J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Associate

Fun workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingsbury, Greater London10 October 2018
Working on the bar is easy, fun and interactive. There are a few moments when dealing with customers that can get quite worrying. Overall though, the company is good to work with.
Pros
fun environment, discounted food
Cons
lack of movement upwards, lots of changeover
Hospitality
Associate (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 October 2018
Long hours. Early starts and late finishes.

Staff discount is good.

(Kitchen)

Early mornings involve preparing garnish, preparing meat and defrost list. Alongside cooking breakfasts and accepting deliveries.

Late shifts involve preparing customer checks, cleaning all equipment, utensils, surfaces and walls. Followed by wrapping cutlery.
Pros
Weekly pay. Staff discount.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
Management are bullies.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire6 October 2018
If it wasn't for my peers working alongside me this review would be a lot worse. I was continually humiliated by the managers constant need to remind other staff and customers about my personal issues. Extremely unprofessional.
Training poor
Night Associate (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh Waverley Station, City of Edinburgh5 October 2018
Got what I need from the job in terms of availability but comparing the training to previous jobs it's very poor it's all just online which doesn't transfer into the job well.
Pros
Half decent nightshift pay
Cons
poor training
Bit of a mixed place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon3 October 2018
I worked at a wetherspoons part time whilst at sixth form, earning a mere £5.20 an hour, 0 hour contract turned to a 4 hour contract (no problem with that) but made to work way over even though stating I was in sixth form. Some of the people I worked with were nice, the others I just didn't bother with. Management was bossy, rude, treated staff like they were stupid. Planned a summer holiday at easter, didn't let me have the time off despite the considerably long notice I gave them, ended up leaving because of this, wrote letter of resignation to which I got a reply from my boss when I was next in work with 'it was obvious your dad sent me that email'...I was an english literature student in sixth form...not an idiot.
Pros
The discount on food (seeing how cheap it is already).
Cons
Bossy bosses and annoying hours.
Good pay but probably not worth it
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Greater London6 September 2018
Unless you are looking to work yourself up into the management side of the Wetherspoons chain, I would not recommend working there. Depending on which pub you work at mostly management is lacking and you are left to figure out how to do your job especially if you were like me and had no previous knowledge to bar work. Mostly felt like i was a spare part to the company, constantly being shouted at for things that weren't my fault and sometimes being put into dangerous situations with rowdy customers.
Pros
discount, good pay, monthly bonuses plus extra
Cons
pub environment, bad management, sometimes horrible customers
Productive and mentally tiring
Bar associate (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset3 September 2018
I found working for this company good and secure but also very stressful. I found it very difficult to build a career with this company as management can be full of false promises and will take advantage of your versatility. The team are great which made the job a lot more worth while but its not a good option as a career
Pros
Good Team and Mangement
Cons
Working long periods without a break
Fun place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth28 August 2018
Good for a part time job. Not many hours and often work long shifts with little break if any at all. Often a lot of stress on shift. Can be a horrible place to work as some customers are rude and abusive. Not for someone who isn’t thick skinned
Pros
Discount, banter on shift
Cons
Breaks aren’t always adhered to. Rotas are not posted well enough in advance
Productive and fun
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Wembley20 August 2018
Never a boring day. Great place to work as a student. Fast pace role, physically demanding at first but then adaptable. Strong multi tasking skills needed.
Pros
Discount on food and drinks
Cons
Unsociable hours
Best and Worst time of my life
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 August 2018
I enjoyed working here and the friends that became family. I was lucky enough to work in two amazing pubs with amazing staff and some times, some decent customers.

