Imperial War Museums Employee Reviews

Badly treat staff - Avoid
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 April 2019
Seriously awful and rude management. Never been so badly treated in a job. Horrendous that they think it is acceptable to treat their own staff in this manner. Change is needed.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 February 2019
Excellent colleagues and training! A privilege to have worked for them for over a year. A very welcoming and knowledgeable team, who are passionate about the museum's history.
Amazing place to work
Exhibition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duxford, Cambridgeshire11 May 2018
Fantastic place to work, fascinating history, great staff, fair negotiable hours. Always people on hand to help with anything you get stuck with. Work here if you get the chance!
Productive and fun workplace
Museum Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 December 2017
i enjoyed working in such a fascinating environment, my colleges were very friendly and made me feel very welcome, each day was a pleasure to working.
há sido una experiencia enriquededora en general
Supervis (Former Employee) –  Londres reino unido19 December 2017
En una atmósfera familiar con mucho respeto. Y una experiencia muy buena y positiva
Pros
seguro
Cons
no existentes
Gtreat until outsourced
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2017
When outsourced to save museum money, quality and enjoyment taken out of the role. no thought of the staff that were outsourced to a security company that then went in liquidation.
Over worked
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London20 November 2017
Too much work. no support. work/life balance poor. no infrastructure in place as office based in Ireland but for sites in England no back up for HR, Payroll etc.
Fun place, relaxed
Junior Web Developer# (Former Employee) –  london3 August 2017
Everybody was very relaxed and we were never overwhelmed by our workload. Everybody helped each other and our team occasionally go out for drinks.
I learned everything I know until now from this company, everyone was very disciplined and we would always maintain our set standards.
Management was a bit confusing, managers and higher rank people in my team dont seem to last very long and they keep changing.

most enjoyable part of the work would be to finish off tickets.
Pros
free entrance to almost all museums in UK even for paid exhibitions
Cons
Lack of management at times
Productive and fun workplace
Audio Engineer (Former Employee) –  London14 May 2017
Happy to work with, high standards, friendly, fast and helpful team.
Really need to have a good attention to details, make best use of existing skills and experience and also further my personal and professional development.
Pros
Free parking
Not the job for me
Retail and Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 March 2017
If you like sales then this will be the job for you. Sadly the role doesn't have much to do with the museum and the collection, save for the occasional enquiry from a customer, but you wouldn't know the answer as you never spend time in the exhibition. There are a lot of KPIs and there is a lot of pressure to hit your target for selling guidebooks. There is a lack of team spirit within this and a lot of staff are just out for themselves where the guidebooks are concerned.

It's an awkward and stressful commute for myself, which I would be fine with if the job was better and I fit in more with the staff. It's not that it's a bad job, it's just not the one for myself.
Pros
Pay
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 March 2017
Typical day started at 9am and didn't finish until 6pm in summer and 5pm in winter, We would set up the cash tills and see what group bookings we would have coming in. make sure the stock was always full and neat and tidy. Management was very friendly and we got along really well everybody got on well. The hardest part of the job was when we was very busy making sure we didn't have any shop lifters. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had veterans come aboard the ship we would treat them like royalty.
Fantastic Museum!
Visitor Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 October 2016
Great place to work! Knowledgable helpful staff, the displays are both interactive and informative and the WWI exhibition and The Secret War are a must see!
Positive experience
Data Analyst (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  London2 March 2016
I am in a team of unpaid volunteers at the IWM, helping out on a large and ambitious project. I get to learn a lot from my co-workers, on the tasks that we share. We all work remotely, and are dependent upon digital communication.

There is a lot of variety, and it is interesting to find out about some of the colourful characters that participated in the First World War.

When the project kicked off, the hosting company had greatly underestimated the support that was required,and had botched some of the data population. The fact these errors were not being addressed, and that user requests would be logged, and ignored for months, meant that the reputation of the project left a lot to be desired.

By engaging a team of volunteers, this has done a lot to salvage the reputation of the project. It can clearly be seen that user requests are being handled in a more timely manner than before. Users can be very frustrated, and this is reflected in their communication. Tactful responses need to be given, so as to pacify them and to manage their expectations.

