Islington Council Employee Reviews

Welcome to he.ll, they discriminate and bully their staff
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Town hall10 March 2019
If your manager dislikes you, your life is made a living he.ll. I have been subjected to bullying, victimisation, harassment and discrimination on the grounds of my disability. A group of managers, including the HR business partner have tried to actively push me out of my job. It’s he.ll on earth, I would not recommend this employer to anyone! I’m currently taking them to an employment tribunal.
Pros
Cons
They say their an equal opportunity employer but their not!
Mismanaged
Scheduler Planner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 January 2019
management are narrow-minded and abuse their powers.
they deduct 15 minutes pay if your 1 minute late for all temporary workers but do not do the same for permanent staff.
Pros
1 Hour Lunch, Good Pay
Cons
Colleagues
Hardworking team.
Locum Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Archway2 January 2019
I worked as a locum social worker in the north adults team. The work is very hard but the team and manager very supportive. Was not treated as a locum. The manager made it worth while as she fostered a family climate. That is we spend more time with each other more than we do with our blood family. So she ensured we interacted well which took some of the work pressure off. Would apply for a position if advertised.
Pros
Team spirit.
Cons
Work is dumped in the team.
Producative working environment
Apprentice Painter and Decorator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London21 November 2018
While working with Islington council I am working towards my NVQ qualification which my contact with the company is now nearly finished. I underwent completing theory & practical work at Hackney community college and completed jobs while at work which were painting walls, ceilings and doors.
Pros
Achieved NVQ qualification
Excellent place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Islington Town Hall12 October 2018
I have been doing internship in Islington Council, Exclisive Economy Department for two month and I can say that it was an amazing experience. Excellent team, perfect workplaces.
supportive environment
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Islington, Greater London25 September 2018
A typical day at work involved office time which included a number of admin responsibilities as well as key worker responsibilities, followed by meetings and then direct work with the children.

I have learned how to support challenging and complex children with autism as well as work systemically with families
Completely depends on your line manager
Registration Services (Former Employee) –  London5 August 2018
Some managers hear are on a power hype. Almost a dictatorship, unless you are in their inner circle you better be careful. A lot of staff scared to speak up though a mix of fear of rocking the boat and also knowing nothings ever going to change.

This isn't in all departments/managers. I've worked in a few different services across the Council myself but have heard from other staff as well. A few bad managers are damaging the Council and create a toxic environment.

Happy I'm out of this now. I'd still say it's an OK place to work, but if you are happy with your line manager, get out before they get you out (remember who write your reference...).
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Power Hungry Managers, Lack of innovation or space to share ideas
A nice place to work
Nursery Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London29 May 2018
I have enjoyed networking with a range of professionals to share knowledge and skills. Everyone is friendly and good place to work. There are opportunities for professional development if you prove yourself.
Working environment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 April 2018
The managers are extremely lazy. Mangers tend to sit in the office doing crosswords and taking 2 hour breaks. They do not know how to be confidential as many other member of staff find out your personal business. Also they have their favourite people which is clearly apparent as they will always give them extra hours and the new positions. Also a horrible working environment.
Pros
Cons
Managers
good
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 March 2018
Ont he whole the people here are great. The council work hard despite having their budget slashed year after year. Not much scope to progress in admin.
Creative, fun and productive
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  London12 March 2018
I enjoyed working here because of the great teams, managers and work environment.
It is a multicultural environment, and the Council provides great support.
The hardest part of my job is leaving and the most enjoyable part is having a supportive manager who ensures that i enjoy every day at work.
Pros
The company provide flexi hours plus an hours lunch
Cons
The area is very expensive.
Lovely place to work
Finance Apprentice (Former Employee) –  7 Newington Barrow Way N7 7EP10 January 2018
A typical day at work consists of a lot of tasks and problems to work through and solve.

I log on to my emails to see if any urgent tasks have arrived enabling me to plan my day. We have deadlines with certain tasks so I need to prioritise my workload in order of importance ie Bank Reconciliation and assisting senior finance officers. Other tasks such as scanning and filing are just as important but can wait till my main tasks are completed.
I have been on an a 2 year apprenticeship with Islington Council and have learnt a lot. I can conduct myself in a professional way in the work place and how to challenge and interact with colleagues e.g if having problems with a piece of work, to raise with my line manager to discuss and address the issue. Another is reconciling accounts, more in-depth of certain benefits and people's entitlement.

Management have always been good and approachable to me which has given me confidence. I have regular supervision sessions with my manager so we can discuss my workload, training and other issues I may have, which I find rewarding.

The work place is very diverse in people and culture which I really enjoy. I find this beneficial as you get more insight on people's day to day lives, backgrounds and ideas.

The hardest part of the job is to get the right balance of prioritising workloads but I have learnt to organise myself to increase my efficiency. It can become stressful if you let the work build-up, hence why I have ensured to stay on top and up to date with it all.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I get
  more... when helping clients and hearing their kind remarks when doing so. I find this very rewarding in itself to know I have helped someone. Also my colleagues I work with are very friendly and approachable. I enjoy speaking to them about all different topics when appropriate.  less
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
No permanent jobs after my apprenticeship
overworked undervalued
Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
There is a huge pressure on teachers in schools with a lot of pressure and not as much support. CPD is good although there is not much place for putting new ideas into practice.
productive and fun workplace
Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  London10 December 2017
I have found Isington Council to be a great place to work at, it has been amazing in meeting very skilled individuals at what they do and being able to learn from.

The workplace culture isnt like much else ive experience, if you need help, just never be afraid to ask.
Good to work for
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Islington28 November 2017
Liked the people I worked with enormously. Working with the public is both rewarding and hard. The job was also stressful at times, especially when targets had to be met
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
The stress
Great
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Islington10 November 2017
post was very good when I was working for them and I enjoyed working with the old young and disabled. I loved working with the public as well and dealing with all walks of life
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Islington25 September 2017
Typical day starts around 8am - 10am.... morning meeting to discuss the outcomes expected that week. Everyday is different, some day starts with off site working and other would start with finishing of reports of currently events.

Providing support your team is a daily occurrence, this is a short part of the culture within Islington council. working as part of team is essential to moving forward and progressing in your post.

The hardest part of the day can sometimes be trying to meet deadlines, if your work load is spread over several projects. Time management is key with projects.

Winning awards and receiving recognition for your, and the team work is a very enjoyable part of doing a role lie this.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no overtime
productive and a fast paced work environment
Translator (Former Employee) –  Islington, Greater London1 September 2017
1- Reads through or listens to material in one language, ascertains understanding of the meaning and context of that material, and converts it into a second language, making sure to preserve the original meaning.
2-Translates online, video, and television media by providing subtitles.
3-Translates a variety of documents including literary, legal, research, technical, educational, and commercial materials.
Pros
good salary
Cons
N/a
Helpful collegues
Caretaker/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Islington, Greater London9 August 2017
Enjoy the daily greeting of tenants at work
I learned to apply my social skills with physical and technical skills
I diverse community of people which is always nice
Exciting and rewarding
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Islington, Greater London2 May 2017
My typical day at work is busy and can vary from day to day. Customer come into the government office for various things, and have query's they need to deal with sometimes if its for them looking for a home.

Each day we have different tasks to do, i.e document receipt queue, parking, or Council or Housing benefit query's.