intertek Employee Reviews

Might be worth 12 months to gain lab experience
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire14 April 2019
Probably worth working for Intertek for 12 months to get the name on your CV. Don't expect an exciting career, the Leigh site is badly managed. There are too many non-technical staff members (employed by previous management who took would employ anyone with a pair of hands that could use scissors) who cannot flex and pick up other areas, so if you are technical and capable, expect to do most of the work while other people sit around chatting. Far too many mistakes made that are corrected without informing whoever made the mistake of how to do things properly and when they are informed they either don't listen or don't remember (see comment about non-technical above). This result in the same mistakes over and over again, which is very frustrating when you are trying to do a job under extreme time pressure. Work for 12 months, don't try too hard, do the minimum required and then put their name on your CV and get yourself something better.
Pros
A recognised company name for your CV
Cons
Terribly managed, working with non-technical people in a technical environment, money isn't great
poor leadership team
Commercial and Operational Director (Former Employee) –  uk20 March 2019
unfortunately, the senior management team is now made up of people focused on their own career development rather than their teams. subsequently there is a distinct lack of leaders in the organisation which is reflected in the high staff turnover that the company now experiences.
Pros
salary is competitive
Cons
weak leadership
Poor Management
Chemist Inspector (Former Employee) –  UK20 December 2018
Enjoyed the Job, Hated the way the business was run. Never thanked for going the extra mile, instead it was just assumed you would always do it with no thanks. people and work scope is good but management definitely needs man management courses. regularly breaking working time directive with days off. once went 3 months with no days off.
Pros
varied work, interesting
Cons
Long hours, no days off, Poor management
Awful place do not work here
Sample controller (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire21 May 2018
Awful management who are lazy and do not actually do anything, dump everything on you within days of you starting with no support whatsoever!!! Anytime anything goes wrong even if you didn’t know you will be blamed for it!!! I cannot stress enough do not work for this company!! Anyone who is different they do not keep for very long I have seen it recently!! Breaks are non existent and overtime is not paid correctly if at all!!
Pros
Cons
Everything they do!!!
Varied role, enjoyable work.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire16 May 2018
Overall good experience, learnt a lot, the work was enjoyable and colleagues friendly and helpful, could be stressful due to deadlines and company expectations kept changing.
Pros
Varied work, helpful collegues.
Cons
Work expectation
Productive workplace
Marine Cargo Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port8 May 2018
Working in Ellesmere port undertaking independant inspection of oil, gas and chemical products working locally in the Ellesmere port area or beyond in the wider industry representing high profile business working as an independent assessor.
Useful stepping stone
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kent17 March 2018
Laid back place to work, can be quiet and then suddenly very busy. Management is questionable at times, the 'no blame' policy is NOT employed.
Wage is good for what the job is, but you're likely to get stuck on the same salary for years before they will progress you. It's a useful stepping stone, but not somewhere you should stick around for too long.
Management aren't showing their staff how to perform maintenance and trouble shooting on equipment, there should be work-shops to boost analysts' confidence in the machines which they're working on as opposed to only knowing the bare-minimum i.e what buttons to press. Knowledge is power! But it's not being shared at Intertek.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Great staff, great equipment, great company
Crude oil assay technician (Former Employee) –  Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey6 March 2018
Health and safety was paramount, management were very professional, performance based bonuses and wage increases, good opportunity for career progression and other ad hoc learning

