J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Associate

Fun and Lively
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes15 January 2018
A typical day at work would be maintaining housekeeping, so wiping down tables, restoring the condiments and wiping down the bar. Also making sure the glasses are always clean.
On a Friday or Saturday night, things get quite busy and the main focus is getting food out in good time and making sure everyone is enjoying their food. Curry club and Steak club tend to also keep waiters on their toes. When it's less busy, the focus moves to cleaning and maintaining standards.

Management in my pub where I worked was great, they were all kind and understanding and we really were a team together.

The culture is like a group of family and friends, you'll find a lot of members of the team are either in relationships or are related or are friends outside of work or have mutual friends which allows for smooth work style.

The hardest part would be when we are understaffed on a busy night as the work load can intensify ( make sure you have comfy shoes, as ugly as they might be, they are lifesavers!)
The most enjoyable part is the customers complimenting my smile and noticing my efforts and hard work.
Pros
50% off lunches, great team and management
Cons
Can end up doing more shifts or longer hours than planned
Fine - People were great. Job - not so much.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
The job is easy once you get into the swing of things. The management are absolute souless vessels of people who, I assume were once happy and are now doomed to be miserable. Other staff are usually great. The hours are brutal sometimes and you'll forget the meaning of having a drink on the weekend but it could be worse.
Pros
The other staff
Cons
Literally everything else
Enjoyable
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 January 2018
Every day was different when working in this job. I enjoyed working behind the bar as I was always busy, whether it be serving customers or maintaining the bar area's high standard of cleanliness and organisation. Managers were always present and were incredibly understanding of any issues or situations both inside and outside of work. My colleagues were all very welcoming, so I settled in quickly. Everyone would help each other, especially on the closing shift - no one would clock out until everyone had finished their closing duties. The only downside to this job was that hours varied weekly - which is not desirable when you have bills and rent to pay.
Pros
Staff discount
fun workplace fast paced
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 January 2018
fast paced different tasks from serving food to serving hot and cold beverages. meeting pub targets on food and alcohol maintaining health and safety.
An OK job to tide you over
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire29 December 2017
An alright job to have through Uni, when you needed the pay and weren't too bothered with having to work all hours of the day.

After that, the hours aren't enough to sustain you and are usually at night so unless you live nearby was tricky to get places.
poor hours
Bar associate (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire28 December 2017
As expected with bar work you'll be working odd hours. but forget having a social life you'd be lucky if you got 1 weekend day off every 6 months. Managers are very favoritest.
Pros
good discounts
Cons
poor hours
JD wertherspoon review
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset13 December 2017
My typical day at work usually starts at 1500 till 0100. I learned that some people are not willing to cooperate with you to finish the tasks quicker and sometimes you need to count on yourself only. The management where I worked in, which was the Quay Poole was horrible and they never listened to you fully and never help you anything or even compromise the solution. Hardest part of the job is the customers complaints but that is easy to deal with as long as you are calm and polite.
Most enjoyable part of the job, is some of the staff that makes your day and some jokes that can go around, it just little things makes you smile.
Pros
discount on food and drinks
Cons
They always puts you on late night shifts
Just horrible.
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 December 2017
Get treated like rubbish expected to work long hours breaks have to be begged for management have favourites and no hope of promotion unless you suck up.
Fun and interactive workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk25 November 2017
Lots of really nice people, work isn't too stressful and you bond with co workers easily. Management can vary from pub to pub, but generally they are nice people too. I learnt loads of new skills and help developed my social skills at the same time. It's a great starter job and you also have plenty of chances to advance up the ladder if you're looking for something more permanent.
Pros
discount on food and drinks
Cons
management can be poor at times
Easy work enviroment
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge23 November 2017
At work everyone was friendly and excited to help me progress and learn new skills. I learned how to make new drinks I hadn't heard of before and improved my customer service skills.
Very enjoyably atmosphere
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London17 November 2017
During my time at this company i learned how to handle cash really well and how to properly use a till. Working here taught me how to handle people better no matter the situation and has given me overall confidence, especially when it comes to approaching people and speaking up when i feel a need to. Management was always kind and helpful, i felt like i could always talk to them if need be. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the time spent getting to know the regular customers, it was really nice and refreshing walking into work with them going out there way to say hello to you or to tell you about their day. the workplace was never a dull moment as there were so many different personalities and characters working with me, you can always have a laugh when needed however, when it came to getting the job done everyone would buckle down and work together.
Pros
Very flexible around my uni timetable. out of work food discounts
Sociable place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire16 November 2017
Sociable place to work but long and unsociable hours to go with it.
Could do with rotas being changed around to suit everyone because they only suit managers and most of the time understaffed on busy days, plenty of staff on slow days.
Pros
Nice food
Happy workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool7 November 2017
A typical day at work in Wetherspoons would be a busy and fast paced environment, eg footbal match days, ensuring all customers were served professionally and in a timely manner. I would describe the workplace mentality as a harmonious one, taking on the task presented with a welcoming approach and a sense of humour. I learned that team work is essential in working in a pub environment, ie- someone to fill up ice dumps, someone to do replenish stock and toilet checks, for example. The most enjoyable part of the job is building a rapport with customers, local and new and making new friends with your fellow colleagues. The hardest part of the job is, for example, when a member of staff has called in sick or if not enough staff have been delegated for a shift, meaning you would have to put the extra effort in.
Good experience
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow1 November 2017
This was great and gave me an insight to what working hands on with the general public is like, helped me meet demands and keep a high level of concentration
Long hours, little recognition
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire29 October 2017
Had no formal training, despite promises of such. Was thrown in at the deep end every time. First time on the bar was a busy Saturday with 2 staff that were too overwhelmed to help.

