J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Bar Staff

High staff turnover
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Ruthin, Denbighshire18 April 2018
So many people leaving, awkward shifts and the management would never let you take the holidays your entitled to. I requested time off, was told I could have it and then was put on the rota anyway.
Pros
Slight discount
Cons
Long hours, under payed
Bad reputation and should be banned from hiring/advertising
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London16 April 2018
Employer doesn't keep staff long enough to prove a successful staff turnover and has a bad reputation for hiring unprofessional staff. Management JD Wetherspoons pubs are to be questioned for many mistakes as many managers appear intimidating and very hot headed, especially Hounslow's branch, The Moon Under Water.
Pros
Discount on food as an employee
Cons
Questionable management
Shockingly bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 April 2018
Worst place I’ve ever worked. Got no training after I specified I had no bar experience and the staff were bigger perverts than the customers. Got propositioned at least 5 times a shift by the staff (which the pub manager knew about but continued to do nothing) and the customers were a nightmare. Not worth the stress for such little pay.
Bad job for work life balance
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire5 April 2018
Managers look down on staff. Expected to work every weekend if new, favouritism to certain individuals who get every weekend off. make you work short shifts but 6 days a week.
Pros
50% off Lunches
Cons
Management, Hours, Holiday
Poor place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire17 March 2018
The managers horrible don't care don't help you to learn nothing one says one thing other one says other thing so never know if doing right or wrong got let go for stupid reason wasn't really right never work for wetherspoon again!
the staff are hep and understand
Bar staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate9 February 2018
it good place to work with and have a good laugh the staff are ready help and work at a team together it vey hard job to work with sometime and not all time
Pros
it very hard work job
Cons
i do not like doing some body job on top my job
okay workplace
floor/bar staff (Former Employee) –  London27 January 2018
An average pub working environment, senior staff were sometimes inappropriate, e.g. favouritism, gossiping etc but nothing out of the ordinary for majority of work environments.
Productive and fun workplace
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London25 January 2018
If speaking specifically about Wetherespoons 'The Gateclock' that was the most fun job I have ever had. The team stays together, works together and stay friends after work. If there is ever any problem during work the team always aims to help. Working with the whole team and having such a great rapport we aimed for our goals to improve the pub and achieved very well. Best job I have had so far even if I've worked as a broker before. Excellent team, with such a team there is always happiness!
Pros
Team, teamwork, enojying work
Cons
Copper tables
potentially a good job
BAR AND FLOOR STAFF (Former Employee) –  Oakham, Rutland18 January 2018
Between the time i worked in this organisation I began to realise the people who had worked there for a while managed to slack off a lot more. I had never worked in a larger pub/restaurant before and got left on my own to figure things out by myself, even when one of the other employees was meant to be showing me how to do things.

there were some customers that were incredibly rude, so if you don't have think skin be careful. there were some issues that needed to be addressed, as when i started i had booked off the time for my holiday, this was approved however when i returned i was not put on the rota for the week there fore didn't get the hours per week i was contracted. this was at the point i quit.

the average day is busy weekends more than weekdays and the Saturday night shift is horrendous especially when there only 3 members of staff

the most enjoyable part is when the customers say thank you.
i did learn how to pour pints properly and how to make up cocktails which is a good skill to have if you are applying for the bar jobs.
Pros
flexible breaks
Cons
lack of training and staff
Not a bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester15 January 2018
Loved working at weatherspoons until we got a new manger loved the challenges they set for us ,, the team in the kitchen worked well together and we got our work done with no stress
Pros
Working with team
Cons
Manger
Deceitful
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hemsworth, West Yorkshire8 January 2018
Very deceitful as I applied for a job in November time and wasn’t told that it was only for Christmas then just got took off the rotas without notification has to contact several member of management over 7 days to find out why was told it was temp then and also that I interacted with customers too much

Management and other member of staff weren’t too nice either not the best bar job to have
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything else
Overworked, power tripping staff, unpaid labour
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom27 December 2017
Minimal/no training given. They expect you to know everything then get hostile when you don't. Puts pressure on coworkers and uncomfortable and unfair for customers.

