J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in Liverpool

Negative
Associate member (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside25 April 2018
Poor management, ageism culture, long hours sometimes without a break to meet the needs of customers rather than ensuring the staff have some food and a rest.

One good thing I will say is good bonuses can be earned often and if you want to progress then you can rather fast.
Pros
50% off food, family and friends discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of care towards staff from managemnt
Happy workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool7 November 2017
A typical day at work in Wetherspoons would be a busy and fast paced environment, eg footbal match days, ensuring all customers were served professionally and in a timely manner. I would describe the workplace mentality as a harmonious one, taking on the task presented with a welcoming approach and a sense of humour. I learned that team work is essential in working in a pub environment, ie- someone to fill up ice dumps, someone to do replenish stock and toilet checks, for example. The most enjoyable part of the job is building a rapport with customers, local and new and making new friends with your fellow colleagues. The hardest part of the job is, for example, when a member of staff has called in sick or if not enough staff have been delegated for a shift, meaning you would have to put the extra effort in.
dont bother
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 October 2017
It's stressful and youre lucky to have a manager downstairs helping with complaints, as there is always complaints. Large amounts of staff mean lots of gossip
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Busy
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside26 August 2017
The environment is fun to work in however it can be extremely busy so not ideal for shy people as it can be intimidating.
Waiting on is okay, the system they use is easy to follow and once you get to grips with the table system it's really easy.
They are very keen on health and safety and I was made to watch many health and safety videos
Pros
Fun
Cons
Hectic
A secure job to the point you're fine doing no hours and weekends.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside5 August 2017
I've worked with the company for 2 years now, and i can tell you there's a few things wrong about working for the company despite a very few actual good things about it. Usually the staff are great and you get along with them but when it comes to the hours they will mess you around. You can go from doing 30 hours a week to 16 and maybe less depending on your contract, and your shifts will be around 5 hours long so they don't have to pay for your breaks. The new 20% staff discount is a great addition but it's not even close to compensating what you have to put up with. As soon as they know you can do weekends, it's likely all you'll ever work, and it's usually till 2-3am (Wetherspoons) 3-4am (Lloyds Bar). So i suppose great for night owls.
Pros
Staff discount on hotels drinks and food (20%)
Cons
Bad hours, Usual late shifts, No consistency.
Fun work place
Chef (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside5 June 2017
Fun and challenging role with many different rewards and diffrences between each day, friendly environment with possibility for strong progression through diligence
Pros
discounts on meals
Cons
Odd working patterns
Hard work, Long hours and poor pay
Bar Staff and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside31 March 2017
I worked here for a year because I set myself a goal to fund the trip of a lifetime. At the time, I didn't think it was too bad, being my first job, but having worked in various other jobs since then, I've realised how bad it was. It's good for socialising and meeting new people but for the most part, you're run off your feet fulfilling customer's orders.
It is usually very flexible with hours as there's normally a large team of staff who work various shifts so you can usually get somebody to cover etc, but I wouldn't say there's much satisfaction or down-time in this job at all.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Working until late and very very busy weekends.
Rewarding place with good prospects
Role - Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside26 January 2017
Job has really good prospects if you want to progress in this industry with excellent management support. Good communication on all levels and generally good place to work with good training provided.
Spoons family
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside18 January 2017
The shift patterns are usually always great and very flexible around other jobs or university.

Didn't have much pub experience when I started, only nightclub, but was trained very quickly and impressively. Picked up new skills very fast.

Staff are lovely and easy to get along with, very easy going place.

Hardest part of the job is trying to squeeze past customers on a busy night with hot plates, or rush hour on food but if you have a good team on then it's wonderful.

The most enjoyable part of the job is a Sunday morning when it's quiet or the end of the night where we all sit around a tall table and talk about the funny things that have happened in work recently.
Pros
It's banter, good work place, nice job
Cons
Not always enough hours
Productive workplace with fantastic progression opportunities.
Bar Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Liverpool/Lincoln28 December 2016
JD Wetherspoon is a great company to work for with many opportunities for staff to progress. Homegrown management means managers have done the work and have experience in all members of the company.