Absentee management and no support for new staff. Constant criticism from managers despite this.

Only upside was the other associates and the friendships I forged with them during my time there.
Pros
20% discount, working with friends.
Cons
Long hours, no support or training.
dont bother
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 October 2017
It's stressful and youre lucky to have a manager downstairs helping with complaints, as there is always complaints. Large amounts of staff mean lots of gossip
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
fun place to work
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnley16 October 2017
Everybody gets along at Wetherspoon's and there is never a dull moment. there are challenging days such as match days where the pub gets extremely busy but it is extremely satisfying at the end of the shift after realising what you have acheived.
Pros
discounted food and drinks
Cons
working until early hours in the morning
not brilliant
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Wombwell13 October 2017
A typical day at work was very stressful because we were always under staffed and the managment was not fantastic, however the training was very good and I learned new skills all the time.
the hours were not very practical for a mother or for anyone wanting to finish at certain times as these were never garunteed finishes.
also staff gets called in alot on their days off.

my most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new faces everyday and seeing all of the regular customers i especially enjoyed the older age range as they were lovely and fantastic people to serve.
Pros
dsicount on lunches
Cons
long hours, zero hour contracts no chance of set shifts if you hadnt been there long
Just ok
Associate (Current Employee) –  South coast25 September 2017
Long hours and not enough staff so basically you are run off your feet, customers can get very aggressive with you because of lack of staff. No work life balance because your shifts are all over the place. The salary and benefits are good they need to be to make up for the problems the job causes with your life. Too much concern about Head office callers who need to get their coats off and help when we are busy instead of sitting down and judging us, we all work for the same company.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance
Poorly Managed & Awful Pay
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Essex17 September 2017
Poor from the start of my employment - I was hired under false pretences with a promise of higher pay than that actually received.

Pay was far too low for the demand of the job with the 40 hour weeks, which always included evenings, meaning I had to completely sacrifice my social life. Rarely given the full time of my allocated break on long shifts.

They seem to unfairly offload all friday and saturday evenings (which are by far the busiest and most stressful shifts) to all the newer members of staff, while older staff get precedence over choice of shifts.

Poor communication between managers resulted in many difficulties including constantly incorrect rotas - no wonder so many shifts ended up being understaffed! Left on the bar by myself for 5 hours during the breakfast rush no more than 3 weeks in as the pub manager refused to help, unfair for me and the customers.

Stock levels were always low which resulted in more complaints, especially when the pub completely ran out of straws for a week straight (I'm unsure how it was difficult to keep an account of the straws required).

Despite this, other bar associates were lovely so I enjoyed some aspects of the job but, in general, an awful place to work for. Only benefits were the discounts on food and drink.
Pros
Discounts on Food & Drink
Cons
Poor Management, Long Hours, Awful Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8