Working in a pub is very demanding and can be a drain on your physical and mental health. I was lucky enough to have understanding pub managers but depression is common and high amongst staff due to job pressures,

All in all though, best time of my life and wouldn't change the experience for the world.
It's just as you imagine
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 July 2018
A typical day depends if on early or lates. I learned that customers can be challenging but no matter what management have your back. Workplace culture depends on your management really, a strong team will keep their staff happy. The hardest part is definitely the hours at times - can be quite draining but the most enjoyable is the staff nights out and the general camaraderie.
Pros
Scran
Cons
Management sometimes
Busy on weekends
BAR ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hamilton25 July 2018
Serving customers swiftly
monitoring and preventing supplies from running low: glasses, fruits, and other things
Maintaining cleanliness
Serving food
Bar closedown tasks
Bar opening tasks
Pros
Easy to manage days off
Cons
Can be very stressful when busy
Great staff
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester9 July 2018
Fantastic company to work for!
Excellent chance of promotions and lots of training provided.
Lots of chance of over time If you need extra hours..
50% off food during shifts and also 20% off alcohol in any other wetherspoons
Pros
Excellent staff training
Cons
Can be long hours at times
Hard work but Great atmosphere
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 July 2018
The environment is challenging but the people who i worked with were amazing, friendly and easy to get along with. The work hours could be better but this does depends on how busy the pud gets.
Pros
50% off food during, before, and after shift, NO zero hour contracts
Cons
sometimes not enough hours and hard work. Challenging customers.
Awful job but the people are ok
Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon29 June 2018
While there are some good things about working for Wetherspoons, for example the pay isn't bad and the staff are all friendly fun to work with, those are pretty much the only good things about the job. In the pub I worked in the senior management clearly didn't care about their staff in the slightest and the overall pub manager would spend their entire shift sitting up in the office doing nothing and would only come down to help if we rang the office and asked for them to come down, even then they would come down for 5 minutes and then disappear again. As a result of this and other issues with the pub there is a lot of unnecessary stress felt by the staff.
Fun depending on your pub
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
I’ve worked at 4 different spoons and the staff really make a difference. Good place to work if you want experience in bar work because the customers are often friendly and have patience, not very sociable hours as you can leave work at 4am sometimes.
Pros
Discounts and bonuses
Cons
Managers aren’t very helpful
Good flexible hours
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Falmouth9 June 2018
Demanding and hard work. Can have a lot of controversy within the company that makes it hard to get along with some people.
On the plus side it is very flexible with hours and means you can have a whole day off and only work in the evening of you so wish.
Great employers
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport County7 June 2018
JD Wetherspoon are great employers. The rate of pay is always above minimum wage, you can work as many or as little hours as you would like. You receive great bonuses. The managers vary from pub to pub but majority of them are great! Easy to take holidays and time off. I love working for them. Its better than other pub chains I have worked for.
Pros
50% off, bonuses, above minimum wage, good advancement
Cons
late hours, weekend work, event times
A good start
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 June 2018
-Good place to start if you are a student or recent graduate.
-Great team but terrible management who tend to mistreat newbies so have a tough skin and just focus on doing your best.
-Newbies tend to be saddled with all the jobs no one one wants to do and are at times given a task that requires more than one person and expected to finished in a very short time frame.
-Expect blame for events that you can't control so make sure to be as organised and time efficient as possible.
-Make sure all important commitments don't clash with work as one can be blamed for that even if it was unexpected.
-If you actually want to learn something then build good relations with your team mates because that is how you survive and keep your job.
Pros
Great Pay and Nice company benefits
Ok
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire3 June 2018
Certainly not a bad place to work, the jobs is usual for waitressing/bar work. However a few issues, for example the different shifts every week can make it hard to plan ahead, also got asked to leave early or stay late with very little notice (as in on the spot) . While it was not complusory (as it can’t be without reasonable notice) it was clear when you had made a manager or duty manager unhappy. Some pulled their weight more than others. Like any work place it depends on wether you get on with your colleagues or not. Unless you worked full time then there was Not opportunity for advancement, though those that did seemed to be advanced very quickly.
Pros
Decent pay for under 21’s, flexible hours for students
Cons
Short breaks, very hot, not given new uniforms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location