Iceland Foods Ltd Employee Reviews

Second family
Non-trade duty manager (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea16 October 2018
Great place to work hard and get higher roles within the company. The people you work with become like family to you. Ensure you pull your weight. Very good pay for under 18's as they don't pay according to age.
Not a stable place to work at
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath15 October 2018
Have been working at Iceland for over 2 years. Started off great, loved coming to work as the staff felt like family with great morale. Management frequently changed and therefore the morale dipped as there was no stability. A lot of pressure is put on staff memebers, the store never has enough money to hire more staff or give existing staff the hours they need.
Pros
Nice colleagues, company appears to always trying to improve itself
Cons
Not enough hours, management always changing, no stability
Staff talk behind your back all the time.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire14 October 2018
This place is not a good place to work at, the only good thing is high pay and payed everyweek. Was promised full time work instead was given 4 hour shifts 3 days a week, shift gets changed on the day and not tell you about it. Staff will chat badly behind your back making you look bad. Was told be clean shaven and the dm has a Santa beard. We was told the opening week was going to be the hardest and it was but then we got moaned at for not getting to standards and made 2 people leave. The management make jokes about serious matters.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything els.
Poor place to work
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire13 October 2018
Demanding job role for £7.83 per hour. You have to pick 3 deliveries minium per hour. Some are massive deliveries and you keep going out the back areas for stock that's been ordered in messy and untidy back areas and never sorted out the night before. Micro-managed to the point where it's difficult to do your job and the management are rushed into their roles and not knowledgeable. You get 10% discount, but so do Slimming World members and students now, so the company benefits (this is the only one you get) are very poor, so you're basically not important. If someone is sick, as it's early morning work, then you have to do double the the work for the same pay and within the same timescale. You can't take breaks, as you're too busy and don't get paid the extra hours worked. Expect to get up early and into work for 3am every morning for a few weeks leading up to Xmas eve. The equipment you get is sub standard and software issues all the time. You only get to go further in the company if you brown nose the management
Pros
Team work, staff rapport
Cons
Bad management, poor company benefits
Poor place to work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Morecambe, Lancashire13 October 2018
No management strength poor communication no organization place is a tip can't find stock unsafe place to work should be shut down today to prevent an accident
Pros
Cons
Expected to work unpaid hours
Poor hours and poor enviroment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool11 October 2018
I worked at a customer assistant for almost a year, I recently quit. Little to no training provided. I was only allowed to work on tills even though I frequently asked to change to stock or delivery shifts.

Same hours and shifts. For me these were 7.5 hours a week till 6pm on a Wednesday and a Saturday, these were only 3 hour shifts. My avaliblity at the time was any day and any hours. When I got a second job, my availability change was refused?! Extra shifts were given to the same people.

The worst part about this job was the management. Extra shifts and training were given to certain people. When confronted I was bullied for being slower than the others even though I was barley trained. I contact head office and HR about this but left before anything was done as I couldn't take it anymore.
Pros
Good pay and discount
Cons
Favouritism, harrasement, no hours
great place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London9 October 2018
been working here for over 10 years, was a good company in earlier years.

sometimes feels like home.

great place, staff, food and products awsome
Pros
people
Cons
customers
Iceland beaumont leys.
Csa (Former Employee) –  Beaumont Leys leicester8 October 2018
I would rate it 0 stars if i could. Absolute joke to work for get treated like dirt. Store is so un organised. Management dont seem to know how to manage and if your face dont fit then you have no hope of getting on there.
Bread lasts longer than the managers
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Blandford7 October 2018
Worked as a driver at one of there stores, never enough time to load and deliver to there schedules, which meant unpaid overtime, Van and crates where filthy, I did clean van once, found receipt dating back 2 months. Poor management culture, large turnover of staff.
Pros
Cant think of one
Cons
Unpaid overtime poor conditions
Awful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire5 October 2018
Absolutely a joke of a.company to work for. I was a supervisor. Worked for the company for 10 years. They reseal open frozen meat products to avoid stock loss. Treat staff like slaves. Often made to work extra hours unpaid. Told it was compulsory for business needs. Avoid avoid avoid.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Joining
Worst 6 months of my life
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands3 October 2018
Was sold a story of better work life balance, previously working hours of 50/55 plus for several years at a competitor .

40hr contract allegedly. Never minded working over where necessary - it's retail and always wanted to lead by example.

