J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in London

Found 91 reviews matching the search See all 1,782 reviews
if u like smell of a beer its a perfect place for u
Bartender/team leader (Former Employee) –  London14 October 2018
easy going,fun place to work and find a new friends
good for students to earn some money
good rota evening or evening shifts
good customer service is a must
It’s flexible but poor conditions
Team leader (Former Employee) –  London3 September 2018
It’s okay if you’re looking for flexible working hours over uni. However this is a small benefit considering low pay, almost illegally short breaks (if you get one) and unsociable working hours including Christmas and new year. Not to mention abuse from customers and management. Still your colleagues make it bareable - after all you can all laugh about being in the same boat!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
productive and fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
I really enjoy working here it gets very busy but the team makes it very fun to work. The hours you get are rota based therefore, you do different shifts every week
Fun depending on your pub
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
I’ve worked at 4 different spoons and the staff really make a difference. Good place to work if you want experience in bar work because the customers are often friendly and have patience, not very sociable hours as you can leave work at 4am sometimes.
Pros
Discounts and bonuses
Cons
Managers aren’t very helpful
Ok
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 April 2018
Its a ok company to start with, but it gives you an idea on how to deal with difficult customers. staff training is all in house and very inconsistence and main focus seems to be based on what the company wants without hearing staff or customers.
Pros
50% off food dureing work hours
Cons
low pay
Un ambiente bueno entre trabajadores.
ayudante de cocina (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Londres1 March 2018
Muy buen ambiente.
Aprendes muchas cosas y es facil trabajar.
Great
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2018
A typical day at work is very fast paced and fun. I have learnt a lot from JD Wetherspoon and they have taught me many of my management skills and customer skills communication skills. The management are good and they listen to your needs. They also offer good management course of which I have been on most of them. The hardest art of the job is dealing with drunk and aggressive customers on occasions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship groups you make, they get you through the day.
Pros
Free Food when working and Monthly bonus if your pub is doing well
Cons
Long and Late Hours
Negative environment very little pay
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 January 2018
In my experience this company pays very little for what is expected of you.
Management including pub and area managers have so much on their plate that even if they were nice people they do not have time to care about anything but trying to cut hours and increase income to the pub
okay workplace
floor/bar staff (Former Employee) –  London27 January 2018
An average pub working environment, senior staff were sometimes inappropriate, e.g. favouritism, gossiping etc but nothing out of the ordinary for majority of work environments.
Productive and fun workplace
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London25 January 2018
If speaking specifically about Wetherespoons 'The Gateclock' that was the most fun job I have ever had. The team stays together, works together and stay friends after work. If there is ever any problem during work the team always aims to help. Working with the whole team and having such a great rapport we aimed for our goals to improve the pub and achieved very well. Best job I have had so far even if I've worked as a broker before. Excellent team, with such a team there is always happiness!
Pros
Team, teamwork, enojying work
Cons
Copper tables
fun place
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 November 2017
worked for them for 15 years there were good and bad times but overall i really enjoyed my time. Area managers not all need to be looked at as you really need to understand the needs for the business and how people are dealt with.
Pros
team work
fun workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2017
You can learn everything you need to know great from beginners in catering. It's a good company if you want to progress and don't want age to be a problem, lots of areas to train in and it's a big company to be able to move around with.
Very enjoyably atmosphere
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London17 November 2017
During my time at this company i learned how to handle cash really well and how to properly use a till. Working here taught me how to handle people better no matter the situation and has given me overall confidence, especially when it comes to approaching people and speaking up when i feel a need to. Management was always kind and helpful, i felt like i could always talk to them if need be. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the time spent getting to know the regular customers, it was really nice and refreshing walking into work with them going out there way to say hello to you or to tell you about their day. the workplace was never a dull moment as there were so many different personalities and characters working with me, you can always have a laugh when needed however, when it came to getting the job done everyone would buckle down and work together.
Pros
Very flexible around my uni timetable. out of work food discounts
In general good work, friendly staff good discount and bonus
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  london6 November 2017
In general good work,Im leave this company because im change the house but i want keep in this company its hard work but I like keep active and learning the news menus
Pros
Good bonus and discounts
Cons
Diferent sifts around the week
Work Hard,Pay Well
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2017
Brilliant 18 years of hard work, great results and excellent friendships. Definitely NOT a 9-5 job, it is a lifestyle. Fabulous if you have no ties or commitments but difficult to juggle full time with a family.
Pros
Good pay, training, career prospects
Cons
long hours and commitment
Poor money, abusive customers
Cross Trained Associate (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2017
You really shouldn't work for Wetherspoons. They do not pay anywhere near enough and the protocol to protect staff doesn't even exist. But customers can lie and complain and they get believed before you even if you have evidence.
Pros
It's a big name so the training is ok
Cons
Tolerable as a part time job during education or other
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2017
I've worked there for quite a while and there's a lot to talk about, so I'll structure this based on the different rating criteria.

The work/life balance I found was rather poor. Even on days off it is very frequent to be called in due to a fellow member of staff to call in sick/not come in for any reason or other. The hours are frequently unsociable and not consistent. You will be expected to do closes one week or day and then open up in the morning the next. There is no such thing as a holiday. Bank holidays, Christmas, Summer breaks do not apply. I found I mostly socialised with other people working at Wetherspoons while working there.

Salary is very close to minimal wages with monthly and Christmas bonuses possible, but only if targets are met, the likelihood of which varies pub to pub. The three pubs I worked at had very low bonuses. There is a pension scheme in place, as well as shares distributed for long-term staff. That said they cannot be sold for staff which haven't worked there for a few years, which is a rare occurrence. I should mention a 50% food discount on shift and 25% off as a benefit. This is 100% for managers.

Job security is reasonable, based on my experience, only wildly unreliable staff were let go, even then, numerous warnings were given. Managerial positions are recruited from within, giving possibility of advancement. A determined individual can advance to a team leader position in as little as 3-4 months. Managers are promoted after a few years, with various levels and pay scales.

Management varies wildly. In general, you would be expected
  more... to work or occupy yourself for the entirety of your shift, whether it is serving customers when available or organising various fridges, stocking up displays, or cleaning at other times.

I should add at this point the customers are the sort you would expect in the cheapest pub chain. A thick skin and ability to deal with rude, drunk people is a necessity.
Pros
Monthly and Christmas bonuses if targets are met
Cons
Low pay, frequently rude customers, no free food, taxed tips
A Strong and Healthy Culture
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 September 2017
The IT Department preaches and practices continuous improvement. A lot of time is spent on communication and successful problem solving. A culture that focuses on improving people.
Hard wok but rewarding
Bar Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  London29 August 2017
Like any bar job you are required to work long unsociable hours however everyone you work with is in the same boat, so your social life revolves around them, this helps maintain a work life balance, obviously JDW keep standards high and prices low, this basically means you work hard and don't stop working, but everyone knows this when they sign up.
Good opportunities, culture not great
UNIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 June 2017
Salary and career prospects were good and work life balance not the worst in the industry but the culture was very dog eat dog. Managers always looking over their shoulder and worried about being sacked.
Pros
Salary and career prospects
Cons
Not much fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.