IKEA
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

IKEA Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant69 reviews
United Kingdom69 reviews
It's a really good company to work for. The people are amazing! I've made some friends for life. However, it's really hard to progress as there are no positions to progress too and due to this the managers don't progress you
Great place to carry out work experience. Opportunity to see how the store is managed and different job opportunities available. Nice team of people and diverse work force.
Managers are horrible and treat staff really bad. They always assume you’re doing something bad. Although the pay is good it’s not worth it for how you are treated
Everyone is so friendly and everyone gets along, Ikea is very diverse and has staff of all ages!
Nice shift patterns, day and night shifts and flexible with social life
I really enjoyed my time there and learnt helpful skills.
the pay is amazing and motivates you to continue working to you best ability. the food provided is nice and the environment is overall very nice and inclusive.
Cons
hard to get overtime, very harsh on timing
Part time employees typically do 4-6 hour shifts and are paid the same as everyone else no matter what age. A typical day would be serving customers and maintaining the tidiness of your department. It is a very friendly community and managers are nice about all situations and very fair. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to help customers in designing their furniture. It can be a fast passed environment to work in and sometimes customers are restless and agitated so dealing with them can be difficult.
the training is brilliant with a supportive team of management. the pay is brilliant and the benefits are okay but all round a brilliant company to work for.
Pros
good pay
No work life balance. I had a contract with no weekends and was forced to work them or get my contract terminated. Even though I'd a child. I felt bullied by my direct boss and got no back up.
Pros
Healthy option free lunches
Cons
No work life balance
Great place to work , most of the management were ok , some thought they could talk to you like rubbish , but generally ok .
Great discount

Always loads of opportunities and overtime

Would definitely work there again
Pros
Free healthy option lunch . Discount
When I first started working at Ikea I saw myself staying there for a long time, but as it's progressed I have seen how unhappy all of the coworkers are and how many complaints people have about their managers. There are good people in management positions but they are totally outweighed by the bad, rude, and fake people. There is a bad atmosphere and people are scared to do something wrong.

Managers will treat you like a dumb child, patronise you and micromanage you instead of letting you get on with your job. Management will take polite feedback as a personal attack instead of accepting that there are things they need to do better. Processes will change all the time and the change will not be communicated properly.

The staff canteen is full of barely edible fast food thats been reheated god knows how many times. The free 'healthy' option is never healthy, it's just the cheapest stuff they could throw in the microwave.

Other departments or stores might be different, but I wouldn't recommend working at my store to anyone.

The best thing about the job and the reason I've lasted as long as have is the people I work alongside.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
badly planned rotas, management, micromanaging
Having worked for various retailers I can honestly say that by far the swedes have it right when it comes to looking after their coworkers and customers .
Pros
Great working environment .people
Good work place long hours working there nice staff to work with
Pros
Good lunch times
Cons
working at IKEA was an amazing experience as not only do you gain many interpersonal skills and develop your customer relations, shifts are busy and fun and you are treated as family by the other staff.
i only worked there as part of work experience, but i loved it there!!
it was amazing, they treat workers amazingly and they have free healthy lunches for workers! it's all amazing
Pros
free lunches
Cons
really good treatment of workers
IKEA is great to work for. It has been my favourite job ever and I have grown as a person thanks to IKEA.
The only bad thing about this company is that they don’t give you full time hours on checkouts.
Pros
Amazing work place friendly and polite coworkers. Living wage.
Cons
Low hours.
Best salary in the area, great benefits like subsidised food and a discount, fair breaks, very fair systems of rotas, got on fantastically with the co workers
A great company to work for, the staff is very much the heart of the business. Things are quite dysfunctional and you have to be able to adapt quickly or you will be left behind.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
not much overtime
any form of management will treat you horribly, force you to stay for overtime otherwise threaten your job. Many co workers go off work for stress, AVOID
Pros
Cons
Management are horrible towards staff
-Enjoyed every minutes working there.
-learned how everything works for example, printing labels, restocking the Christmas stores , using the material machine in textiles and much more.
Overall the job can be an exciting opportunity for those who are looking to climb the career ladder in sales and management. Can be exhausting at times especially during peak seasons.
Ikea were not a bad company to work for I worked for them for 8 years on the checkouts . Very busy at all times . The coop supermarket I worked for for 6 years again another great employer
Pros
Staff discout
Cons
Long time on your feet