6 days a week became expected with no chance of getting it back.
Training and support poor, used as an expensive shelf filler.
When you wanted to mentor and train people there was never any hours to so.
Staff are made to stay over without pay to complete unrealistic tasks .
Held to task to achieve unrealistic targets.
Phone calls to constantly cut hours.
Tired.,.old and unfit for purpose stores.

I feel sorry for a lot of the people I worked with as they are effectively bullied by area management to do things that aren't correct process.
Favourites at every level and if you try to stick anywhere near your contract- forget it.

Constant broken promises .

A massive over extravagant yearly management meeting which would have better benefited the company, staff and customers by being spent on stores and training.

And finally a CEO at an annual meeting who in front of over 700 people publicly states "if they don't like it f... them off " whoops HR won't be happy with me.

Possibly the best and worst 6 months of my working life.

Best - some of the store staff I worked with and how never to treat people.

Worst- opened my eyes to the fact that if you have it bad others always have it worse.
And from the 1st month looking for another job

If you have an opinion, want to change things and progress.......
Not the place
  more... to go  less
Pros
Leaving to go home
Cons
Actually going to work and thinking that your view matters
You can get on but be prepared for no work life balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  East Midlands3 October 2018
I started at the bottom within iceland and worked my way upto management level. When i first began the company was great to work for and progression was readily available. Unfortunately over the last several years the company has taken more and more away from stores whilst the expectation has stayed the same. Staff are expected to not take breaks and to stay well past when their shift finishes in order to get the store right. The line you will hear used most often by managers expecting this sort of commitment is 'Its the needs of the business'.
Pros
decent frontline pay
Cons
Long hours unpaid. Unpaid lunch breaks. Expected to work for free
productive
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caerphilly1 October 2018
i would never want to work here again, yes it was a job but the management was not very good, there was no communication or good attitude within the workplace.
Pros
good hours
Cons
miserable place to work
Terrible
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Littlehampton1 October 2018
New manager every other week. Stress from managers passed down to staff every time. Hours were changed from a lot in a week to one shift a week (inconsistent). Managers always on the wrong side of somebody. Poorly run so never finished on time. Always stayed an hour or more behind each shift which is not paid for.
Pros
Paid every week
Cons
Management is poor
Physically demanding, fun job
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Tunstall, Staffordshire1 October 2018
As a Duty Manager a typical day at work is stocking up shelves, assisting cashiers with any issues, ensuring stock is available to purchase and packing/organising store deliveries and home deliveries. Cashing up at the end of the night whilst finishing off and working on the close down - e.g facing up stock, brushing the floors, working any stock that has been left or needs filling ready for the morning.
Team work is vital - helping each other out whilst having fun brings success.
Management work hard, some going over and above.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Completing tasks in specified time
good to work for
Delivery Driver (part-time) (Current Employee) –  lincoln28 September 2018
not a bad company to work for but really need more hours which they cant offer. Company needs to improve on relations of there staff and drivers. Alot of the mangement to needto listen and learn a few things from the drivers.
Bad place to work.
till/customer service (Former Employee) –  Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire27 September 2018
The management team were a joke . I have never been in such a bad place to work in all my life. They hire 20 new people for a new store then boot 15 or more of them when the store is set up. You get blamed for other people’s problems even brought to the side for blame even though you did nothing. The management team swear at you and act all high and mighty. I asked one of them to check out a flower display to make sure it was okay and his response was you asked me to come here here to look at this? Nice way to treat your colleagues you bunch of morons. Since they pretty much fired everyone and are still firing people daily because they are on a power trip just stay away from my store I need the SA73 area.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Getting sweared at....
Rude and unhelpful management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Pembrokeshire27 September 2018
During my short time at this workplace I received poor attitude from the management which never listened to you. Having another job also, they kept stating they were my main employer which it turned out that they were not! Refused to swap my shifts having told them my availability. Also clearly didn't listen during the interview phase and wrote down things completely wrong. Worst place to EVER work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad management
Accomodating
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham / Airport26 September 2018
Nice place to work - management understanding and helpful.nxshjlashhasjdjhasjjdashdljhasljdjlaskjdlasjdlkjaskldjaklsjdlkasjdkljaskldjaskljdklasjkldjsakldjlkasjdklajd
fun and flexible place to work!
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent23 September 2018
Working for Iceland was a true retail experience which taught me a lot about the qualities which I wish to carry with me into future jobs and potential careers.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Possible long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iceland Foods Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.