J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Associate

A Great place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire14 April 2018
I would recommend working at Wetherspoons to anyone! They offer lots of training with the role (some of which you are required to complete outside of working hours). Overall a great place to work!
Pros
Staff discount
dangerous
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk27 March 2018
The managers didn't care for the employees' safety when the customers became abusive, they simply wanted to keep taking their money to line their own pockets. They supposedly ban the really violent customers but always let them back in. A customer spat in my face and the manager couldn't be bothered to bar him. Very Victorian and they do not care for your welfare. A highly dangerous environment.
Pros
I managed to escape
Cons
Violence and bullying
Busy!
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Norwich21 March 2018
Working in spoons, there is never a boring shift. It's keeps you on your toes and you get experience with the best and the worst of customers. It's very good experience. Hours are flexible and management are always very accommodating.
Horrible management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset17 March 2018
If you want to be treated like a dog come work at The King of Wessex!!! The current pub manager definitely had her favorite minions to do the dirty and everyone else was a bad member of staff!
Horrible place to work. Wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Cons
everything
Team based work
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport, West Sussex15 March 2018
Important to have people skills and patients
Hours can be tough in an airport
Pay is good and opportunities to better yourself are numerous
Busy workplace so it is important to stay focused
Pros
Discounts on food are huge
Cons
Airport security is a pain and a pass takes a few weeks
Miserable place to work.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 March 2018
The particular spoons that I worked for was terrible. Incredibly stressful, strained and frankly dangerous. Unsupportive management and a high employee turnover.
Pros
discounted food though still more expensive than any deli.
Cons
dangerous and strained work environment
Every Day is Different
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire25 February 2018
Overall it is a fun place to work, you meet new people every day at the bar, you get to know your regulars and its a good atmosphere. People go in pubs to enjoy themselves and thats what i like to provide for them a good atmosphere where the beers cold and the food it hot.
Pros
Staff Discount
Fun But At Some Cost
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot12 February 2018
A great place to begin your employment story. You will build friendships and really get the sense that you working together as a team. The drinks you will share with your fellow staff members after a busy shift will be treasured. With that being said, be prepared to miss most of the great times out. Christmas, Boxing Days, Bank Holidays, Halloween, Big sporting events, you'll understandingly be working them all.
Pros
Great work atmosphere.
Cons
Very unsociable hours.
Great for students, not so much a career
Cross trained bar associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol Temple Meads Station, Bristol31 January 2018
Great flexibility around working patterns for students; I was always able to get the amount of hours I wanted, when I wanted them, and could always book off time if needed for studies.
Lovely team, Caring and nice enviroment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gwynedd30 January 2018
Unfortunately i had to leave employment, due to the amount of hours weatherpersons could offer me overall, good team and enjoyed the experience.I gained my online training in food safety and a refresher of experiencing working in a kitchen environment.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Amount of hours
Great workplace but stressful shifts and tough sleep
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Cardiff29 January 2018
Typical day at work involves serving customers, making drinks, running food, clearing floor and cleaning the bar.
Its a great social environment, I met many great friends and everyone goes out on days off together.
The management can let the company down. I love the job and the pub but had issues with overworking and bad hours around my university studies making me fall behind with work and grades.
Often understaffed as the desire is to save money and hours, which can make shifts stressful if you dont work hard and fast. I've always loved this aspect of the job but recently found management blames staff for poor organisation and often made to feel bad at the job or lazy.
Hours are difficult, 12 hour days on events which are exhausting and constantly put on finishes which means not getting out of the pub until 3/4am and not getting home until 5am. Knocks your sleep for days and then your back in on finish again.
Had no meaningful response to telling any manager about need for less hours/finishes.
You come to be proud of your pub and make the best friends.
Pros
Great coworkers, good bonuses, lots of available hours, great discount on food and drink
Cons
long hours, late shifts, poor management
Great Staff and Approchable Regulars
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife26 January 2018
The associates aren't trusted to change Beer Kegs (understandable with stocks) but the regular customers make the working day more relaxed and enjoyable along with the humour of your fellow employees
Pros
50% off food bill while working
Cons
Late finishes
Fun and Lively
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes15 January 2018
A typical day at work would be maintaining housekeeping, so wiping down tables, restoring the condiments and wiping down the bar. Also making sure the glasses are always clean.
On a Friday or Saturday night, things get quite busy and the main focus is getting food out in good time and making sure everyone is enjoying their food. Curry club and Steak club tend to also keep waiters on their toes. When it's less busy, the focus moves to cleaning and maintaining standards.

Management in my pub where I worked was great, they were all kind and understanding and we really were a team together.

The culture is like a group of family and friends, you'll find a lot of members of the team are either in relationships or are related or are friends outside of work or have mutual friends which allows for smooth work style.

The hardest part would be when we are understaffed on a busy night as the work load can intensify ( make sure you have comfy shoes, as ugly as they might be, they are lifesavers!)
The most enjoyable part is the customers complimenting my smile and noticing my efforts and hard work.
Pros
50% off lunches, great team and management
Cons
Can end up doing more shifts or longer hours than planned
Little job security
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockley15 January 2018
On a zero-hour contract, your hours can be cut if business is slowing down. It is a good company to work for if you want flexible part-time work - if you are a student for instance, as I was
Fine - People were great. Job - not so much.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
The job is easy once you get into the swing of things. The management are absolute souless vessels of people who, I assume were once happy and are now doomed to be miserable. Other staff are usually great. The hours are brutal sometimes and you'll forget the meaning of having a drink on the weekend but it could be worse.
Pros
The other staff
Cons
Literally everything else
Enjoyable
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 January 2018
Every day was different when working in this job. I enjoyed working behind the bar as I was always busy, whether it be serving customers or maintaining the bar area's high standard of cleanliness and organisation. Managers were always present and were incredibly understanding of any issues or situations both inside and outside of work. My colleagues were all very welcoming, so I settled in quickly. Everyone would help each other, especially on the closing shift - no one would clock out until everyone had finished their closing duties. The only downside to this job was that hours varied weekly - which is not desirable when you have bills and rent to pay.
Pros
Staff discount
fun workplace fast paced
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 January 2018
fast paced different tasks from serving food to serving hot and cold beverages. meeting pub targets on food and alcohol maintaining health and safety.
An OK job to tide you over
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire29 December 2017
An alright job to have through Uni, when you needed the pay and weren't too bothered with having to work all hours of the day.

After that, the hours aren't enough to sustain you and are usually at night so unless you live nearby was tricky to get places.
poor hours
Bar associate (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire28 December 2017
As expected with bar work you'll be working odd hours. but forget having a social life you'd be lucky if you got 1 weekend day off every 6 months. Managers are very favoritest.
Pros
good discounts
Cons
poor hours
JD wertherspoon review
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset13 December 2017
My typical day at work usually starts at 1500 till 0100. I learned that some people are not willing to cooperate with you to finish the tasks quicker and sometimes you need to count on yourself only. The management where I worked in, which was the Quay Poole was horrible and they never listened to you fully and never help you anything or even compromise the solution. Hardest part of the job is the customers complaints but that is easy to deal with as long as you are calm and polite.
Most enjoyable part of the job, is some of the staff that makes your day and some jokes that can go around, it just little things makes you smile.
Pros
discount on food and drinks
Cons
They always puts you on late night shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location