Intelligent Office UK Ltd

Intelligent Office UK Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews
Featured review
Intelligent Office UK Ltd selected this as a representative review
An excellent company to work for
Having only been employed with IO for a matter of months, it is hard to provide an in-depth review of them as employers, however from what I have seen so far I have been very happy.

Whilst the salary and benefits are not the greatest available out there, the dynamics of the legal sector and the challenges you are presented with make the days fly by.

I have been provided with more than enough support from other Team Leaders within the Company, whilst also being supported by more senior management from day one and moving forward as and when required.

What made me join was the promise of recognition for a job well done and the opportunities that are available for people looking to progress within the company. The rewards and recognition within this company for those employees who work hard are phenomenal and I would strongly recommend them to anyone looking for a new job.
Pros
Great recognition, show good consideration to their staff
Cons
Meeting client expectations!
11 March 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We're delighted to hear that you receive support from other team leaders across the business; even though we are spread out across the whole of the UK, there's a great network of people out there to help you when you need it.
bad working environment
Intelligent Office is one of the worst work force I have ever been a part of, they do not care about you or how you feel, the take pleaser in making people stressed and upset, they lie and they get people to spy on you and watch your every move, do not work for Intelligent Office, they will give you depression and work related stress. I will never recommend them to anyone
Varied tasks and room to develop
Started off as an assistant and was scoped out to be on the trajectory to be a team leader. Applied internally and went through the interview process and was successful. There is room for progression if you apply yourself to available opportunities. Team leader and manager were supportive in developing my skills as an individual and to be a team leader.

A typical working day can be very full on with ad hoc client requests, problems to solve and tight deadlines. No two days are the same. Emphasis on serving the client and providing the best we can for them. Different teams on site work closely together so there are good relationships built. The client appreciates the value Intelligent Office bring to them and often thank us for our hard work.

Managers work with their management team to scope out plans for the teams and also tackle any issues present. Team leaders work closely with their manager and also with the assistants to provide guidance and clarity on tasks. Teams work together on projects and also focus on individual tasks. It is also easy to build up a good rapport with the client on a managed services site.

The hours for working could be flexed a little as full time hours total 37.5 altogether. Including 1 hour unpaid lunch break can make the day seem quite long. Sometimes there is a disconnect from the rest of the Intelligent Office teams and sites as everything is site-based. Head office send out emails but rarely make visits to site so it is harder to see their vision for the company through email.

This job allows me to demonstrate and develop my skills
 - more...
Pros
Focus on personal development, ample training, flexible benefits, close-knit teams, understanding managers in difficult situations
Cons
More flexible working (hours or working from home), lack of interaction with rest of the company, some policies are outdated, clear divide between IO and client
One of the worst places to work.
A very archaic and demotivating working environment especially for Floor Support staff. There is a problem with senior management, the dress code is very backwards and borderline sexist and they have many patronising rules that seem to only apply to the younger people, usually floor support.
Senior Management will not listen to any concerns and as you can see on here, they arequick to defend themselves rather than try to take on constructive criticism. One of the main reasons there are issues, how can you improve if you don’t see an issue with the current situation?
Pros
Genuinely cannot think of any.
Cons
- Disorganised management, rigid ways of thinking, archaic system of working, high turnover of staff due to unhappy staff, poor pay.
8 January 2020
We are sorry that you didn't have a positive experience working for Intelligent Office and thank you for taking the time to leave feedback albeit it negative.
Working in a legal environment isn't for everyone, it is high pressured and has to be highly disciplined in order to support the lawyers who expect us to deliver constantly high standards of work. That being said we do want our employees to have fun at work, which the majority do.

With reference to our dress code which is smart casual, we do have a responsibility to look professional because we are professionals and our support services are second to none - we take pride in our appearance - but these standards aren't for everybody and we appreciate that.

We have robust procedures to manage any employee concerns or issues and your monthly meetings with your manager should have been a platform for discussion. Our Centres of Excellence are a great platform for our employees to put forward ideas to improve what we do and the best ideas generally come from our employees on the ground doing the job, this has been proven time and time again.

