J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in London

Very enjoyably atmosphere
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London17 November 2017
During my time at this company i learned how to handle cash really well and how to properly use a till. Working here taught me how to handle people better no matter the situation and has given me overall confidence, especially when it comes to approaching people and speaking up when i feel a need to. Management was always kind and helpful, i felt like i could always talk to them if need be. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the time spent getting to know the regular customers, it was really nice and refreshing walking into work with them going out there way to say hello to you or to tell you about their day. the workplace was never a dull moment as there were so many different personalities and characters working with me, you can always have a laugh when needed however, when it came to getting the job done everyone would buckle down and work together.
Pros
Very flexible around my uni timetable. out of work food discounts
Work Hard,Pay Well
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2017
Brilliant 18 years of hard work, great results and excellent friendships. Definitely NOT a 9-5 job, it is a lifestyle. Fabulous if you have no ties or commitments but difficult to juggle full time with a family.
Pros
Good pay, training, career prospects
Cons
long hours and commitment
Tolerable as a part time job during education or other
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2017
I've worked there for quite a while and there's a lot to talk about, so I'll structure this based on the different rating criteria.

The work/life balance I found was rather poor. Even on days off it is very frequent to be called in due to a fellow member of staff to call in sick/not come in for any reason or other. The hours are frequently unsociable and not consistent. You will be expected to do closes one week or day and then open up in the morning the next. There is no such thing as a holiday. Bank holidays, Christmas, Summer breaks do not apply. I found I mostly socialised with other people working at Wetherspoons while working there.

Salary is very close to minimal wages with monthly and Christmas bonuses possible, but only if targets are met, the likelihood of which varies pub to pub. The three pubs I worked at had very low bonuses. There is a pension scheme in place, as well as shares distributed for long-term staff. That said they cannot be sold for staff which haven't worked there for a few years, which is a rare occurrence. I should mention a 50% food discount on shift and 25% off as a benefit. This is 100% for managers.

Job security is reasonable, based on my experience, only wildly unreliable staff were let go, even then, numerous warnings were given. Managerial positions are recruited from within, giving possibility of advancement. A determined individual can advance to a team leader position in as little as 3-4 months. Managers are promoted after a few years, with various levels and pay scales.

Management varies wildly. In general, you would be expected
  more... to work or occupy yourself for the entirety of your shift, whether it is serving customers when available or organising various fridges, stocking up displays, or cleaning at other times.

I should add at this point the customers are the sort you would expect in the cheapest pub chain. A thick skin and ability to deal with rude, drunk people is a necessity.
Pros
Monthly and Christmas bonuses if targets are met
Cons
Low pay, frequently rude customers, no free food, taxed tips
A Strong and Healthy Culture
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 September 2017
The IT Department preaches and practices continuous improvement. A lot of time is spent on communication and successful problem solving. A culture that focuses on improving people.
Hard wok but rewarding
Bar Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  London29 August 2017
Like any bar job you are required to work long unsociable hours however everyone you work with is in the same boat, so your social life revolves around them, this helps maintain a work life balance, obviously JDW keep standards high and prices low, this basically means you work hard and don't stop working, but everyone knows this when they sign up.
Good opportunities, culture not great
UNIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 June 2017
Salary and career prospects were good and work life balance not the worst in the industry but the culture was very dog eat dog. Managers always looking over their shoulder and worried about being sacked.
Pros
Salary and career prospects
Cons
Not much fun.
A decent first Job
Bar and floor staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 June 2017
A typical day would consist of serving drinks and helping floor staff clean up tables.

I learned a lot regarding how a bar is run, what the rules of wastage are and how to efficiently organize myself.

The management at my particular pub relied on my co-workers to train me, whilst I was able to quickly learn what to do, there were many things I did not know and well into my fifth week there, I was still asking my coworkers for help. This does not mean all Wetherspoons pubs are like this because the pub down the road had much better training for its staff.

