IBM Employee Reviews

Found 475 reviews matching the search See all 23,366 reviews
Very good company to work for
Support Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greenock21 October 2018
Very good management support.
Support for career movements and guidance.
Good colleagues.
As a european centre the culture was very good.
Overall a great place to work.
Worst company I have ever worked for
Executive (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 October 2018
Been here over 7 years so seen a lot, but generally company lacks leadership, it has a bullying culture to get oversold promises delivered... Delivery capability is now mainly India....
Advice to Potential new employees avoid ibm until it improves or gets a long overdue restructure top down....
Advice to Customers if your looking to outsource risk and are smart at contract negotiations and business you will be ok, if your looking for actual vale add services go to AWS and Azure or do it yourself, this company will not deliver unless it’s one of Ginnis top 25 accounts...
Most of the good people have left so what’s left is Firefighting from account to account

HR is also now a chat bot, and managers are condescending and have little time or interest in your career development unless it makes them look good or helps them climb the ladder...

Not had any worthwhile training in 7 years other than sales and more sales, a few uninspired conferences

Unless your Indian, a graduate or in Sales then there is little for this company to offer anyone other than a dead end career with no investment in people or their career.
Pros
It can pay well
Cons
Lacks leadership, innovation and delivery
Tremendous people and amazing worksite
Marketing, Communications and Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester16 October 2018
IBM has provided me with the strong foundation for my career. I served almost 17 years across 3 different locations and the support they give you both in career progression and work/life balance is amazing.
For me personally I had to leave due to there not being any further advancement in Marketing and Communications but I am still in touch with my colleagues and follow the companies progress fondly.
Pros
People, Location, Salary, Benefits, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Bureaucracy, Small fish in a big sea!
Summary of IB Motors
General Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire12 October 2018
I enjoyed my time working at IB Motors and I gained valuable skills and experience. I learnt how to communicate effectively with customers over the phone. I also got taught what MOT and service history of cars. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and polite. The hardest part of the job was multitasking. There were times where I could manage one task but I couldn't do other tasks at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking to different types of customers over the phone and face-to face.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
long working hours
Excellent time
Administrateur de données et de réseau (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2018
i joined as a temp to finish data entry.. but the environment and co workers there have given me so much confidence and appreciated my work that i was crying when i had to leave the job
Highly Confidential and Discrete Role
MSI Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 October 2018
• Liaison with customers and end-user to understand and support solutions
• Modify Build Core Applications, thence upgrading image to meet customers business needs
• SMS Active Repackaging for all level of each projects development life-cycle
• Generating .mst files from vendor .msi applications
Pros
Wonderful Work Environment
Cons
Short-term Contract, Highly Intense Deadlines
Fun placement and would recommend to anyone looking to take a business and computing route in the future
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 September 2018
This experience allowed me to take a business route through school and developed a strong passion for the business world. From meting new people who I have still got connesctions with and learning aspects of running a multi national company I enjoyed every minuet.
Started as a great place to work but recently went downhill fast
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire27 September 2018
Started off as a great place to work, inclusive culture, team events and many performance related benefits. Recently the whole atmosphere has changed, too much off-shoring, de-skilling of long serving staff, no real incentive to perform
Pros
Not many
Cons
Hands off management, splintered structure, dwindling morale amongst staff
Generally Speaking a good place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire17 September 2018
When you work somewhere for 20 years obviously it can't be a bad place to work.
The lower/middle management are on your side and will back you 100%. Upper management not so much and feel a little remote from reality possibly.
Pay is good, but be prepared to work extra and over just to get an average yearly review. Just doing your job is absolutely not good enough at IBM.
Being a multi national company you can pretty much do whatever you want and go where you want in terms of long term career.
Would I recommend IBM as a company - 5 years ago yes, definitely. Less so now. Far too many redundancies and almost zero job security.
But I would say if you are young and wanting to get a foot in the IT industry, go for it. IBM on your CV will always look good.
The people that work for IBM are great. Everyone helps everyone. Theres always someone out there able to help. The use of 360 degree feedback is brilliant. Communication is good also.
Pros
Good benefits, Good pay.
Cons
Terrible bonus, Senior Management v poor.
Very Intense
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London5 September 2018
I found it a work environment where projects seem to be left to the last moment and then rushed. Staff are pressurised to complete these projects to meet the Senior Manager's, usually unrealistic, timeframes. Getting authorisation to order equipment is very bureaucratic and has to be signed off at every stage. I have only worked on one client site, so it may be just that site alone where this happens. On the positive side, I have to say my fellow project managers were very helpful and professional.
Pros
Worked on leading edge equipment
Cons
Working environment does not provide for time to plan properly
Great company to work for
Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom3 September 2018
Professional company and great employee perks.
The only downside is that they are constantly going through rounds of redundancies which unsettles employees so that they end up loosing good talent as employees want to feel secure.
Great internship
Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 September 2018
I undertook a year's work placement at IBM in 2016. The flexible working hours were great however management was often poor due to the large size of the company.
Ibm
GTS Systems & Networking Consultancy Lead (Former Employee) –  Hursley, Hampshire30 August 2018
Since I have been through the process of a re-structure my workload doubled, going forward I don`t feel the account is stable as there is a possibility of the business to be re-located.
The hardest part of the job currently is to balance the workload.

My favourite part of the job is getting great feedback from our customers.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Poor Executive
good working hours
Field Service ATM Engineer (Former Employee) –  East London26 August 2018
I enjoyed working there, I learnt a lot from that company. it is a good IT company to get into. And the head office is down by the embankment. IBM as a company treat you very well.
Pros
work hours
Cons
Professional and friendly work environment
Work Experience placement (Former Employee) –  South Bank, London21 August 2018
It was a work shadowing experience - where I was shown the processes, working environment and the different areas within IBM. Provided an insight on what it would like to work at one of the largest computer firm in the world !
Pros
Exception place to learn and vast career opportunities
Cons
Travel or relocation may be required
Productive and fun working place
Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire20 August 2018
IBM is employee friendly and provide scope to learn and excel in career.
A great place to work and Career coach help guide to target the aspiration of your career and support in achieving it.
A great place for I.T. skills development.
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Harbour, Hampshire18 August 2018
While I was with the company, it was a great place for allowing people to grow their I.T. skills.

Over the twenty two years with the company, I had many opportunities to follow different lines of technical growth in my career.
Not a Positive Experience
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Highbridge13 August 2018
Constant escalations, SDM & AM not following process. Everyone wants everything yesterday. High staff turn over for supporting large customers. Very little support internally. Making lots of people redundant so service is affected & those left behind have to pick up the pieces.

I am sure there are other areas of the business that aren't going through these changes and is a better place to work. I haven't seen this place though.
Pros
looks good on the CV
Cons
High Pressure, not rewarding
Ok
Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham13 August 2018
No work life balance - suitable only for younger people. Good pension and benefits. Could be required to work anywhere in the country and even abroad.
Overall decent place
Internship (Former Employee) –  London9 August 2018
I worked as an intern, as such my experience at the company is limited. However I would say the experience was decent. I respect IBM for providing opportunities for young people to grow and learn new skills, this is something not.a lot of companies do. The work became a little repetitive, it would have been better if they offered rotational programs. However things could have changed by now. Overall, a good place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

57.8K