Brilliant place to work as a student.
Pros
50% off food while on shift.
Cons
Hours available to staff are limited.
Excellent
Floor associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool11 October 2016
Brilliant company to work for , just need more hours , friendly staff, good atmosphere, good rate of pay, good team working business, everybody is helpful
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Need more hours
Do not work here
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool13 September 2016
Bad management and no job security. Long hours, late nights (11 hour shifts until 2am) and always short staffed. The only redeeming feature is that everyone gets paid the same wage. The staff are friendly and hardworking but never appreciated.
Pros
Everyone gets paid the national living wage
Cons
Everything Else
Good for gaining experience and nothing else
Bar Staff/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Liverpool21 August 2016
Worst job I've ever had like others have said they's bulling was all kind of wrong was forced to leave words can't express how bad my time here was here hours were worse.
Pros
Experience
Cons
everything else
Good, fun place to work
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool28 June 2016
Always busy, never a moment to rest. I picked up a lot of great new skills in this job. Never did I think I would enjoy cooking, I learned a fair few new tricks for cooking quick meals and I really enjoyed my time here. The management were fantastic and even socialised outside of work a fair bit. My co-workers were also brilliant, we always managed to have a laugh, even when other things in life were difficult. The hardest part of my job was overcoming my nerves and realising that I was actually doing well in my job.
Pros
Fast paced, fun, could work as much as we wanted
Cons
Late nights and early starts took some getting used to
Stressful but rewarding
Bar associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool16 April 2016
Although you may see the staff in wetherspoons lounge about or walk around slowly etc. You do not understand the level of stress and business that you are under. The pub can be understaffed at peak times and over-staffed at dead times. You may get 20+ hours one week and receive one measly 5 hour shift the next. It is an unpredictable work place and isn't good for people with a lot of responsibilities as you could find yourself staying after a close until 3am. I would take on this job being a student with no responsibility as it is easy money and you also get paid weekly which is ideal. But for a long term job I would not recommend you work here unless you want constant stress, 10+ shifts every day and poor management of staff.
Pros
50% off food during break and 20% when off
Cons
Long hours, constantly moving, constant stress and complaining customers
Worst place I ever worked for! Dont ever work for Weatherspoons!
Bar staff (Former Employee) –  Liverpool2 October 2015
I worked for this company a good few years ago. I wasn't expecting a great salary, job satisfaction, sociable hours etc...I knew it would be an unsatisfying job with little benefits...but I took the job as I needed money.
The staff seemed pretty nice, but the managers where not just terrible at management...but they were the most vile people I have ever encountered! We weren't allowed to share tills with team members whilst on shift, but one day the pub was so busy that when my team member could not access her till, I let her share mine for about 15 minutes (there were no problems or till discrepancies so the management should have been happy we kept the customers happy and kept everything up to speed). Instead, I had the management screaming in my face in front of customers. It was that aggressive that a customer made a formal complaint because he said I was clearly verbally assaulted.
There are far TOO many bad examples to give. The day I decided to quit, was after I finished a late closing shift. After finishing stacking chairs, stocking up, cleaning etc...it was pretty late and I had a shift first thing in the morning. My manager on at that time said I could not leave until she finished her paperwork, even though that was nothing to do with me and I had to be back very early. She made me just sit and wait for her to finish her paperwork which took a few hours. I left at 4am and I was meant to be back in at 8am. Its illegal to have so little hours between shifts, but they don't care...you're just another cog in their machine. They're logic is, you're very easily replacable
  more... so they'll over work you, underpay you and treat you like scum.
You must notice that Weatherspoons are ALWAYS employing people...because no one wants to stay working for them for long!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!
Pros
Quitting
fun and entertaining job
Associate (Former Employee) –  liverpool22 September 2015
it was a lively high pressure environment which i personally believe i thrived in. always meeting new people and doing new things. one day serving the bar the next waiting on and handling the food prep. it was brilliant.
Pros
great team mates
Cons
long shifts
Productive company but no atmosphere.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kirkby, Liverpool31 July 2015
Although Wetherspoons is a highly productive company; it isnt a company that I would work for again. This was due to the fact that the atmosphere wasnt great; some of the staff would sooner stab you in the back; and not everyone worked as part of a team.
Pros
Discount. Experience.
Cons
Nastiness. Back stabbing. Being spoken to like dirt.
An okay company
Team Leader and Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG9 January 2014
You meet a lot of interesting people and make some great friends, however there is relatively little job safety and guaranteed hours - even supervisor roles, such as team and shift leaders are on relatively low paid, 0 hour contracts.
Pros
Meet a lot of people
Cons
Poor renumeration
dont care about staff
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG9 October 2013
extremely long hours no bonuses very stresssful and different staff always coming and going

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.