Ian Williams Ltd Employee Reviews

Company morale is at its lowest
Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands6 April 2019
Been working here for the a few years and it’s clear that things are getting worse all the time. We are not competitive against other companies and our poor H&S record along with bad working practices isn’t helping. My line manager is clueless and thinks shouting and verbally abusing staff gets results ..... it doesn’t I am looking for a new job as soon as possible. Directors and general managers just bully and abuse staff to motivate them as they don’t know how to manage or install confidence in staff. The sooner I leave the better
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Verbal abuse, bullying encouraged to cut corners and quality
Poor management bad practices dire work culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  South6 April 2019
Unfortunately IW has gone off the rails in the last few years as they lose contracts and projects more and more. Just lost a huge social housing contract and the work force had all their end of year bonuses withheld (although all managers still got theirs) poor customer service and bad practices being the main reasons. Staff at all levels are leaving every week. Senior managers push everyone harder and harder encouraging bullying of staff and cutting corners and quality all the time. Resigned today as I can’t work for such a bad company any longee
Pros
Cons
150 characters wouldn’t cover all the problems
In it for the long haul - I love my job!
Regional Business Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire25 March 2019
I have to say that after working for Ian Williams for nearly 6 years, I have never worked somewhere where I've been so supported professionally and personally from all levels of management and I strive to do the same for my team.

With Ian Williams you really do get out what you put in. I am committed to the Business and working hard and in return for this mindset I feel I have been rewarded as such and have seen my role develop and grow with me, allowing for 2 promotions this far in to my career.

The hardest part of my role is knowing which route to take next in terms of the work I can get involved with, there are so many opportunities to get involved if you are prepared to work hard and that too is what I love most about my job!
Pros
Scope to grow and develop yourself, very stable & secure company to work for, good benefits if prepared to work hard
Cons
I don't have any
Very understanding
Full Time Painting and Decorating Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2019
After having personal issues the company were prepared to help me throughout my employment.
They looked after me and were able to accommodate a transfer once it was requested.
Unfortunately painting was not for me.
Don’t believe anything
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2019
I wouldn’t believe anything on the job adds there loosing work by the minute ask any of the employees on site they are loosing the anchor contract and lost loads this year already they have not a clue how to run a job and are very un organised don’t work for this company the wages are worse than a labourer and the management just don’t have a clue
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 March 2019
I worked for Ian William's for twelve plus years and had to go elsewhere because of tupe, I am now back which says alot.
They have always been supportive in my career, offered great opportunities to progress within the company, and really made me feel part of the team.
Pros
Excellent working atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Opportunity and security
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  South East19 March 2019
The Company provides plenty of opportunity to progress and this is evident when you look at where many of senior Management started their careers. The basic pay is not exceptional however there are many additional perks including use of company vehicles and performance reward. I have worked for five Business Managers. Every one of them has always given me time whenever I asked. They are attentive and supportive. The ethos is to improve performance rather than punish mistakes wherever possible. The most difficult part of the job recently has been maintaining a good work/life balance due to staff illness/shortages. This isn't always the case, and again my Managers are the first to tell me to speak up if I need support. The relationship between site staff and office staff could improve, and this will require input from the office staff who need to provide site with confidence in their targets and planning. The most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion is handing over a high quality job where everyone involved has been able to exceed targets and earn bonus for a happy client.
Pros
Cars, variety, performance reward, empowerement and responsibility
Cons
Poor Work/life Balance at times
Great company to work for
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 March 2019
I have worked for Ian Williams for 5 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I have always got along with the people I work with in the office and out on site due to the team culture created within the company.

