J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews for Associate

Great staff
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester9 July 2018
Fantastic company to work for!
Excellent chance of promotions and lots of training provided.
Lots of chance of over time If you need extra hours..
50% off food during shifts and also 20% off alcohol in any other wetherspoons
Pros
Excellent staff training
Cons
Can be long hours at times
Hard work but Great atmosphere
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 July 2018
The environment is challenging but the people who i worked with were amazing, friendly and easy to get along with. The work hours could be better but this does depends on how busy the pud gets.
Pros
50% off food during, before, and after shift, NO zero hour contracts
Cons
sometimes not enough hours and hard work. Challenging customers.
Awful job but the people are ok
Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon29 June 2018
While there are some good things about working for Wetherspoons, for example the pay isn't bad and the staff are all friendly fun to work with, those are pretty much the only good things about the job. In the pub I worked in the senior management clearly didn't care about their staff in the slightest and the overall pub manager would spend their entire shift sitting up in the office doing nothing and would only come down to help if we rang the office and asked for them to come down, even then they would come down for 5 minutes and then disappear again. As a result of this and other issues with the pub there is a lot of unnecessary stress felt by the staff.
Good flexible hours
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Falmouth9 June 2018
Demanding and hard work. Can have a lot of controversy within the company that makes it hard to get along with some people.
On the plus side it is very flexible with hours and means you can have a whole day off and only work in the evening of you so wish.
Great employers
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport County7 June 2018
JD Wetherspoon are great employers. The rate of pay is always above minimum wage, you can work as many or as little hours as you would like. You receive great bonuses. The managers vary from pub to pub but majority of them are great! Easy to take holidays and time off. I love working for them. Its better than other pub chains I have worked for.
Pros
50% off, bonuses, above minimum wage, good advancement
Cons
late hours, weekend work, event times
A good start
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 June 2018
-Good place to start if you are a student or recent graduate.
-Great team but terrible management who tend to mistreat newbies so have a tough skin and just focus on doing your best.
-Newbies tend to be saddled with all the jobs no one one wants to do and are at times given a task that requires more than one person and expected to finished in a very short time frame.
-Expect blame for events that you can't control so make sure to be as organised and time efficient as possible.
-Make sure all important commitments don't clash with work as one can be blamed for that even if it was unexpected.
-If you actually want to learn something then build good relations with your team mates because that is how you survive and keep your job.
Pros
Great Pay and Nice company benefits
Ok
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire3 June 2018
Certainly not a bad place to work, the jobs is usual for waitressing/bar work. However a few issues, for example the different shifts every week can make it hard to plan ahead, also got asked to leave early or stay late with very little notice (as in on the spot) . While it was not complusory (as it can’t be without reasonable notice) it was clear when you had made a manager or duty manager unhappy. Some pulled their weight more than others. Like any work place it depends on wether you get on with your colleagues or not. Unless you worked full time then there was Not opportunity for advancement, though those that did seemed to be advanced very quickly.
Pros
Decent pay for under 21’s, flexible hours for students
Cons
Short breaks, very hot, not given new uniforms
Flexibile workplace, long hours
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow31 May 2018
long shifts but flexibility to allow for better work-life balance where possible. ability to move up quickly if determined enough to put in the effort and with good management
A job with little benefits
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Essex29 May 2018
I have enjoyed working as part of a team, however haven't felt like I can be challenged to my full potential. Often the management is under stress and we get little in the way of breaks. However, my contract has been flexible which has meant I can travel.
productive and fun workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  Warminster10 May 2018
you will be expected to fullfill food and beverage to a high specification.
online training is expected to gain knowledge off all required job roles.
progression is possible but not always supported
Pros
discount on food and drink
Good weekend job
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire8 May 2018
I worked here for a short while however many issues arose with management not pulling their own back when bar and kitchen staff were often getting slammed. I also found myself being bullied by other members of staff and this was not resolved forcing me to leave.
Negative
Associate member (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside25 April 2018
Poor management, ageism culture, long hours sometimes without a break to meet the needs of customers rather than ensuring the staff have some food and a rest.

One good thing I will say is good bonuses can be earned often and if you want to progress then you can rather fast.
Pros
50% off food, family and friends discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of care towards staff from managemnt
Fun working environment
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 April 2018
I love the people I work with, the manager is brilliant. The only thing that annoys me is how unorganised they are rota wise. We are usually understaffed, you can't plan anything as rotas only get released a week before even if its earlier they usually change and you are expected to work them.
Do not apply
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire21 April 2018
Management was rude and tried to make me stay longer than my rotad shift, when i told them i could not stay any longer i was barred, told to leave and not to come back even though i had worked my rotad shift and i couldnt stay any longer, members of staff would pick on others who were not part of their “group” and some days i worked a 10 Hour shift with barely any break! DO NOT APPLY for the standing order in stevenage this place is good for money however it is not worth the stress
Pros
Cons
Staff and management
A Great place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire14 April 2018
I would recommend working at Wetherspoons to anyone! They offer lots of training with the role (some of which you are required to complete outside of working hours). Overall a great place to work!
Pros
Staff discount
Demotivating workplace
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Scotland11 April 2018
Good company to work for as you receive bonuses at the end of a good audit and wage is above minimum. However, you do not feel individually valued - probably as it is such a large company but would be nice to stick to original values, as many large companies do. Easy to move up in the company as demonstrated by the managers I work under. However, when multiple complaints are made about the same members of management from staff, nothing is done to resolve this. Also, you learn on the job (i.e. train yourself) and are not told of important changes happening in the company.
dangerous
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk27 March 2018
The managers didn't care for the employees' safety when the customers became abusive, they simply wanted to keep taking their money to line their own pockets. They supposedly ban the really violent customers but always let them back in. A customer spat in my face and the manager couldn't be bothered to bar him. Very Victorian and they do not care for your welfare. A highly dangerous environment.
Pros
I managed to escape
Cons
Violence and bullying
Busy!
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Norwich21 March 2018
Working in spoons, there is never a boring shift. It's keeps you on your toes and you get experience with the best and the worst of customers. It's very good experience. Hours are flexible and management are always very accommodating.
Horrible management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset17 March 2018
If you want to be treated like a dog come work at The King of Wessex!!! The current pub manager definitely had her favorite minions to do the dirty and everyone else was a bad member of staff!
Horrible place to work. Wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Cons
everything
Team based work
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport, West Sussex15 March 2018
Important to have people skills and patients
Hours can be tough in an airport
Pay is good and opportunities to better yourself are numerous
Busy workplace so it is important to stay focused
Pros
Discounts on food are huge
Cons
Airport security is a pain and a pass takes a few weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

J D Wetherspoon PLC Reviews by Location