J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Good company to work for
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dudley19 July 2018
This company is a good start in the working life as it teaches you the basic skills for the future. this can be a job to lead you into other directions or you can work your way up in the branch.
Pros
Leads you on a pathway
Cons
Quite a boring job
If you fancy having a social life, stay clear from this job
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire18 July 2018
I've been loyal to this job for 4 years and i'll be honest, it is the least rewarding job you can think of, The harder you work for the company, the least they seem to appreciate you and your well-being. However if you are just looking to do your job and the zip back home this could be the job for you as it is very easy to earn money. The hours are incredibly unsociable and its incredibly hard to book the actual days off you want.
Bad place
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London15 July 2018
Please do not work here you will be treated like dirt. Members of staff will be constantly breathing down your neck and treating you like you are stupid and you will be given verbal warnings like they are going out of fashion. it is only a cleaning job but it’s something else everyone is supposed to be flexible with days off. You have to give up your time for others who deem themselves to be more important and better than you.

please do not work here you will be miserable and made to feel like you are stupid. To be a cleaner you have to do tests and watch videos and then you Are given a work book which you will be tested on all this to be a cleaner.
Pros
Money off food and drinks
Cons
Nothing is ever good enough
not good place to work
Chef (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire12 July 2018
not good place to work,always sort staff u had to do two to three people job and u had to do pots end of night so u get finish with ur kitchen jobs to clean down then u have to do pots u lucky to finish about 2 am or 3am and u have to pay for ur taxi home too
Duty Manager
Bar associate team leader shift manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff11 July 2018
Progressed from bar associate, team leader then duty manager.
Wouldn't work for spoons again. Upper management ruthless, good managers used. generally treated as numbers on a spread sheet, must have worked with 50+ staff, 20 of which were not students but wanted a career, all left or fired, some after 20+years service. experience correct as of 2014. Great for students in cities!
Pros
Food price reduction
Cons
inconsiderate upper management
productive
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Bloxwich, West Midlands10 July 2018
A typical day at work would usually be very busy but you learn so much in such a short period of time. The management are understanding and are so good when it comes to having shifts around maybe college or university. Id say the hardest part of the job is some of the complaints we get and the way customers feel is the right way to speak to us and also when we are short staffed on a busy day but we just work hard and together and always manage to succeed at the end of the night. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and also seeing people leave with a happy experience.
Pros
Very flexible with hours you can and cant work.
Cons
Dont have many hours to give out to people who need or want them.
Great staff
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester9 July 2018
Fantastic company to work for!
Excellent chance of promotions and lots of training provided.
Lots of chance of over time If you need extra hours..
50% off food during shifts and also 20% off alcohol in any other wetherspoons
Pros
Excellent staff training
Cons
Can be long hours at times
Hard work but Great atmosphere
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 July 2018
The environment is challenging but the people who i worked with were amazing, friendly and easy to get along with. The work hours could be better but this does depends on how busy the pud gets.
Pros
50% off food during, before, and after shift, NO zero hour contracts
Cons
sometimes not enough hours and hard work. Challenging customers.
Fun working place, productive, educational
BARMAN/SERVER (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven6 July 2018
I learned a lot from working here with talking to customers, as well as, serving drinks and working on the tills. The job requires you to be able to make drinks, serve people and clean, set up tables and glasses.
Great place to work, if you get the right boss
Pub manager (Current Employee) –  Hawick6 July 2018
I loved my time with JD Wetherspoon, but it has recently taken a horrible turn, from the top down, with a shift in focus from running a business, to squeezing every little penny out of it, until it cannot operate.
I have always prided myself on how I worked for a company that treated me like a person. But now, all I feel like is a number, to be constantly berated for whatever paltry reason that is the focus for this week.

The training system in place is fantastic, some of the best I have ever came across and it is implemented brilliantly.
non dedicated to employees
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland3 July 2018
worked with wetherspoons for 9 years and used to love my job. since a change of senior management has occurred I have resented working here. I do not appreciate a change of location being forced through. Its a company that says its all about the people.. but in reality its all about the money.
Pros
free food. holidays and pay
Cons
long hours. no thanks for anything from management. used as a number and non appreciated.
Wetherspoons Review
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
I learned how to manage an extremely busy pub that sometimes had angry customers. This has been an invaluable experience for my hospitality work in the future. I quickly picked up the bar staff work ethic. I enjoyed serving customers at the Mossy Well.
Positive and fun workplace
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Southampton29 June 2018
Nice place to work with a lot of tasks to complete during the day. At first, I was mostly doing the washing-up but then I was able to cook and prepare food which was lovely.
Awful job but the people are ok
Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon29 June 2018
While there are some good things about working for Wetherspoons, for example the pay isn't bad and the staff are all friendly fun to work with, those are pretty much the only good things about the job. In the pub I worked in the senior management clearly didn't care about their staff in the slightest and the overall pub manager would spend their entire shift sitting up in the office doing nothing and would only come down to help if we rang the office and asked for them to come down, even then they would come down for 5 minutes and then disappear again. As a result of this and other issues with the pub there is a lot of unnecessary stress felt by the staff.
Typical chain pub
kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  barrow-in-furness28 June 2018
a typical day included opening the kitchen, probably doing some of the previous nights close down. prep for the day.. and begin cooking and preparing breakfasts.
Staff turnover was high as it was more a case of hire anyone that wanted a job, regardless of whether they were right for the job..
Promotion wasnt based upon ability.
culture in the kitchen was 'let someone else deal with it' meaining little actually got done without supervision. best part of the job was the people..
Pros
Good crack
Cons
everything else
Fun depending on your pub
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
I’ve worked at 4 different spoons and the staff really make a difference. Good place to work if you want experience in bar work because the customers are often friendly and have patience, not very sociable hours as you can leave work at 4am sometimes.
Pros
Discounts and bonuses
Cons
Managers aren’t very helpful
Prepared to take anyone on and provide training.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk23 June 2018
Wetherspoons is typical of a large company. Corporate politics can sometimes get in the way of work and the pay could be increased. A good part time job while studying though.
Pros
50% off food.
Cons
Pay
fast paced
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Ives23 June 2018
Was a very fast paced environment so I found that the most difficult, I was based on nights so I had to close and clean the kitchen so that took 4 of us to do this, the environment is very fast and fun in a kitchen crossed with hard work and abit of fun..
Terrible company!
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Westhoughton22 June 2018
Nice place to socialise. Horrid place to work overall. Their expectations of you are crazy and no matter how hard you work its never good enough. I've watched several newcomers join the team and been let go or quit before their probationary periods are up, mostly due cos the poor sods had no real guidence and got ridiculed for it by management. Until something better comes along i'm still slumming it here!
Pros
Weekly pay/discount on food and drink
Cons
Everything else
Fun, good pay, fast paced environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport20 June 2018
Good environment to work in with good pay, very fast paced and your constantly moving about due to how long the shifts were I got to have a very small social life and also getting through security was a night mare had to come in for your shifts sometimes up to to hours early.
Pros
Weekly pay, good pay in general, friendly staff and management
Cons
Long working hours, day shifts u don't have a specific finishing time, minimal social life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.