Iceland Foods Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 1,419 reviews matching the search See all 1,451 reviews
Bad place to work.
till/customer service (Former Employee) –  Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire27 September 2018
The management team were a joke . I have never been in such a bad place to work in all my life. They hire 20 new people for a new store then boot 15 or more of them when the store is set up. You get blamed for other people’s problems even brought to the side for blame even though you did nothing. The management team swear at you and act all high and mighty. I asked one of them to check out a flower display to make sure it was okay and his response was you asked me to come here here to look at this? Nice way to treat your colleagues you bunch of morons. Since they pretty much fired everyone and are still firing people daily because they are on a power trip just stay away from my store I need the SA73 area.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Getting sweared at....
You can get on but be prepared for no work life balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  East Midlands3 October 2018
I started at the bottom within iceland and worked my way upto management level. When i first began the company was great to work for and progression was readily available. Unfortunately over the last several years the company has taken more and more away from stores whilst the expectation has stayed the same. Staff are expected to not take breaks and to stay well past when their shift finishes in order to get the store right. The line you will hear used most often by managers expecting this sort of commitment is 'Its the needs of the business'.
Pros
decent frontline pay
Cons
Long hours unpaid. Unpaid lunch breaks. Expected to work for free
Poor place to work
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire13 October 2018
Demanding job role for £7.83 per hour. You have to pick 3 deliveries minium per hour. Some are massive deliveries and you keep going out the back areas for stock that's been ordered in messy and untidy back areas and never sorted out the night before. Micro-managed to the point where it's difficult to do your job and the management are rushed into their roles and not knowledgeable. You get 10% discount, but so do Slimming World members and students now, so the company benefits (this is the only one you get) are very poor, so you're basically not important. If someone is sick, as it's early morning work, then you have to do double the the work for the same pay and within the same timescale. You can't take breaks, as you're too busy and don't get paid the extra hours worked. Expect to get up early and into work for 3am every morning for a few weeks leading up to Xmas eve. The equipment you get is sub standard and software issues all the time. You only get to go further in the company if you brown nose the management
Pros
Team work, staff rapport
Cons
Bad management, poor company benefits
Physically demanding, fun job
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Tunstall, Staffordshire1 October 2018
As a Duty Manager a typical day at work is stocking up shelves, assisting cashiers with any issues, ensuring stock is available to purchase and packing/organising store deliveries and home deliveries. Cashing up at the end of the night whilst finishing off and working on the close down - e.g facing up stock, brushing the floors, working any stock that has been left or needs filling ready for the morning.
Team work is vital - helping each other out whilst having fun brings success.
Management work hard, some going over and above.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Completing tasks in specified time
Disgrace to retail
Online Picker (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 November 2018
Absolutely vile company to work for. No job security with a 7.5hr contract although currently i have none & have been like that for 6-8weeks now. Pay is poor for over 25's, however excellent for those under 25. management is non existent& lack of care towards staff is abhorrent. Hands down the worst company iv ever had the misfortune to work for. Cut hours for staff in run up to Xmas yet expect 3-4 times the work donr .
Cons
No authority, zero accountability, no care for staff
O.k to Work for if do not mind not getting paid for overtime
Driver delivery (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex22 September 2018
High turn over of drivers due to unrealistic amount of deliveries in each time slot, Expected to make all deliveries and not be paid overtime

Will drop a time slot with no notice and send you home and not pay you

management will ask you to do something and not repay you your expenses even when they said they would

