J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Found 1,801 reviews matching the search See all 1,853 reviews
Awful place to work.
Kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  St Neots weeping ash23 January 2019
Management expect far too much. Was put on all the worst shifts, so didn't finish til 2-3 in the morning. Kitchen was busy from the minute I started shift til the time I finished. You don't have time to think. It was chaos and so stressful.All the staff miserable was obvious they really didn't want to be there.food is served until 11pm which is really unfair on the kitchen staff! Only worked there 3 weeks and that was too long.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything else
Great Company to work for
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire21 January 2019
Complete day to day running of the kitchen
Working to deadlines
Following company policy and procedures
High standard of customer service
Working as a team
In house training
Pros
Customer Satisfaction
Cons
too far to travel, working too many hours as salaried
Good for students
kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire19 January 2019
Wetherspoons is a good company to work for and there are a lot of benefits, however i feel it is best suited to those who are looking for part time work whilst being in education etc.
Well organised
Front of House Staff / Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire18 January 2019
I only worked here for a short period, but the establishment was extremely organised and efficient. There was always enough staff and little stress in the job.
Pros
organised
Cons
little pay
Very good workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside12 January 2019
I worked here for some time and it was a really fun role when it was getting really busy as i had to focus on the orders coming in, and the management was really good as when i first started and i panicked a little when alot of orders come on the screen, they were very helpful and kind.
Pros
Free Lunch
well managed
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria12 January 2019
when i started the job the managment were kind and helpful with any problems. they gave me time off when i needed it but towards the end of my time working for wetherspoons they became stricter and didnt support me with troubles that i had.
Dodgy actions
Bar staff (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset11 January 2019
Left the company after a month and after leaving, had to chase them a number of times about unpaid salary. Tried to hold out on paying me my money and gave me some half-cocked story about the payment going through yet somehow never arrived in my account. 90% of the food chefs 'make' come straight from a container and thrown in microwave. They would send food up still in the container so then the floor staff would have to take it out of the container and make it looks presentable.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Worked as a temp and lumbered me with long hours every day
Fun but hard work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple10 January 2019
Constant and intense work but, depending on your colleagues, the atmosphere can make it a fun place to work. Unsociable hours working majority evenings and weekends
Sales Busy Environment
Field Auditor (Former Employee) –  London9 January 2019
Excellent standards and trend setters in the industry. The Upper management are amazing and their open plan offices show how open they are to visitors and ideas; offering a relaxed culture in an otherwise hectic environment. Most of the time it was great fun; the busier the better; fab sales promotions and events. The hardest part of the job was working full on for often long shifts; the most enjoyable part was meeting lost of different people (customers and staff) training others and seeing them progress was also rewarding.
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Not the best place to work
Bar Staff and Waitress at The Kings Head Inn (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire8 January 2019
Due to it being understaffed, I worked almost double my contracted hours every week after making it clear I could not do overtime and I could not work on certain days due to my education. This caused me to start failing my education due to finishing at 2/3am most days, There is a lot I could fault about this workplace however no one could fault how hard every single member of staff there works as it was a very difficult job, even though it may seem easy.
Pros
discount
Cons
unsociable hours
Productive, hard working work place
bar and floor associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster8 January 2019
Learn many transferable skills, management are mostly strong and hard working. Hardest part of the job is keeping up all head office demands during extremely busy periods. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and forming relationships with new people every day.
Pros
discount, bonus schemes
Cons
long hours, short staff
A different way of life
Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  London7 January 2019
Great client face to face experience along with uncapped earning, however long hours and weekend work involved, fantastic work colleagues always willing to help.
Great to work for but pushed to your limits
Bar Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Okehampton7 January 2019
This is a very young persons company to work for. It is run on skeleton staff even in busy periods and you are expected to keep up with the work regardless. But the pay is good, the added benefits are good and they are flexible with working hours.
Pros
Discounts, Flexibility, Pay
Cons
Worked to an inch of your life
Superiority complex
Assosicate (Former Employee) –  STANDING ORDER, DERBY4 January 2019
Although my pub was pretty relaxed and the management seemed alright... The team leaders (particularly female ones, but not exclusively) had a serious superiority complex. They wouldn't get their own hands dirty. Infact they'd sit around a lot, delegating whilst they stood around chatting or flirting with men old enough to be their great-grandads.

Training was absolute rubbish. Get told a lot of useless info.
And the stuff you actually need to know is bypassed. No body was told about absence procedure, holiday procedure or uniform.

You get made to feel like asking questions is stupid. Get left to your own devices after your first 30 minutes - regardless of knowing nothing. Then expected to be an expert.

You get given big book to fill out before passing probation, but no actual guidance on how to fill it out. Stupid questions like how many pints does your pub sell a week. If you ask someone, they'll give you a sarcastic answer, like I got told it was 3. Thought it was jokey banter, but nobody wanted to help. Its not actually presented anywhere. But you need the info to pass?

Hours are long. You won't leave until after 4am.

Pay is good and benefits are good.

During my interview a manager told me she spends most shifts crying alone in the bathroom and she hates her job, and it wasn't sarcasm.

Staff are alright but they're all 20 and under and students.

