Hovis Employee Reviews

Going back in time
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Belfast23 March 2018
This is a national uk bakery ran like a home bakery in the dark ages. Working here is like going back in time 15 years. Lots of manual labour, very little automation, all in a old dilapidated building.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Hot, dusty, dirty
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Belfast15 March 2018
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Watnall3 February 2018
Everyday was never the same always something different going off around the factory.

It was tiring work but you get used to the hours and the late nights, the sleeping pattern was something i had to get used to quickly but other than that it was great work.
Pros
Break every 60- 90 minutes
Cons
Sleeping pattern
Unfriendly
Production operative (Current Employee) –  Belfast4 September 2017
I have never worked somewhere so backward in my life, you have to watch your own back all the time, everyone looks after themselves, and treat new comers like they are disposable. The health and safety department are a joke, making up rules and policies as they go along, and all they do is hamper the pocess of working. I can't wait until I find another job.
Pros
Can buy product
Cons
Early start and poor canteen
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol30 August 2017
Ive worked at Hovis for 2 years and love every day. Peoples comments on here are either unfounded or they expect to come to work and do nothing for good money !! The world has changed, you come to work to work. If you hate it that much............ leave !
Pros
Great site, great peoole
Hovis.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Glasgow17 July 2017
My typical day working with Hovis included following health and safety guidlines as a product picker. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work within a large team and being responsible for being organised, good at time keeping and reliable.
Run off your feet all day long
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Belfast29 June 2017
Working here was fine, well organised and planned, parts and machinery downtime were co-ordinated and structured. All you had to do was show up for your shift, do a couple of jobs and go home. This has now all changed, since they made key personal redundant, all the co-ordination and planning has gone, jobs get half done because of lack of planning, and then cause breakdowns later on, parts are not available for jobs, preventative maintenance tasks are being skipped. This all leads to more and more breakdowns, it's a downward spiral, we spend more time repairing breakdown than preventing them. You now show up for your shift and get run off your feet all day, going from breakdown to breakdown.
Pros
Cheap bread
Cons
You earn you money
Do as little as you can, as often as possible
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Belfast29 June 2017
Working in the engineering department is quite frustrating as it is disorganised and the engineering management can't manage the department. This is OK for us as we can't complete the jobs left out to us because of poor planning, lack of parts and no downtime on the machinery.During the day shifts you just keep out of the workshop, usually in the canteen and bluff the day in. But the night shifts are the best, I've never worked anywhere, where it's been OK to sleep during your shift, and management knows full well that it happens and turns a blind eye to it
Pros
Easy night shifts
Cons
Poor shift pattern
Use to be a fun place to work no more TOO many rules on shop floor
Bakery Operative (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire6 June 2017
Management do not care about the workers treat them like s!!! I'm alright Jack is the attitude that I found & how I was treated after a loyal 24 years service was awful
Pros
Cons
Long hours no social & family life
Radial driver
Radial driver (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh10 May 2017
Used to be a great job until common sense waved goodbye.....if you like jumping through hoops just because.....this is job for you,
im very disappointed with them.
Pros
Never having to buy a round down the pub because you'll never have time to see your friends anymore.
Cons
Work, sleep, work etc etc
productive and fun work place
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Forest Gate, Greater London20 February 2017
i enjoy working with my team members, it does get tough at times but i am able to deal with all kind of pressure at work. i learn knew things every time i am working.
Cons
long hours but I don't mind
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire13 February 2017
Always looked forward to going too work. good place too work,
plenty to do and a variety .

Sorry if you need to know any more please ask
Pros
every one worked together
Cons
A lot of traffic getting to work
Very bad place for work
Driver class 2 (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol3 February 2017
Very bad start times, very stressful work no job security at all, union is just waste of money, management treat very bad with the drivers, person who make the route don't know nothing about driving a lorry. I have a lot of experience but this was a worse place I had ever worked.
Pros
Cheap bread
Cons
Long hours and bad start time
A great place to work with a variate of people
Radial Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire28 January 2017
My day starts at 3am with the drivers then office work till about 10am. After this time drivers come back to site and are all back by about 2pm and the last hour is closing the day and finish work at 3pm. But some days can be longer than others due to problems that driver have out on the road.I hva elear how to use Tachomaster and Microlise. The hardest part o fthe job is some time it can get very busy so you have to prioritise work.

Dealing with customers and finding out how the drives have go on out on the road.
Pros
a good staff reward scheme by Hovis choice rewards
Cons
can not thing of any
great job
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim7 January 2017
thoroughly enjoyed working at hovis, salary was great. the people were great to get along with. hardest part would have been the long hours
Productive and friendly place to work
Production Hand (Former Employee) –  Leicester14 November 2016
Very good place to work with very good rates of pay.... also if you like four days on four days off then this is the place for you....also gives you very good benefits to work with this company.
Poor conditions and management
Production Operative (Current Employee) –  Avonmouth19 September 2016
I have worked for Hovis twice, first time 8 years present employment 10 years, I feel that the management are just flogging a dead horse, in all the years I have worked at Hovis it has gotten worse as time goes on waste and customer complaints are through the roof, machinary is falling to bits and so unreliable. Training and support is very poor, the only thing that keeps people from leaving is the fact that the money is not too bad and you do get a lot of time off, but have to work long shifts to get this. If it wasn't for this I don't think they would have many staff left and I am suprised most days that the place is still open.
Pros
Salary not too bad
Cons
Poor management, dilapidated machinary
Going going almost gone
Ex driver (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth18 September 2016
The job started out fine and over a period of 3 years it went down hill.
Since leaving for pastures new 4 months ago at least 4 other drivers have left and I know of 2 more leaving
Somethings not right and it comes down to management not listening or asking before implementing rotas or anything else.
If your looking for a year or 2 experience take the risk but there's better work out there.
Pros
Cheap bread
Cons
Management poor. Tired kit. H&S when it suits.
Wasteful and inefficient, so so bad.
Production Operative (Current Employee) –  Belfast14 September 2016
As a factory floor operative you do as you are asked by your manager, you wrap the product on the line and put it baskets for despatch to the customer. But when you come in the next day and half of what was made yesterday is still on the floor and it ends up in the bin you do have to question if the managers can make up the orders correctly. It is very demorallising to see what you made yesterday being thrown out, not even given away to a charity. It is such a waste to see good product threw out. Hovis can't afford to be making waste, this company is strugging to stay operating but incapable managers are making mistakes that cost money and eventually jobs when Hovis closes.
Productive and fun workplace
Despatch Operative (Former Employee) –  Wigan22 July 2016
Good company to work for and the pay was good. Worked at the bakery for 18 years. Worked in the despatch department for 18 years loading on the shop floor and loading trailers to send on to other bakeries within the Hovis network.
Pros
Cheap bread