Ikea Employee Reviews

Found 647 reviews matching the search See all 5,575 reviews
Great company to work for
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Belfast27 November 2018
Ikea was a great place to work with great benefits and flexible working which allowed me to reduce my hours as I had children. There are lots of opportunities to advance and change career within the store and also to apply for jobs all around the world.
Pros
Discount and cheap lunch
Cons
Poor pay
Do not work for IKEA
Sales Coworker (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 November 2018
If you are looking for a career IKEA is not the place for you! Trust me! Anywhere is better! You are not given any chance to progress unless you are "one of the group"
Good People to work with
Sales Co Worker/ Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Wembley12 November 2018
good people to work with
slow progression
good culture
working weekends is a must
working in this retail company can be demanding at time
can be short staffed at peak times
Pros
free lunch occasionally
Cons
working weekends
Good Working Enviroment
Risk (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands11 November 2018
Lovely place to work enjoyed my time working there doing daily checks and monthly checks looking after customer welfare and co workers in the store.
Opening and Closing up the store working alongside other members of the the Risk and Security team.
looking after the lodge and answering the phones
Pros
Free Coffee and Cold Drinks
Cons
Shift Patterns
fun
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 November 2018
it a fun place to work but has some management problems and politics.

find it really hard to move up without being tight nit with upper management , but it is possible
Pros
cheap food for co-workers christmas presents
Cons
same routine and hard to move up
security (Current Employee) –  London9 November 2018
Overall its a good company to work for, as a co-worker more so than a manager.
Does involve finishing late and working weekends which as a parent is not great. but on the plus side there is strong job security. Morale can be a little low as hours are cut and teams are expected to deliver the same KPI's with less support.
Pros
good pay, job security
Cons
weekend and evening working
Great company to work for
Logistics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 November 2018
IKEA is a great company to work for, when working in a smaller store your work/life balance is a lot better compared to working in bigger stores.

Breaks are ok and paid for.

You get 15% off of any products in IKEA after completing your probational period
Pros
Free/Discounted lunch
Cons
Sometimes forced to do long hours and feel like you cannot say no
Good people, bad managment
CO-WORKER (Current Employee) –  Coventry1 November 2018
Great company and co-workers make for good work place, but management isn't great. Concrete structure of company which allows very little job progression and get the general feeling that if you aren't in the inner circle you won't get a looking when new opportunities arise. Competitive starting pay but not always payed in respect to the work you do. But in regards to retail work I'd recommend to anyone, career choice maybe think about what you really want.
Pros
People, Pay, learning
Cons
Managment, progression
Enjoyable Work Environment
Trainee/Junior Tester (Former Employee) –  Wembley, Greater London1 November 2018
Everybody in the organisation was very easy to work with and I never had any issues with any of my fellow colleagues. The office was always a pleasure to work in.
Customer Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2018
If you are starting out in employment/ retail IKEA is the best place to begin your journey as they offer a generous salary package as well as addition company benefits.
Pros
IKEA discount
Cons
Good place to work - if your face fits.
Sales and Supply Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Leeds29 October 2018
The management are not very genuine people and are very goal driven. They will do anything and everything in their power to improve their stature in the workplace, and wont be bothered who they leave in their wake.

They'll claim to have a workforce and management teams derived mainly from promoting co-workers from within but when the times comes to recruit new managers they hardly ever take you into account. They'll even put you through a management course so that you're 'ready' to move into these roles but you'll still get over looked.
Perfect!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands27 October 2018
was my first proper job in the United Kingdom and it was a pleasure to work with such a company, it has a friendly environment and the customers are friendly too, although you get the odd few you have to work with.
Pros
Discount, Friendly, Pay, free healthy meals.
Cons
gets boring sometimes
Warehouse
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 October 2018
I opperated a little forklift truck in Ikea warehouse, was busy on some days, but some days it wasnt, had alot of training on the forks & it was a fast paced enviroment
Good pay, Don't say there too long
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear25 October 2018
Work is hard and but rewarding if working with the right team. Overtime is hard to find as hours are tight, especially in the checkout department so make sure you get the right contract for you. Training opportunities could be better, at the moment it isn't clear how to apply to extra training courses, and you have to be approved by your manager, so you rely on them to be on the same page as you or want you to have that training which I personally have been having trouble with. I love my team and a lot of the people who work there are such lovely people who make you feel comfortable at work. However, there is also a sense of 'groups', a definite divide between management and the co-workers and also between Showroom/Markethall and Checkouts/IF. Overall there is a good sense of teamwork, as long as you're in the right team and are friends with the right people. As someone on a 12 hour contract on checkouts, it is near impossible for me to move or develop as my manager does't want me progressing and I don't have opportunities to meet other co-workers in different departments so can't build that relationship which could help me move departments.
Pros
Separate co-worker restaurant, good pay
Cons
Limited hours, based on popularity
Nice place to work
Goods flow co-worker (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire25 October 2018
Great place to work made lots of friends and gained a lot of valuable knowledge and experience which I believe will help me endlessly in any future job roll.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Night shift hours or very early morning
Quite bad
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire25 October 2018
Good salary
But overall its really bad
Management is one of the worst things
And coworkers are not nice either
Can get really busy and not have enough staff to support
Pros
Salary
Awful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough22 October 2018
The beginning was lovely 2 weeks training was great as was the 2 week academy but once you get out on that call centre floor it all goes down hill after a week or two.
Awful atmosphere, everyone was very miserable only a few made you feel welcome at all. Very serious which of course is expected of a business but there was no banter or enjoyment in that place, the shifts were awful earliest start was 7am in the morning and latest finish was 10:15pm which is ridiculous for office hours. Made to feel as if you were no one. Management was terrible and never helped at all, very discriminatory to certain colleagues. I would not go back if someone offered me the world.
Miserable place to work you really did have to drag yourself in through the doors everyday.
Would not recommend.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Awful hours
Very good company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry21 October 2018
I enjoyed my time with this company and would definitely work for them again. Unfortunately, when a decision is made to hire someone that doesnt quite fit in the team, it can take a long time to let them go which impacts on the fantastic, hard working colleagues. Its hard work on their busiest days but the benefits of working for IKEA which include the work life balance would definitely be a reward in itself.
Pros
Work life balance and great benefits.
Cons
lazy staff get away with too much due to IKEA values.
Productive workplace
WAREHOUSE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 October 2018
Casual environment where a productive workforce is required. I learnt how to use an RF scanner, and the management was supportive. Simple but effective job.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Hard work
Great place to work many benefits.
Customer service co-worker (Former Employee) –  bristol eastgate13 October 2018
A typical day at Ikea, would involve setting the tills and self serve up correctly ensuring the card machines are all working. Checking there is enough money for the day, preparing the floor plan for the day and ensuring there is enough staff. I have learned to trust my judgement and to speak up and share my ideas. The culture in the workplace is very varied there is no discrimination of race, you feel like a big family of minions ( Yellow and blue uniform). The staff and fellow co-workers were the best part of the job.
Pros
employee discount, pension scheme
Cons
hectic weekends, sometimes long hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ikea. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K