IKEA
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

IKEA Employee Reviews for Co-worker

Co-worker26 reviews
United Kingdom26 reviews
As long as there is some knowledge about IKEA, the interview is easy.
My line manager was amazing but the same can not be said to others.

Get in and do the operational work.

Due to some managers, the culture in place is not the best.
Secure place to work with decent pay, management needs improving and very little room to work up the company. Illusions of promotions are constantly there, but people are already lined up for the jobs and starting takes years to progress
A great place work and the core values play a key part in working for IKEA. Research these before an interview, and the history of the company before applying. Taking the time to research how this business was founded and how it has become a global company will go a long way in your interview. Be a team player and get ready to be part of the IKEA family. They are a living wage employer.
My work involved checkouts, helping customers, providing information and keeping the store organised. The managers were very friendly and understanding, allowing for flexible shifts and helped organise during busy times.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Everyone got along with everyone which made it really easy to find work colleagues that i git along with. As i was one of the youngest i never felt out of places or that i was being watched due to my age, which helped my work ethic.
IKEA is usually very busy during the weekends however, the higher than average hourly pay rewards your hard work. The only downsides are that there is no extra pay for holidays such as Easter and bank holidays. There is also no extra pay on Sundays.
On paper IKEA looks like a great place to work. They have invested heavily on presenting themselves to themselves and the world as a great company and employer.

Unfortunately, the jobs are as good as their products. Look great, but don't usually last that long! I worked there for almost 4 years. I still ask myself how and why?

Training: just how many customers find the IKEA instruction booklets: inadequate. You are basically asked to sign that you have read and understood the definition of your role and you're handed over to a recent recruit who has just passed through 'training' themselves. You will be periodically pulled off your duties to run through a computer programme about your role. More concerning is that you are asked to sign that you have read a tome of approximately 400 pages of detailed health and safety 'training' and asked if you have completed it after around 30 minutes because you are needed back on the floor (yes IKEA is always understaffed). Many people do not want to read through all of that so they just sign. But management don't want you to actually read the H&S guidance either as you will discover that you and many of your colleagues are working contrary to the rules. You may notice for e.g. that you should not be working alone in certain situations or that you are entitled to claim for the cost of eye-tests/glasses if your role includes looking at a computer screen - which mine did. When I raised this with my manager, he insisted that I wasn't entitled, despite a colleague who had just received her reimbursement, being present in the room. This
 - more...
This was once a great company to work for, they had good talk at the beginning about being family focused and training schemes, this has not been the case in my experience. Bad management decisions has left it understaffed, poorly managed and all the perks like bonus' have disappeared.
I'm glad to work for Ikea, I feel secure and welcome. Management are very friendly and helpful. Good weiges. Discount for co-workers for IKEA furniture.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
The contact centre is a complaints centre, where you take all the calls where things have go wrong. You'll find yourself apologising a lot. To be fair its a great job for starting off in your career as you will learn how to deal with Customers in all case scenarios
Pros
Busy
Cons
Shifts Patterns, no work life balance
IKEA is more of a family than a business, striving to make our products available to the many not the few. Incredibly good place to work, especially for 16 year olds looking for their first job.
Pros
15% discount in store
Cons
Traffic in surrounding area
A typical day is a busy day. It is always busy working at ikea especially during the weekends the ques are never ending. This is both good and bad as you are always busy, however it is also both physically and mentally exhausting.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
Good team environment. Rewarded for good teamwork and efforts. Team building is a necessary every quarter to ensure the team are working dynamically..
Pros
Free Lunches. Store Bonuses.
Cons
Not always too flexible.
Is a good company to work for in the work/life balance. don't join here if you want to advance because you can only do it if your face fits and you know how to suck up to people.

Store manager rarely speaks to you, HR manager is always on her phone to her boyfriend and the Deputy business navigator is a bully.

Will tell you that they have values like togetherness that they follow but it isn't true they are only brought out when they have a new initiative.

Work her if you just want to be paid to turn up and get a Christmas present, although generally the co-workers are nice to work with , its the management team who aren't
Pros
great staff canteen, christmas present, easter egg
Cons
management team rubbish
Ikea are a huge comanpy who looks after everyone of their co-workers. Everyone feels proud to work for them and everyone is one big team who all support eachother
Always take care of employees and is a fun place to work. People of all ages, bonus system and suitable hours. Local so easy to get to and a nice environment
Excellent work place environment with great support from all the staff at the workplace. Struggle to criticise the workplace would recommend the workplace to anyone.
Pros
Cheep lunches and benefits
Cons
Busy shifts
Good benefit and rewards. Good working environment and good relationships built between colleagues. Hardest part, late finish and early start the next day. best - good rewards and pay
Pros
free healthy lunchee, Christmas present and dept. bonus can be earned
Cons
restricted promotion opportunities
My normal day at Ikea begins with a discussion with my fellow co-workers about what we all need to be doing, as working in a large organisation such as Ikea is a team based experience where my actions can either improve or hinder the overall performance of the department. From this meeting I will then prioritise my tasks so that the best outcome is achieved as fast and efficiently as possible. Some of my individual tasks may include displaying stock, the presentation of food, dealing with the rules of food safety, cleaning, taking food temperatures and the safe operating of ovens, delivering efficient customer service and till operation.
Pros
Subsidised food.
Ikea has a great work environment with great coworkers that are seen smiling most times and customers who are very nice and talkative.
Pros
Subsidized lunches, free drinks, great staff facilities
Cons
Regular late shifts, Inconvenient if you do not drive
Would have loved to have stayed with the company as really believed in their ideals and views as a larger company. Disappointed in availability of opportunity for development and advancement
Pros
Hourly wage, Company ethos, Xmas present, Free healthy meal choice.
Cons
Nepotism in some sites, absent career progression.