Shift pattern:
Week 1. 7am -3pm
Week 2. 3pm - 11pm
Week 3. 11pm - 7am
Pros
Good hours, health and safety was paramount, great equipment and laboratory development
great place to work
Legionella Risk Assessor (Former Employee) –  Bridge of Don22 January 2018
I worked with an incredible team with a brilliant line manager. Despite being a large company it had the feel of a small one where everyone's opinions were valued and listened to.
a good environment to start in
Laboratory Analyst Grade 2 (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City18 January 2018
a typical day can start at 6am or 2 pm... depending on your shift pattern, its not so bad , but it does cut into your social life a wee bit as opposed to a 9-5 work day. Alternating weeks is pretty good, so effectively every other week you get a long or a "short" weekend.
Pros
work at your pace
Cons
shifts
Extremely hard work, unappreciated by management
Shift Technician (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull10 December 2017
Typical day , work until you drop , no tea breaks.
I learned that managers really can lie.
Place is run on nepotism by the manager with favourite staff getting all the perks while everyone else does ALL the work.
Forced to work with lazy unprofessional colleagues who come in drugged up but expected to pick up there work for them.
Job is very good , staff and management very bad!.
Pros
Working close to home
Cons
Extremely hard work
Unorganised and badly managed
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  UK14 November 2017
Not very well organised, no one has gone over basic issues with me such as how annual leave works, who to contact if im sick or running late etc.
My working hours are different to what I was told they would be when I accepted the job.
No flexible working, no work life balance.
Doubt if i will stay with this company longterm.
Salary is ok but a bit on the low side
There seem to be too many managers some of whom need to go on a course to learn people skills and nadic management skills
Unappreciated, no motivation, no support, bad place to work.
Get rid of the bad management and back stabbers.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
No flexible working, not great salary, unskilled managers
Did not enjoy
Boat Sampler (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen31 October 2017
Boring place full of Geeks!

I worked long hours for little return.
Some of the vessels I visited were dangerous and I feared I would fall and injure myself.

Many of the vessels arrived after hours or in the middle of the night.
Cons
Trabajo demandante pero justo y divertido
Senior Chemist (Former Employee) –  Sunbury on Thames, UK11 July 2017
Intertek fue mi ultima experiencia laboral en UK antes del retorno de mi familia y yo a España.El trabajo era dinamico, variado y con contacto directo con clientes.Mi promocion a Senior Chemist llego con esta compañia a la que aprecio como si fuera mi familia.
Pros
Flexibilidad horaria
Cons
Falta de comunicacion
Productive work place
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Leicester, UK20 June 2017
very nice supervisor who is very considerate and she helps with all problems relating to the companies policy and regulation in order to be able to find the work that you are doing is more suitable for the person working there.
Pros
Free transportation
Friendly Faces
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Dyce, Aberdeen City23 April 2017
I only worked here for a week on work experience for school, but each day I learned something new, I was placed at different stations in the lab and was shown what each worker does and why they do it. I got to learn about each person individually and I enjoyed everyday. I was allowed to try some of the experiments that take place in the lab and everyone had a great time.
Pros
So many different jobs to choose from
Cons
Some roles involve a lot of waiting rather than actual work
Varied and challenging
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, Essex12 April 2017
Always a varied and challenging day that brings something different.
Plenty of interaction with other departments, people are friendly
Local Managers are good and are driven to make the customer come first.
Plenty of different roles and departments, Intertek is a huge FTSE 100 company in over 100 countries
For some this allows the ability to travel and see the world
A good company to work for in my opinion
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Can be long hours
Very Recourseful and sorportive place to work
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  UK and Europe10 April 2017
5 Star.Very good place to work.The training culture is excellent.Intertek has 0 tolerance on many things things like alcohol,drug,Health and Safety.The technical cordinators are un equaled,Intertek is probably the best company to work for in the work.I learnt a lot through the company and I have been given orportunity to serve with me skills,exprience and industry knowledge,
liked working here, friendly people and an interesting job
Junior Co-ordinator & Invoicing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartford, Kent, UK2 March 2017
liked working here, friendly people and an interesting job, good chance for progression - I got a promotion within months, I only left because they moved office and I moved house so the journey took too long
Pros
very sociable
Teamwork
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire16 February 2017
Great for working either as an individual, with room to expand knowledge and a great team to work with also. Team morale never filed. Support from direct line management was fantastic.
Home work life balance good. Rewards given from the companies rewards website were also good.
Room to expand knowledge great; unfortunate for redundancies and redeployment's.
Pros
Being an integral part of the business
Cons
Redundancies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at intertek. Our community is ready to answer.