IBM Employee Reviews

Self-contract
Technical Solution Manager (Pre-Sales) (Former Employee) –  Home based office16 May 2018
IBM provides very little help for your career or job training and makes it very clear that, in essence, 'you're on your own'. The training/education budget was constantly cancelled.
Dynamic, Focussed, Achievable Targets
Innovation Accounts Software Client Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 May 2018
Typical Day:- Client facing, focussed on innovative approaches to sales to achieve targets,
Learned:- Finance sector, Public sector, Software and services sales
Management:- European Management, UK & Nordics sales leadership:-
Culture:- Fun, determined to achieve, teamwork,
Hardest part of job:- Managing both Internal & External relationships to achieve common success,
Most enjoyable part of job:- winning, good internal working environment,
Pros
Making organisations flexible to achieve the customers success
Cons
Long but flexible hours
Needs TLC
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London. Home13 May 2018
Fantastic people, great ability to work away or at home but not a company to build trust with employees. Big push to remove UK resources and recruit 80% of UK staff from Poland and India - this means the UK resources are stretched
Long term career ar IBM
European Channel Program and Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire8 May 2018
Good for developing diverse skills sets. Sales and Management education is top quality.
Over 20 years I have worked with some amazing people both in the UK and across Europe.
Amazing Technical products and people let down by Management
Senior Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 May 2018
IBM is an amazing company to work for full of brilliant people and wonderful products and technologies. With the right Manager you can have excellent work / life balance.

Senior Management is not very strong though and pay rises are few and far between and miserly when they come. Every year / 18 months sees new rounds of redundancy with very good people being let go even when there are suitable positions elsewhere in the company.
Pros
technology, people, work / life balance
Cons
Poor salary, redundancies, senior management
productive and good work culture
AIX /Linux System Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 May 2018
the workload is balanced but not so much new thing to learn .
management is good,but less facility on medical and others .the hardest part of our job is its very much hectic to get leave.we have to ask all the hierarchy of managers.enjoyable part is we have team outing ,team bonding and other activity together
Working @ IBM
Release Manager/Senior System Engineer (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom4 May 2018
Good company to work with. I have been associated with IBM from the very beginning of IT career . IBM has given me the opportunity to try different roles .
Work Life Balance
SDM (Former Employee) –  UK3 May 2018
Good company for work life balance.
Large matrix organization, who adapt to ever changing needs and culture.
Focus on training and education.
Good for job movement and exploring other areas in IBM.
Offering Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire2 May 2018
I work as an Offering Manager in IBM's Hursley Lab, near Southampton. I have been in the company for nearly 8 years and started out as a graduate from university. I worked in various companies before getting my degree and IBM has been by far the best company I've ever worked for. I have been given some great opportunities and advanced reasonably quickly because of this. I have a great work/life balance due to flexi-time but I do feel that IBM get their money's worth out of me I work 8:30-5:00 every day and rarely take a lunch break (my choice) and then work 2-3 evenings to cover my workload. I never work weekends and for me, this balance works. It's not everyone's cup of tea and this is by no means standard across IBM.

I took 10 months off on maternity leave a year ago and the benefits were great, it was easy to organize and when I came back to work I was given a fantastic job and a pay rise. I was also able to come back on compressed hours - full time compressed into 4 working days. I did this for nearly a year so I had more time with my child and have since gone back to 5 days which I feel is better for me.

IBM has a long-standing commitment to equal opportunity - I have found that diversity is actively embraced in our company rather than endured as I found at previous companies.

I do feel that there are some challenges in the company - we don't have as many staff as we used to so workloads have increased but I feel like a valued member and I feel that my pay reflects the level of work I put in and my commitment to the company.

Overall, IBM is great to work for.
  more... If you want a challenging role, the opportunity to move around different types of roles, or travel then IBM will work for you. Similarly, if you want a single work location and to have a job that pays the bills, where you can leave work at work then IBM will work for you too.  less
Pros
Company car scheme, flexi-time, maternity package, beautiful locations, equal opportunities, travel
Cons
Large workload - not enough time in the day!
At the end of the Day your a number
Lead Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  Bradford2 May 2018
This can sometimes work to your advantage, and then at redundancy time it can work against you.
I worked a lot of happy years with IBM. And would still have been there if I have the choice.
Poor Management
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  London1 May 2018
Too much higher management hierarchy.
Need to get some good projects.
Re-org required in mid and higher management.
We do not need non-technical managers and useless partners in higher management. They are sucking all the profit from the project and technical people are not getting anything.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Poor Management
Good work, life balance
SENIOR SERVICE MANAGEMENT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Glasgow30 April 2018
Good place to work but constant cost cutting erodes good processes & practices - very corporate. Management don't always communicate effectively with staff therefore bad decisions made.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too corporate
Good Place to work but with Challenges
Programme Manager - GTS (Current Employee) –  Hursley, Hampshire26 April 2018
Challenging place to work with the continued staff reductions in the UK. Staff are being asked to manage increasingly difficult situations due to lack of the appropriately skilled SME's
A Very Supportive Place To Work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London Mark Lane24 April 2018
My colleagues and managers helped me develop during my first year at IBM and once I was up to speed gave me the freedom to take responsibility for my work without constant supervision or micro management.

This balance was key to my success at the company and I really value the time I have spent here developing and becoming a more efficient project manager.
Pros
Freedom to take responsibility with big clients.
Cons
Hours can be long at times
Learning Curve
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead Riverside23 April 2018
IBM provides excellent learning capabilities via RedBooks,KnowledgeCenter and IBM Support TV through which I learnt many middleware technologies at ease.
The POCs and Projects I did in IBM helped me gain both domain and technical expertise
Pros
Learning oppurtunities are plenty
Cons
Nothing I can think of
Not a people focused company
Managing Consultant (Current Employee) –  London20 April 2018
A huge company with a huge reputation and history and a lot of good things going for it, BUT, IBM is all about the numbers and no attention at all is paid to staff development and management other than to meet the bottom line.
So if you're unlucky enough to be between engagements at the wrong time, expect to be made redundant or dumped on whatever project happens to be available regardless of your skill set.
While this might sound reasonable from a business perspective, it's not going to do your career or personal development prospects any good at all.
Pros
Good salaries and pension
Cons
Clueless management
Constant Change , share price is king
Product VP Model Risk and Regulatory Capital (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 April 2018
Interesting Work, Very smart people to work , excellent training some internal politics, aggressive sale targets, and the place is managed on tactical short term rather than strategically Huge stuff turnover, albeit some people do return to IBM; Salaries are lowering for the newer entrants
Pros
Interesting Work, Very smart people to work, excellent training
Cons
Constant Restructuring and business model remodelling
Limited training opportunities
Operations Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Home based, North Harbour, Portsmouth, UK18 April 2018
I transferred into IBM with an account and expected better opportunities to use and build on existing skills. I found training to be limited to only new and emerging technologies with little or no budget for legacy (mainframe) training.
Pros
Home working
Cons
Training restrictions and Offshoring
My opinion
Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 April 2018
my opinion about a previous employer is not relevant as I am not looking to continue as a technology consultant I have left the profession and changed career to become a counsellor & psychotherapist
Pros
blue chip company
Cons
non
bureaucratic and process driven
Area Coordinator for the North of the UK and NI (Former Employee) –  Leeds16 April 2018
Very bureaucratic and process driven with people being put into roles rather than moving into them. Massive recent job cuts makes it a joyless place to work with poor work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

57.1K