J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in London

Found 96 reviews matching the search See all 1,852 reviews
A different way of life
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London7 January 2019
Great client face to face experience along with uncapped earning, however long hours and weekend work involved, fantastic work colleagues always willing to help.
Great
Team Leader - Bar (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 December 2018
Love working here. Always a great team, great managers, great customers. can always have a laugh. never feels like a chore to get up and go to work thier.
A good option for students
cross-trained associate (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 December 2018
As a student, I find working for this company helpful. The money is higher than it would be in other bars, however, there is no tip. The staff in my pub is friendly, and the life-work balance is not bad. :) But I don't plan to stay in hospitality after I finished my studies.
Pros
Good work atmosohere
Cons
Have to work about 40 hours per week to make a living
regimented
Manager at various sites (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2018
every day is more or less set out for each member of staff.the company itself has a strict set of guide lines which all staff are expected to follow.it is a company that focuses on customer services and experience as a priority
Pros
free lunches at management level
Cons
very long hours
if u like smell of a beer its a perfect place for u
Bartender/team leader (Former Employee) –  London14 October 2018
easy going,fun place to work and find a new friends
good for students to earn some money
good rota evening or evening shifts
good customer service is a must
It’s flexible but poor conditions
Team leader (Former Employee) –  London3 September 2018
It’s okay if you’re looking for flexible working hours over uni. However this is a small benefit considering low pay, almost illegally short breaks (if you get one) and unsociable working hours including Christmas and new year. Not to mention abuse from customers and management. Still your colleagues make it bareable - after all you can all laugh about being in the same boat!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
productive and fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
I really enjoy working here it gets very busy but the team makes it very fun to work. The hours you get are rota based therefore, you do different shifts every week
Wetherspoons Review
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
I learned how to manage an extremely busy pub that sometimes had angry customers. This has been an invaluable experience for my hospitality work in the future. I quickly picked up the bar staff work ethic. I enjoyed serving customers at the Mossy Well.
Fun depending on your pub
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
I’ve worked at 4 different spoons and the staff really make a difference. Good place to work if you want experience in bar work because the customers are often friendly and have patience, not very sociable hours as you can leave work at 4am sometimes.
Pros
Discounts and bonuses
Cons
Managers aren’t very helpful
Ok
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 April 2018
Its a ok company to start with, but it gives you an idea on how to deal with difficult customers. staff training is all in house and very inconsistence and main focus seems to be based on what the company wants without hearing staff or customers.
Pros
50% off food dureing work hours
Cons
low pay
Un ambiente bueno entre trabajadores.
ayudante de cocina (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Londres1 March 2018
Muy buen ambiente.
Aprendes muchas cosas y es facil trabajar.
Great
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2018
A typical day at work is very fast paced and fun. I have learnt a lot from JD Wetherspoon and they have taught me many of my management skills and customer skills communication skills. The management are good and they listen to your needs. They also offer good management course of which I have been on most of them. The hardest art of the job is dealing with drunk and aggressive customers on occasions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship groups you make, they get you through the day.
Pros
Free Food when working and Monthly bonus if your pub is doing well
Cons
Long and Late Hours
Negative environment very little pay
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 January 2018
In my experience this company pays very little for what is expected of you.
Management including pub and area managers have so much on their plate that even if they were nice people they do not have time to care about anything but trying to cut hours and increase income to the pub
okay workplace
floor/bar staff (Former Employee) –  London27 January 2018
An average pub working environment, senior staff were sometimes inappropriate, e.g. favouritism, gossiping etc but nothing out of the ordinary for majority of work environments.
Productive and fun workplace
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London25 January 2018
If speaking specifically about Wetherespoons 'The Gateclock' that was the most fun job I have ever had. The team stays together, works together and stay friends after work. If there is ever any problem during work the team always aims to help. Working with the whole team and having such a great rapport we aimed for our goals to improve the pub and achieved very well. Best job I have had so far even if I've worked as a broker before. Excellent team, with such a team there is always happiness!
Pros
Team, teamwork, enojying work
Cons
Copper tables
fun place
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 November 2017
worked for them for 15 years there were good and bad times but overall i really enjoyed my time. Area managers not all need to be looked at as you really need to understand the needs for the business and how people are dealt with.
Pros
team work
fun workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2017
You can learn everything you need to know great from beginners in catering. It's a good company if you want to progress and don't want age to be a problem, lots of areas to train in and it's a big company to be able to move around with.
Very enjoyably atmosphere
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London17 November 2017
During my time at this company i learned how to handle cash really well and how to properly use a till. Working here taught me how to handle people better no matter the situation and has given me overall confidence, especially when it comes to approaching people and speaking up when i feel a need to. Management was always kind and helpful, i felt like i could always talk to them if need be. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the time spent getting to know the regular customers, it was really nice and refreshing walking into work with them going out there way to say hello to you or to tell you about their day. the workplace was never a dull moment as there were so many different personalities and characters working with me, you can always have a laugh when needed however, when it came to getting the job done everyone would buckle down and work together.
Pros
Very flexible around my uni timetable. out of work food discounts
In general good work, friendly staff good discount and bonus
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  london6 November 2017
In general good work,Im leave this company because im change the house but i want keep in this company its hard work but I like keep active and learning the news menus
Pros
Good bonus and discounts
Cons
Diferent sifts around the week
Work Hard,Pay Well
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2017
Brilliant 18 years of hard work, great results and excellent friendships. Definitely NOT a 9-5 job, it is a lifestyle. Fabulous if you have no ties or commitments but difficult to juggle full time with a family.
Pros
Good pay, training, career prospects
Cons
long hours and commitment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.