J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Bar Staff

Not a bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester15 January 2018
Loved working at weatherspoons until we got a new manger loved the challenges they set for us ,, the team in the kitchen worked well together and we got our work done with no stress
Pros
Working with team
Cons
Manger
Deceitful
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hemsworth, West Yorkshire8 January 2018
Very deceitful as I applied for a job in November time and wasn’t told that it was only for Christmas then just got took off the rotas without notification has to contact several member of management over 7 days to find out why was told it was temp then and also that I interacted with customers too much

Management and other member of staff weren’t too nice either not the best bar job to have
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything else
Overworked, power tripping staff, unpaid labour
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom27 December 2017
Minimal/no training given. They expect you to know everything then get hostile when you don't. Puts pressure on coworkers and uncomfortable and unfair for customers.

No clear rules/policies. Get in trouble/disciplined for things others are doing and are unaware is not allowed.

Unpaid labour after shifts, pressured and expected to clock out at a certain time after a night shift even when understaffed and doing 2/3 peoples jobs so they don't have to keep paying you.

Either extremely understaffed or overstaffed and sent home early.

Some managers love the power trip and try and get you in trouble for absolutely everything. Patronising and unfair.

Breaks are not always given, even on 8+ hour shifts.

Rotas are unpredictable, no social life due to all over the place hours.

Not paid enough to deal with the violence, drunk harassment and disgusting cleaning tasks we're unqualified to do.
Pros
good first job, they hire anyone. but not forever.
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk22 December 2017
Management is awful, picks favourites and makes it clear who they are, only thinks about themselves and will talk low about you behind your back to other staff members.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager
good overall work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk18 October 2017
I loved working at wetherspoons I started off at the queen of iceni and then moved to the The Bell hotel as I got more hours there I loved working with all the people and I made a lot of friends with customers , also the staff discopunt was really good so you could easily get food cheap also drinks where the same to .
Rude and abrupt
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire13 October 2017
Not a nice place - customers complain about the management all the time and other staff members were rude and abruptive with only care for number 1

management only take care of their favourites and they make it obvious who they are

the best part of the day is going home and the worst is dealing with the colleagues

a typical day at working for this place could vary on what event was running
Appalling
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Oldham3 October 2017
By far the worst place I have ever worked, every single manager I'e had has just been ridiculous and the pay is far too little for what we have to do.
Thrown in at the deep end
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Wales2 October 2017
Promised by management that full training would be given on working the bar at the interview .,, on my first day put behind the bar with one young lady , I had approx 2 mins training on the till where there are hundreds of different selections , I was a qualified pilot and I can assure you that it is harder to figure out the till than work out the clocks etc in a cockpit . I started at 8 am and by 8.05 I was qualified to work the till , know where all the different glasses was kept and for what drink etc how to make all the different coffees , I was also taught the table nos from 1 to 85 , how to run down the stairs every 30 mins to inspect men's and lady's toilet and if there was urine etc I was to clean it up . Shown how to ask customers after 10 mins is meal etc ok . Then clear tables and polished tables , then run behind bar . After 4 hours of non stop serving I was allowed a break thank the Lord . Then back to the toll only this time the very helpful young lady who had helped me a lot was on a break , only to be replaced by a not so helpful young lady who to be honest was not helpful at all and quite rude to me .I finished at 4 o clock and told the manager I would not be returning , to which the reply was I didn't expect it to be so busy. It was unfair to the young lady who had to work alongside me and also to myself . I would have stayed but not to be treated in this way
Pros
None comes to mind at the moment
Cons
Poor managment, poor planning, everyone seems to be a chief and not enough Indians
Not Great Work Place
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 September 2017
Good Colleagues, Management are terrible, Hours can be unsociable at times especially full-time hours, pay isn't great above minimum wage however, food is microwaved
Easy but no balance
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central13 September 2017
Not fun place to work if you would like a good work life balance, between early mornings and late nights the pattern is inconsistent and exhausting with no wiggle room and a constant fear of loosing your job.
never ever work for them!
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Consett13 September 2017
worst company to work for in your life, would not recommend to anyone. they make up lies about you, also cut your hours over nothing, would not recommend to anyone looking for a job.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
will ruin your life.
Long hours on your feet.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Penzance8 September 2017
There we're times when the rota had changed and I hadn't be notified of the update which made the work-life balance difficult at times.
Although good discount rates.
Pros
Discount rates
Great for a student
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  March, Cambridgeshire6 September 2017
I worked there for a short period of time when i moved back to the UK, and whilst it was fun working behind a bar, I applied for a 35 hour job which quickly turned into a 4 hour contract which was the worst. Even in the christmas period the most hours I was given in a week was 24 which wasn't close to enough to make ends meet. Furthermore there isn't really any room for advancement in the company and so I quickly obtained a secure, guaranteed hours, much better paid job
Pros
Discounts on food, great working environment
Cons
Miselling of job, little working hours, little pay
One big family
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bathgate5 September 2017
In nearly my ten years of working for this company I can honestly say I have never meat a more helping and understanding company.with the benifit of working for such a massive company.
Pros
Free shares
Cons
Unsociable hours
fun work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire1 September 2017
it was an enjoyable place to work.hours were just too long due to having a small child. my manager was very understanding and efficient. I learned a lot about running a bar and time sheets along with rotas.
the people whom worked there was friendly and fun.
I would like a different kind of job now
a typical day at work was cleaning, then opening the doors to meet and greet customers, serve food
One of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever had
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex31 August 2017
Probably the funnest job I have had. Providing you graft and listen to instructions, a very fast-paced, enjoyable, sociable job that can provide a great number of hours, fairly good pay and plenty of room to progress into management. Hours can be long but there is a great sense of teamwork which makes a job a lot more enjoyable and takes the pressure off. A great company to work for, fully recommend to college age and Uni Students.
Pros
Fantastic Training, Easy to progress, Great Management, Discount Food and Drinks, Good Pay and number of Hours
Cons
Long Hours
Good student job
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear24 August 2017
Good job to have as a student, as they work around university hours and cater to help you. Fun job and gain loads of training and experience which can be beneficial in the future
Pros
Good people to work with, fun shifts, good management, discounted food
Cons
Unsociable hours, (Lloyds bar)
Fun to work in, staff are nice and friendly
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh22 August 2017
Staff are all nice and friendly, always smiling, managers always try there best to make everyone feel motivated and always keep customers happy, always have people there to help if your not sure about something, and also all the staff always look out for each other and everyone works as a team
Pros
You get 50% off food when on shift & also get 20% off food, drinks and hotel accommodation while off duty
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
Good and Fun place to work
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 August 2017
Wetherspoon is a good company to work for part time as long as you don't like going out on weekends as if you are new then all they put you on is late night Friday and Saturday shifts and no day shifts. I was not told this when i accepted the job, i thought there would be one night shift in there but not every week working till 3 or 4 in the morning and then again the next day.
Management is amazing and really considerate of you and are very lenient with time off and stuff but nevertheless the constant stream of night shifts is still going to be a pain for most people (including me).
Pros
discount whilst on shift
Cons
bad hours
Fun and Fast working evironment
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Leatherhead, Surrey20 August 2017
As soon as you got to work you were on your feet, serving and waiting on customers. Each time you went to work, your pace of work got quicker as you were getting used to; the till, the tables, the regulars and the bar. Management were good with helping you out around the bar when if it was quiet but if it was busy, and you are new, you are thrown in the deep end. The hardest part of the job is dealing with 'drunk' people in a professional manor. This could be hard especially when they could be getting personal. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the regulars and being able to have a conversation.
Pros
Half Price on Lunch
Cons
Unsocial Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8