IKEA Employee Reviews

great place to work
Communication and interior design manager (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands11 August 2018
ikea is a great place to work with lots of job opportunities for someone willing to put in the effort. It has lots of fantastic benefits and lots of chance to travel the world should you want to. it has a great ethos and encourages you to explore career options allowing you to explore different paths.
Good company to work for
(Sales Assistant) (Children's IKEA) (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire9 August 2018
Overall Ikea is a fantastic company to work for, there are many benefits such as free/discounted meals, staff discount, potential end of year bonus, quarterly department outings and other benefits such as vouchers or gifts during special events. Ikea also holds recognition events for staff who have received good customer feedback or have been put forward for co-worker of the month. Ikea is a very sustainable and charitable business. As can be expected almost everywhere, dispite how good the company is, individuals can easily dampen the environment. Unfortunately with Ikea many of those individuals are the managers. There is a clear divide between managers and part-time coworkers and a clear divide between the different functions within the store which creates a negative surrounding. It's a very stressful job with not much help given. One of the biggest problems with working at Ikea is not being given the apropriate training or access to certain systems which is more commonly found with part-time workers. You are expected to do many things but often you will have to find someone else to do those things for you, someone who has the correct training or access.
Pros
Free/discounted lunch, Living Wage, Co-worker Recognition events, Staff Discount, Free parking
Cons
Divide between full/part-time workers, Big work loads, Not great management
productive and busy
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Bletchley9 August 2018
make up the till floats, make sure the safe balances from previous day, get banking ready. support the checkout staff with any issues they might have. help customers with any queries. ikea employ many people of all ages and all cultures. the hardest part of the job is keeping calm when its extremely busy. the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with, your not just a team you a family.
Pros
good rate of pay, staff outings, christmas gifts
Cons
boredum if the shop is quiet
busy shifts
FLT DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon8 August 2018
I was a flt driver and the shifts are very busy and not enough reach trucks to cope with the amount of stock to be moved and aired. The management are good.
Pros
1 free healthy meal a day
Great company, bad store
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast7 August 2018
Great company to work for with a lot of benefits. Unfortunately the Ikea Belfast store has lost all trace of the Ikea ethos. Management are corrupt and you only advance if you are a soulless, evil person. The store manager is completely incompetent and bullies staff. Any personal issues are brushed aside and there is no empathy. The HR manager is ignorant and inappropriate and a potential racist and xenophobe. I wouldn’t recommend applying for a job in this store, there are better employers out there. Keep looking.
Pros
Staff
Cons
fun and amazing place to work
coworker (Former Employee) –  Southampton6 August 2018
new challenges daily with a great team who help and support each other with whatever task is needed to be done and the atmosphere is incredible with mixed cultures and personalities
Customer services
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Southampton4 August 2018
I loved working in Ikea, I have learnt any new skills, the staffs were loving and caring. I tired my best to help out and get involved with the tasks.
Pros
Free chips
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London31 July 2018
The work balance with my social life was very manageable as the managers always tend to be supportive with it and cooperative, so I did not feel like i did not have a social life outside of work. The work colleagues always brought a positive vibe to the work place being young ad very helpful, sometimes it wouldn't feel like I am going into a work environment rather my second home so I would look forward to going in. The management of IKEA is really good as they push you fo more, always wanting us to go up the ladder to do more with ourselves. When it does get busy sometimes it is hard, however the managers allow us to handle things on the floor without interfering too much as they know we can not only handle, but know how to deal with situations best.
Lack of everything
Logistic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading30 July 2018
Supposed to give you responsible tasks they just delegate tasks they do not want to do.
No one cares about your growth, they leave you to yourself.
No pay increase in 2 years time.
I very interesting job
Customer Service Assistant/ Executive (Former Employee) –  Seine-Saint-Denis29 July 2018
I learned to work at an increased pace and efficiently. I had to process a number of time in a limited time. Dealing with clients that were in a hurry sometime was a challenge that I enjoyed.
Generally speaking: a good company to work for.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Thurrock and South Stifford17 July 2018
IKEA wants to look after its workers, ultimately that's what all of the companies values are about, lower level management can be poor but this is the same every where you go, working with the public is also difficult at times but it does come as part of the package for working in retail, some of the hours are difficult as they run late or very early but for those who do not mind shift work the job is a good one, the company does genuinely care about the people who work within it at all levels and takes into consideration the environment and everyone's opinions as often as possible, it has a lot of progressive programs too.
Pros
very cheap food on site, large and luxurious staff room including games room, paid for training and meetings, National Living wage employer
Cons
hours can be anti-social, little flexibility in changing shifts.
Got worse
IKEA Food Coworker (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 July 2018
Long days could be fun at times, met some good people. Can be very busy and management non supportive at times. Benefits were good for being part time
expectations without appreciation
Reach Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire7 July 2018
This company not present the real IKEA values.
Management not knowledgeable and mercenary, equality does not exist.
No opportunities for developers, and no appreciation for hard work.
Pros
cheap food, nice enviroment
fun work place
Trolley & Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire4 July 2018
I really enjoyed working there, made a lot of friends but i also worked hard keep the levels clear & helped the customers, i learnt a lot while i was about myself and the job, that i can work hard & with the job i was able to work at my own pace.
Cons
between 4-11 hours
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 July 2018
fast pace working enviroment, good management
fun and friendly place to work. buid up in career. learned new skills and technique. enjoyed working with a top retail company which offer various discounts
Good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Thurrock3 July 2018
Working at IKEA was a great experience, they treat their staff very well. The staff facilities are really good and the have a number of opportunities.
Wore me out
IFS Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire1 July 2018
Great values as a company but managers don't listen to their staff at all. Report issues that get looked over till way too late. Always try to cure not prevent. Crazy hours and worked like a dog for very low wages. Nice benefits and free food, fun Swedish themed days and parties but not worth it over all. Not allowed to move teams or progress. Training overlooked and forgotten.
Pros
Good induction.Nice benefits and free food, fun Swedish themed days. Staff make the job
Cons
Managers. Pay. Hours. Lack of structure or progress
Absolutely amazing co workers and managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton30 June 2018
Truly brilliant experience! Moving to a new place whilst studying for University was so nerve racking but when I got the job at IKEA they were ridiculously helpful and caring, always looking out for me.
Pros
Amazing food, great pay, respectful staff
my work
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wembley, Greater London30 June 2018
i love ikea, and i love my work .the people is very nice ..i started in ikea in february 2012, we have got too many people from every where in europe,
Shallow and two faced environment
Home Decoration Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside27 June 2018
IKEA is a company that penalises young workers not for their behaviour but due to their age. They are treated differently to elder workers and stories are fabricated against younger colleagues. On top of this the first 6 months of probation are treated like a trial period where at any mistake could lead to being let go of their current role.
The environment is hostile and unlike other friendly retail environments.
Benefits of working have been cut: No bonus, no monthly gifts and rare amounts of praise.
Pros
Cheap co-worker food, multicultural
Cons
Bias management, Hostile Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.

52K