IKEA Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
WAREHOUSE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 October 2018
Casual environment where a productive workforce is required. I learnt how to use an RF scanner, and the management was supportive. Simple but effective job.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Hard work
Great place to work many benefits.
Customer service co-worker (Former Employee) –  bristol eastgate13 October 2018
A typical day at Ikea, would involve setting the tills and self serve up correctly ensuring the card machines are all working. Checking there is enough money for the day, preparing the floor plan for the day and ensuring there is enough staff. I have learned to trust my judgement and to speak up and share my ideas. The culture in the workplace is very varied there is no discrimination of race, you feel like a big family of minions ( Yellow and blue uniform). The staff and fellow co-workers were the best part of the job.
Pros
employee discount, pension scheme
Cons
hectic weekends, sometimes long hours.
don't work here
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warrington6 October 2018
Management at Ikea are awful, they are unfair regarding shift swapping and holidays. Management do not know how to run the department effectively and the staff retention is very low. They are not supportive if you become ill or injured.
Pros
wage is good for young staff members. cheap meals
Cons
everything else
It was a hard company to work under
Customer assistant, Logistics (Former Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester5 October 2018
You would be limited on your progression within the company.
If you wanted to work within a different department, I would find it hard to move to that department.
Pros
You were lucky to get a lunch
Cons
No social life
friendly and helpful
Desine co-worker (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire4 October 2018
Working at IKEA is a good opportunity for me to develop my experience in design and working with a team.

It is a fast and growing environment but with very friendly co-workers.
long night hours
Warehouseman/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  cardiff ferry rd3 October 2018
unloading ikea stock from lorries using a forklift truck putting it into the right bays for the day warehousemen to pick nice breaks good team spirit and excellent training
Pros
nice relaxed night
co worker experience
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London28 September 2018
Working in the showroom is quite fast paced, not boring and just really busy.

The hours can be quite long and if you don't have a decent manger your rota can be all over the place.

They hourly pay is decent compared to other companies however the pay system can be annoying so you have to check your pay every month .

The team is good and my management towards me seems to be quite pleasant, however not all my colleagues may agree with me. Every manager has there own style of work.

Everyday is definitely not the same, but they do have many departments so you can branch out to other areas of work.

Overall the culture of the workplace has good values but again that's an individual thing.

My experience would be a 8.5/10 I think favouritism lies within the workplace so that's a bit off putting. Apart from that I enjoy my job role and what it entails.
Pros
cheap lunch, %discount of products, uniform, chances of progression, 6wk holiday allowance
Cons
long hour shifts, dodgy pay sometimes
Well paid but long hours
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading26 September 2018
They expect you to work more than your hours are worth... you will have managers standing around doing nothing, but they will moan at you even if you are working. Hours drag, customers get annoyed and confused often and cashline is quiet because no one can talk when it is busy and noisy.
Pros
Discounts, free healthy food, free drinks, tertials
Cons
long hours, expect more of you than you're paid
wasnt enjoyable
SALES EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Reading20 September 2018
having worked for the company during the opening i was originally trained to work in the bedrooms department, upon opening i was moved to childrens department which was difficult to grasp with it being my first job and me not being trained for it atall, i kept it up as long as i could but once i got the opportunity to work at wren it was the best decision just to get away from the line of work i was in at the time,
Ikea
co-worker (Former Employee) –  Tottenham20 September 2018
The managers all contradicted each other.
The structure was terrible. The phrase too many chiefs and not enough indians describes ikea to a tee.
I personally would never return.
Dont work there
Co worker (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex18 September 2018
Biggest mistake I ever made.
Its about who you know not what you know. They think they have the values but its just words on a paper. Staff are unhappy and demotivated. The do the VOICE but nothing gets done about it.

Grass is defo greener on the other side.
Pros
meatballs
Cons
everything
A good place for those wanting to understand customer service relations
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 September 2018
Overall the job can be an exciting opportunity for those who are looking to climb the career ladder in sales and management. Can be exhausting at times especially during peak seasons.
Good place for sociable people
Textiles Sales Coworker (Current Employee) –  Exeter13 September 2018
Ikea Exeter is a busy store. This may be due to its recent opening and proximity to holidays, but still busier than you'd expect for the second smallesst store in the country. The work day can be long but there is always something to do.
Pros
Offer of a free healthy lunch available every day
Cons
Long hours if you catch the train to and from work
hard work for little pay
Customer Service Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Cardiff12 September 2018
good job if you want to work hard for very little pay if you get an apprenticeship and gets really frustrating when you see full time employees that are doing the same job as you but never working as hard and getting so much more money
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hard work for little pay
Fun place to work meeting different people every day
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 September 2018
Ikea were not a bad company to work for I worked for them for 8 years on the checkouts . Very busy at all times . The coop supermarket I worked for for 6 years again another great employer
Pros
Staff discout
Cons
Long time on your feet
Productive and challenging
Graphic Communication Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Nottingham27 August 2018
At IKEA Nottingham in my function we produced a lot of work on a daily basis, which meant we were always working on something, very rarely getting stuck looking for a job to do.

Due to unique situation I found myself in early on in my function I found it quite challenging and demanding, being the only member in the function it was a tough time, but I am all the better for it. I learned to cope better with stress, and how to prioritize work more effectively.

I have had a very interesting, unique and character building experience at IKEA.
Wonderful colleagues/place
Customer Service Co-worker (Former Employee) –  London23 August 2018
Team work is the best value working in this place. Colleagues are very helpful. Looking after for the staff well-being and good salary. Best for customer service.
Pros
free lunch/dinner
Cons
short working hours
Amazing company
Co-worker (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom14 August 2018
Ikea are a huge comanpy who looks after everyone of their co-workers. Everyone feels proud to work for them and everyone is one big team who all support eachother
great place to work
Communication and interior design manager (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands11 August 2018
ikea is a great place to work with lots of job opportunities for someone willing to put in the effort. It has lots of fantastic benefits and lots of chance to travel the world should you want to. it has a great ethos and encourages you to explore career options allowing you to explore different paths.
Good company to work for
(Sales Assistant) (Children's IKEA) (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire9 August 2018
Overall Ikea is a fantastic company to work for, there are many benefits such as free/discounted meals, staff discount, potential end of year bonus, quarterly department outings and other benefits such as vouchers or gifts during special events. Ikea also holds recognition events for staff who have received good customer feedback or have been put forward for co-worker of the month. Ikea is a very sustainable and charitable business. As can be expected almost everywhere, dispite how good the company is, individuals can easily dampen the environment. Unfortunately with Ikea many of those individuals are the managers. There is a clear divide between managers and part-time coworkers and a clear divide between the different functions within the store which creates a negative surrounding. It's a very stressful job with not much help given. One of the biggest problems with working at Ikea is not being given the apropriate training or access to certain systems which is more commonly found with part-time workers. You are expected to do many things but often you will have to find someone else to do those things for you, someone who has the correct training or access.
Pros
Free/discounted lunch, Living Wage, Co-worker Recognition events, Staff Discount, Free parking
Cons
Divide between full/part-time workers, Big work loads, Not great management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K