Hovis
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Hovis Employee Reviews

United Kingdom67 reviews
i was in charge of the running of the plants 17 sack and 30 sack. I worked as a team of five keeping the plants running organising the staff . inputting on mixers making sure every things running as it should, making sure staff are competent and any issues come and talk to me I was very open and knew the job, capable of running there jobs. reporting to managers letting them know of any issues or on going. Sorting break downs out organising staff to be there and making sure we are back and running . checking times and work loads talking to fitters and electricians of any issues or on going .I think like any shop floor its the banta of the men and women that make the place and working together was very good getting the team to work for you is very rewarding.
Could be a really good job if it wasn’t for the management team at Hovis Nottingham.Between them they have not got a clue,they couldn’t organise a booze up in a brewery and if they did they would probably invite a bunch of Nuns.But if you play golf you would definitely get a invite,they show so much favouritism and if your face don’t fit you will work long hours due to there poor planning and favouritism
Lots of weekend working and early hour starts and if you get any little thing wrong you will face a disciplinary
Pros
Could be a really good job
Cons
Really poor management
As other drivers have mentionned dont follow the money. Look elsewhere! Worked out of the Avonmouth depot Poor work/life balance...the salary is good but that is just to lure you in.
If you are a new driver looking for a class 2 role without experience, Hovis will take you. Why? Because staff turnover is so high. Don’t be fooled by the salary being offered. This job leaves you with no work/ life balance, a constant need to rush around, a management who seem only interested in progressing their own careers, and a constant fear of being disciplined for no reason if you upset the wrong person. Do yourself a favour, don’t follow the money. It will benefit you in the long run.
Pros
Decent salary, new trucks, takes on new drivers
Cons
Management don’t care about staff, very long hours, no facilities on site (everything was closed to save money), poor equipment, no career opportunities.
Turn up for work early and told got to wait till start time. transport flm haven't even got lgv license.load own Lorry with rubbish equipment.management just want to bully you. I worked out of avonmouth.the chosen few have easiest runs.glad I got out of there
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
Wow, best place I’ve ever worked, stress free, never ring you up during whilst out driving, no need to rush around able to stick to speed limit, excellent pay for what you do, no heavy lifting you don’t even get dirty, I get on with all my customers which makes it very enjoyable, I look forward to coming to work in a morning
Even gaffers are or rite. It’s how you make it yourself, if you turn up do your job etc then all is good
Cons
I work for Hovis for few months made a few simple mistakes I was a cleaner there i work very hard I was told I was a good worker they let me go few weeks before time came to take me on and said it was because I told HR I did not have a key worker paper work so I did not get pulled over asked questions the boss did not do me one said I had no right but overall I did get it I was ask to leave my agency did not do one right away
I have worked at Hovis for 13 years now and I think it has been one of the best jobs I have ever had. The management are never going to be perfect and will not suit everyone but I tend to get on with all of them. The team leaders are generally okay.
The salary is great but don't expect any perks because you will be disappointed. The hours are okay generally a 10 hour day, sometimes longer and other days shorter.

I only work nights so that generally means long runs to London, Avon mouth and Southampton. There are also shorter runs, which could be Northampton or Bradford.

All in all I think it's a great job. Don't get me wrong there are some tough days but that is the same in most jobs.
Pros
No free lunches but the wages are good.
Cons
Don't put any ideas forward, the management wont listen.
I worked for Hovis avonmouth for just over 8 months. Not a bad job management decent but can be very fast paced. Only reason I left was due to the shifts.
Not a bad company to work for . Money ok but poor hours and very badly run transport department your ok if your face fits and you play golf. The management is a total waste of time and I would not waste my breath on speaking about the HR Department. Some of the supervisors are ok but some are two faced . The only advice I will give is if you have a full time job is make sure you are 100% sure before joining hovis bakery and if you do watch your back as you will get a knife in it the first chance they get to do it .
typical at hovis was to clean bakery regularly sweeping bread crumbs moping floors and cleaning ovens etc.
the management at hovis could do with some training
Lots of driving on certain routes, some driver not so much and tend to work less than myself, for the same pay, which I find wrong. Enjoy my work but not when managers are trying to add more shifts for the same pay,
I loved my time at Hovis, I worked there 20 years and would go back there in a flash, fantastic team there best working experience ever, still friends with all the guys I worked with even though I left 10 years ago
You will not have much of a life as it’s all nights and even when you have your days off it’s never the full time off as you need to go to bed halfway through the day to be up for your shift
Pros
Not hard work
Cons
Will have no life
The rotas are spot on with no single days off, I'm home every night and I never drive a truck that's more than 5 years old! They're always investing in stuff such as front facing cameras which gives you good protection against some of the idiots out on the road!
It can be frustrating waiting for a load from time to time, but it's the nature of the industry, and isn't that often.
Bad hours . They like you to work your breaks while on break. Management need to go on a course to learn how to speak to people. They could be better.
I left a review a few years ago saying that it would be a good place to work if management changed and I was right.
I left Hovis for 18 months and went back for another stint under the new management. There was a big improvement straight away, the job was far more enjoyable and it felt like you were apart of a team rather than divided.

The money for the hours and work you do is good and it’s all changed for the better at Avonmouth.

There’ll always be people who complain about the job but you’ll get that wherever you go. Some people can have the best job in the world but they’ll always find a fault!
Pros
Easy work, good money
Hovis Avonmouth has had it's troubles in the past, however change is occurring on a daily basis. The people are great, the site is a success, if it does no fit you personally, there are jobs out I am sure would be more fitting.
A lot has gone in to changing the culture and people need to forget the past.

There is a real desire now to train further and improve our standards to a higher level.

In competitive market and area for Logistics the site is very good at retaining its people and this is a tell on how great a workplace is, not opinions.
Pros
People minded management team, great people, succsesful site
i would happily take a full time job here :), good hours good pay and good people to be around it has such a posotive vibe, ow and the lovely smell off bread
Was a relief section leader, spent 10 years here. Fellow employees generally are good, management all tend to stick together and it's a employee vs management kind of atmosphere. Pay rises were pathetic about 0.3% percent was the norm and the union may as well have been bought by the management.

Shifts were 12hrs and the pattern was pretty bad 5 out of 7 weekends you would work all or part of it and the building and machinery is really old and badly maintained.

Pension is the basic government one, sick pay terrible and Xmas working as standard.

In an honest assessment I picked up some decent experience here but was glad to get out and would avoid this place it is going downhill and due to lack of investment can see it closing in the not to distant future.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
All.of above
Management very unpleasant and unprofessional ,working inviorment was much to be desired
From start to finish i felt undervalued and unworthy as this is how your made to feel .I've never worked in a place where I was depressed and spent the day clock watching

Avoid this place 100% and this was felt within the team no one was happy surprised they have staff i got out and can't stress enough on how bad working there is ..:(
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Made to feel worthless