J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Bar Staff

Overall a good stop whilst studying
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Caerphilly, Caerphilly26 September 2018
A busy and well run establishment, would not consider working here if you're a sensitive person as people can become quite aggressive towards bar staff when intoxicated.
The job itself was good but as time went on I began to realise that things such as breaks and holidays were very restricted making the job more difficult than necessary but putting a smile on an elderly persons face or just listening to someone to make their day that little bit better made the job worth it to me.
Pros
Bonus system in place
Cons
Rude customers, lack of respect from public
Co-workers were awful
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Blyth, Northumberland31 August 2018
The general atmosphere etc of the pubs are nice, I enjoyed serving food and drinks and liked the job HOWEVER, you are so easily replaced, my co-workers were awful to me and they were the reason I left the job. The online training aswell is ridiculous and completely pointless.
Pros
a small discount
Cons
horrible co-workers and dreadful online training
Tricky one
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bathgate30 August 2018
Atmosphere is always fun, especially on weekend shifts, always busy but can have a lot of laughs with customers and colleagues.

Although, you are not valued at all, see you as easy replaced.

Dislocated my elbow on shift, was given two painkillers and asked to lift trays of glasses.. yup, I know.
Pros
Discounted food and drinks
Cons
Will replace you in a week
JD Pub Club
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Avon6 August 2018
It had its moments of enjoyability, but in doing two brief stints with them I thought the ways it was run would change, it did not. The workload was very much expected with holiday periods and weekend being predominantly busy with constant work which kept you occupied which I liked so you never got too bored. However the way it was run was at times chaotic and disorganised but somehow worked, the people who worked on the bar and in the management side were nice. This isn't applicable to your usual standard wetherspoons pubs as I sure the way it's conducted is considerably different to this one. If you are going to be applying for the 2am licensed wetherspoons be prepared to lose your daytime and your sleeping pattern.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire1 August 2018
Working behind the bar serving many different people throughout a shift. Help from others made everything easy to learn and was great fun. I love customer service so the serving part of the job was best.
Terrible place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport26 July 2018
Overall the hours and pay was good (was getting the £8.15 advertised) but the staff and management were horrible. Managers were always favouriting other staff. Was told I needed to improve in my first probation review so I did. Was told by one manager I was improving so well and then the week after a different manager told me I failed and that I was late 7 times. Wasn’t late once. They always find a reason to try and get rid of people by the looks of things.
Pros
50% food
Cons
Management, staff, hygiene
productive
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Bloxwich, West Midlands10 July 2018
A typical day at work would usually be very busy but you learn so much in such a short period of time. The management are understanding and are so good when it comes to having shifts around maybe college or university. Id say the hardest part of the job is some of the complaints we get and the way customers feel is the right way to speak to us and also when we are short staffed on a busy day but we just work hard and together and always manage to succeed at the end of the night. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and also seeing people leave with a happy experience.
Pros
Very flexible with hours you can and cant work.
Cons
Dont have many hours to give out to people who need or want them.
Not a dun place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 July 2018
Staff are rude and intolerant.

Poor training - thrown in the deep end.

High expectations for sales - too much pressure to work efficiently.

Discrimination felt strongly.
Wetherspoons Review
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
I learned how to manage an extremely busy pub that sometimes had angry customers. This has been an invaluable experience for my hospitality work in the future. I quickly picked up the bar staff work ethic. I enjoyed serving customers at the Mossy Well.
Prepared to take anyone on and provide training.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk23 June 2018
Wetherspoons is typical of a large company. Corporate politics can sometimes get in the way of work and the pay could be increased. A good part time job while studying though.
Pros
50% off food.
Cons
Pay
Fun, good pay, fast paced environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport20 June 2018
Good environment to work in with good pay, very fast paced and your constantly moving about due to how long the shifts were I got to have a very small social life and also getting through security was a night mare had to come in for your shifts sometimes up to to hours early.
Pros
Weekly pay, good pay in general, friendly staff and management
Cons
Long working hours, day shifts u don't have a specific finishing time, minimal social life
Awful place to work
Bar Staff and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull19 June 2018
if you’re thinking of working here I would strongly advise you to rethink. This was my first job, I was 18 and had next to no experience. I was thrown into the deep end with NO TRAINING and management expected me to know what to do straight away when working behind the bar. Because of the no training I had to teach myself everything. Management was an absolute joke, cliquey as anything. If 1 person didn’t like you that was it you was cast aside and made to feel like everything you did wasn’t good enough. They will keep you on until you approach the end of the 13 week probation scheme they have then fire you and make up a reason why (mine was I didn’t smile enough) would not recommend to anyone if it is there first job especially
Pros
50% off food and drink on shift. 20% off shift
Cons
Horrible managements, cliquey, no training
Not at nice
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, Kent15 June 2018
Not the best job to work at as cannot take holidays when you want ie Rochester kent and you always have to work weekends and Christmas and boxing day and it you take one day off not well you have to fill in back to work from
great
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire13 June 2018
loved the job just not enough hours. no set working week. drastic changes in week to week hours. so in that respect i hated it. the job its self was brilliant
Productive and Fun workplace
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Streatham Hill6 June 2018
Learned a number of skills, including money handling and communication skills.
Allowed me to develop skills to transfer to other jobs.
Always had a fun and friendly staff to work with and welcomed me to the team quickly.
Productive and fun work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London5 June 2018
Working there was very fun and all of the stuff working there was very friendly. Each day was very different and you have had a lot of opportunities in order to grow as a person
Productive, easy to learn type of workplace
Bar Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge3 June 2018
a typical day at work for someone on the bar would usually be collecting a till key from a manager, and being left to your own devices to lean what you can on the bar.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
low wage for work loads, no overtime paid.
stressful with no feeling of fullfillment
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire2 June 2018
they work the staff extremely hard and are never quite happy with their performance regardless of the effort put in, whilst the managers sit around doing nothing.
fun place
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stalybridge21 May 2018
lots of friendly staff here at weatherspoons loads of fun with staff lots of events celebrated also cutomer service is really good always on the ball great food
Can be fun and Productive
Bar and Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Drummond17 May 2018
Cavernous, Soul Sucking you feel like a slave. JD Wetherspoon doesn't even follow their own policies. DON'T work for them. Their the EA of Bar Chains.
Pros
Free shares
Cons
Over worked Under paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location