Clientele are questionable too.

Good job to get you through uni or college but that's about it.
Pros
50% off food whilst working
Cons
Unfriendly
An educational place to work (but not how you would think)
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex3 January 2019
Wetherspoon's is a mediocre company to work for, it is largely a detached employer and this is obvious to its many employees. However the job satisfaction comes from engaging with colleagues and patrons alike. Due to meeting with, and talking with, people from all walks of life, Wetherspoon's allows for an expansion of people's skills not necessarily found within other workplaces.
Pros
Good work atmosphere (on the whole), enjoyable meeting different people all the time
Cons
Long Hours, Lack-lustre Pay, Mediocre Management, Lack of Engagement with Higher Management to address previously listed cons
Fast & Furious
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham27 December 2018
Wetherspoons provide their staff with an incredible amount of training. Working with them although for 5years of that time was part time whilst studying had equipped me more than I realised when it came to my Business degree. The fast and furious nature of the business had enhanced my workings to be effective under pressure. Working in teams was natural as in my environment we have to work together. We have to understand each others strengths and weaknesses to make a success out of each day. And to support each other when that support is needed.
Pros
Monthly Bonus, Quartly Audit Bonus, Weekly Drinks on us, £5 gift card for calls 100% calls, £20 gift cards for App Bonus, Free Shares, Free Manager Food (Shift leader above), Training
Cons
work life / balance isn't there
What I learned
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Balham, Greater London24 December 2018
I loved the company just wished I had signed up for more hours working as a cleaner in the first place. A big mistake on my part, they provide training to you as well as discounts.
Pros
Excellent payment
Cons
Friendly working envrionment
Run and dont look back!
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol23 December 2018
I have worked for this company for many years and progressed as a shift manager. After all these years I can tell you that this is the worst possible business model ever created.
If you are seeking a real career turn around now this is not the place for you. If you have started at this job or progressed and thinking hey this actually might be OK, it will not be turn around and run like there is a fire!
The issues I am talking about here are not dependent of your pub manager or area manager or all the people you see day to day, the main problem here is the HQ so everything applies to every employee.
Headoffice makes new decisions everyweek sometimes change their minds in a couple of days and as the bridge between customers and them you end up having to explain why something has changed so suddenly. Information is completely lost with so many stupid, irrational decisions.

EXAMPLE:
The hourly paid ( non managerial) staff gets +£1 for working after 0000 which is a great idea to motivate them for late shifts (since nobody wants to work them and will come up with any excuse not to)
However at the same time they have decided to order the annualy paid managers ( no pay for extra hours) to reduce late working hours to save money. So all these staff that are encouraged to work later shifts are being pressured now to hurry up and finish early.
So is the Headoffice trying to create conflict between managers and staff? YES they are because when the staff is not happy with HO they go on strikes (like what happened in london) whereas if they are not happy about their line managers,
  more... it is their fault.

This is a tiny little drop of water from a vast ocean.

Lets talk about progression:
Once you have progressed your way up to TEAM/SHIFT LEADER you will be expected of everything and every little mistake you do will be treated as the end of the world! You will constantly be reminded that you get paid more than others so you should put more of your time in to the business because the business needs you, it needs you so much that you ll have to do 60+ hours weeks. and guess what if somebody clocks on to this from head office you get disciplinary because you have done so many hours. So figure out how that makes sense to anyone...

So say you ve made it and now you are a SHIFT MANAGER you are annually paid and are pretty responsible holding cash and all that jazz. You will have a contract that says you will only be paid for 40 hours so that is what you should be doing, however that will never happen since it is a pub and you will get no extra pay when you do 10 hours extra and trust me you will do 10hours extra very often.
On top of all this your performance will be based on your staff, your staff who are generally 16-20 year olds who are just hanging about to figure out what they want from life. That means they will never have any sort of will or need to work and perform well whatsoever. So to be able to perform well on this job you have to have the magical ability to motivate a 16 year old (that gets paid a fiver an hr) to run at max capacity and perform 5 tasks at the same time.

Now I can go on and on about what is wrong with this company however I do not have time.
If anybody here reading this is thinking JD Wetherspoons can be a nice place to work just please do yourself a favor, turn around and go somewhere else.
Pros
discount/free food
Cons
Everything and more
shocking management
Shift Leader/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Knaresborough, North Yorkshire22 December 2018
In the three years i spent at wetherspoon (the crown inn, knaresborough) I learned alot. I started as a bar associate worked my way though two promotions to become shift leader. The real problems lay in the hands of the pub manger and above, Staff turn over rate was shocking! It was rare to see a member of staff last longer than six months. The manager has no people skills (which doesn't help when you are running a pub) nor does it help when it comes to communicating with staff and dealing with problems proofesionally and effciently. Discipling staff in front of customers, undermiming managment, not trusting in staff just to name some of the complaints not just from myself but other people.
Pros
50% off food on shift
Cons
working weekends and nights
fun place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  floors, UK20 December 2018
I have been working at Wetherspoons for five weeks now and my confidence has come on so much thanks to the staff and management at Wetherspoons. It has helped me develop my existing skills as well as learn new skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.