We sincerely hope that you find a job that you enjoy and that matches your expectations and thank you again for your feedback.
Please do not work for this company!!!
No overtime, No sick pay, Overly strict when it comes to what you wear. Managers preach about being professional but are far from professional. Bad communication between staff and managers. The managers adopt a do as we say not as we do attitude. Extremely underpaid. No chance for advancement. Not very good benefits. Managers will throw work onto to you that you had no training for and expect you to know how to do it. Treated very poorly overall. This wasn't just one site. I worked at many sites for Intelligent Office over my 18 months employed with them. Was the case at every site. Unpaid lunch too. Please do not work for this company!!!
Pros
None at all
Cons
Everything mentioned above
24 September 2019
We are sorry that you haven't had a good experience working for us and thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I do need to correct you though about sick pay and overtime. Our occupational sick pay is actually quite generous - but like with all schemes they don't go on for ever. There is also overtime for anyone that works over the 37.5 hours per week. It may be that you chose to work on an occasional contract where you do not qualify for sick pay but you still should have got overtime if you worked over the standard 37.5 hours within a week. As we work in a professional legal environment we are very precise about how we look in order to present the professional image required by law firms, as with the way we work, in order to support the lawyers we have to be disciplined and professional. It isn't an environment that everyone can cope with. We also have a very open and honest culture and discussions about opportunity for advancement can be discussed during your monthly one to one meetings, as can any concerns that you have about your working life. There is huge opportunity within the company for you if you have the right approach and attitude. Our salaries are regularly benchmarked we consider them to be fair. Finally - paid lunch breaks - I think you will find the companies that pay their employees for their lunch breaks are few and far between particularly in the private sector. We wish you very good luck finding what you are looking for however, and sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us.
Such an amazing company to work in
Ive worked in some other law firms where no management existed at all and no real structure. With IO, they have amazing benefits, great job structure in place and managers work hard to keep you and the client happy! Lots of places to be promoted and plenty of options. Love working with them!
8 January 2020
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, it is so good to read! We really strive to look after and develop our employees. There is a great future for anyone that has the right attitude - you don't have to have loads of qualifications just loads of energy and commitment.
Thank you! May you have many happy years with us.
Just Awful
I spent some time working for IO in London and it was truly awful. Working in a basement with, no windows, no kitchen or area to eat. Like others have said and I totally get - Stepford wives. Its such a weird vibe. Its not a job, it was community service and you were treated that way. I felt sorry for the many who once worked for prestigious Law firms end up working for this horrid company.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Poor pay, hours, moral, atmosphere etc etc etc
A place where your effort and dedication are recognized.
I am working with Intelligent Office since November of last year and I am really happy because since I got here, I've been treated with kindness and respect and I've always received the support that I needed to learn and to do a good job. I have no complaints at all about Intelligent Office. All my Colleagues, the PA's and FE's have supported me since the beginning. And I feel so blessed to work in a place where all my effort and dedication are recognized day by day.
Pros
1 hour of lunch
24 June 2019
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback - as an organisation we pride ourselves on our respect for each other and appreciating everything our employees do to create the perfect working environment for Lawyers and PAs. It is people like you that make us a great company. Thank you and we hope you will stay with us and continue to grow and develop in your role.
Worst job ever
Avoid at all costs. Management is a dictatorship!
Always looking for people to blame rather than holding themselves accountable. Miserable place to be
Pros
Team
24 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and naturally we are sorry that you haven't had a good experience working for us. Working in the legal sector isn't for everyone. It is a fast paced and exacting and working on reception is particularly challenging because everything has to be perfect to create the 5* first impression our clients expect. We do, however, hope you have found something that you enjoy more and is commensurate with your skills.
Bristol Intelligent Office
This was the worst job I've ever had in my life.

The managers severely lacked in professionalism, communication and were unappreciative.

The only time I enjoyed my job was when the managers were not present, which made it easy to do my job in a comfortable environment, and I would not have to suffer micro managing from a team leader who is incompetent.

