IBM Employee Reviews

Not a Positive Experience
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Highbridge13 August 2018
Constant escalations, SDM & AM not following process. Everyone wants everything yesterday. High staff turn over for supporting large customers. Very little support internally. Making lots of people redundant so service is affected & those left behind have to pick up the pieces.

I am sure there are other areas of the business that aren't going through these changes and is a better place to work. I haven't seen this place though.
Pros
looks good on the CV
Cons
High Pressure, not rewarding
Overall decent place
Internship (Former Employee) –  London9 August 2018
I worked as an intern, as such my experience at the company is limited. However I would say the experience was decent. I respect IBM for providing opportunities for young people to grow and learn new skills, this is something not.a lot of companies do. The work became a little repetitive, it would have been better if they offered rotational programs. However things could have changed by now. Overall, a good place to work
Productive and very enjoyable work place
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Hursley8 August 2018
I found the IBM Hursley site very easy to get to from Winchester by bus, which was pretty on-time and reliable. The atmosphere was very productive yet still very enjoyable to work in. Surprisingly, the office seemed to be almost empty for quite a few days of the week from people working at home.
Pros
Great Cafeteria
Cons
Hard campus to navigate
Is great place to work
Project Account & Change Management (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire7 August 2018
As long as no company reconstruction then is a good place to work.

Learned how to self-manage, workplace culture is ok.

would be great if you able to get into full IBMer.
Steep learning curve
It Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 August 2018
IBM are an organisation that will throw you in at the deep end and lend assistance when you have an issue. This I believe is the best way to learn.

The hardest part of the job was taking a team leaders role which is way out of my usual scope as an operator. I took this in my stride and learnt a lot about project management and I service management.

The management are professional and want results and question when they don't get them. This again is great as it pushes you more to complete tasks given to you.

I had a happy couple of years at IBM and enjoyed the roles and targets I was given.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Not there long enough.
In general an enjoyable place to work. New technologies bought in quickly and given sometime to learn
Linux SME for outsourced GTS (Former Employee) –  Kingswood, Lennox Wood, Home2 August 2018
Did many good/productive projects , not just for the customer , but for our own Unix/Linux team. (infrastructure tools)
Learnt a couple of new flavours of unix/linux along the way, and honed my ksh/bash scripting skills.
Work place was OK (originally based in 1st customers office as we did their DataCentre migration) .. but sometime travel to new office to too long, and once it closed, mainly worked from home.

Most frustrating part was the changability of team managers, but the best part was either cracking a problem (coding or noramlly performance issue [O/S/ level]) or completing a project.
Pros
Flexible hours, great colleagues
Cons
See review
Intern Experience
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh26 July 2018
- Friendly working environment
- Gained experience on global project management software project.
- Challenged regularly as an intern to produce quality work
- Given opportunities to improve my technical skills
- Able to approach senior management regularly
Re- structure
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 July 2018
Since I have been through the process of a re-structure my workload has doubled, going forward I don`t feel the account is stable as there is a possibility of the business to be re-located.
The hardest part of the job currently is to balance the workload.

My favourite part of the job is getting great feedback from our customers.
Pros
Solving a customer issue.
Cons
Not enough hours in the day.
IBM placement
Resiliency Services Offerings Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  London5 July 2018
Great way to start a career in tech. In IBM, you are offered an ongoing support and professional development opportunities. The people are great, and this us what maxes the company amazing
Pros
Cons
Bureaucracy
Software Engineer
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hursley, Hampshire30 June 2018
I worked as Software Eng. at IBM Hursley for one year. It is very a nice working environment with big garden, nice working space, gym etc.. It has flexibal working hours. But the good parts end here. Very chaotic managment may cause you start with different teams even when you were promised to work in a specific team. E.g. A specific Manager can hire you to work in nodejs product and when you start you may work in a devops team in other product. They really don't care about you. If you moved to UK for this job from a different country they just might say "we are sorry, you can quit or work in this team". So you work in a team you don't want to or lose the money you paid for moving. Salaries are very low. The location is a very place if you have a family or if you are old. It is very isolated and very remote and boring area. Not suited for young people. It is like a camp in the nature with a lot of old dudes.
Pros
flexibal working hours
Cons
bad managment, low salary, remote&boring area
excellent company to work for
Project/Resource Deployment Manager (Current Employee) –  WIGAN30 June 2018
I work from home and enjoy the flexibility that IBM offers to be able to do this . The management are very supportive and keen to help promote skills
Very nice work environment
Assistant Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Hursley, Hampshire14 June 2018
I only did a weeks work experience placement, however from what I saw it is a very nice place and has great people there. The location is perfect for those who live in Winchester.
People managment
Team manager (Former Employee) –  Swansea7 June 2018
Learnt a lot about how IBM works and how to support the client in order to help growth.

Learnt a number of great skills

Had a great time working there
Great school to learn the world of SaaS and Technology
Sales Development Executive (Former Employee) –  City of London, Greater London2 June 2018
I worked as a Lead Developer for an IBM brand in a team of 4.

I learned various marketing and call techniques which have shaped me well to this date.

I worked with some excellent and some terrible sales people. When it was good the environment was buzzy and professional.

Hardest part: cold calling some miserable prospects

Best part: when deals came through and commission was paid!
Pros
Excellent Perks
Cons
'Stuck in the Mud' upper management.
Loved my time at IBM
Senior Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  London25 May 2018
Loved my time at IBM I would still be there if not for talk of leaving the EU. Was made redundant. Could work from any location and had a great time and Manager.
Pros
Working from any location
Cons
Cannot think of one.
prodution line
Production Operator temp (Former Employee) –  greenock24 May 2018
no longer operating
no longer operating in this country as production plant was relocated and facillety was closed downnow demolished and site is now barren land
productive and insightful
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Leicester24 May 2018
• Provided ideas for the potential holistic development
• learnt the importance of punctuality
• gained knowledge on the key departments in the company
• great work experience.
IBM is no longer a happy place to work.
Channel Manager (Current Employee) –  London21 May 2018
Recently there have been notifications of targeted redundancy programs across the business. We still have the same amount of work but now there are fewer people to do it.
Sales are being micromanaged and more concentration is spent on chasing the deals and responding to desperate questions from management than concentrating on the actual job in hand and creating new business.
There is a good teaming culture within IBM however the atmosphere is not good at the moment.
Pros
The respecy of being an IBM employee
Cons
You are just a number, not a person or a personality
Learning alongwith work life balance
IT Programmer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull17 May 2018
Working with IBM was always learning with lots of new roles and responsibilities.
Involved in almost all technical aspects of SDLC along with project management.
While shadowing my tech architecture, it was interesting as well inspiring to be involved in technical architect responsibilities.

Bit unsatisfied with the project management team as there were lots of hidden treasures got unfold with surprises. Work culture is nice in IBM while not that good in current project as of lots of project surprises.
Pros
Learning, Culture
Cons
Management implications
Self-contract
Technical Solution Manager (Pre-Sales) (Former Employee) –  Home based office16 May 2018
IBM provides very little help for your career or job training and makes it very clear that, in essence, 'you're on your own'. The training/education budget was constantly cancelled.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

57.5K