J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Bar Staff

Wetherspoons Review
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
I learned how to manage an extremely busy pub that sometimes had angry customers. This has been an invaluable experience for my hospitality work in the future. I quickly picked up the bar staff work ethic. I enjoyed serving customers at the Mossy Well.
Prepared to take anyone on and provide training.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk23 June 2018
Wetherspoons is typical of a large company. Corporate politics can sometimes get in the way of work and the pay could be increased. A good part time job while studying though.
Pros
50% off food.
Cons
Pay
Fun, good pay, fast paced environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport20 June 2018
Good environment to work in with good pay, very fast paced and your constantly moving about due to how long the shifts were I got to have a very small social life and also getting through security was a night mare had to come in for your shifts sometimes up to to hours early.
Pros
Weekly pay, good pay in general, friendly staff and management
Cons
Long working hours, day shifts u don't have a specific finishing time, minimal social life
Awful place to work
Bar Staff and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull19 June 2018
if you’re thinking of working here I would strongly advise you to rethink. This was my first job, I was 18 and had next to no experience. I was thrown into the deep end with NO TRAINING and management expected me to know what to do straight away when working behind the bar. Because of the no training I had to teach myself everything. Management was an absolute joke, cliquey as anything. If 1 person didn’t like you that was it you was cast aside and made to feel like everything you did wasn’t good enough. They will keep you on until you approach the end of the 13 week probation scheme they have then fire you and make up a reason why (mine was I didn’t smile enough) would not recommend to anyone if it is there first job especially
Pros
50% off food and drink on shift. 20% off shift
Cons
Horrible managements, cliquey, no training
Not at nice
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, Kent15 June 2018
Not the best job to work at as cannot take holidays when you want ie Rochester kent and you always have to work weekends and Christmas and boxing day and it you take one day off not well you have to fill in back to work from
great
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire13 June 2018
loved the job just not enough hours. no set working week. drastic changes in week to week hours. so in that respect i hated it. the job its self was brilliant
Productive and Fun workplace
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Streatham Hill6 June 2018
Learned a number of skills, including money handling and communication skills.
Allowed me to develop skills to transfer to other jobs.
Always had a fun and friendly staff to work with and welcomed me to the team quickly.
Productive and fun work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London5 June 2018
Working there was very fun and all of the stuff working there was very friendly. Each day was very different and you have had a lot of opportunities in order to grow as a person
stressful with no feeling of fullfillment
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire2 June 2018
they work the staff extremely hard and are never quite happy with their performance regardless of the effort put in, whilst the managers sit around doing nothing.
fun place
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stalybridge21 May 2018
lots of friendly staff here at weatherspoons loads of fun with staff lots of events celebrated also cutomer service is really good always on the ball great food
Can be fun and Productive
Bar and Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Drummond17 May 2018
Cavernous, Soul Sucking you feel like a slave. JD Wetherspoon doesn't even follow their own policies. DON'T work for them. Their the EA of Bar Chains.
Pros
Free shares
Cons
Over worked Under paid
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  East Grinstead3 May 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wetherspoons, it's a great fast paced environment working alongside great people. My omly gripe was the sporadict hours, where i could work at anytijenof the day. Sometimes working into the early hours of the morning.
Pros
Employee dicount
Cons
No shift structure
Didn't even pay me - AVOID.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Brentwood South27 April 2018
Useless company. Do NOT work here unless you're extremely desperate and don't mind being treated like dirt. Worked an 8 hour shift a few days after successfully completing interview - which I assume was my trial? (I wasn't told this, I still don't know to this day, so not only have they robbed me 5 hours but potentially 13 hours) as I then worked a 5 hour shift the next day. Ending up leaving the company after this day after realizing I was on minimum wage for a 20 year old, when job was advertised for £7.80 and they didn't tell me different at interview. The job itself was rubbish with members of staff and supervisors having a good chat by the bar with their fellow mates and off-shift work colleagues whilst I managed bar by myself for a good 20 minutes with little previous bar experience! Obviously I didn't need to give notice as I was only there 2 days so I told them I won't be coming back. It's been over a month now (they pay weekly anyway) and I haven't received a penny - despite giving them my bank details/NI etc etc. Couldn't even be bothered to chase it up.
Avoid this company at all costs - rubbish pay with lazy workers, you're much better applying/handing out CV's elsewhere as the companies morals and people are realistically just braindead.
Pros
Leaving the company.
Cons
Staying in the company.
Hours and pay
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham25 April 2018
Hours and pay at this job we’re disgraceful, it advertised £7.95 per hour but you only get minimum wage for your age so maybe it should specify this in the ad. Then when you start your hours start as a decent job almost 25 hours + but then they drop your hours because they obviously think the best people should be on shift all the time and don’t think the new starters should be trained properly to get more hours. There’s no full training so it’s basically pick it all up yourself and learn by yourself. Trust me don’t work behind the bar at a Wetherspoons.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay
High staff turnover
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Ruthin, Denbighshire18 April 2018
So many people leaving, awkward shifts and the management would never let you take the holidays your entitled to. I requested time off, was told I could have it and then was put on the rota anyway.
Pros
Slight discount
Cons
Long hours, under payed
Bad reputation and should be banned from hiring/advertising
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London16 April 2018
Employer doesn't keep staff long enough to prove a successful staff turnover and has a bad reputation for hiring unprofessional staff. Management JD Wetherspoons pubs are to be questioned for many mistakes as many managers appear intimidating and very hot headed, especially Hounslow's branch, The Moon Under Water.
Pros
Discount on food as an employee
Cons
Questionable management
Shockingly bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 April 2018
Worst place I’ve ever worked. Got no training after I specified I had no bar experience and the staff were bigger perverts than the customers. Got propositioned at least 5 times a shift by the staff (which the pub manager knew about but continued to do nothing) and the customers were a nightmare. Not worth the stress for such little pay.
Bad job for work life balance
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire5 April 2018
Managers look down on staff. Expected to work every weekend if new, favouritism to certain individuals who get every weekend off. make you work short shifts but 6 days a week.
Pros
50% off Lunches
Cons
Management, Hours, Holiday
Good for first timers and extra money
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire28 March 2018
I currently work at a Wetherspoons and it has its ups and downs but at the end of the day the team has each others backs.
All members of staff are welcoming and willing to help with whatever you need.
You get 20 % off when not working and 50% when on shift and it’s definitely worth it!
You get some hard customers from time to time but you get use to it as no matter where you end up in in the working industry you will always experience this.
Mangers are always on hand and listen when there is either a problem or if you have a idea to improve the pub.
Pay is a week in advance and weekly
Pros
Meeting friends for life
Cons
Rude customers from time to time
Poor place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire17 March 2018
The managers horrible don't care don't help you to learn nothing one says one thing other one says other thing so never know if doing right or wrong got let go for stupid reason wasn't really right never work for wetherspoon again!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location