House of Fraser

House of Fraser Employee Reviews

United Kingdom801 reviews
I would recommend to work in HOF you will gain experience in Customer services and many other duties on shop floor and at the back of the house. over all I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Staff disc.flex .hours
really chill work environment and very productive to keep the workers occupied but not too occupied so it was really balanced overall and working with the other employees with good attitude and enthusiasm really kept the flow
Pros
not so long hours
Unprofessional management , no ethics ,no morals , no rules - like abandoned circus ,understaffed , homophobic nasty security (some of them ) and some permanent staff . No respect and help for people with disabilities like cancer ...
After being bullied there I have ended up with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder , miscarriage and loosing front tooth ... Hard to believe in truth ?
The store being so large there's a 1001 cliques of people. Managers are really lovely minus 1 or 2, super helpful if you're ever stuck. General vibe of work is a doss, can chat all day if you wanted (which I did). Security is crazy high which isn't a bad thing at all but weird knowing you're being watched 24/7. Customers will 110% treat you like a skivvy, just becuase the clothes are a little more expensive. HR is very good. VERY long days for full time staff, have to continuously make things to do cause you definitely be standing around a lot. Shoutout to Jake who was exceptional. Retail is same old at the end of the day.
Very slow paced, poor culture and poor processes. 0 advancement opportunities and no yearly performance - based pay rises, like other companies offer.
Under-appreciated and underpaid.
You are expected to do a lot of work and don't get much back in return.

There is a culture of coming into work despite illness or personal difficulty and sick pay is rarely given (without a doctors note).

Pay is docked for being seconds/minutes late. Overtime is often unpaid.
I left HOF soon after the buy out with Sports Direct so i can only say that it was a fabulous company to work for at that time - i dont know how it has changed since then
store checks and delivery customer service
very slow-paced yet the mangers do not want staff to talk

the most enjoyable part is the staff can be friendly

the hardest is one stands all day and is not allowed breaks often
Good work Experience. Usually kind customers. Helpful staff and colleagues. Till system needs to be updated. Worked as a part of Paperchase, which was enjoyable. Although required a bit of heavy lifting.
When working for a company, the atmosphere should always be upbeat positive. Whilst working for House Of Fraser it was constantly working and especially in a quiet zone atmosphere (NO talking, No laughing etc).

There wasn't any appreciation or rewards given to the hardest worker of the month or of the year. No yearly celebration for staff members hard work. No daily target set for Staff. Some young people did a 4 man's job alone and were getting paid £5.10 an hour.

There was no opportunity to progress, it was always down to favouritism or similar characteristics between management. Not really a place you want to gain a career in.
Had it for a weekend job while i was studying in college and was suitable for this, experience and training was handled and dealt with professionally, overall an enjoyable and safe place to work.
A fantastic place to work, with progressive tenements if you're looking to make it a career choice. The job itself morphed from what was set out to a new fluid level of directives.
Looked after specific zones, and had to be very proactive with your role. Not possible to rely on others to support you, its very much a place to think on your feet. Quiet periods made the days drag.
This store is falling apart, management is the worst ever! Store Manager does not care about employees! He only cares about his job and other managers. Staff are not motivated because of how poor management are. They bully you into things you are not comfortable in doing. You cannot balance your life and work in this place, they do not care about you at all. Save your self some time and do not work at this store.
Personally had a bad experience here, wasn’t friendly, wasn’t supportive and overall become a difficult place to work.
Messed up my pay and I wasn’t payed until 2 or 3 months later even though it was monthly pay?... It may have changed now but back then it wasn’t a great environment.

Interviews are confusing not a simple interview at all.
Workinf at house fraser will give you skills which you can carry forward in different places if work.
However, I feel currently working in womens wear there is no support, management is rude and like to show boat and they care more about their shop appearance and likability than the staff that achieve this look.

Sure every floor has their own culture but womens wear has to be the most toxic, I feel the only benefit will be the people you meet and the friends I have made which I will miss when I leave. As a current employee i would not reccomend the sore to anyone
Great company to work for. Training was excellent, support from upper management was always good. Would recommend working here and would happily go back.
Few customers and bad communication with management, have trouble with pay almost monthly and there is no music through out the store anymore. It is relaxed however.
It has an old fashioned culture that the new owners are struggling to change with its fast paced, high tech ways and I witness many older staff members finding it difficult to come to terms with this new regime..
As I have never worked in a brand partner store before, the biggest challenge I had was not only managing my own staff but those of the brands as well.

Making sure that they are still managing their own mat and they comply with the standards of the rest of the store.
Very clicky atmosphere. A lot of gossiping and bitchiness. No training at all, as I had no experience as a supervisor. Pay was very poor. Extended my probation for no good reason at all ( boss said she was going to get around to the paperwork) and then I was sacked for no good reason. Also even my manager who sacked me and felt bad about it didn’t feel secure in her job. I’m now valued where I work and get paid twice as much as I did working for this horrendous company. Don’t do it!!!