wetherspoon allows you to learn a great deal of skills which are transferable to any job, including, Customer service, cash handling, working as part of a team. The most enjoyable part of working for JD Wetherspoon is learning something new everyday and working as part of a team in a very busy pub which is challenging but fun.
Days
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Shotton25 September 2017
Working at Wetherspoons can be a very challenging job, however the other members of staff are what make it work while. Working as a team to pull through and reach targets.
Pros
Staff are team players
Cons
Long days
Great place for students and to meet new people.
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian21 September 2017
Working with spoons gave me more confidence in myself as a person with the new people I was meeting, the job was not particularly hard, especially if you work as a team. However the managers at my pub were not always great(about 2 or 3 of them done their job correctly).
I left due to a manager treating staff awfully and never dealing with situations correctly and also messing about with my availability.
Pros
discounts, making good relationships
Cons
long hours, really early mornings, managers not doing their job correctly
Intense Work Environment
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks18 September 2017
A difficult but rewarding job that took time to grow into. Learning curve can be difficult depending on experience, but great team work and team spirit. Work life can become heated and intense during busy hours though.
Twrrible management
Kitchen associate (Current Employee) –  Bath17 September 2017
Awful place to work. Ridiculous hours a lot of stress and no time to actually enjoy life.
Management is ridiculously strict in my current pub although my previous pub was very lenient management wise. If your in a relationship it also puts a strain on that and working 5am-3pm 5 days a week is just ridiculous not to mention if closing you won't be leaving g till 3/4 in the morning.
Really not worth it tbh.
Pros
Discount on food, friendly staff
Cons
Awful management, ridiculous hours, not great pay
Awful staff
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough15 September 2017
My particular pub has incredibly bad shift leaders in kitchen, constant bullying and verbal abuse. One particular shift lead abused two people into walking out in a month. Managers have their favourites so all they get is "a talking to".

High pressure environment made worse with long shifts (10-11 hours is standard). Often only 1 or 2 people working at a time on busy periods, or 4 people in when it's dead.
Pros
Decent pay, paid weekly.
Cons
Abusive shift leaders, bullying, long hours.
Great environment to build your experience in catering
Kitchen Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire27 August 2017
You are given a decent amount of duties to carry out in the kitchen. Making recordings for daily temperature checks, wastage, and items approaching their sell by date, as well as given tasks to fetch things from the pantry/walk-in fridge and freezers, do salads and other prep in advance. During closings, there are many tasks to complete, such as deep cleaning and disassembling some equipment for washing.

Staff were very friendly and offer various tips during cooking and working with the team. Communication is vital in a kitchen that can get very hectic around lunch time.

The only matter which was rather irritating was the unreliable schedule. The online version NEVER changes, which is annoying, since there are instances where you need to check it almost everyday on the staff wall, to make sure things haven't switched around. If you've come in to work to find out your shift has been changed till later or your shift isn't on that day at all, it sucks to be you and you've just wasted your time.
Pros
Opportunities to move up in the work-place, plenty of training, great for people starting out in catering
Cons
Unreliable online rota schedule
The worst place i have ever worked!
Kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  Faversham, Kent19 August 2017
Awful atmosphere. Like working in a playground. If you domt "fit in" management team will bully you out. Managers clearly favouring other staff members over everyone else. Complaints never adressed or sorted out by mamagement - just swept under the rug amd ignored. Constantly blamed for other peoples mistakes. Treated unfairly with hours. Treated infairly with personal life and comstant inappropriate behaviour. Area manager fully aware of situation amd did nothing because of obvious favouritism with pub manager. Absolutely rediculous way to run or manage a workplace. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!
Pros
Got to leave after the shift
Cons
Good mates but not environment.
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare18 August 2017
Good place to work with mates and good colleagues and they are alright with laughs and pay not great but at the end of the day it's worth it if you can survive on bare min wage.
Pros
cheap meals
Not for me
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire8 August 2017
Not a brilliant place to work, but that's just my opinion. Very disorganised, erratic working hours and long shifts. I'm sure some people love that kind of work but it just wasn't for me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8