J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Just horrible.
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 December 2017
Get treated like rubbish expected to work long hours breaks have to be begged for management have favourites and no hope of promotion unless you suck up.
Busy pub
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Central birmingham24 October 2017
I enjoyed my job but found i had to work long hours to get a decent amount of money and had to work until 12 am
The management team were heĺpful in the beginning but there was a high turnover of staff
poor
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham8 July 2017
If you like cocaine drinking bullying hardwork with little recognition then this is the job for you if not stay well clear. Managment are poorly trained but have very aggressive and arrogant veiws.
life
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 June 2017
I feel working in hospitality was essential. I enjoyed my time here they taught me basic life skills and I wont forget what i have learned here. nice food, a lot of business always something to do.
I recommend any young person to work for weatherperson although the managers at some pubs are rube have no manners and pick as well as use you they are a good company overall.
Monotonous no job satisfaction
Shift/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK23 March 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was clocking of. The work culture left a lot to be desired, not what I was used to. Monotony was a typical part of the day, usually, disorganized, lack of communication and unnecessary personal requests from managment.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Highly disorganised
fun and social
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 December 2016
Lots of chance for progession, fun environment and social setting. Good supportive management team and a helpful team to work with.
Exciting and Fun
Barista - Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Birmingham31 August 2016
Great place to work with staff always friendly. chances of progression always available and a positive attitude at all times from all staff and customers. Easy hours to suit you and very flexible rota available.
Kitchen Associate, Potwash (Current Employee) –  birmingham28 July 2016
Overall a day at Wetherspoon can not be predicted, the more meals coming through to kitchen the more you have to prepare meals and this is simple enough but to balance this with keeping the kitchen clean, making sure the food is presentable and sent upstairs for bar stasff to present to the customer within 10 minutes of the order coming through.

You get used to the pressures of the job and enjoy the busier shifts, I wouldnt want to leave wetherspoons as it has given me a balance on socialism which is good for me.
Pros
Good Pay, Easy travel to & from home
Cons
not enough hours
Fine
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham13 April 2016
This is a place I enjoy working. It's easy enough hours are flexible. It's just what I need right now.

Co-workers are friendly,
Fun and fast paced workplace
Chef Assistant/Cook (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 October 2015
Always enjoyed working in a kitchen. Always something new to learn. If there was ever any problems there was always a manager to help.
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Heat in the kitchen
great place to work
Not great salaries
decent bonus scheme
Not a career
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham8 June 2015
So I'll start with the positives - that's the staff I work with, being a manager they've always been a pleasure to work with and have some of the hardest guys I've ever worked with me.

Unfortunately the company doesn't reward the staff enough, the company boasts "greats rate of pay" on job advertisements yet most staff are NMW. I don't consider that great. I am a shift manager at the moment working 48 hours a week - normally more - which usually works out to not a very good rate of pay. There is bonus' pay but these are given on unrealistic targets set by the company.

I've worked in bar work for many years now and working until late was never something that bothered me until I worked at JDW as my current management often decides that me and half my staff can work on a close then be in as early as 7am the next morning, when brought this up to area managers nothing was followed upon.

For a part time position whilst at uni, I'm sure it can work well. As a career, definitely not a company I could recommend.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Long shifts, back to back shifts, poor pay
Fun Workplace
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG6 June 2015
Most days consisted of taking food orders, making and serving drinks, glass collecting and washing and consistent checks on hygiene levels in the toilet. The hardest part of the job was making sure orders were served efficiently enough to reduce the queue at the bar. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and, mostly, my co-workers. The clients often engaged in banter and humor with the staff and many were on a first name basis with regular customers.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Late finishes
Sociable workplace
Bar Associate/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Birmingham5 August 2014
Large and busy traditional wetherspoons pub. A typical day would involve taking drink and food orders at the bar, serving customers, promoting new stock and offers.
Pros
Half price lunches, Provides unifrom, Discount on hotels
Cons
Lack of Progression
Fine to work for but was never paid properly
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 July 2014
Everything at the job was fine apart from never being paid. The management was not the best but it wasn't the worst. Most enjoyable part was cooking
Pros
The people
Cons
No pay
Interesting Challenges
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham30 July 2013
Each day is like no other, sales change and unexpected issues always occur. Its always a good challenge to make the day better than the last. It always feels good when you hit good targets and sales exceed expectation. Within the kitchen environment it is full of ups and downs and comes with alot of pressure to increase sales and provide excellent CQSMA and Mega Stock Results. We always strive to be the best.
Pros
Management food, interacting with staff, building friendships
Cons
Long Hours and sometimes unsociable hours.
Productive workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  NEC Birmingham26 April 2013
One of the busiest places ive worked which could make upto £22,000 a day on the busiest of shows but i enjoyed it always prefer being on my toes trying to push sales and making every customer that leaves happy.
Pros
70% on food.
Cons
communication
Productive, busy workplace
Bar Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham3 April 2013
I enjoy interacting with customers,meeting new people as everyday is different
Busy but fun workplace
Bar n resturant staff (Current Employee) –  Birmingham31 May 2012
Working at Wetherspoons had been a benifit to my life. Whilst working at Wetherspoons i have learnt how to deal with customers as much as dealing with cash. I have dealt with customer complaints and refunds. I realy enjoy working ther but feel that there isnt enogh hours there for me to work with. During my time there i met loads of new friends which i now keep in contact with outside of work.
Pros
70% discount
Cons
not constant work