only a 9 hour contract so difficult if only job, May not get benefits as hours up and down
Pros
10% discount
Cons
have to work unpaid overtime
Fun and interesting workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool27 July 2018
There is no typical day whilst working at Iceland. Every day is different which makes it interesting. I learnt whilst working there that I can do anything if I put my mind to it and have the right help available. Management helped immensely with my progress at Iceland. Every day in its own way was fun working in Iceland. Even if you have the worst day. You end up laughing about it. The hardest part of my job was when I had to make the decision to step down as a duty manager.
Pros
Everyone is always friendly
Cons
Sometimes having to work long hours with no breaks
Fun workplace
West Yorkshire (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire18 November 2018
Ensuring stock levels were sufficient and store standards were high.
Managerial skills within this company and levels of progression internally was quite good. The culture varied from store to store. Sometimes the workload exceeded exceptions and time constraints however the team moral enabled work to progress quicker.
Pros
employee benefits
Hard work but satisfying most days
Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Uk5 December 2018
Iceland is generally a good place to work. You have to have a love for the job, that's the only thing keeping me there.
As a senior supervisor the salary is pretty good, I struggle to find another assistant manager job that comes close to what I get paid.
Management depends on who you have, there are some good ones out there, some not so good!
As senior management there's a lot of breaks not being taken, coming in early, staying late. If you love the job then you know your helping the store and business, some of it is just to meet the ridiculously high expectations from above, not having staff who share the same willingness to help.
As senior management work/home life balance isn't so great, very little opportunity to take back time owed from working for free, that is without the store being affected. Management above say to take some time back but then question why your shop is in a bad way when your supervisors/duty managers don't run the shop properly.
You make some really good friends working for the company, it's really hard work but the Good days are really satisfying.
Pros
Salary is good for senior supervisors and managers hired from outside of the company
Cons
A lot of unpaid overtime to meet unreasonable expectations, salary for internal managers is less that external hires.
Management the biggest let down
Driver Bromsgrove (Former Employee) –  Midlands13 November 2018
Pay is ok at £9.22 for driving a van. Rota is just weird as they would rather employ 9 drivers than 3 or 4 full time. I was promised 41 hours a week but when rota was received it was 12 hours one week and 20 the next. Totally lied to me in the interview and I had made it clear that without full time hours i wouldn't be able to live. I did the first day and was then offered interview the following day for a job on 30k a year in engineering. I phoned them and explained i couldn't turn this down but was then sacked for going to the interview and trying to better myself . Had I been given 41 hours I probably wouldn't have gone at all as it was just a job to get by for a while. The best thing is speaking to the store manager and him saying he couldn't survive on those hours to be honest but we are letting you go! Shambolic really.
Pros
£9.22 is ok
Cons
Rubbish hours, Incompetant management !!!
fun place to work with the right staff and management
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 August 2018
quite a relaxed company to work for, line managers are good but area managers can be very strict.
sometimes caught short when there is not enough staff in and expected to stay behind to help.
overall good expereince with iceland and many career opportunities if you are willing to work hard for it!
Pros
10% discount and staff parties
Cons
long hours, hard physcial work
Bread lasts longer than the managers
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Blandford7 October 2018
Worked as a driver at one of there stores, never enough time to load and deliver to there schedules, which meant unpaid overtime, Van and crates where filthy, I did clean van once, found receipt dating back 2 months. Poor management culture, large turnover of staff.
Pros
Cant think of one
Cons
Unpaid overtime poor conditions
worst place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire2 November 2018
worst company to work for. Best place to Ruin your Retail management career.
Managers are forced to breach all laws and regulations.
Night mere place for any role. Shop floor colleagues are not fully paid according to their hours worked. Underpaid and Backward Management. Slavery trend.
Never work for this company.
Poor hours and poor enviroment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool11 October 2018
I worked at a customer assistant for almost a year, I recently quit. Little to no training provided. I was only allowed to work on tills even though I frequently asked to change to stock or delivery shifts.

Same hours and shifts. For me these were 7.5 hours a week till 6pm on a Wednesday and a Saturday, these were only 3 hour shifts. My avaliblity at the time was any day and any hours. When I got a second job, my availability change was refused?! Extra shifts were given to the same people.

The worst part about this job was the management. Extra shifts and training were given to certain people. When confronted I was bullied for being slower than the others even though I was barley trained. I contact head office and HR about this but left before anything was done as I couldn't take it anymore.
Pros
Good pay and discount
Cons
Favouritism, harrasement, no hours
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire26 July 2018
Management and staff are friendly. Good place to work, fast pace needed but they give lots of praise when hard work has been shown. Great rate of pay, and bonus.
Horrible place to work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool13 December 2018
Very bad management who hasn't got a clue what they doing. Boss you about and talk to you like rubbish while they out the back talking most of your shift. You get half an hour training on the till then leave u to it on your next shift. I mainly worked on the late shift with only me working on the till. While two other people do the stock out back. Take ages to come help u if u get stuck with the till while the customers get sick of waiting. The manager tells you to stay on the till for all the shift then get told off by the assistant manager for not restocking the shelves it's like been at school.

Only thing I enjoyed about this job was talking to the customers
Pros
Talking to the customers
Energetic, productive
Night Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire28 February 2018
A typical shift for me involves a full replenishment of the frozen department and stock deliveries stored tidily away in the back up freezer as well as assisting wherever else needed.
It has led me to adopt a great attention to detail and moderate managerial skills such as delegation and time management.
My manager and supervisory staff motivate me well and give me adequate resources in order to achieve my tasks. They praise me when I have exceeded expectation and keep my morale in check.
The most difficult part of my job is the occasional physical demands and affect it has on my social life due to the shifts involved. It can also be quite stressful when having to deal with awkward customers over the phone from time to time, but I always do my best to resolve the issues in the most modest and mature manner.
I enjoy the nature of the job, as I love to stay active and stimulated and this role certainly provides that.
Pros
Quiet environment with little distraction
Cons
Anti-social hours
ok place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Retford, Nottinghamshire26 October 2018
good place to work depending on staff. work and life balance depends on hours you get each week. contract is only 7.5 hours a week but you will get a few more than that more than likely. sometimes your life does enroll around iceland but can be worth while on pay day. good thing about pay is its weekly.management is ok but you can get promised a step up with in the company but then you get let down. depending on management. pay is minimum wage but everyone gets paid the same apart from management.
fun and flexible place to work!
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent23 September 2018
Working for Iceland was a true retail experience which taught me a lot about the qualities which I wish to carry with me into future jobs and potential careers.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Possible long hours
Forget a work life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire4 April 2018
Work life balance isnt something Iceland care about, the culture has changed in the last 5 years, costs have got tighter & tighter leading to de moralised staffed. This is a forumla for failure, staff cant see progression even if its 'promised' the hours are not there to train & mentor staff. Pay is okay for Store managers, front line staff are now on minium wage for the first time I can recall in over 10 years!! Best part of the job is the customers. Worse part of the job is theft, you're managed on stockloss yet arent prodvided with the correct tools (eg a gaurd)

If you're looking going in at store manager level, be warned it isnt all sunshine & rainbows, working xmas eve, boxing day, new years day, mothers day, fathers day, all easter, bank holidays etc is expected from managers.
Pros
customers
Cons
dont ger breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iceland Foods Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.