J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Better than most pub companies
General Manager (Former Employee) –  various16 October 2018
Good company to work for but only if your face fits.

Chances for progression are available. Training is great and i hear they are doing a lot more to combat working over your designated hours.
Pros
Free lunch, flexibility in shifts
Cons
Long hours, verbal abuse from custtomers
if u like smell of a beer its a perfect place for u
Bartender/team leader (Former Employee) –  London14 October 2018
easy going,fun place to work and find a new friends
good for students to earn some money
good rota evening or evening shifts
good customer service is a must
Stressful and awful
Cook/Chef (Former Employee) –  Haverfordwest13 October 2018
I wasn't given any training despite being autistic. When I told them I was struggling they told me I was lazy and lying about my autism.
We son a 12 hour contract but was only given 6 hours a week. Genuinely terrible place to work.
Never given a break.
Pros
Cons
Don't honour contracts. Dont care about you
Horrible
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon12 October 2018
Unsociable and constantly changing hours with no set days off, and you are made to feel guilty if you say no when you are asked to cover or swap shifts. They expect you to put Wetherspoons first, and have no life outside of work; not that you could afford to have one anyway.
They promise the world in advancement to management and higher wages but do not keep to it; instead, after your training, they try and get you to do the management jobs on associate pay, and call it "further training".
ALWAYS understaffed, and even legally entitled breaks are rare to get, let alone the longer ones the company promises, and when you do take your legally entitled break, you are made to feel guilty for leaving someone on their own, and are often called back in early and therefore do not get your full break.
This *could* be a very good company to work for, but the management do not care about the staff. Every member is overworked, underpaid, fatigued, and many are on antidepressants just to get through the long, busy, and extremely stressful days.
Pros
20% discount on all Wetherspoons products.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, always understaffed (purposefully), rarely get breaks, "clique" behaviour among certain staff. And many more.
Hated it
Bar and kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Acocks Green, Shirley12 October 2018
Quite often managers would swap/cancel shifts last minute, many times I have been abused or felt uncomfortable by a certain customer in regards to explicit sexual comment and managers didn't care.

As soon as you take a break to have a quick sip of a drink or spoke to a colleague you would have got moaned at to stop slacking and do work.
Pros
discount
Cons
to many to list
Great
Chef (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester11 October 2018
That is a place where you can learn a lot and having fun at the same time!
Fun workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingsbury, Greater London10 October 2018
Working on the bar is easy, fun and interactive. There are a few moments when dealing with customers that can get quite worrying. Overall though, the company is good to work with.
Pros
fun environment, discounted food
Cons
lack of movement upwards, lots of changeover
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Chichester9 October 2018
Loved working with the company.
Great company when working, mainly all got close as friends and made it thought the work together.
Many of the customer were friendly too.
Fun place to work
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, UK8 October 2018
Excellent place to work and the everyone is friendly and very welcoming the only bad thing I can think of is no free meals but they do offer 50% discount on purchases.
Pros
People
Cons
Long stressful hours, no free food
Hospitality
Associate (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 October 2018
Long hours. Early starts and late finishes.

Staff discount is good.

(Kitchen)

Early mornings involve preparing garnish, preparing meat and defrost list. Alongside cooking breakfasts and accepting deliveries.

Late shifts involve preparing customer checks, cleaning all equipment, utensils, surfaces and walls. Followed by wrapping cutlery.
Pros
Weekly pay. Staff discount.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
Management are bullies.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire6 October 2018
If it wasn't for my peers working alongside me this review would be a lot worse. I was continually humiliated by the managers constant need to remind other staff and customers about my personal issues. Extremely unprofessional.
Training poor
Night Associate (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh Waverley Station, City of Edinburgh5 October 2018
Got what I need from the job in terms of availability but comparing the training to previous jobs it's very poor it's all just online which doesn't transfer into the job well.
Pros
Half decent nightshift pay
Cons
poor training
fun place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent4 October 2018
Teamwork is really great. the working environment is high pace. the company is every up to date when it comes to keeping up with current trends. You become part of a family unit when you work for the company which is great.
Avoid at all cost !
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham4 October 2018
I went for an interview as a cleaner,was promised the full 30 hrs so put my notice in at my existing job.Induction time at wetherspoons arrived,i was only given 20hrs! Everbody else at the induction got less hours than promised as well
No wonder same jobs are constantly re-advertised if this is how they treat people even at the beginning of their employment with them
does exactly what it says on the tin
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  Feltham, Greater London3 October 2018
I worked here some time ago and they looked after me while I was there. They support you with progression if you are willing to put the time in. Can be unsocial able but that is the nature of hospitality
Awful envoronment
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff3 October 2018
i cannot speak for other Wetherspoons, but my experience has been very distasteful. It has actively made me seek employment away from kitchen work within the service industry
Bit of a mixed place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon3 October 2018
I worked at a wetherspoons part time whilst at sixth form, earning a mere £5.20 an hour, 0 hour contract turned to a 4 hour contract (no problem with that) but made to work way over even though stating I was in sixth form. Some of the people I worked with were nice, the others I just didn't bother with. Management was bossy, rude, treated staff like they were stupid. Planned a summer holiday at easter, didn't let me have the time off despite the considerably long notice I gave them, ended up leaving because of this, wrote letter of resignation to which I got a reply from my boss when I was next in work with 'it was obvious your dad sent me that email'...I was an english literature student in sixth form...not an idiot.
Pros
The discount on food (seeing how cheap it is already).
Cons
Bossy bosses and annoying hours.
The hardest part of the job.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire2 October 2018
the hardest part of the job at the moment is every day! There is no staff and I feel like they are working us to the core. Like don't get me wrong some of them are the best people I have worked with and that's why I was there so long but when I have to work 6 days and witch is most weeks. I can't even remember my day off because they have me on a late the day before and an early the day after it kind of blends in.
Pros
Cons
never having a work, life balance
overall a very good job
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol29 September 2018
I have loved my time at JD Wetherspoon and made some friends for life. It's a very sociable job and if you don't know many people its a great place to make friends. The only reason I want to leave is for a new challenge.
Pros
discounts, paid holidays, varied shifts
Cons
long days, anti social hours
Fun place to work but stressful at times
Bar Associate/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Greater London27 September 2018
Clock in machine never works so you have to flag down a manager so you get paid for the work you've done. Hardly ever finish a shift on time I usually stay at least 20 minutes after my shift because there's always something more to be done.

Working behind the bar is fun though, I work with great people and I really like my managers and team leaders. It can just be extremely disorganised at times especially when the managers mix up the rota. Also be prepared for burns and to cut yourself on some glass every once in a while, glasses getting smashed is a common occurance (at my wetherspoons at least).

The job is mainly enjoyable, poor pay for those who are under 21 and not a lot of hours. But extra shifts are always available to be picked up and the locals and colleagues make it worth it.

Unfortunately you're going to need to deal with rude customers who treat you like you're nothing as well as the odd drunk person. I guess it means there's never a dull moment but it's annoying when someone blames you for something you didn't do but you have to try and remain calm, polite and composed.

20% discount when not working, 50% when you are and shifts usually fly when its busy. I don't have much of a social life at the moment anyway because everyone I know is at university but if my friends were around I would be extremely annoyed at the hours they give as they are usually difficult to plan things around.

Overall though it's a good job to gain experience in and it can definitely build up confidence (well when you aren't having to deal with difficult customers who forget
  more... that you're a human with emotions.)  less
Pros
Discounts, colleagues and atmosophere
Cons
Rude customers, unorganised workplace and awkward hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.