J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Employees don't matter
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Horley21 October 2018
It is made very clear that profit is more important than the employee's wellbeing.

Managers regularly take advantage of employees, particularly younger workers. Employees are kept on probation for as long as possible so they don't earn as much. Any concerns or complaints raised are dismissed instantly.

I would not recommend working here and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Made some friends for life
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire21 October 2018
The job itself wasn’t two bad. I’ve been with the company on and off over the years. Made some of my best friends at spoons. I’ve worked for some great managers, and some really terrible ones. Wages are a lot better now than when I started. Bottom line is, you will have no life outside spoons, you will be working at the weekend. But you’ll have some fun along the way.
Pros
Discount, making friends, decent level of training
Cons
No work life balance, no weeeknds off, poor management
Badly treated
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire20 October 2018
I did not feel valued from the second I started, I was 16 and was asked to check men’s toilets and work past 9pm which they originally told me wasn’t allowed. I wasn’t given much guidance when I started and was left on the floor on my own on just my second shift. Wasn’t a good experience.
Pros
Decent pay for under 18s
Cons
Not appreciated
Never Again
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Essex18 October 2018
Long hours, management is poor, too many members of staff not turning up, zero training and lack of communication throughout work place. Some days were okay.
Pros
When it’s quiet.
Cons
Obvious favouriting in the workplace, lack of staff, rude.
Very fun
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury18 October 2018
Working for wetherspoon was a new experience for me in which i thoroughly enjoyed. i worked in three different spoons pubs and i enjoyed all three and was made to feel like a member of the family from the off
Very Good
Pub Manager (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire18 October 2018
Good employer, good job security, pays management well. Freeshares, bonus and pension for all employees. Hard work in some locations due to client base
Enjoyed my time at the Green Dragon. Great team. Very supportive manager.
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Leek, Staffordshire17 October 2018
Love the training. Online. Can complete and learn at your own pace. Very high standards in cleaning, customer service, etc. Managers are approachable and happy to work alongside you in the kitchen. Vickie always led by example and made it fun. I can honestly say I have nothing but good things to say about working here.
Pros
Great Discounts. Brilliant manager. High standards.
Cons
None.
Fun but stressful
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Hounslow17 October 2018
When working with the right people, this job can be fun and rewarding. I learnt how to improve my communication skills between customers. The hardest part is keeping up with the fast pace of the job
Better than most pub companies
General Manager (Former Employee) –  various16 October 2018
Good company to work for but only if your face fits.

Chances for progression are available. Training is great and i hear they are doing a lot more to combat working over your designated hours.
Pros
Free lunch, flexibility in shifts
Cons
Long hours, verbal abuse from custtomers
if u like smell of a beer its a perfect place for u
Bartender/team leader (Former Employee) –  London14 October 2018
easy going,fun place to work and find a new friends
good for students to earn some money
good rota evening or evening shifts
good customer service is a must
Stressful and awful
Cook/Chef (Former Employee) –  Haverfordwest13 October 2018
I wasn't given any training despite being autistic. When I told them I was struggling they told me I was lazy and lying about my autism.
We son a 12 hour contract but was only given 6 hours a week. Genuinely terrible place to work.
Never given a break.
Pros
Cons
Don't honour contracts. Dont care about you
Horrible
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon12 October 2018
Unsociable and constantly changing hours with no set days off, and you are made to feel guilty if you say no when you are asked to cover or swap shifts. They expect you to put Wetherspoons first, and have no life outside of work; not that you could afford to have one anyway.
They promise the world in advancement to management and higher wages but do not keep to it; instead, after your training, they try and get you to do the management jobs on associate pay, and call it "further training".
ALWAYS understaffed, and even legally entitled breaks are rare to get, let alone the longer ones the company promises, and when you do take your legally entitled break, you are made to feel guilty for leaving someone on their own, and are often called back in early and therefore do not get your full break.
This *could* be a very good company to work for, but the management do not care about the staff. Every member is overworked, underpaid, fatigued, and many are on antidepressants just to get through the long, busy, and extremely stressful days.
Pros
20% discount on all Wetherspoons products.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, always understaffed (purposefully), rarely get breaks, "clique" behaviour among certain staff. And many more.
Hated it
Bar and kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Acocks Green, Shirley12 October 2018
Quite often managers would swap/cancel shifts last minute, many times I have been abused or felt uncomfortable by a certain customer in regards to explicit sexual comment and managers didn't care.

As soon as you take a break to have a quick sip of a drink or spoke to a colleague you would have got moaned at to stop slacking and do work.
Pros
discount
Cons
to many to list
Great
Chef (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester11 October 2018
That is a place where you can learn a lot and having fun at the same time!
Fun workplace
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingsbury, Greater London10 October 2018
Working on the bar is easy, fun and interactive. There are a few moments when dealing with customers that can get quite worrying. Overall though, the company is good to work with.
Pros
fun environment, discounted food
Cons
lack of movement upwards, lots of changeover
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Chichester9 October 2018
Loved working with the company.
Great company when working, mainly all got close as friends and made it thought the work together.
Many of the customer were friendly too.
Fun place to work
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, UK8 October 2018
Excellent place to work and the everyone is friendly and very welcoming the only bad thing I can think of is no free meals but they do offer 50% discount on purchases.
Pros
People
Cons
Long stressful hours, no free food
Hospitality
Associate (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 October 2018
Long hours. Early starts and late finishes.

Staff discount is good.

(Kitchen)

Early mornings involve preparing garnish, preparing meat and defrost list. Alongside cooking breakfasts and accepting deliveries.

Late shifts involve preparing customer checks, cleaning all equipment, utensils, surfaces and walls. Followed by wrapping cutlery.
Pros
Weekly pay. Staff discount.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
Management are bullies.
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire6 October 2018
If it wasn't for my peers working alongside me this review would be a lot worse. I was continually humiliated by the managers constant need to remind other staff and customers about my personal issues. Extremely unprofessional.
Training poor
Night Associate (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh Waverley Station, City of Edinburgh5 October 2018
Got what I need from the job in terms of availability but comparing the training to previous jobs it's very poor it's all just online which doesn't transfer into the job well.
Pros
Half decent nightshift pay
Cons
poor training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.