IBM Employee Reviews

Supportive but limited
Marketing and Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester16 February 2018
As a placement student my team and director where incredibly supportive in helping me develop within my role.
However, I did not receive many opportunities to expand into other areas of marketing and other areas of IBM.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Undervalued
Typical Day
Lead Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire15 February 2018
Good company to work for apart from some internal politics.
Site locations were very nice and easy to reach, also it was a very professional company..
Pros
Working at home
Cons
A lot of internal processes
The job
Onboarding business development (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire11 February 2018
Management was poor
Employees were treated differently and unfairly
Long hours - out of contract
Diverse workplace culture
I learnt it wasn't the job for me
Pros
social events
Cons
long hours, poor management
Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) –  UK8 February 2018
I do not see why this is a mandatory requirement in order for me to look at job vacancies. I find this inappropriate and a waste of my time ...........
No support
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 February 2018
Not for family working people, no life-balance and moved across country without any discussion.

I was moved last minute form the Midlands to Amsterdam and on the wrong account for my skill set. Then when I moved after agreement I was told no I must stay. I then had to fight to get back to London.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No fun or long-term organisation
Business Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire1 February 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at IBM, being able to develop into a well-rounded individual ready for graduate employment. The placement enabled me to gain unparalleled exposure to how major corporates operate, and to understand the multiple roles and career options that are available going forward. As well as this, the friendly culture of IBM helped me to settle in quite quickly, whereas the management were extremely supportive and inclusive - providing me with opportunities to grow by promoting me to two client facing roles.
Wealth of Knowledge and Experience
IT Project Management (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire1 February 2018
Great place to work, can be flexible when you need it to be.
As a PM I need to manage my own workloads and ensure I delivery to a high standard.

Hard work and a high pressure and challenginf environment. But its helping me better my skills and knowledge all the time and I always relish a challange.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long hours / very demanding (but good as always pushing you to achieve more)
Varied Life Inside Big Blue
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampshire1 February 2018
The area I've worked within has been one of great variety. I've had the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects and with some fantastic people. The benefits you get with IBM are brilliant and the idea of work life balance only really works depending on who you work with or the work you do - and really you have to work to force the balance on yourself. The worst thing though is the lack of education, this might be a present moment issue but to gain any form of formal education it's a very long process and normally you're told no at the end of it - once again down to the sector you work in. the higher up you go in and look at the management you realise that some people have been promoted way above their skills or capabilities - the fact track promotions can be a good idea but some people really shouldn't be in charge of people. My experience I don't believe is typical, maybe I've been in the wrong places at the wrong time.
Pros
Private Healthcare
Cons
Productive, customer focused and friendly company
Application Support Analyst/Developer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire26 January 2018
Learned to develop C/SQL/Unix on Windows / Unix platforms.
Testing from Unit, functional, Regression, UAT (User acceptance).
Liaised with customer to support spplication issues such as data feed problems and interfaces to industry partners.
Liaised with management meetings on matters of delivering new projects from conception to production.
The culture was friendly, customer focused and progressive in delivering excellent to customer (RAF).
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Motorway journey to work due to hold ups but overcome by flexible working hours
Great place to work and progress your career
Travel and Transport Cognitive Solutions Europe (Former Employee) –  Europe25 January 2018
I spent several very happy years with IBM, with opportunities to advance my career and become exposed to new technologies and techniques. The encouragement to learn new skills is embedded in the culture at IBM, and success is rewarded.

Only downside is that whilst the people are terrific, the management structures are somewhat archaic and can be difficult to work with, but probably no more so than any other organisation of this size and structure.
Pros
Good training and career advancement
Cons
Some frustration with management structures
relaxing job and enjoyable
Joiner (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough19 January 2018
enjoyed my work and a relaxing place to work like going in to work there was no stress get on well with other colleegs job was enjobly because there was direffent task each day
Pros
took own lunch in
Cons
some were long days
The best company I have worked for.
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hursley17 January 2018
Positive and focused direction with a real concern for employee well-being seldom seen elsewhere. Profit driven with clear motives and direction. Hurley was a great work environment.
excellent environment
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo Station17 January 2018
i would highly recommend IBM a professional friendly place of work.
i had an excellent time working their as i was treated fair and professional and it was indeed a comfortable environment to work in.
Outsourced to India. Abandoned by IBM
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Warwick11 January 2018
The days of the old "Blue chip" IBM are over. All work that can be pushed out to India is gone. You will have no recourse. the will make you redundant after years of service with the basic government minimum. the culture is one of dog eat dog. IBM have not innovated anything in the last ten years. They are on a vertical slope into oblivion. China will soon buy up the entire company for buttons. Even the IBM pension fund has sold its IBM shares. The hardest part of the job is seeing customers not get what they pay for due to the inane and circular Indian support. The most enjoyable part has long gone and IBM as you know it will cease to exist. It will become a parody and nostalgia brand item to feature on Chinese tablets. if you need a job and can force your way in just to put that once proud name on your CV then do so but keep looking since your tenure is liable to be shorter than a candle in the dark.
Pros
IBM's public perception as a good big company
Cons
The accountants driving it into the ground with the lowest common denominator
wow fun.
Stevenage Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Stevenage9 January 2018
IBM is a leader in this global transformation, and we’re looking for talented professionals to navigate this new world with us. IBM is just the place to advance your career and further develop your expertise. Whether you’re an experienced consultant, sales professional, researcher, designer or developer....as an IBMer, you’ll collaborate with extraordinary, insightful professionals in an environment that cultivates creativity and individuality. You’ll be part of an innovative team that strives to make the world work better. And you’ll help our clients visualize a future they did not think possible. We provide a flexible and collaborative working environment, plus the opportunity to grow your expertise through training and career development tailored to your interests and aspirations.
Pros
free lunch tea/coffee
Cons
long hours and environment
IBM's transformation extends to the way it treats it's people
Test Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire8 January 2018
IBM was the text-book large corporation to aspire to work for. Their management practices, training, benefits, compassion and respect for the individual were legendary.

IBM's success was based on great products and great people.

Managers were 'people managers' who's job was to ensure their team was happy, interested and making a contribution.

IBM is a great place to work. Innovative and exciting technologies. IBM has long history and has great reputation for learning and supporting all staff.
Stressful environment, poor pay and conditions
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire4 January 2018
IBM is a company that incentivises its senior management by the promise of substantial bonuses for meeting targets. Senior management usually achieve these targets by pushing staff to work long hours under high amounts of stress. The overall feeling is that management are happy to push people until they crack, and when they do make them redundant and replace them with cheaper off-shore resource who don't know how to do the job.
Pros
Opportunities to try new things
Cons
Highly stressful, low levels of job security
Very professoional workplace
Security Supervisor and Deputy Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire4 January 2018
Daily checks on the building and AI's adhered to.
Meeting and greeting clients daily and accommodating with their needs. Using PC to carry out various tasks, answering the phone and taking bookings.
I learnt a lot about building management and facilities.
hardest part of the job was the long hours but I didn't mind because the people were very nice and I had my own office environment.
Very Productive
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  RO3 January 2018
I learned in a short time to support business applications and ERP software and the interfaces between them. I learned also to work with external customers.
Placement year
Brand System Specialist (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I worked in their marketing department during my placement year so my view might be different to that of a full time adult employee.

they were a decent enough company to work for, but there was no major benfit to working for them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

56.6K