The team are great, shame the same cannot be said for management.
Pros
The Team
Cons
Managers incompetence
30 April 2019
Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your time at Intelligent Office, and naturally we are sad that the experience wasn't good for you. The relationship between manager and direct report is, of course, critical and not every relationship can be successful. The manager cannot by definition always be popular, they have a tough job to do to deliver the 5 star service required by our clients; and they can't always deliver good news. Clearly working in this environment wasn't for you and we hope that you found a job more suitable for you.
Best company I have worked for
I was TUPE transferred to Intelligent Office as Business Services Manager. The transfer to IO was the best thing that could have happened to me. In the 6 years I have worked directly with IO I have learned more than in my entire career to date. I have been given opportunities to stretch myself and have been given the support to do so. The Corporate and HR teams are second to none, and the best I have come across in my 38 years of working, they are supportive and responsive and no-one needs to feel that they have to tackle problems on their own. In no other company have the company values been embraced by all. Security IIP Platinum in 2018 was testament to the solid training provided to the teams and career development throughout the company. I have met some inspiration individuals throughout my time with IO both at management and assistant level. I would thoroughly recommend IO as an employer.
Pros
Supportive management and colleagues
Cons
None that I can think of
11 March 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us as much as we enjoyed having you!
Challenging
Working for IO was very challenging indeed, management are nice people but ... the company as a whole are not very streamlined and organised. Communication with staff very poor at times, a lot of chasing for queries. Very frustrating at times.
Pros
People nice, hours very flexible, overtime occasionally but not compulsory
Cons
PA roles very stressful and demanding
Very active roles excellent teamwork
Worked for the company for 7 years really enjoyed my time with Intelligent Office and learned and developed lots of my skills which i use today. I loved the teams that managed and we made great progress in learning and development. Full days work, never boring always busy!
Pros
Senior Management
Cons
Long days
1 March 2019
We're delighted that your 7 years with IO has given you the transferable skills for your next challenge. Keep doing great things! Thanks for your feedback.
Fantastic culture, a focus on growth & employee development
Friendly, open and encouraging culture. Collaborative working environment with great development opportunities for employees who want to grow, contribute and be part of the change. The variety and pace of the service delivery ensures that not one day is the same, there is a real sense of belonging within the organisation.
Pros
Focus on personal growth, coupled with the service delivery back to the client
Cons
Most organisations have things which they need to focus on, but the accreditation of IIP Platinum helps to improve everything that we do for our people
1 March 2019
Thanks for your feedback. As you know, Teamwork is one of our values and we're very happy to hear that you feel part of a collaborative working environment - it really makes a difference, doesn't it.
Awful company,avoid!
The management are terrible, it's so disorganised they've clearly had no training and no previous management experience.
Not a very diverse company, everyone is white and middle class!

The dress code is archaic, forced to wear make up.

No training for new starters!

No chance for progression and it's a poorly paid admin job!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, poorly organised rotas, no benefits or rewards.
1 March 2019
Thanks very much for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to respond to you. We're disappointed to read your comments of course and sad that this is your perception of IO.

We're very proud of how diverse our company is with colleagues from around 30 different countries, with almost as many ethnic origins and ranging in age from late teens to 80 years old. We have also in the last year launched a diversity and well-being programme to promote and increase awareness of related matters, such as gender equality, mental health and inclusion.

We work in a very corporate environment, with prestigious law and other professional services firms and our dress code is very important to us, our clients, and their customers. We're sorry that you found this archaic but we believe that the requirement to dress well in these circumstances is perfectly reasonable and something which by far the majority of our people like and indeed want to do.

We're sorry that you did not receive your 3 month induction/new starter training programme - we shall of course look into this to ensure all future new employees receive this.

And finally, we're sorry that you did not think you were paid enough for a role which you accepted with us. We endeavour to be very honest during the interview stage as to the requirements of the job and the corresponding salary so that candidates can make an informed decision about the role and package that is on offer.

