J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Found 1,775 reviews matching the search See all 1,825 reviews
Good opportunities
Title - Pub Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton, UK7 December 2018
secure and progressive company. lots of opportunity at all levels.
working for this company for nearly 10 years shows that it has lots of perks and reasons for continuing to work there.
Fast pace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasshoughton5 December 2018
Very good career progression
Fast paced environment
Hard working managment team
Good benefits e.g discounts
Making customers expiernce over all is the best part about this job
Very goal based and focused
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire5 December 2018
Very good company to work for if you can deal woth working unsociable hours and most weekends, can at times be massively overwhelming. Need to be thick skinned to work here as you get a lot of people who complain and can at times be quite hard to deal with.
Cons
Unsociable hours
Nice working place
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London4 December 2018
I enjoy working there all the staff are particularly friendly and are always willing to help out when you struggle or need some assistance. The management is very helpful and are willing to work around your personal lifestyle but still making sure that you get your required hours of work.
regimented
Manager at various sites (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2018
every day is more or less set out for each member of staff.the company itself has a strict set of guide lines which all staff are expected to follow.it is a company that focuses on customer services and experience as a priority
Pros
free lunches at management level
Cons
very long hours
Served its purpose
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey3 December 2018
Good social life with the job, but the hours are long and hard work especially on Friday/Saturday nights. That was definitely the hardest part, but excellent friendships are made.
No respect
Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside27 November 2018
Were do I start your just a number not a person given no respect inept management but biggest thing is I've noticed the wrong people seem to get promoted don't get paid extra for working Christmas or Easter bank holidays
Pros
Can get decent bonuses
Cons
Bad managers no respect
Everyday was a different delightful day.
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Blackpool26 November 2018
A typical day would include satisfying the customers and making sure that they have all the correct stuff on each table to have an enjoyable experience.
I've learned how to work more professionally within group work as well as having developing my personality in a positive way.
The management was amazing the workplace felt like a little family and any issues was solved professionally and was organised having no problems with the rota's.
The hardest part of the job was bringing the customers back into the pub because glasses not being allowed onto the promenaded.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having conversations with the customers and getting to know the frequent people.
Pros
Getting given a scheme to allow myself to earn more money with the bonuses that are required
Cons
Wasn't getting enough hours so I had to end up in parting ways and getting a new job
Lousy way to be treated.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester18 November 2018
Worked for this company for a number of weeks, that was my misfortune. My pay was always wrong when I did eventually get paid, the staff were very unfriendly and reluctant to help me if I had an issue and they never used my name,they just used to shout OI! Managers are not very supportive either, you have one day off sick and you inform them by text giving plenty of notice and the following week they let you work part of your shift,bearing in mind this during the probationary period and they take you to one side and they fire you without any warning being given! Surely this is not legal or fair? A most unenjoyable experience and confidence draining to boot!
Pros
I didn't see any!
Cons
The entire experience
A good company to work for.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey14 November 2018
A good company to work for. Tough hours to work if its a busy pub. You'll have to be prepared to deal with situations that aren't very nice, such as drunk abusive customers.
Pros
Good bonuses if the pub is run well
Cons
late hours
The people were the best bit about the job
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 November 2018
Although it was a demanding place to work and it was fairly stressful, the people I worked with made the job enjoyable, and also the different customers and people from all over you meet and speak to when serving on the bar, I am glad for the experience.
Pros
Discount on drinks, how close the staff are
Cons
long demanding shifts wih unsociable hours
Comfortable place to work
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Formby, Lancashire14 November 2018
The management were really helpful and understanding of employees needs, the work place was a comfortable place to work in with lots of benefits during shifts and when off shift.
Wetherspoon was always good to me
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 November 2018
Worked in the Counting House in my early 20's and I loved it. Staff and management were great. Then left to pursue a career elsewhere. A few years later I needed some part-time work and again Wetherpoon's (different pub) was kind enough to oblige.
Very good
Fully trained Kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  Skipton14 November 2018
Duties were reasonable and although it seemed difficult the pub was always busy so the job was fast paced and never boring. Bonuses were very good as was pay however having to book a day off 6 weeks in advance (which is rarely granted) was tedious.
Load of rubbish
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilkley13 November 2018
No one cares about you just work work work no one cares manager always moaning about staff not doing job and don't do anything themselves staff stealing food in the kitchen so they don't have to pay
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager
friendly staff, approachable managers
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Camden Town10 November 2018
Through working with weatherpersons, i gained useful and valuable knowledge, that i can now take with me, as i progress through my work life. The management was mostly helpful, and understanding, apart from a few. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful.,
Kitchen assistant
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire9 November 2018
I only worked there a short time, it just wasn't for me. Having said that it's a pretty good place to work. Pays above average, they are accomodating with shifts and hours in fact they went out of their way to help me with starting the kitchen assistant programme. The other staff in general are friendly and helpful. There's some pretty good perks as well.

I would say if your used to doing the same routine at work daily it's not for you.
If you haven't got a strong stomach you might find bits of it difficult.
You need to have a great memory and be very fast and efficient otherwise your just keeping others back and getting in the way ( I should know 🤣)

All in all I would recommend it if you think it's definitely for you. But I'd advise that just because you've worked in the food industry don't think your prepared for any type of food environment I certainly wasn't
Pros
Good rate of pay, career progression and training flexible shifts
Cons
Understaffed
Working for Wetherspoon
kitchen shift leader (Former Employee) –  Metrocentre, Tyne and Wear7 November 2018
I had a good work/life balance and found the company to be supportive and understanding with room for progression to more senior roles if desired. I worked in various positions and found they all added to my knowledge and skills.
Horrible place
Bar Staff/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire6 November 2018
Horrible place to work, nasty management team, rude to staff, no breaks, don’t stick to you’re availability!
One place you would never want to work even if you are at rock bottom
Pros
Cons
No breaks, bad management, rude, everything you could think of
Great company but depends on which pub you work in.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tameside, Greater Manchester5 November 2018
Depends which pub based at! Good group fun times, but if there’s a negative atmosphere down to staff, management don’t care to follow correct procedures regarding bullying,harassment of staff. Customers notice the atmosphere yet management oblivious.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Long hours, hard physical work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.