J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in Manchester

fun workplace fast paced
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 January 2018
fast paced different tasks from serving food to serving hot and cold beverages. meeting pub targets on food and alcohol maintaining health and safety.
Productive workpalce
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Manchester29 August 2017
Very busy environment but the other members of the team help you get through the day with a smile on your face. Only bad thing I would say are the holidays, very hard to get time off.
Fun workplace
Bar Associate/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 August 2017
The staff are what makes coming to work worth it. You have to do quite a bit for only a little amount of money. the people you work with and the management are great. but the company isn't
No work/life balance - Poor quality
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester17 July 2017
The management is very very poor, and treat staff very badly. The stock is not looked after, the food is not fresh, the company is abismal. I would never consider working for Wetherspoon again
Pros
Cons
Unsociable hours for no extra pay, very basic wage and benefits, poor management.
Okay, depending
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  South Manchester27 June 2017
Working part-time offered me flexibility to study effectively; pay isn't ideal but it keeps you afloat if you put in the work. Management were usually pretty good and the workplace friendships were great too.
Pros
Discounted food and drink
Cons
Long hours for closes
Good place to work short term
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 June 2017
As it was so busy it is a hard job to do long term, but the staff were all very social and the training program was good as it was online and informative. The pay was okay, with the chance to progress was training was complete
Pros
well paid and social
Cons
long shifts and very busy
Fun workplace
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester2 June 2017
Good work opportunity where skills essential for the workplace can be learnt, honed and put into practise. A fun atmosphere with good benefits and charming individuals.
Excellent workplace, difficult management
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester26 May 2017
Whilst working there I looked forward to every shift until problems with my mental health had become an issue whilst working there. Management are not trained on how to support workers with such a problem and thus prompted me to leave. I am also owed two months worth of tips still.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, discounts on the food.
Cons
Mental wellbeing is a struggle.
You get out what you put in.
Pub manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 May 2017
Very hard work, but committed and driven employees are well rewarded through training and progression! Good fun environment, however very targets and results driven at the top can prove demanding and often goes uacknowledged
Pros
Internal progression
Good training
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Manchester and todmorden28 April 2017
Good company great training and bonuses long hours sometimes unrewarding each pub varies but a reasonable company to start out a career with but would recommend moving around to gain more knowledge
Pros
Free meals/50% discount free shares
Cons
Long shift, sometimes no break
Horrible and Unfriendly
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester8 August 2016
I did not enjoyed working in this establishment. The management, long hours, and salary were miserable.
Pros
Cons
Everything you can imagine
Enjoyable team
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Manchester20 April 2016
The team within which you work plays a large role in job satisfaction in this company, the right team makes for a nice shift.
Relaxed management, fast paced environment
Bar Maid/ Waitress (Former Employee) –  Manchester11 April 2016
The management where very relaxed. I did not always receive enough hours but there was plenty of other shifts that could be covered although often last minute.
Pros
half price meals on shift
Cons
Unsociable hours
Good wages but hours not suitable for a student.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester City Centre1 February 2016
I would highly recommend Wetherspoons as a job for someone who has the time to dedicate solely to work. As a university student i found it very difficult to manage the busy work hours with my studies.
Pros
Good wage, plenty of benefits and loyalties.
Cons
Long, hard shifts
Fast Paced, Challenging Environment
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG7 January 2016
The Hardest part of the job is keeping up with the lunch time rushes and memorising the menu in order to be as efficient as possible. It has taught me self reliance because of the expectancy to work short periods on your own. The most enjoyable part of the job is the not knowing what each day is going to bring.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
Zero Hours Contract
Very fast paced and stressful, but fun.
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG4 December 2015
When working at JD Wetherspoons, i learnt alot of things. As my first job i was hit hard with the amount of work which was expected. It was very fast paced as the place i worked at was the busiest Wetherspoons in the country. I learned how to cook a few meals and how to keep the kitchen clean and presentable. I learned how to cope under pressure and take other peoples opinions into consideration. The management wasnt very good as i was a new employee and i had never worked in this type of environment before and i wasnt really taught anything until about my 4th shift. I was expected to work at a fast pace and do things without being told to, which i did once i was told what is expected of me. I thought i wasnt treated very well in this job as the other employees didnt try and teach me anything and i found myself washing pots the majority of the time. The hardest part of the job was to be waking up at 5am to get to work for half 6 am. The most enjoyed part of the job was cooking meals, i really enjoyed preparing the meals for the customers and i thought i got quite good at doing so.
Pros
50% off food when working, 25% off food when not working.
Cons
Terrible hours for my age considering i have college as well as work, they gave me 27 hours work one week and this lead to me not having any social life.
First job
Bar associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester11 September 2015
I got my first paid job at my local wetherspoon pub. First of all, I was asked to travel over 90 minutes away for a 'paid' induction, which i never received payment for. My first month working there was fine, then it all began to go downhill. I was regularly called to cover shifts when other staff were sick, however the favour was not returned. I was left on the bar on my own on busy weekends, as other staff members were too busy talking to either other back of house. I was asked to work an extra 5 hours after a 6 hour shift with no break,which also resulted in me missing the last bus home as it was a weekday, and also said I needed to go early but wasn't allowed until the last customer had left. I was also asked if I would like to do kitchen and bar cross training which I agreed to, yet I was never offered any training. Overall, the main thing I enjoyed about the job was the staff I worked with, and the fact that I was payed weekly.
Pros
Paid weekly, higher pay than minimum wage
Cons
Unsociable, manager was unwilling to assist with queries
Stability
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester3 June 2015
Working at wetherspoons offers a quick fix in terms of employment, you have the regular income the hours never change too much in terms of how many you expect to work, They can be very considerate for your needs. The pay is OK (enough too survive off) and the progression opportunities are there, but you don't find yourself having a balance of work and life. your life does literally become all about spoons.
Pros
50% off on shift, 20% off any other time, bonuses, great people
Cons
long hours, varied shifts
Great benefits long workng week
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG17 March 2015
48 hour working week but usually consists of 54+ hours. the job has helped me progress in many different ways and as helped me grow into a successful kitchen manager. the company has a high turn over rate which makes development and training difficult. The job is very high paced which is an environment I thrive in
Pros
good bonus system, good pay and free managment food
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  manchester21 August 2014
busy working environment meeting new people everyday good atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8