We wish you well.
A forward thinking, fast paced company I'm proud to work for
As part of the corporate team I spend my time working on strategic initiatives to make the working lives of our people better, whilst also business partnering our teams on site on daily matters.

The management team are positive, developed and truly passionate about delivering an exceptional service to their clients.

The work-life balance is great, being a mum to two small children, I can't imagine working for a more supportive company who encourage me to have a career, and look after my children when they need me.

Our IIP Platinum award in 2018 speak volumes to the investment our staff receive - say no more!
Pros
Positive, passionate people who make it a joy to come to work
11 March 2019
Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that IO do what they say when it comes to promoting work-life balance and remembering that family are the most important thing.
Best job I've ever had
I've worked for the company for 10 years in a number of different roles. I had moved around a l,ot in my career before joining this organisation, but having joined IO I have found myself to be constantly challenged and pushed, which I have learned so much from. I find the demands of the company and the roles develop me and interest me in a way that working for other companies never did.
Whilst the hours are long and the demands are high, I do actually love my job. I have a great team and some amazing colleagues.

Although everyone has bad days - as do I, overall the values of the organisation really resonate with me and how I want to spend my time at work.
Pros
Development and intellectual challenges
11 March 2019
Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that you love the challenges that come your way. Not so good to hear about the long hours though - perhaps speak with your line manager about this at your next continuous feedback meeting.
Nice team - busy days
Love my team - we are really busy but every day goes so quickly. Manager is nice but I have more day to day interaction with my team leader who is great and know how to do everything so can train us.
The office is ok - a bit old fashioned and there is no staff canteen or break out space so we need to have lunch at our desks or go out which is expensive.
Pros
Great team - busy days
Cons
No canteen or place to have breaks
11 March 2019
Thanks so much for your feedback. As you know, we work in our clients' buildings and can't always influence the provision of facilities such as staff canteens or break-out spaces. We hope that having a great team beside you more than makes up for the lack of a canteen!
Worst company I've ever worked for
I've never in my life come across a worse company- they really are a joke. They don't care about their staff and they blatantly lie to both staff and clients. They treat their staff with utter contempt and micro manage them. It's like they want robots working for them, hence the SOPs for literally everything!
As someone else said, if you aren't a "yes sir no sir" person, they will make life so muserablel for you so that you leave. They are unscrupulous beyond belief!

They tried telling us what colour of nail varnish to wear! They even created a handbook which was like something from the 1940's.....brush your hair, wear lipstick, don't have smudged mascara, blend your foundation in ..... it was unbelieveable!!

I've never before come across a company like them.

They were so bad that my employer got rid of them as soon as they could, as have most of their other clients in the Bristol area.

Considering they call themselves Intelligent Office, they are the most unintelligent bunch I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Where would I start!!
11 March 2019
Thank you for taking the time to comment. However, I'm afraid that you are mistaken about the loss of clients in Bristol. To this day we have retained all of our Bristol clients although in some cases the services we provide to them may have changed (as is to be expected as technologies advance and business adapt).
Everyday is different
While outsourcing doesn’t always set the pulse racing working for IO certainly makes you consider the service industry in a different light. While the clients are very demanding they do, at least, understand value which is somewhat different to other sectors where it is very much a race to the bottom. My experience is that IO understands the value that it’s people deliver to its customers and work hard to implement tried and tested processes and procedures to improve working practices. Everyday presents new challenges and everyday is different however I think I can thrive in this environment
Pros
Modern working environment, great facilities
11 March 2019
Thanks for your comments, we're delighted to hear that you feel you can thrive within IO - I'm sure you can and are doing brilliantly.
Professional organisation
Hugely supportive team delivering to a demanding but fair client, not sure where I ultimately want to go from a career perspective but I feel I am getting an excellent grounding and building my CV
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Demanding client at times
11 March 2019
Thanks for your feedback. We do indeed work with demanding clients (as is the nature of law) but clients who value the excellent service we deliver to them.
With regards your career, please speak with either your line manager or HR business partner who will be very happy to discuss with you what your future could look like at IO. - we hope you have a long and varied career with us!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Intelligent Office UK Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6