Islington Council Employee Reviews

Working environment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 April 2018
The managers are extremely lazy. Mangers tend to sit in the office doing crosswords and taking 2 hour breaks. They do not know how to be confidential as many other member of staff find out your personal business. Also they have their favourite people which is clearly apparent as they will always give them extra hours and the new positions. Also a horrible working environment.
Pros
Cons
Managers
Creative, fun and productive
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  London12 March 2018
I enjoyed working here because of the great teams, managers and work environment.
It is a multicultural environment, and the Council provides great support.
The hardest part of my job is leaving and the most enjoyable part is having a supportive manager who ensures that i enjoy every day at work.
Pros
The company provide flexi hours plus an hours lunch
Cons
The area is very expensive.
Lovely place to work
Finance Apprentice (Former Employee) –  7 Newington Barrow Way N7 7EP10 January 2018
A typical day at work consists of a lot of tasks and problems to work through and solve.

I log on to my emails to see if any urgent tasks have arrived enabling me to plan my day. We have deadlines with certain tasks so I need to prioritise my workload in order of importance ie Bank Reconciliation and assisting senior finance officers. Other tasks such as scanning and filing are just as important but can wait till my main tasks are completed.
I have been on an a 2 year apprenticeship with Islington Council and have learnt a lot. I can conduct myself in a professional way in the work place and how to challenge and interact with colleagues e.g if having problems with a piece of work, to raise with my line manager to discuss and address the issue. Another is reconciling accounts, more in-depth of certain benefits and people's entitlement.

Management have always been good and approachable to me which has given me confidence. I have regular supervision sessions with my manager so we can discuss my workload, training and other issues I may have, which I find rewarding.

The work place is very diverse in people and culture which I really enjoy. I find this beneficial as you get more insight on people's day to day lives, backgrounds and ideas.

The hardest part of the job is to get the right balance of prioritising workloads but I have learnt to organise myself to increase my efficiency. It can become stressful if you let the work build-up, hence why I have ensured to stay on top and up to date with it all.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I get
  more... when helping clients and hearing their kind remarks when doing so. I find this very rewarding in itself to know I have helped someone. Also my colleagues I work with are very friendly and approachable. I enjoy speaking to them about all different topics when appropriate.  less
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
No permanent jobs after my apprenticeship
overworked undervalued
Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
There is a huge pressure on teachers in schools with a lot of pressure and not as much support. CPD is good although there is not much place for putting new ideas into practice.
productive and fun workplace
Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  London10 December 2017
I have found Isington Council to be a great place to work at, it has been amazing in meeting very skilled individuals at what they do and being able to learn from.

The workplace culture isnt like much else ive experience, if you need help, just never be afraid to ask.
Good to work for
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Islington28 November 2017
Liked the people I worked with enormously. Working with the public is both rewarding and hard. The job was also stressful at times, especially when targets had to be met
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
The stress
Great
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Islington10 November 2017
post was very good when I was working for them and I enjoyed working with the old young and disabled. I loved working with the public as well and dealing with all walks of life
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Islington25 September 2017
Typical day starts around 8am - 10am.... morning meeting to discuss the outcomes expected that week. Everyday is different, some day starts with off site working and other would start with finishing of reports of currently events.

Providing support your team is a daily occurrence, this is a short part of the culture within Islington council. working as part of team is essential to moving forward and progressing in your post.

The hardest part of the day can sometimes be trying to meet deadlines, if your work load is spread over several projects. Time management is key with projects.

Winning awards and receiving recognition for your, and the team work is a very enjoyable part of doing a role lie this.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no overtime
productive and a fast paced work environment
Translator (Former Employee) –  Islington, Greater London1 September 2017
1- Reads through or listens to material in one language, ascertains understanding of the meaning and context of that material, and converts it into a second language, making sure to preserve the original meaning.
2-Translates online, video, and television media by providing subtitles.
3-Translates a variety of documents including literary, legal, research, technical, educational, and commercial materials.
Pros
good salary
Cons
N/a
Helpful collegues
Caretaker/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Islington, Greater London9 August 2017
Enjoy the daily greeting of tenants at work
I learned to apply my social skills with physical and technical skills
I diverse community of people which is always nice
Indifferent to employees' achievements and well-being
Full Time ESOL Tutor (Former Employee) –  Adult and Community Learning21 July 2017
Awful management style in the Adult and Community Learning Service, not caring about employees' well-being and not acknowledging the professionalism and outstanding performances of their tutors.
Pros
within walking distance of my home address
Cons
no team spirit, dictatorial management style
Exciting and rewarding
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Islington, Greater London2 May 2017
My typical day at work is busy and can vary from day to day. Customer come into the government office for various things, and have query's they need to deal with sometimes if its for them looking for a home.

Each day we have different tasks to do, i.e document receipt queue, parking, or Council or Housing benefit query's.
Training day
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Caledonian Road Station3 April 2017
Excellent training provided. Answering calls in a councils call centre. Responding to contact centre queries, liaison with residents, team leaders and planners on a daily basis.
Lovely group of people to work with. One team leader was difficult to please
Pros
Supportive collegues
Cons
Small lunch room
Terrible Employers
oooooo (Former Employee) –  oooooo24 March 2017
Nepotism, Bullying, Favouritism and all round unpleasant place to work. Don't touch the place with a barge pole if you have a conscious and any morals.
Pros
Cons
Slightly better than being on the dole
great place to work
Concierge officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 February 2017
Fantastic place to work great work and life balance offered. Plenty of training available to all if you want to learn this is the place to be
Pros
work life balance
decent working environment
Payroll officer (Current Employee) –  Highbury & Islington Station3 February 2017
Depending on the point in the paycycle it can sometimes e very busy and at other times not that busy. We have many different control groups that we service.
fun workplacce
Trainee Educational Psychologist (Former Employee) –  East London, Greater London29 January 2017
Great place to work in. Very supportive team and working culture. Very accommodating and flexible management team. A diverse range of needs within schools making the role very interesting.
organised and friendly
waste management (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London1 January 2017
good hours, rate of pay and friendly staff. great opportunity overall with the chance to learn about other sectors within the department.
Busy environment and varied experience
Trainee finance assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2016
I learnt so much from my time in the voluntary training opportunity. It was my first experience of working in a large local authority organisation. I was able to use the accounting packages currently used in the local authority.
No good
Roofer (Former Employee) –  North London10 October 2016
The job title was not what was advertised and hours were cut when they felt like it I had a bad experience with them guys has was a roofer but doing other works not relating my trade.