Howdens Joinery Co
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Howdens Joinery Co Employee Reviews

United Kingdom439 reviews
The company runs each depot as a separate business, depending on the branch manager working can vary from depot to depot. The head office organizes various events during the year for staff
A lot is expected of you with targets to hit told you will get an hour for lunch then they ask you to take half an hour and they will give you a Saturday off so you are giving them 10 hours to get 4 back each month, you do get a bonus if you hit target but the basic wage is only the minimum rate and most weeks you are working 46.5 hours actually worked.
Pros
Cons
Long hours for minimum wage
I started here at the Cambridge depot are things were pretty good. I then moved to the march branch where I had a torrid time. The manager was pitterful and when I went to higher management they were useless at dealing with the issues I had. The manager had 6 or 7 people leave in the 18 months i was there. I resigned in the end. Very much a lad culture. If your face fits you will be ok but if it doesn't look out.
*8am to 5pm daily with 8am to 12noon Saturdays. Hit the ground running each day, hard work small lunches and decent rewards financially. You work within a team you will learn CAD software and presentation and sales skills. The management are a little undertrained but most grew up in the company.
reasonable social activity but the hardest part of the job will be building the relationships to make the business expand and grow.
Managers are promoted internally from sales and warehouse roles and therefore have no previous experience in management apart from the 'Howdens' method. Far too much pressure in all areas of the business.

TheRegional Manager will drop in from time to time with unrealistic expectations, slowly brainwashing employees into thinking Howdens is the centre of the universe.

Avoid this company at all costs!
Their staff do not have the right skills and experience to sell kitchens. Beware the free tea and coffee and the marketing ploys. Their kitchens are not good. I wouldn't recommend Howdens for kitchens.
I was bullyed bye a member of staff I ended up in hospital and the management team covered up for that member of staff this was 6 years ago I was interviewed after I got out of hospital and was clear from that all staff where told to say nothing about the bullying towards my self from a femail member and she is still working there.
Howdens has a knowledge rich culture which enables you to develop further in multiple aspects of your life at a rapid pace. You are accelerated through multiple internal courses to bring you up to speed
Great company, each depot has their own manager so they differ in management style. Fantastic training programme and bonus scheme. Difficult to progress within the company unless someone leaves.
Good salary if you do only your contract hours, but you always work much more around 49h weekly. If you are manager buddy you will be fine. You are always made to feel guilty after you come back from holiday because you have not been selling during your holiday. Get ready to make your targets it doesn’t matter what is happening or what have happened to you. NO training or just very brief explanation what to do and if you can’t do it afterwards you may get trouble.
One more good thing is that Howdens is close over Christmas period and bank holidays.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Howdens Joinery Co?
Howdens are great company to work for with good ethics and focus on the staff and work life balance.
They have a very fair pay policy and great bonus schemes.

The people are all great to work for and the management and higher management have great engagement with their staff.
-Productive, Selling a wide range of products to a broad customer base
-Fast paced, Selling to hit period target whilst ensuring creative solutions for customers

-Growing, working in a business that prides itself on being a front runner and breaking boundaries

-Good team, great sense of achievement and comradery when targets are collectively achieved
Positive all the way,
Just the management on shifts lack of communication between shifts and team leaders.

Very new warehouse all new equipment such as LLOPs, CBes, VNA trucks,RDT and hand scanners
A supportive company with numerous benefits. A friendly workplace and some flexibility to needing hours off for medical reasons etc. Positive working environment.
Pros
Good bonuses
Cons
hard driving sales; no real lunch break
In these difficult times when companies are turning their back on staff and putting profits before people, Howdens have put people first and remained closed and also announced that all staff will receive 100% of their money in March with bonus but amazingly 100% in April also with Bonus so staff do not have to worry about their finances! I am so proud to work for this company, they always do the right thing by their staff and customers! Well done Howdens you are still leading the way and I am proud to be part of the journey!
Overall Howdens is a good place to work. A typical day depends on your position. I’ve learnt that customer service is paramount. Higher management lack support. Workplace culture depends on the staff. The hardest part of the job is keeping everyone happy. The most enjoyable part of the job is the loyal customers.
Cons
Pay package
I enjoyed putting the incoming stock in the right places. Very helpful place to work at. A typical day would be loading up the vans in the morning for outgoing stock, checking this stock to the order sheet, going out with the drivers to offload at the delivery address and packing items with stretch film The most enjoyable part of the job was probably learning to use and operating a hand truck.
Salaried so never paid for extended hours, management always expecting workload to be totally complete before days trading was complete more time working on spreadsheet and general paperwork
Greate place to work in . If you enjoy work in warehouse and be productive it's place for you, no taking a mick but proper graft, I enjoyed working there
howdens was a great place to work for in certain depots, unfortunately structure was not the greatest as every price was different which caused issues and had a very bulky tactic for staff
The role was as explained, and colleagues werefriendly and for the most part helpful. However, unfortunately I suffered from a health issue, over 6 weeks during which time the company did not take it seriously and failed on their duty of care, causing the issue to worsen
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howdens Joinery Co. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9