J D Wetherspoon PLC

J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,596 reviews
Found 2,596 reviews matching the search
Working here was great
It’s a shame my employment got cut short however working here was a great way to get to meet a range of new people everyday allowing an individual to really work on their social skills.
Brilliant
Loved my time at Wetherspoons, would happily work there again, above minimum wage pay, great benefits, great environment, only reason I left was because I moved house and there isn’t a spoons where I live now
Illegal shift patterns and no thanks.
Was with spoons for 3 years and had several roles.
Often finished work at 2am and would have a shift the next day starting at 7am.

Manager made me serve customers who were drunk and aggressive while in all other pubs I worked in this would never happen. Managers stealing tips. Not nice at all.
Great team
It's a great place to work, I'd recommend it for uni students or anyone who just wants a casual part time job. It's not great pay but the 20% discount on food and drinks is great, plus free/-50% food while working is awesome.
Great managment, poor contract conditions
Working in wetherspoons can teach you how to work in a fast-paced environment. Managment team is really good, everyone know their roles and the job is well explained since day one. My only concern about the company is hiring people with 0 hours contract, you can't really rely on this job to have a normal life.
Can be stressful but its a nice environement.
Some days it can be extremely busy or it can be extremely quiet. On busy days it does get stressful but in the pub I'm in the staff are like family to each other. Management are good at supporting their staff.
Sometimes good, sometime bad
Can sometimes be good and sometimes bad, depends on the day and the clientel. Everyday is different from the rest of them, also depends on the management.
Fun working envrionment but long hours
Can be very fun job providing the team are all friendly. If you get on with staff and management it is the perfect job. Be prepared to be called in on days off, long working hours and do more than just serve food and pull pints. Do not expect because it says 'bar associate' that you will only be a bartender, you will also be serving food, tidying, doing toilet checks, taking bins out and clearing tables - dont complain. Good fun as long as youre prepared to work in a team and work hard. Reccomend but not for everyone.
Great company
Great company to work for if you work at a pub with good management I worked at 2 pubs firs pub was great management felt like they were friends more than a boss second put the pub manager was an horrible spoke down on me like I was a child and in my dismissal procedure made the whole process sound like the didn’t want me there as I wasn’t able to fit there criteria for was they wanted as I didn’t have my driving licence so that couldn’t do the shifts they wanted me to do and the KM turned round and told me that they had already hired my replacement but great to eatn money during XMAS period as there is loads of hour to the point where I did more than double my contract
Productive and Fun workplace
It was my first ever job, and it exposed me to a lot. I had to learn how to deal with riled up customers and also learning how to cope under the stress of table service. I loved meeting so many different personalities whilst working there and picked up the skill of being able to communicate across a variety of ages.
Good Benefits
Good benefits, good pay, good training, friendships, discount, shareholder scheme, pension, easy to progress, free food on shift, paid holiday & shift patterns.
Zero hours
Job was fine, my time there was good working with great people. The manager position changed five times. The problem was having zero hours contract so the hours dropped with first manager and varied after that. It’s okay for students or if you want to become management then it was a case of knowing the right manager which is unfair and as had no chance to do that.
good place to work
good place to work, staff are friendly and so are the customers, each day is different and so is each customer. the overall work life balance is ok and the perks of the job are good, I worked in Saltcoats and I couldn't have asked for a better manager.
Pros
discounts on meals and tips
Cons
like any job
Good pay and staff each day is diffrent. All memebers of staff works as a team and most know whats expected from them. I recived good tips and a great work life balance
Good atmosphere
Good atmosphere and healthy helpfulness amongst staff. Cleaning fast paced. No complaints on the workplace or workers everyone looks out for their stations and each other.
Reasonable Company
J D Wetherspoon is a decent company to work for, the pay is competitive and there is always room for some form of progression. They have some good benefits.
It is hard work and fast paced and you usually feel understaffed, but it keeps the job interesting
Very friendly place to work
Typical day at work start at 5AM make sure all cleaners know what there jobs are for the day,making sure all machines are working cleaning cupboards are fully stocked,you learn on the job as you go,reporting to management any problems you encounter on way,the most enjoyable part of the job is working as part of a team sorting problems out making sure job is done saftley everyone happy.
Pros
Bonus discount off food drink
Cons
No cons really you make the job ad hard as it is.
It was a very useful and convenient job to do during my time at University as it helped pay for my upkeep and equipment. However, apart from the work ethics and experience working as a team - I feel, it is not relevant to the work I am seeking from this point onwards.
Not good
Lack of training being thrown into the job whith no training at all because there is no training and also that do not cook from fresh it is all frozen food
What you expect
Working at Wetherspoons is exactly what you think it's going to be like, if you enjoy faced paced bar work and talking to customers then you will enjoy this job. I worked at 2 different pubs over 9 months, one in Blackpool and one in Manchester. Working in Blackpool was very fun and the atmosphere of the pub was great, sometimes the hours would be lacking a bit though as I think they had too many staff members. Working in Manchester was different however, the atmosphere wasn't great and the pub was so big that it was impossible to get to know your colleagues. the management were also quite unreasonable and I found it difficult to have a work/life balance, they did not seem to understand that I couldn't work till close every night because I had uni the next day, they also were strict with taking days off, yet the rota for the next week used to come out so late, so I found it very difficult to make plans. I suppose this job varies greatly depending on which pub you go to, so if you are to apply I'd check out the pub you are applying for before hand :)
Awful place to work
Not a good place to work the hours are not secured as they send staff home to save money, had to argue every time or make it clear that need the hours money OR have another job OR leave never to look back! The management is awful too, rude and unsupportive promise training and show favouritism to their bar staff over their kitchen staff. The staff in the kitchen are a bunch of idiotic, ignorant. lazy and very ..idiosyncratic...individuals ….really its best not to bother!! Very disappointed as an employee being a customer for years. Not to mention the 1% bonus …which is a joke …Towards the end they launched a free meal, stock that would go in the bin when out of date just to even up the sending home early if not busy ...Never going back to eat OR seek employment .Moral of the story if you are over 30 ;s don't bother seeking job with them also Very important to cook my own food!!!
Pros
Free food normally would be thrown away
Cons
free coffee
Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8