J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

potentially a good job
BAR AND FLOOR STAFF (Former Employee) –  Oakham, Rutland18 January 2018
Between the time i worked in this organisation I began to realise the people who had worked there for a while managed to slack off a lot more. I had never worked in a larger pub/restaurant before and got left on my own to figure things out by myself, even when one of the other employees was meant to be showing me how to do things.

there were some customers that were incredibly rude, so if you don't have think skin be careful. there were some issues that needed to be addressed, as when i started i had booked off the time for my holiday, this was approved however when i returned i was not put on the rota for the week there fore didn't get the hours per week i was contracted. this was at the point i quit.

the average day is busy weekends more than weekdays and the Saturday night shift is horrendous especially when there only 3 members of staff

the most enjoyable part is when the customers say thank you.
i did learn how to pour pints properly and how to make up cocktails which is a good skill to have if you are applying for the bar jobs.
Pros
flexible breaks
Cons
lack of training and staff
fun outgoing place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Heanor, Derbyshire17 January 2018
meeting people, getting to know your customers, great rate of pay, hours are flexible, understanding management, staff parties, christmas do's, great collegues, nice food,
Pros
discount food/drinks, free uniform
Cons
late hours
na
stevenage - Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire17 January 2018
worked with the general public and part of a team was able to progress to management and was able to work as part of a team on a daily basics i also became a licence holder
amazing
Resident DJ (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes17 January 2018
On a Friday and Saturday night I play from 8pm till 2am and entertain hundreds of the public in their night out.
Interact with customers and make them feel welcome, also playing their requests and give them a great night out.

the best time of my life here
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester16 January 2018
Good place to work, like any job has it good and bad side. Good career progression within the company if you want to move into management and would like a challenge.
Pros
20% off drinks
Cons
No uniform provided
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh15 January 2018
Always learning something new and finding ways to improve how I work. Great company benefits and lots of support from management. Feel like I am an important member of the team and my work is valued! Great place to work
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
12 hour contract but actually working 40+
Fun and Lively
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes15 January 2018
A typical day at work would be maintaining housekeeping, so wiping down tables, restoring the condiments and wiping down the bar. Also making sure the glasses are always clean.
On a Friday or Saturday night, things get quite busy and the main focus is getting food out in good time and making sure everyone is enjoying their food. Curry club and Steak club tend to also keep waiters on their toes. When it's less busy, the focus moves to cleaning and maintaining standards.

Management in my pub where I worked was great, they were all kind and understanding and we really were a team together.

The culture is like a group of family and friends, you'll find a lot of members of the team are either in relationships or are related or are friends outside of work or have mutual friends which allows for smooth work style.

The hardest part would be when we are understaffed on a busy night as the work load can intensify ( make sure you have comfy shoes, as ugly as they might be, they are lifesavers!)
The most enjoyable part is the customers complimenting my smile and noticing my efforts and hard work.
Pros
50% off lunches, great team and management
Cons
Can end up doing more shifts or longer hours than planned
Not a bad place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester15 January 2018
Loved working at weatherspoons until we got a new manger loved the challenges they set for us ,, the team in the kitchen worked well together and we got our work done with no stress
Pros
Working with team
Cons
Manger
Professional
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire15 January 2018
working for wethwerspoons was fun, the staff atmosphere is great, their online training is very informative and all you need to start working. the shifts are usually catered to the member of staffs needs. Also there can usually be overtime to pick up if you're ever strapped for cash.
Little job security
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockley15 January 2018
On a zero-hour contract, your hours can be cut if business is slowing down. It is a good company to work for if you want flexible part-time work - if you are a student for instance, as I was
not fun because of managers attiude towards staff members
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Poole14 January 2018
managers were always on their phone and letting all the staff get on with what they were supposed to do and not helping out they were always grumps didn't feel comfortable working there also the managers were talking about other staff behind there backs.
Pros
getting drinks brought for you for working hard and tips at the end of the night
Cons
long hours and managers were not nice
Ok as a stop gap
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester12 January 2018
Did 10 weeks
Rotas changes daily staff phoned in sick late
Slackers got away with doing less work
Moved on to bigger and better things no regrets in leaving
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor wages s
Fine - People were great. Job - not so much.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
The job is easy once you get into the swing of things. The management are absolute souless vessels of people who, I assume were once happy and are now doomed to be miserable. Other staff are usually great. The hours are brutal sometimes and you'll forget the meaning of having a drink on the weekend but it could be worse.
Pros
The other staff
Cons
Literally everything else
Competitive pay yet not worth it
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keswick, Cumbria9 January 2018
They attempted on several occasions to work me illegally, not give me a break during a 10/11 hour shift and call me in for ridiculous hours. Though it's under new management now the management at the time was not good. I would often get sent several edited rotas because we were badly, badly understaffed meaning I worked multiple shifts as long as 16 hours. The staff turnover is ridiculous and I never received any kind of formal training, despite being left as the only person in my role very often towards the end of my time working there. Good for competitive pay, but prepare to do three people's jobs at once.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Bad hours, understaffed
Enjoyable
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 January 2018
Every day was different when working in this job. I enjoyed working behind the bar as I was always busy, whether it be serving customers or maintaining the bar area's high standard of cleanliness and organisation. Managers were always present and were incredibly understanding of any issues or situations both inside and outside of work. My colleagues were all very welcoming, so I settled in quickly. Everyone would help each other, especially on the closing shift - no one would clock out until everyone had finished their closing duties. The only downside to this job was that hours varied weekly - which is not desirable when you have bills and rent to pay.
Pros
Staff discount
Deceitful
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hemsworth, West Yorkshire8 January 2018
Very deceitful as I applied for a job in November time and wasn’t told that it was only for Christmas then just got took off the rotas without notification has to contact several member of management over 7 days to find out why was told it was temp then and also that I interacted with customers too much

Management and other member of staff weren’t too nice either not the best bar job to have
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything else
Spoons
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil8 January 2018
Over all I enjoyed working for the company. Everyday was different but on times the same, where you would start the day by prepping the things that you need for throughout the day, and for the night shift then you would prep the things that you would need for the next day.
Pros
free squash
okai
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Newquay7 January 2018
not the best company mess you about and not very considerate. wouldnt personally recommend as they arent very understanding and they are very pushy and inconsiderate
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
the company
you put in more than you get out
Manager (Current Employee) –  Taunton6 January 2018
As a company they are good to work for, however no two pubs are the same and managers are allowed to get away with treating staff differently depending on the pub and how closely they are managed from above.

Not a company to build a career with, more like a job to help you pay the bills.

Most managers move on to bigger and better companies.
Pros
Managers get free food.
Cons
expected to do more than can be possible within your normal working week.
Summary
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Welling, Greater London4 January 2018
I think Weatherspoons provided a perfectly friendly and united work environment and that suited my personality very well. I think the benefits and flexibility of the stores really suited me.
Also I was looking for a pace faster than the pace of clothing retail.
Pros
flexibility, hours, location, progression within the company
Cons
wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8