J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Awful place to work
Bar Staff and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull19 June 2018
if you’re thinking of working here I would strongly advise you to rethink. This was my first job, I was 18 and had next to no experience. I was thrown into the deep end with NO TRAINING and management expected me to know what to do straight away when working behind the bar. Because of the no training I had to teach myself everything. Management was an absolute joke, cliquey as anything. If 1 person didn’t like you that was it you was cast aside and made to feel like everything you did wasn’t good enough. They will keep you on until you approach the end of the 13 week probation scheme they have then fire you and make up a reason why (mine was I didn’t smile enough) would not recommend to anyone if it is there first job especially
Pros
50% off food and drink on shift. 20% off shift
Cons
Horrible managements, cliquey, no training
Blant Favouritism and Unexperienced Managers
Bar (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London17 June 2018
Do not apply to Wetherspoons. The favouritism between staff and managers are harsh, cruel, and downright absurd. Requesting time off will rarely happen, with Mangers demanding various emails, though they lose said emails. The staff are unexperienced, and depressing. Working busy shifts are met with rude customers, understaffed rotas and general laziness from Mangers and Senior Members of Staff. The food is bland, calorie inducing and unhealthy, with the pay being poor. No matter to you have been in the company for several years, your bonus is greedily taken by Mangers. Avoid at all cost for the sake of your sanity and mental health.
Cons
The Good the bad and the ugly
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 June 2018
A stable job for someone willing to put the graft in, experience differs from pub to pub, sometimes you work for a pub manager who leads from the front and other times you work for an office bound manager who believes very much in the chain of command.

over all the company is very well ran, to what sometimes feels like ridiculous high standards with more red tape added each year, but that's probably why they are the undisputed overlords of the pub restaurant companies, its hard to keep up with all the policies and procedures.

very little scope to progress from kitchen manager with the recent removal of the regional catering manager role, unless you are willing to transfer to the front of house, expect to remain in this role for a long time.

expect to work very unsociable hours as a kitchen manager, working from late morning to early evening 5 times a week.
Pros
bonus scheme, salary
Cons
very unsociable hours, judged unfairly on results
Ok workplace
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 June 2018
I didn't have a wonderful experience in this workplace, I felt as if the management had their favourites and treated new workers like kids regardless of the age. They were disrespectful on many occasions and we weren't allowed to say anything because of being on probation.
Pros
many hours if requested
Cons
bad management, horrible attitudes, bad pay, nasty work enviorment
Not a bad company
Cross Trained Team Member (Former Employee) –  Rhyl, Denbighshire16 June 2018
I worked here for six years and all in all not to bad it had its moments but all jobs do.

Made a lot of great friends who I still see.

Long hours not great breaks but many aspects made up for this!

Free shares each year ,I sold mine the week I left which luckily they were at a high price so didn’t do to bad on.

Bonuses if pub is doing well, free money is always good

Training side is good but you do need to ask a few times if you want to progress
Pros
Free shares bonuses
Cons
Long hours, some bad Rotas
Not at nice
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, Kent15 June 2018
Not the best job to work at as cannot take holidays when you want ie Rochester kent and you always have to work weekends and Christmas and boxing day and it you take one day off not well you have to fill in back to work from
Fun workplace
Barman (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear13 June 2018
This role is not too strenuous, except from peak times (friday and saturday nights). There is a range of skills necessary including money handling, time management and pouring a good pint.
Fun simple job
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ickenham13 June 2018
Hectic during the food rush times but that's to be expected, managers were lovely and helpful and would lend a hand during especially busy times. Overall a pretty good job, especially for students and young people.
great
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire13 June 2018
loved the job just not enough hours. no set working week. drastic changes in week to week hours. so in that respect i hated it. the job its self was brilliant
productive and fun working environment
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 June 2018
i thoroughly enjoyed my time here. During my time i was able to gain various skills, develop my ability to work in a team and under time constraints, as well as independent work.
Pros
positive working environment
horrible
n/a (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London11 June 2018
unorganised, management was terrible. hours were completely different to those offered and the job i was made to do didn't match the description i was given of the said job.
Good flexible hours
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Falmouth9 June 2018
Demanding and hard work. Can have a lot of controversy within the company that makes it hard to get along with some people.
On the plus side it is very flexible with hours and means you can have a whole day off and only work in the evening of you so wish.
Busy and short staffed
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby8 June 2018
I was glad to leave. Stressfull kitchen environment, strong divide between bar staff and kitchen staff, rude customers, long hard shifts really started wearing me down.
Great employers
Bar Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport County7 June 2018
JD Wetherspoon are great employers. The rate of pay is always above minimum wage, you can work as many or as little hours as you would like. You receive great bonuses. The managers vary from pub to pub but majority of them are great! Easy to take holidays and time off. I love working for them. Its better than other pub chains I have worked for.
Pros
50% off, bonuses, above minimum wage, good advancement
Cons
late hours, weekend work, event times
Waitress/Barmaid (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth7 June 2018
Fast pace environment. Management were always fantastic. Hardest part were the late nights. Most enjoyable part was working as a team, everyone tended to help each other out and really work together.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Late nights
A good start
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 June 2018
-Good place to start if you are a student or recent graduate.
-Great team but terrible management who tend to mistreat newbies so have a tough skin and just focus on doing your best.
-Newbies tend to be saddled with all the jobs no one one wants to do and are at times given a task that requires more than one person and expected to finished in a very short time frame.
-Expect blame for events that you can't control so make sure to be as organised and time efficient as possible.
-Make sure all important commitments don't clash with work as one can be blamed for that even if it was unexpected.
-If you actually want to learn something then build good relations with your team mates because that is how you survive and keep your job.
Pros
Great Pay and Nice company benefits
Productive and Fun workplace
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Streatham Hill6 June 2018
Learned a number of skills, including money handling and communication skills.
Allowed me to develop skills to transfer to other jobs.
Always had a fun and friendly staff to work with and welcomed me to the team quickly.
Productive and fun work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London5 June 2018
Working there was very fun and all of the stuff working there was very friendly. Each day was very different and you have had a lot of opportunities in order to grow as a person
Ok
BAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire3 June 2018
Certainly not a bad place to work, the jobs is usual for waitressing/bar work. However a few issues, for example the different shifts every week can make it hard to plan ahead, also got asked to leave early or stay late with very little notice (as in on the spot) . While it was not complusory (as it can’t be without reasonable notice) it was clear when you had made a manager or duty manager unhappy. Some pulled their weight more than others. Like any work place it depends on wether you get on with your colleagues or not. Unless you worked full time then there was Not opportunity for advancement, though those that did seemed to be advanced very quickly.
Pros
Decent pay for under 21’s, flexible hours for students
Cons
Short breaks, very hot, not given new uniforms
Great
Full Time Position (Bartender) (Former Employee) –  Epsom3 June 2018
Its a great place to work the niight shifts are the best but sadly long into the early morning of the morning but other than that the weekends are amazing to work, always busy and theres always something to do. the staff are great to work beside and even management are a great laugh

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.