J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Mostly Friendly
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear20 April 2018
Typical day was to prepare food, cook food and wash dishes. Didn't learn much. Some of the Management were ok, but one was a bit of a bully. The workplace culture, was to just work as hard as possible. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the cleaning. There wasn't much that was enjoyable working there, apart from a couple of staff members that were lovely
Pros
Free Cups Of Coffee
Cons
Washing dishes for 5 hours
High staff turnover
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Ruthin, Denbighshire18 April 2018
So many people leaving, awkward shifts and the management would never let you take the holidays your entitled to. I requested time off, was told I could have it and then was put on the rota anyway.
Pros
Slight discount
Cons
Long hours, under payed
Good camaraderie
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Tavistock, Devon18 April 2018
Tiring but a real sense of team spirit. Long hours can be difficult but with the right team and a good sense of cohesion you can get a real sense of achievement from this
Bad reputation and should be banned from hiring/advertising
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London16 April 2018
Employer doesn't keep staff long enough to prove a successful staff turnover and has a bad reputation for hiring unprofessional staff. Management JD Wetherspoons pubs are to be questioned for many mistakes as many managers appear intimidating and very hot headed, especially Hounslow's branch, The Moon Under Water.
Pros
Discount on food as an employee
Cons
Questionable management
Fun but demanding
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Nailsea, Bristol16 April 2018
Extremely high paced, never a dull moment. Plenty of interaction with colleagues and customers to ensure a welcoming environment, expect to constantly busy
Pros
Cheaper food whilst at work
Cons
Can be intense
A Great place to work
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire14 April 2018
I would recommend working at Wetherspoons to anyone! They offer lots of training with the role (some of which you are required to complete outside of working hours). Overall a great place to work!
Pros
Staff discount
Good for a short time
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 April 2018
Okay job if you need the money but wouldn't apply if you wanted a career in hospitality. Pay doesn't match the amount of work that you do. Strongly recommend you don't apply.. i lasted 3 months before i quit because it was driving me insane
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Everything else
Demotivating workplace
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Scotland11 April 2018
Good company to work for as you receive bonuses at the end of a good audit and wage is above minimum. However, you do not feel individually valued - probably as it is such a large company but would be nice to stick to original values, as many large companies do. Easy to move up in the company as demonstrated by the managers I work under. However, when multiple complaints are made about the same members of management from staff, nothing is done to resolve this. Also, you learn on the job (i.e. train yourself) and are not told of important changes happening in the company.
Busy work place in season
Kitchen Porter/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool11 April 2018
Good basic training mainly on line , various shifts , finishes can go on till 1am !! In season WARNING OUT OF SEASON HRS ARE VERY BASIC IF NOT MANAGEMENT !! My average 10/15 sometimes less
Pros
50% off food & drinks ( non alcohol )
Cons
Out of season(nov to mar) be warned not many hrs
Ok
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 April 2018
Its a ok company to start with, but it gives you an idea on how to deal with difficult customers. staff training is all in house and very inconsistence and main focus seems to be based on what the company wants without hearing staff or customers.
Pros
50% off food dureing work hours
Cons
low pay
where chefs go to die
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 April 2018
Wetherspoons is not for CHEFS.
Do not apply if you know how to do your job.
Worse than McDonald’s the food is not fit for human consumption.
There is no training unless you brown nose to get it.
Breaks....what are those even if they are kind enough to give you what your entitled to it will more than likely be cut short by someone who’s paid 10p more than you but thinks they own the company.
The only kitchen I have ever worked in where the 6am cleaner is also the 9 o clock breakfast chef while your manager strolls in at 11am and just puts toast on a plate and tells you to move faster.
They tell you it’s a pro being paid weekly! Try leaving.
Just all round scummy. Even those cheap beers people rave about are either stale or about to go stale.
Every spoons is the same hence why half your page will be full of spoons opportunities, there’s a reason no one wants to work there.
Pros
Cons
Everything even the people
Shockingly bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 April 2018
Worst place I’ve ever worked. Got no training after I specified I had no bar experience and the staff were bigger perverts than the customers. Got propositioned at least 5 times a shift by the staff (which the pub manager knew about but continued to do nothing) and the customers were a nightmare. Not worth the stress for such little pay.
Bad job for work life balance
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire5 April 2018
Managers look down on staff. Expected to work every weekend if new, favouritism to certain individuals who get every weekend off. make you work short shifts but 6 days a week.
Pros
50% off Lunches
Cons
Management, Hours, Holiday
Unpredictable workplace, overwork staff
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire4 April 2018
I’ve worked here for over half a year, and I have never been so tired and keep getting illnesses as much as I have now in all my life. One shift I’m doing a close and not finishing til 2 in the morning the next I’m wakjng up at 5am. There is no routine, it messes your body up, and to top it off the work is exhausting. I could barely move one day because my legs were just giving up on me. The management don’t care about anyone’s problems, they’ll happily get rid of anybody regardless of messing people’s lives up. The job can get tedious also, doing the same thing again and again day in day out, I actually cannot wait to get a new job and do better hours again:
Pros
50% discount on shift
Cons
No work/life balance, routine, careless management
Poor company
Staff (Former Employee) –  Eccles, Greater Manchester3 April 2018
Poor company to work management sit in the office playing on there phones pretending to office stuff ralse staff struggle on the bar and floor bonus is rubbish aswell
Okay
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Huyton Quarry2 April 2018
It was okay I suppose.. I was never given the transfer I was promised when I left fo University so bad taste left i my mouth. The kitchen manager has since been fired but I still would never work for Spoons again.
Not a very satisfying job
Part-time kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Exeter30 March 2018
This job was messy, I smelled of food after every shift, I burned my fingers, the hygiene standards were not kept up by the management or senior staff which shocked me. The work pace is too fast for most people and there is a lot of pressure, meaning mistakes are easily made.
Not great benefits except discount on food, the pay was fairly low and the work I did was tedious, messy and fast. My colleagues were fairly critical of the company and it seemed like no one actually liked working there.

I left fairly quickly, only stayed a few months.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
long shifts, not good atmosphere
Great company
Kitchen Manager, Sedge Lynn (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 March 2018
Good place to learn and grow.

Each pub is managed individually so standards can vary, but they are all overseen by area managers and other head office staff, which keeps standards consistent.

If you're looking to get a job in the food and drink industry, there is no better place to work up and gain experience. The training is excellent and the opportunities to progress are there.

It's hard work and the pay isn't great but it's better than most pub jobs. Good benefits package with discounts and free shares after a while working there.

Work/life balance is poor, but it is an area they are working on improving. The culture is to work staff incredibly hard and some people might be burned out by it.
Pros
Discounts, career development
Cons
hard work & poor work/life balance
Good for first timers and extra money
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire28 March 2018
I currently work at a Wetherspoons and it has its ups and downs but at the end of the day the team has each others backs.
All members of staff are welcoming and willing to help with whatever you need.
You get 20 % off when not working and 50% when on shift and it’s definitely worth it!
You get some hard customers from time to time but you get use to it as no matter where you end up in in the working industry you will always experience this.
Mangers are always on hand and listen when there is either a problem or if you have a idea to improve the pub.
Pay is a week in advance and weekly
Pros
Meeting friends for life
Cons
Rude customers from time to time
dangerous
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk27 March 2018
The managers didn't care for the employees' safety when the customers became abusive, they simply wanted to keep taking their money to line their own pockets. They supposedly ban the really violent customers but always let them back in. A customer spat in my face and the manager couldn't be bothered to bar him. Very Victorian and they do not care for your welfare. A highly dangerous environment.
Pros
I managed to escape
Cons
Violence and bullying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.