No clear rules/policies. Get in trouble/disciplined for things others are doing and are unaware is not allowed.

Unpaid labour after shifts, pressured and expected to clock out at a certain time after a night shift even when understaffed and doing 2/3 peoples jobs so they don't have to keep paying you.

Either extremely understaffed or overstaffed and sent home early.

Some managers love the power trip and try and get you in trouble for absolutely everything. Patronising and unfair.

Breaks are not always given, even on 8+ hour shifts.

Rotas are unpredictable, no social life due to all over the place hours.

Not paid enough to deal with the violence, drunk harassment and disgusting cleaning tasks we're unqualified to do.
Pros
good first job, they hire anyone. but not forever.
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk22 December 2017
Management is awful, picks favourites and makes it clear who they are, only thinks about themselves and will talk low about you behind your back to other staff members.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager
Fun workplace
Bar team leader (Former Employee) –  Durham City Centre, Durham17 November 2017
Great staff with easy to get to location. Great company benefits and an amazing team of staff. 50% off food on shift and 33% off food and drink at all JD Wetherspoon venues
Random hours, minimum wage and no recognition for good work
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Weymouth18 October 2017
Your hours are given to you on the weekend and so no time to plan around them in advance. The hours can be long and we are often understaffed. During the summer going up to 8 hours without a break was not uncommon. The management do not communicate well and mess up the rotas all the time. Only benefit is that the staff are generally a good laugh and it can be quite fun at times with the right people
7 years.
BAR TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 October 2017
Overall a good company to work for, obviously being such a big company there are good and bad within but I've enjoyed working and progressing within the company.
Pros
50% off food while on shift, 20% off food and drink when not.
good overall work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk18 October 2017
I loved working at wetherspoons I started off at the queen of iceni and then moved to the The Bell hotel as I got more hours there I loved working with all the people and I made a lot of friends with customers , also the staff discopunt was really good so you could easily get food cheap also drinks where the same to .
Rude and abrupt
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire13 October 2017
Not a nice place - customers complain about the management all the time and other staff members were rude and abruptive with only care for number 1

management only take care of their favourites and they make it obvious who they are

the best part of the day is going home and the worst is dealing with the colleagues

a typical day at working for this place could vary on what event was running
Appalling
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Oldham3 October 2017
By far the worst place I have ever worked, every single manager I'e had has just been ridiculous and the pay is far too little for what we have to do.
Thrown in at the deep end
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Wales2 October 2017
Promised by management that full training would be given on working the bar at the interview .,, on my first day put behind the bar with one young lady , I had approx 2 mins training on the till where there are hundreds of different selections , I was a qualified pilot and I can assure you that it is harder to figure out the till than work out the clocks etc in a cockpit . I started at 8 am and by 8.05 I was qualified to work the till , know where all the different glasses was kept and for what drink etc how to make all the different coffees , I was also taught the table nos from 1 to 85 , how to run down the stairs every 30 mins to inspect men's and lady's toilet and if there was urine etc I was to clean it up . Shown how to ask customers after 10 mins is meal etc ok . Then clear tables and polished tables , then run behind bar . After 4 hours of non stop serving I was allowed a break thank the Lord . Then back to the toll only this time the very helpful young lady who had helped me a lot was on a break , only to be replaced by a not so helpful young lady who to be honest was not helpful at all and quite rude to me .I finished at 4 o clock and told the manager I would not be returning , to which the reply was I didn't expect it to be so busy. It was unfair to the young lady who had to work alongside me and also to myself . I would have stayed but not to be treated in this way
Pros
None comes to mind at the moment
Cons
Poor managment, poor planning, everyone seems to be a chief and not enough Indians

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location