J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Kitchen Team Member

No Stress
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Airport5 November 2018
typical work day was fulfilling customer orders.
I felt the environment was very hostile and I didnt feel welcome at all, I did report it but not a lot was done although the managers were really nice about the whole thing and supportive.
Didnt enjoy the job mainly because of the people.
Pros
Discounts and room to progress
Cons
Very busy 24/7
Fun
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Blackpool3 November 2018
I found that a typical day at Wetherspoons was quite boring, the more that is going on in the kitchen the more fun it is. the most fun part of the job is the high paced speed of the kitchen, the hardest part of my job at Wetherspoons was trying to find something to do in the long quiet shifts.
Pros
discount
Cons
not a lot of hours
Terrible place to work
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bathgate1 November 2018
Staff treated poorly, management do not know what they are doing, my experience there was terrible. The wage is very low and definitely is not worth it for the pay.
Enjoyed my time at the Green Dragon. Great team. Very supportive manager.
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Leek, Staffordshire17 October 2018
Love the training. Online. Can complete and learn at your own pace. Very high standards in cleaning, customer service, etc. Managers are approachable and happy to work alongside you in the kitchen. Vickie always led by example and made it fun. I can honestly say I have nothing but good things to say about working here.
Pros
Great Discounts. Brilliant manager. High standards.
Cons
None.
Horrible
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon12 October 2018
Unsociable and constantly changing hours with no set days off, and you are made to feel guilty if you say no when you are asked to cover or swap shifts. They expect you to put Wetherspoons first, and have no life outside of work; not that you could afford to have one anyway.
They promise the world in advancement to management and higher wages but do not keep to it; instead, after your training, they try and get you to do the management jobs on associate pay, and call it "further training".
ALWAYS understaffed, and even legally entitled breaks are rare to get, let alone the longer ones the company promises, and when you do take your legally entitled break, you are made to feel guilty for leaving someone on their own, and are often called back in early and therefore do not get your full break.
This *could* be a very good company to work for, but the management do not care about the staff. Every member is overworked, underpaid, fatigued, and many are on antidepressants just to get through the long, busy, and extremely stressful days.
Pros
20% discount on all Wetherspoons products.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, always understaffed (purposefully), rarely get breaks, "clique" behaviour among certain staff. And many more.
Hated it
Bar and kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Acocks Green, Shirley12 October 2018
Quite often managers would swap/cancel shifts last minute, many times I have been abused or felt uncomfortable by a certain customer in regards to explicit sexual comment and managers didn't care.

As soon as you take a break to have a quick sip of a drink or spoke to a colleague you would have got moaned at to stop slacking and do work.
Pros
discount
Cons
to many to list
Awful envoronment
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff3 October 2018
i cannot speak for other Wetherspoons, but my experience has been very distasteful. It has actively made me seek employment away from kitchen work within the service industry
hot, busy, noisy and very hard work
kitchen associate (Current Employee) –  Bideford, Devon5 September 2018
not a good place to work. difficult getting hours each week. high turn over of staff. poorly managed. have to be able to remain on your feet for hours and hours on end.
Overall Good
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Somerset31 August 2018
It was a good start as a first job however it is very stressful in some kitchen enviroments however if you have a good team you will work through most issues.
work review
Bar and Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire21 August 2018
this is an ideal place to work if youre looking for a first time job or even something on the side. just be punctual and have a decent work ethic and it will be the perfect job for anybody.
fun place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bicester16 August 2018
okay place to work. management all over the place.
learned how to cook a breakfasts.
best part of the job was having a laugh with the staff and getting along with everyone.
Kitchen Work
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 August 2018
The daily kitchen tasks are fairly simple. You'll be based at a station but it's not uncommon to be working on multiple locations at the same time. Job security is extremely good as more staff is always needed and the perks of working there are fairly good. However, the hours are very long it's not uncommon to work 15 hour days for an entire week. Food and drink is not free but there is a discount
Pros
Good Job Security, Advancement Options, Good Perks
Cons
Long Hours, No Bank Holidays, Work Weekends
hard working place
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Worksop7 August 2018
it was hard to communicate with other staff.
never used to finish on time
they let me be in kitchen on my own even though you wasn't supposed to because of the health and safety regulations in place.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
The british frrms are to stuck up their own values
Kitchen Staff Member (Former Employee) –  royal victoria pavilion3 August 2018
I had a interview at that place and they are discriminating under equality and diversity because of my age, and i dont drive why should i need to drive what am i a millionaire. they rather give the job to a young pretty girl so they can attract perverts and alcoholics to up sell their products for profits.

Questions, like 'where do i see myself in two years!!!
Pros
Job
Cons
Slave Labour
it sucks!
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 July 2018
saying "can do", should be replaced "don't care". I learned a lot and co-workers taught me how to cook, but the more you work and start doing everything, less they will care for you and they end up playing their phones!

this company has no promises, only if I was lucky I could get a break even in 12h shifts, bonus potentials are non exsistent, only managers get the credit and bonus and you are there to sniff their arsse and listen to them.

close downs are horrible. its hard to work with people who want to finish early and go to home asap and managers are so picky about everything that they will take lenses to look how dirty the stuff is.

work/life balance? forget about it. on days where i'm not suppose to work, I always getting calls and be asked to work as somebody is sick or can't work that day.
Pros
nice discounts and staff
Cons
no breaks, bonus are bs, hard to work with ppl who are lazy
If you fancy having a social life, stay clear from this job
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire18 July 2018
I've been loyal to this job for 4 years and i'll be honest, it is the least rewarding job you can think of, The harder you work for the company, the least they seem to appreciate you and your well-being. However if you are just looking to do your job and the zip back home this could be the job for you as it is very easy to earn money. The hours are incredibly unsociable and its incredibly hard to book the actual days off you want.
Fun, atmospheric workplace
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Swindon11 July 2018
No matter what you’re doing, you’re not alone. Wetherspoon pubs are wetherspoon families, they become your friendship circle and you’ll feel like you’re working just as much as you’ll feel like you’re hanging out with your friends.
Unfortunately, the pay isn’t great if you’re not in management but this shouldn’t deter you from working there to build team-work experience as well as a vast selection of other skills you can build up to do with cooking, handling customers, building your own self-confidence. It’s great as a job and you may find yourself reluctant to leave.
People are friendly and supportive and if you are ever stuck you will receive help because everyone is working towards the same goal and the job is simple once you get used to it.
Pros
Discounts, atmosphere, skills, confidence building, adaptability
Cons
Pay
Positive and fun workplace
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Southampton29 June 2018
Nice place to work with a lot of tasks to complete during the day. At first, I was mostly doing the washing-up but then I was able to cook and prepare food which was lovely.
Typical chain pub
kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  barrow-in-furness28 June 2018
a typical day included opening the kitchen, probably doing some of the previous nights close down. prep for the day.. and begin cooking and preparing breakfasts.
Staff turnover was high as it was more a case of hire anyone that wanted a job, regardless of whether they were right for the job..
Promotion wasnt based upon ability.
culture in the kitchen was 'let someone else deal with it' meaining little actually got done without supervision. best part of the job was the people..
Pros
Good crack
Cons
everything else
Terrible company!
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Westhoughton22 June 2018
Nice place to socialise. Horrid place to work overall. Their expectations of you are crazy and no matter how hard you work its never good enough. I've watched several newcomers join the team and been let go or quit before their probationary periods are up, mostly due cos the poor sods had no real guidence and got ridiculed for it by management. Until something better comes along i'm still slumming it here!
Pros
Weekly pay/discount on food and drink
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location