In addition to the reactive tasks, of acting upon user requests, there are also the longer term proactive tasks, where data was incorrectly loaded and needs correcting, or instances where data duplications have been identified.

The scope of the project is to record all participants. Owing to the limited nature of some of the source documents (only soldiers who served overseas, only sailors who joined after 1898, massive gaps in Indian Army participants etc), the team is also engaged in identifying those who participated,
  more... but whose details have yet to be added.

When the Imperial War Museum was set up in 1917, its scope was to be 'so complete that every one who took part in the war, however obscurely, would find therein an example or illustration of the sacrifice he or she made' and it 'was not a monument of military glory, but a record of toil and sacrifice'.

With the help of my fellow team members, the crowdsourcing efforts of the general public, and the web technology of the 21st century, the declared aim - to record the Life Stories of over 8 million men and women from across Britain and the Commonwealth who served in uniform and worked on the home front - will be a reality and not a pipe dream.
Pros
Interesting activity, good interaction with team members
Cons
Lack of engagement from the hosting company FMP, not enough resourcing from the IWM
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Salford, ENG23 July 2015
As a volunteer I learnt a vast amount of knowledge along with learning the workings of a Museum. I received the chance to work with people of all ages and even the chance to work alongside World War Two veterans.
very hard work
Night Security Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 September 2014
to insure the safety of the building and its contence I worked in a small team working long shifts
Pros
good pay and pention
Museum Environment
Commercial Sales & Licensing Executive (Current Employee) –  Lambeth, ENG19 August 2014
My responsibilities as Image and Sound Sales Executive include searching and providing material for customer’s queries, either by campaign date, location or descriptive nature. In understanding and interpreting the photographs and sound records certain factors are important to convey in my daily tasks, such as accurate descriptions of the material and their context in conflict. I am aware of the chronology of items, as the Centenary approaches I am providing a vast amount of material, in a timely and efficient manner on a daily basis. I search through vast amounts of archive material on the IWM database, sifting through documents, photographs and sound material to provide answers to customer’s queries. It is vital to provide an impartial and IWM interpretation of the items, for example a BBC program focusing on a certain subject for broadcast/publication, I am in a position to provide diverse images from collections both private and official which conveys significance of the subject. Furthermore diverse queries and projects in the ISL department give me ample opportunity to delve into subjects relating to the IWM remit and exposing collections which have not been commercially highlighted before. There is constant negotiation for new digitisation of a collection, and studying the past and significance of this particular object or collection is necessary for me to understand in order to convey this to the client/general public. In my three years with Image Sales I have been involved in many new digitisation projects.
As licensing executive it is essential that I understand
  more... the copyright status for the IWM material as it is essential to know of the agreement for usage in terms of commercial and private use. For all licensing applications I receive, each item is checked for its copyright status and advice is given to the client when providing a licensing contract. This requires efficiency and time management for tasks and queries for publisher’s and broadcaster’s deadlines. I have completed all Copyright Fundamental courses and am in constant discourse with the IP Consultant and the IWM Curators to search for IP information where this is not available (or up to date). I am aware and attentive to the necessary legal and ethical restrictions for images and sound material, for example the sensitive nature of a subject displayed/conveyed and the correct audience for this material (commercial or academic). I am able to communicate reasons (and alternatives) clearly for commercial clients for unavailable items. I am able to make sound and efficient judgements on this on a daily basis. I have an understanding of some of the issues in affecting museum collections; UNESCO, CITES and circumstances pertaining to ethical and political issues.
My role as ISL Executive consists of answering diverse queries on a daily basis regarding historic or copyright research of IWM material. I was Project Co-ordinator, cataloguing 6,000 negatives from a large IWM Collection of WWI Aerial glass negatives, supplied to the Government in the North of France, working with the archaeologists from the University of Ghent (Belgium). I was liaising with all organisations on a professional level, meeting their requirements and representing the IWM. At present I am carrying out research in IWM Documents in my own time to locate untold stories of the Indian soldiers in WWI for 2 HLF funded organisations preparing Centenary commemorations for the Commonwealth solders taking place in local communities in the next four years by organisations the UK Punjab Heritage Fund and 1914 Sikhs. For the IWM I am currently researching and locating stories to share on Lives of the First World War and also to help promote Whose Remembrance, both projects initiated by the IWM Research team.
I speak with customers and clients of the IWM every day, multi-tasking email and phone call queries, handling sensitive information and skilfully relaying (sometimes repetitive) information. All communication, written and spoken, is clear, to the point and professional. I answer all image sales queries received via the Visitor Room, by telephone and by emails received in the general Image Sales account. The queries are diverse such as locating an image with descriptions or dates provided. Each query is answered speedily and efficiently, providing a detailed answer as well as the quickest and easiest way the client can obtain an image from us. My previous roles as front of house/customer services have provided me with good experience as I was placed on the IWM’s welcome (information) desk. I recognise the special attention required for individuals specialising in a specific subject and to the speed and accuracy required for a commercial clients. It is important to be flexible so that these customer needs can be met. The ideology of the IWM Commercial Project requires me to recognise and approach our clients with confidence whilst recognising a potential for a particular project. I have attended the London Book Fair (March 2013) and Foto Fringe (April 2013), talking to clients and their potential future needs. I also establish a relationship with consistent clients, ordering and licensing images for projects on a regular basis. Working closely with my Commercial Manager and the IWM Project Team to enhance an understanding/feature of the new Image Sales website, I am in a position to illustrate my experience with Image Sales customers and how to reach commercial customers who may have overlooked the IWM.
I have completed/refreshed the following courses; Project Management 2014, Excel Level 3 Advanced Calculations, Excel Level 2 Analysing Data, Excel Level 2 Advanced Calculations, Word Level 3 Working with others, Commercial Copyright Training 2012, Stephen Lloyd Minute Taking Course 2011. I use Excel on a regular basis, all image sales and licensing information is recorded and reported from these programs. Reports including slicers and pivot tables are prepared by me to show analysis of patterns in ordering and licensing. I find it important to learn new versions to keep me up-to-date with new Windows and to decrease the time it takes to produce reports. I am booked to attend the Microsoft Project course later this month. I use MS Outlook each day in correspondence with ISL clients and also to answer all ISL queries. I use the Collections Search page (and advise clients on how to use this also) to provide results and also to search for answers to solve queries. I am also working on the new ISL Website which involves a new outlook in providing images for clients. I will be selecting images, adding these to the website and key-wording these images so that they can be located by clients.
Pros
Learning and researching encouraged
Cons
Job movement and pay limited
good work experience
Restaurant & Retail Café Manager (Former Employee) –  london4 August 2014
good work experience

