J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in Newcastle upon Tyne

Found 26 reviews matching the search See all 1,759 reviews
The Good the bad and the ugly
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 June 2018
A stable job for someone willing to put the graft in, experience differs from pub to pub, sometimes you work for a pub manager who leads from the front and other times you work for an office bound manager who believes very much in the chain of command.

over all the company is very well ran, to what sometimes feels like ridiculous high standards with more red tape added each year, but that's probably why they are the undisputed overlords of the pub restaurant companies, its hard to keep up with all the policies and procedures.

very little scope to progress from kitchen manager with the recent removal of the regional catering manager role, unless you are willing to transfer to the front of house, expect to remain in this role for a long time.

expect to work very unsociable hours as a kitchen manager, working from late morning to early evening 5 times a week.
Pros
bonus scheme, salary
Cons
very unsociable hours, judged unfairly on results
Miserable place to work.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 March 2018
The particular spoons that I worked for was terrible. Incredibly stressful, strained and frankly dangerous. Unsupportive management and a high employee turnover.
Pros
discounted food though still more expensive than any deli.
Cons
dangerous and strained work environment
Good atmosphere to work in
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear29 September 2017
Fully flexible especially with other commitments such as Uni. Great atmosphere to work in and have a chance to develop internally. A lot of online training to start off with.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Shifts can take up most of your day
unsociable hours when working part time
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 September 2017
positive:
good hourly wage
weekly pay
good staff environment

negatives:
unsociable hours
not very flexible with the shifts given
long hours, no break
Bar/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne27 July 2017
The management team weren't very nice at all. Sometimes the sarcastic comments they made to staff made them feel unworthy of the job and so a lot of staff left due to this.
Very bad
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 June 2017
Worst job I have ever had. Management cared nothing for you problems you just had to work work work. Many times I had to walk 10 miles home because i was kept late. Staff were no better. J.D Wetherspoons is the devil
Pros
discount on food and drink
Cons
no life, poor pay, very bad managers
Fun workplace but gets dull
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 June 2017
Great fun working at a Lloyd's when part time but full time gets tiring. Pretty unsociable hours with lots of the time working the bare minimum between each shift. Enjoyed working here far more as an associate when there wasn't as much pressure. Staff are generally lovely but sometimes management seem more concerned about bonuses than the staff's wellbeing.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Long unsociable hours
A great place to work
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 March 2017
I started working for wetherspoons part time to go along with my studies. So far it is the best job I have had, everyone works so well together that we're like one big family. The best thing about the job is the amount of different people you meet every single day. The main thing I learnt from the job, apart from pouring a pint, is how important it is to work as a team,.
Pros
Discounts
Good temporary job
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne27 February 2017
The company managers like to employ people under the age of 21. If you are you're much more likely to get a job here. It's worth mentioning the staff turnover is very high.

Should be standard for the trade, but sometimes it can get to you. Sometimes that 11 hours between shifts law seems very, very flexible.
Cons
Late finishes, early mornings
Workplace
Shift Leader Team leader bar associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne27 January 2017
Decent job for someone looking to keep head above water, but don't get any ideas that they will treat you with dignity or respect. High level management treat staff like they are expendable. The people you work with will easily be the best and only pro from working at a wetherspoons.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Poor management, over worked, under paid etc etc
loved working in weatherspoons
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne6 December 2016
i really enjoyed myself working here loved getting to know my co workers learning to make cocktails and pull a pint and the day to day running of a pub
Pros
people
Cons
zero hour contract
Productive and fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne9 August 2016
I highly enjoyed working with the Wetherspoons during my time at the pub in the Metrocentre. I felt quickly accepted into the team and always had a laugh while getting allot of work done. Even though it could sometimes get extremely busy, I always felt work went by fast and working 40 hours every week (something which I wasn't used to) wasn't too bad. The pay was great and I never had any problems with the managers, they always were really pleasant and I could talk to them with ease.
Pros
Discounted food, fast paced work, nice working enviroment
fun work palcement
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne17 July 2016
Working at wetherspoons was amazing,It gave me the opportunity to work more with customers and work colleges. It was really busy all the time and i have learnt how to understand customers when there upset or angry at something that has gone wrong for them.
great
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne20 June 2016
the union rooms is a fantastic pub, located in the centre of Newcastle, its a great place to work. the management are amazing, the team I work with are great too
Fun and Productive Place
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 March 2016
Typical day at Wetherspoons is busy as well as enjoyable. I learned how to pull pints - its not as easy as you think and how this environment is different to Primark. Management and co-workers are brilliant, no cliques just overall banter.

hardest part of the job is the hours not being available until a week before they are to be worked.

staff bonus paid monthly.
Pros
staff discounts on shift, bonus every month basically
Cons
hours can vary weekly, hard to make plans
Productive and fun work place
Chef Assistant - The Five Swans (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 February 2016
Could be one of the busiest days and you could still have a laugh with all the team. Always learning new things each day.
Make loads of new friends who become your best friends as well as your team members.
Great! The bonuses arent bad either
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG3 February 2016
A typical day at work at JDWetherspoons is sort of busy, sort of quiet. It isnt too demanding, pressure wise yet the staff and management are always lively, happy and laughing with each other as well as customers. The hardest part of the job is the whole not knowing shifts until the week before.

BIG BONUSES EVERY MONTH!!
Pros
50% off lunches on shift, bonus every month
Cons
dont know shifts until week before
worst job to date!
bar staff (Former Employee) –  newcastle16 October 2015
Worst job ever and I've worked in 2 different wetherspoons! The first wetherspoons was horrific, deputy manager instantly took a dislike to me (I'd barely said hello on my first day and she was horrible) but I did manage to keep day shifts as I couldn't get home due to public transport on a night time. Then i started uni and moved pubs as a new one opened near my student accommodation. This was equally dreadful. Bad management and a clear divide between the managers and staff. Most staff on a close had to get taxis home especially on a weekend when sometimes we wouldn't get out the pub until 3 or 4am. The wages barely cover the cost of a taxi. Management staff are shockingly bad. The way you get treated is ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here even if you just need a part time job. Please apply somewhere else for your own sanity!
Pros
discount on the food
Cons
Long hours, ridiculous rotas and shifts
fun
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG1 October 2015
good place to work if your at university, not so sure about the hours when you have your own home to run and bills to pay at least with uni you get your student loans and accommodation discounted
Pros
discount on shift
Cons
zero hour contracts
great place to work
Bar associate- service cutomers (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG30 January 2015
great place to work if you would like a career in hospitality and want to progress within a company.
training is good and very to the book
excellent also for extra monies for students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.