Hugh James Solicitors Employee Reviews

Good provider of work experience
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil21 September 2017
Good reputation with local schools and colleges in supporting work experience. Thoroughly enjoyed my time shadowing a solicitor and working with legal secretaries during my work experience whilst in Sixth Form. I would recommend other local businesses providing similar opportunities to support youngsters into the workplace.
Low wages with expectations too high
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 July 2017
Work itself was interesting and colleagues were always helpful. However, very low wages, far too much responsibility placed on those earning very little. No noticeable wage increases in support roles, money reserved for solicitors. Seemed like there was an expectation to be willing to take on more work at all times, regardless of capacity. However, workplace culture was good, enjoyable team nights out paid for by partners.
Varied, friendly and stimulating environment
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS1 February 2016
At Hugh James, I undertook my work experience for one full working week as a general assistant/apprentice.
During my time, I gained hands-on experience working in a wide variety of the different positions and roles, including marketing, administration, finance, legal and many more.

I believe I learned a multitude of skills whilst working at Hugh James including time management, communication, advanced presentational ICT, finance management, independent research and situational analysis.

Every one of my co-workers was welcoming, friendly and made me feel like a valuable member of their teams as they included me in all of their tasks.

Upon reflection, I consider the most challenging aspect of the work as having to constantly maintain maximum levels of concentration consistently throughout the day as well as ensuring my written reports were of the highest standard (with exceptional presentation, perfect spelling, punctuation and grammar and being extremely detailed).

The most enjoyable element of my week was meeting new people, getting enveloped in every area of the work I was assigned and experiencing a genuine and honest hard day's work in an office environment,
Pros
Great facilities
Cons
Long Hours
Terrible - avoid!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 October 2015
It appears that no matter how hard you try, you are rewarding with very little.

progression is scarce and a very "clicky" company to work for.
Cons
Terrible Salary
worklife
paralegal (Former Employee) –  cardiff21 September 2015
Good experience and great team. Salary not reflective of degree experience, but plenty of work involved. Managerial experience required for some of the younger members who are working as senior s.
Good Experience
Paralegal Personal Injury Litigation (Former Employee) –  Cardiff25 August 2014
Loyalty did not count for anything at this firm! High turnover of staff due to poor incentives and management/leadership.
A great company to work for
Telephonist / Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cardiff12 January 2013
Hugh James Solicitors are a great company to work for.

I am moving back to Wallasey to be closer to my family, if Hugh James had offices in Liverpool, I wouldn't have to leave, just transfer.
Pros
many staff discounts
Cons
travelling to and from work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hugh James Solicitors. Our community is ready to answer.

Hugh James Solicitors Reviews by Location