The business is open and very much focused on employee's welfare, with everyone given the opportunity to earn bonus above their salary.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
n/a
Poor pay, long hours, clueless managers
Multi Trader (Current Employee) –  Kent24 February 2019
Ian Williams should consider fitting a revolving door as soon as I started working here I wanted to leave. Poor pay, long hours , horrendous travelling in your own van which you get paid peanuts for and management that keep piling the pressure on and clueless in their own role. Massive turn over of staff with most leaving in 6 months or less. Worst mistake I made coming here. Read all the reviews not just the few positive ones.
Pros
I can’t think of any
Cons
Far too many to list
Joke of a company
Decorator (Former Employee) –  Leeds And Bradford, Yorkshire31 January 2019
AVOID THIS COMPANY
Don’t waste your time with this company, they promise you bonus then come up with every excuse not to pay it when you have clearly earned it.
Then they mess your wages up constantly or don’t bother paying you at all.
Management are a joke, no people skills and no organisation, all talk and no action, just bare faced liars.
No consideration for their staff at all.
Unrealistic time frames
Unsafe environments and situations when lone working
And you might as well talk to a brick wall if you have any problems.
Pros
Some good staff to work alongside
Cons
Bad management, awful planning and organisation, overall bad company
Roofer
Roofer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands31 January 2019
Management are a total joke worse company I have ever worked for stay away from this circus at all costs total rubbish work is very boring and a lot of driving to achieve nothing then they wonder why you don't get bonus
Good team bad management
Operative (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire29 January 2019
MANAGEMENT ARE A JOKE
unrealistic job completion times,
someone can’t do simple maths , as wages are always wrong, leaving you out of pocket,
Bonuses promised then withdrawn,
This company couldn’t organise a child’s party in McDonald’s
Pros
Cons
Excellent lads to work with
Fubar
multi skilled operative (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham28 January 2019
I'll give you a few weeks support from certain supervisors ops managers way out of their depth good thing weekly wage no a van if your one of the lucky ones
Pros
The pay is weekly
Cons
Supervisors managers
Social housing
Painter and Decorator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 January 2019
The typical day at work is working with residence on a daily basis. You are left to your own, No management Feel like a person, not a number.
Feel a part of life & society, making a significant contribution to society, the construction industry. Great company great travel benefits, well-paid company for even the most entry-level positions. Great staff, Mostly are friendly.
Pros
Steady income, travel
Cons
Bonus
Supportive, Encouraging and Fun Work Environment
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire3 January 2019
I started working for Ian Williams as a Trainee Surveyor in the Cardiff office, and was allocated a mentor to shadow and learn from, although everyone in the office was more than willing to help out. The trainee programme is very focused and there is input from all levels (surveyors to directors), you get the impression that everyone is routing for you. As part of the focused programme of training I was placed on a six month secondment to the Southampton office, once I had been with the company for 2 years. During this time I was still able to contact the team in the Cardiff office if I had any questions, and they were all supportive of my learning. The team in the Southampton office were very welcoming and have also helped me progress. Both offices have a great atmosphere with encouraging and supportive colleagues, and no two days are ever the same.

The work can be challenging but you will be provided with the tools and support required to succeed. As a surveyor you will get a buzz from pricing and securing works and making profit. With your day to day tasks including client meetings, overseeing the financial aspects of the contracts (from subcontractors to invoicing clients).

There are plenty of opportunities for career progression with a lot of the managers and directors having worked their way up, and a lot of the workforce have been with the company for over 20 years, some have even been around for over 40 years!
Pros
Training, Support, Work Ethic
Cons
N/a
Manager (Current Employee) –  England1 January 2019
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands31 December 2018
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol31 December 2018
It genuinely is all about the people
HR (Current Employee) –  Head Office18 December 2018
I can honestly say every Ian Williams office you go into, you are greeted in the same way, with a smile, a welcome and an open mind to create ideas and support. They have given me the opportunity to grow a part of a division and have exposure to all elements of the business. You are challenged, you are pushed but only to be the best version of yourself. There is always support whether it's within your team or from your management. When people say what is it that keeps you committed to your employee, I would say here at Ian Williams, it's the people and you can't get that across in writing, you have to come and experience it for yourself.
Pros
The people you work with
Secure and good earning potential
Painter and Decorator (Current Employee) –  London29 November 2018
You are guaranteed a wage plus you get travel and fare allowances which are typically are worth another £50 per week.

There is plenty of potential to earn extra money on the bonus scheme if you work hard, plus you can usually work extra hours if you want to increase your earnings even more

Management are fair, and are keen for you to earn money as long as you are prepared to work for it.
Pros
Guaranteed basic, Bonus Scheme, travel and fare payments
Cons
Some jobs are better than others

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ian Williams Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.