IKEA Employee Reviews

Great for Students and/or first jobs
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 February 2018
Working in customer services at IKEA is a great opportunity for any students or someone looking for a part-time job. Hours are relatively flexible, working weekends will be expected, and as the workforce is made up of young adults. Generally, there is a good mood around departments and management and coworkers get on well. However one of the issues that occur due to being made up of large numbers of students is that retaining knowledge within the department can go through phases of becoming dangerously close to not functional, which can cause stress upon more senior co-workers and team leaders alike. A reliance upon one of their key values of "taking responsibility" which is typically a very rewarding policy in action can also lead to some coworkers being given and taking on more responsibilities as co-workers than should be expected, resulting in some of these coworkers taking on roles expected of team leaders and managers. Progression is possible within IKEA, however, this will often require relocation to progress quicker or through internal politics and opportunities arising at opportune times. Making a career in IKEA is very achievable however it is often either a first stepping stone or a finishing place for workers that have had careers and taken on part-time work after retirement or redundancy packages.
Pros
Good working environment, Flexible shifts
Cons
Internal politics
Do not become an apprentice here
Warehouse Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire4 February 2018
My time with IKEA was in the warehouse, forced to do so to avoid sanction by Universal Credit. While wanting sales, they put me in this placement against my own will. I worked antisocial hours at the dead of night, suffered an injury which was neglected and faced abuse and spent months being ostracised only to be earning the same rate as daytime apprentices at less than minimum wage. The management repeatedly threatened me with dismissal, and after enough time off for my injury, they removed me. IKEA is a terrible employer, and would never recommend them.
Cons
Horrible bosses and treatment
worked as a trainee for 2 months
Trainee (Former Employee) –  kuwait4 February 2018
i worked in ikea merchandising team for 2 months. i learnt many skills such as becoming team player, responsibile and improved my management as well as communication skills.
Cusomter service advisor
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands4 February 2018
I am only a number and my time is spent travelling with job without any dignity although the best about that job is to talk to the customers but again you get told to speed up the call as it has exceeded 3 minutes so we have to rush the call and no rapport is build so it is time to change to something I can use my experience and skills on and hopefully earning commission will give me a goals and to work towards appreciation rather than just going to work and get same salary month in month out
Pros
Free Lunches and Chrismas Presents
Cons
Job has not got dignity
productive
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  West Midlands3 February 2018
challenging work, enjoyable. friendly staff. I found the work very active and productive but not too challenging. I worked under a agency for DX Delivery as a temp.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire1 February 2018
The job was easy and i was enjoying to do the job also the team leaders and managers were with manners the people in the warehouse was friendly and i enjoyed to work as a team.
Fun place to work yet very busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 January 2018
Working at IKEA is very much like herding sheep into a pen, it requieres a lot of effort. The workplace is friendly but very strict. Very good colleagues and support, but they do state then they want you to be a superman. Beautiful food and canteen to destress from the sometimes chaos.
Pros
Very friendly atmosphere, great canteen and food, bonuses.
Cons
Busy and can get tireding.
Brillant office enviroment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rotherham29 January 2018
This was only a temporary position over the season holidays but during my time working at IKEA contact centre I enjoyed my role, team were welcoming and ready to help each other.
Great Experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provincia di Catania, Sicilia26 January 2018
Thanks to my task, I learned to pay attentions to customers’ need in order to satisfy the as quickly as possible. I improved my communication skill and my teamwork skill as well, as we worked often to specific projects in small groups of about three people. I also practiced my english because the Ikea store in Catania is close to an American military base and there were many English speaker costumers in the store.
good company to work for.
Demi Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Warrington23 January 2018
My work mates were avesome and friendly.. managers are good and they doing their best what they can.. all the benefits from work are good and impressive
Pros
cheap canteen food
Cons
average pay
fun and growing!
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 January 2018
Great place to work, fun team, fast paced and plenty of opportunity to grow and learn new skills like design and management.
Working with the customers and instant customer feedback from instore changes is always fun.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
now work weekend shifts
Not much progression
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Greater London22 January 2018
Ok not much progression couldn't move up from position.a bit unorganised.contract was getting changed during the time working experience is half half..
Pleasant
Home Organisation floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester19 January 2018
Was overall a pleasant place to work, staff were lovely however management was extremely young and felt bullied!

Pay is fab/hours can be long though.
Pros
Discount on meals and fab pay
Cons
Like working with a family
Customer Relations Coworker (Former Employee) –  Reading16 January 2018
Working at IKEA was like working with a family of 400 people, everyone there was really friendly and willing to help, and the people I met there are still a part of my life now. This is all due to the work culture and their standard of hiring people based on their values and personalities.
Pros
Subsidised food, good pay, opportunities to advance
Cons
You will get sick of the meatballs
Good
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh10 January 2018
Good company to work for. Good benefits. Its fun that a lot of people work there together and there are a lot if different roles within the company as well.
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear8 January 2018
IKEA is a fantastic place to work. it is an enjoyable place to work where you dont wake up on a morning of a shift and dread going
to work. The staff that work in ikea are also amazing.
Fun, no two days are ever the same
Kitchen Designer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London8 January 2018
I enjoyed my role at IKEA thoroughly especially as I already came from a creative background as an artist in my own right. When I started the training was a little bit touch and go but it has improved much since and I gained many new skills whilst working there. I liked the fact that the workforce was very mult cultural and non judgmental, it was the first job where I did not have to hide my colourful hair or piercings and could still be taken seriously.
Pros
Free and subsidised meals, bonuses
Cons
Sometimes hard to get the hours you like
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gateshead7 January 2018
I started working for IKEA in 2013. My buddy, for training, on my first day, was the Store Manager himself. I decided that if the Manager could help a greeter on their first day, and make it fun, it was going to be a great place to work!
Pros
Free healthy option lunches
Cons
Not too many full time positions in the UK
Productive workplace
Goods Flow Co-worker (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Southampton5 January 2018
Unloading trailers with FLT truck and moving the stock around to its suitable location e.g. for replenishment in the Self Serve warehouse and Markethall for customer picks.

Good working environment

Good management and staff
Pros
secure job, flexibility, development opportunities/promotion, yearly bonus and xmas present
Productive and family
Logistics (Current Employee) –  Uusimaa4 January 2018
Working at Ikea is fun and interesting sometimes that is when the work load is high and the manning is less. The fun aspect is when there is full house and in high spirit.

There is always room to do more and things( processes and information) should be kept simple

Leadership by example which manager are always ready to roll their sleeves.

Work time is serious business and target are to be met during those periods. work is done diligently.

Not being able to accomplish a days task due circumstances beyond ones control such as inbound delivery arriving late.

Colleagues
Pros
inexpensive meals
Cons
short working times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K