good team of collegues

serving different people everyday

good team of collegues
Pros
good team workers
fun place to work
Museum orientation volunteer (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays9 April 2014
Great place to volunteer and to visit Lol staff are very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
good training help full staff great environment
Cons
N/a
unproductive workplace, no real development.
Commis chef (Former Employee) –  Salford, ENG5 February 2014
A typical day would consist of a start at 8 am, setting up the bakery front with cakes, scones, pastries etc, and to make a vast array of sndwiches for adults and children too, then to stock up both fridges, set up the deli with fresh salads, sandwiches and cold food. Then we'd get to work on the hot food, there would always be a fresh soup of the day (vegetarian) and another vegetarian main, two freshly made sides to go with the main meal and there'd be two meat options too. At three, the hot food would be taken off and we'd clear up the kitchen. Management wasn't the greatest and certain co-workers were highly unpleasnt after a while and also some barely did any work. The hardest thing of all was meeting your criteria deadlines for an event but that was also the most enjoyable alongside serving customers, being able to converse with the people who were eating the foods of your labour and hearing postive feedback/constructive criticism.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours, no breaks most days
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Imperial War Museum North30 October 2013
Great place to work and to visit.
the staff and volunteers are all very helpful.
there is plenty to see and do its a great day out for all the family.
Pros
all the exhibits
Cons
n/a