The hardest part of the job was closing, one thing you are not told is that you stop being payed after 1am, therefore you have to ensure the bar is clean and ready for the next day as quickly as possible.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the clients, they were always interesting, friendly and fun to talk to.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Disorganized management, poor training
Student Job
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 May 2017
Good for a student Job whilst studying, not much else.
Easy work, yet can get very boring, pretty easy going but some management issues that lead to disorganisation.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Customer facetime
Fun and exciting place, with great social scene!
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  London16 May 2017
I really enjoyed working in a pub, the staff were fantastic and the customer, although could be trying at times, overall were brilliant! I learnt a lot about dealing with the public, how to manage certain tricky situations, handling money. And I also management skills such as delegation of work, managing people, and dealing with external contractors being on site. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed working in the pub environment, but I was looking for something that gave a bit more back for the effort I was putting in.
Pros
Social element, friendly staff/customers, enjoyable work
Cons
Not much bang for your buck, sometimes overtook social time.
pub work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 May 2017
Great place to meet new friends, however the job was never really for me. I worked here during my university course and there was always more hours available for me when needed/ asked for. All in all, varies pub to pub but a good place to work.
Pros
50% Off food when on shift
Cons
Unsociable hours
JD Wetherspoons
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 April 2017
Great training scheme for management, a full training through all aspects of pub management.
Work / life balance could be better but that's the nature of the pub trade.

Great social skills are required and often a cool head.
Pros
Best training, good incentives
Cons
Long hours, dealing with incidents
Long and tiring
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 April 2017
Shifts within the company are long and the benefits don't necessarily make up for it. Progression in some places can be slow and you will loose the ability to have a social life apart from your colleagues
fine for now
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  London24 April 2017
It was good for a job to just 'get by' with. Opportunities for career progression and good discount. experiences vary from pub to pub but if you get a good manager you should be fine.
Fun experience but long hours
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London21 April 2017
I joined Wetherspoons after I left Brighton University to get some money for the summer. I really enjoyed the staff members that also worked there and I had a good work life / social life balance. However, there was poor management and some issues with other memebers of staff that I remember. It is a good work place if you want to earn quick money but I would not want to stay there for longer than I have to.
Pros
50% off food on duty
Social and great environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London, UK17 April 2017
Bar duties including serving customers, tidying the bar and help with any other non complete tasks available. The job taught me how to multitask and better my people skills immensely. Added to which, the culture was very fast paced and stressful but all the bar staff had great relationships and team working ability so we could fulfill our job to its best capacity. Mentally , the most difficult part was dealing with certain complaints brought up by customers, and physically the changing of beer/ ale barrels onto the racks. Despite these difficulties, the most enjoyable part was the relationships you build with regular customers and the other staff along with making some interesting drinks. Those attributes made the job much easier.
Pros
food discount
Cons
Very long hours
Very fast moving organisation
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Watford, UK12 April 2017
Excellent opportunities tyo work in a very progressive company. Clearly the model works and creates a brand instantly recognisable and instantly understood.
Fun
Waistress/team leader (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 March 2017
- Team leader on the floor. I was in control of the shifts that I was working on. leading the team equally sharing roles such as serving food, co ordinating, cleaning tables and meeting the needs of customers.
Pros
Local
Cons
Late shifts
Ambiente de trabajo divertido y bebidas gratis
Jefe de Cocina (Former Employee) –  Londres18 February 2017
Ambiente divertido con los compañeros, buena formación con lo cual se aprender muchas cosas de como funcionar en cocina grande.
La parte más difícil es el trabajar bajo mucha presión debido a la gran cantidad de pedidos.
Pros
Descuentos y facilidad de promoción y movilidad a otros restarutantes
Cons
dificultad a la hora de compaginar tu vida privada con el trabajo
Depends on your pub
Bar Staff and Kitchen (Former Employee) –  London16 February 2017
I had a great experience with wetherspoons but since leaving I have heard negative feedback from many people. The hourly wage in my London local has dropped by over a pound as well. However I had a good experience
busy role
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  london and Cornwall20 January 2017
I learnt all you would need to know about running a busy public house. Staff recriuitmnent and training, rota planning , budget managment.
I left as I was becoming frustrated with the way the company focus was changing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8