Imperial War Museums

Imperial War Museums Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
I enjoyed it for a short term period and found it a good starting point and big learning curve. It gave me an opportunity to get various trainings and in job experiences.
The role was not that interesting and was certainly low paid but the people especially managers were really kind and sensitive and supportive.

They applied good equality and equitable practice.

The HR team and unions leads were nice and helpful - and generally supportive.

The pay was very low and the role I started on was not exactly the right role for me physically or ambitious wise- but my role as purchasing officer was a good start and all good learning curve and good fun.

I learned a lot about Britishness and British history and culture and the WWII history - and wider art there.

I did like art and paintings so was a great place to enjoy art too.
Pros
Stable art and service environment, good cultural environment, civil service pension was applicable then
Cons
Low pay and extra/long hours of work, flexi or wfh was not applicable for the type of role I started on there
The actual job is doable and not difficult, management is harder to deal with. There is a lot of favoritism and passive-aggressiveness which makes the workplace feel toxic. But the job pays well, especially for those looking to secure a part time job. It's a good source of revenue if you're a student etc.
It is a great place for people who need some form of part time / temporary work especially for students as the hours are flexible. Also a great place to work as you can either get on a shift or swap yours withe ease.
Volunteering at IWM North is a fun experience I'm surrounded by history there, a typical day there consists of being on the exhibit floor and being there to assist the visitors or if you're doing object handling then telling the visitors what the objects are and how they were used. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is being able to see items from the first World War all the way to modern conflicts and learning the history about these objects.
Good place to work loads to learn and some exciting times to be had. Planes in and out daily
Wages are fair but often wrong and so begins the 2 week waiting period while they sort it out. Short hours in the winter and longer in the summer.
I love it. The only downside is that my position is casual but this is probably the healthiest and most supportive work environment I've ever had. I would encourage people early in their museum careers to aim for a spot here. I have grown so much even in the short time I have been employed here.
Spent a lovely month here assisting on a project to transfer archives. Very interesting role.

However, there were some Health and Safety issues that should have been considered earlier; the old (WW2 or earlier) documentation was very dusty and we were working in a room in dire need of a deep clean. Face masks were provided after we mentioned this, but the room wasn't cleaned.
Seriously awful and rude management. Never been so badly treated in a job. Horrendous that they think it is acceptable to treat their own staff in this manner. Change is needed.
Excellent colleagues and training! A privilege to have worked for them for over a year. A very welcoming and knowledgeable team, who are passionate about the museum's history.
Fantastic place to work, fascinating history, great staff, fair negotiable hours. Always people on hand to help with anything you get stuck with. Work here if you get the chance!
i enjoyed working in such a fascinating environment, my colleges were very friendly and made me feel very welcome, each day was a pleasure to working.
En una atmósfera familiar con mucho respeto. Y una experiencia muy buena y positiva
Pros
seguro
Cons
no existentes
When outsourced to save museum money, quality and enjoyment taken out of the role. no thought of the staff that were outsourced to a security company that then went in liquidation.
Too much work. no support. work/life balance poor. no infrastructure in place as office based in Ireland but for sites in England no back up for HR, Payroll etc.
Everybody was very relaxed and we were never overwhelmed by our workload. Everybody helped each other and our team occasionally go out for drinks.
I learned everything I know until now from this company, everyone was very disciplined and we would always maintain our set standards.

Management was a bit confusing, managers and higher rank people in my team dont seem to last very long and they keep changing.

most enjoyable part of the work would be to finish off tickets.
Pros
free entrance to almost all museums in UK even for paid exhibitions
Cons
Lack of management at times
Happy to work with, high standards, friendly, fast and helpful team.
Really need to have a good attention to details, make best use of existing skills and experience and also further my personal and professional development.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
If you like sales then this will be the job for you. Sadly the role doesn't have much to do with the museum and the collection, save for the occasional enquiry from a customer, but you wouldn't know the answer as you never spend time in the exhibition. There are a lot of KPIs and there is a lot of pressure to hit your target for selling guidebooks. There is a lack of team spirit within this and a lot of staff are just out for themselves where the guidebooks are concerned.

It's an awkward and stressful commute for myself, which I would be fine with if the job was better and I fit in more with the staff. It's not that it's a bad job, it's just not the one for myself.
Pros
Pay
Typical day started at 9am and didn't finish until 6pm in summer and 5pm in winter, We would set up the cash tills and see what group bookings we would have coming in. make sure the stock was always full and neat and tidy. Management was very friendly and we got along really well everybody got on well. The hardest part of the job was when we was very busy making sure we didn't have any shop lifters. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had veterans come aboard the ship we would treat them like royalty.
Great place to work! Knowledgable helpful staff, the displays are both interactive and informative and the WWI exhibition and The Secret War are a must see!
I am in a team of unpaid volunteers at the IWM, helping out on a large and ambitious project. I get to learn a lot from my co-workers, on the tasks that we share. We all work remotely, and are dependent upon digital communication.

There is a lot of variety, and it is interesting to find out about some of the colourful characters that participated in the First World War.

When the project kicked off, the hosting company had greatly underestimated the support that was required,and had botched some of the data population. The fact these errors were not being addressed, and that user requests would be logged, and ignored for months, meant that the reputation of the project left a lot to be desired.

By engaging a team of volunteers, this has done a lot to salvage the reputation of the project. It can clearly be seen that user requests are being handled in a more timely manner than before. Users can be very frustrated, and this is reflected in their communication. Tactful responses need to be given, so as to pacify them and to manage their expectations.

In addition to the reactive tasks, of acting upon user requests, there are also the longer term proactive tasks, where data was incorrectly loaded and needs correcting, or instances where data duplications have been identified.

The scope of the project is to record all participants. Owing to the limited nature of some of the source documents (only soldiers who served overseas, only sailors who joined after 1898, massive gaps in Indian Army participants etc), the team is also engaged in identifying those who participated,
 - more...
Pros
Interesting activity, good interaction with team members
Cons
Lack of engagement from the hosting company FMP, not enough resourcing from the IWM
As a volunteer I learnt a vast amount of knowledge along with learning the workings of a Museum. I received the chance to work with people of all ages and even the chance to work alongside World War Two veterans.