House of Fraser Employee Reviews

Why does this company exist still
Worker (Former Employee) –  London10 November 2018
Plenty of better company’s to work for. Nothing unique about the brand or company. Should have gone bankrupt. Company expect you to work excessive hours with little compensation. Company will throw you under the bus at first opportunity. Would rather work for John Lewis or Debs. Terrible company
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
The job
Will squeeze everything you have and the just spits you out
Enthuziast (Current Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire8 June 2018
Their distribution center is really bad place to work - staff is demotivated and don't care but it's all down to extremely poor management. There is no honesty in that place, not a single bit. You will be lied to just to keep you motivated. No one cares what you think or you have suggestion, perhaps how to make something better. Productivity rates being increased much quicker than salary without any actual improvement done in the first place.

Listen to my advise and stay away unless you like to be pushed around and treated like you are nothing.
Stressful work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent13 October 2018
It can be a stressful work environment. You receive no company benefits. The other work staff are quite friendly and the training you receive can be very informative but you don't understand your job role until you are actually on the shop floor working.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
stressful environment
Fun work place, professional and productive
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 October 2018
Lack of staff benefits, for example they staff paying for their own uniform and secondly, they didn't offer any staff discount to temporal workers. either than that, they are very professional and a good company to work for.
good secure job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands4 August 2018
Good reliable job with multiple benefits. Contracted hours but option to take on more hours. Learned how to greet customers and give good customer service.
Pros
professional workplace
Cons
not payed lunch
Extremely badly managed.
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Furniture1 August 2018
I worked in the furniture and bedding department and came from a different department store company. I was told my sales targets were attainable and that you got your percentage bonus regularly which was a complete lie. I was expected to work when there was a stock take and if I couldn’t I would have to explain my reason even if it was personal. The bonus on furniture was not regular as I was led to believe but was paid AFTER the goods had been delivered so you could spend weeks with a customer chiding swatches and designs then they would place the order which may have as much as a 20 week delivery if it was coming from abroad and it was only when the goods were in situ with the customer that you saw your increment which could be over 6 months after you first saw the customer.
The carpet department was tiny for the size of the Cambrry store and was tucked away so much that some customers didn’t know it was there. Generally the camaraderie with your colleagues was very good but the Management had not a clue and the turnover of all staff whether H of F or concession was very high. They seemed to think that because they and Harris’s were once ‘one’ they had a right to be rude to staff on the shop floor in front of customers. I was there from 1998 to 2005 and I disliked it immensely but after Aalders closed there was nowhere else you could earn what might be called a decent salary. I feel sorry for all staff still there but not for the senior Management.
Pros
Cons
Expected to work on different departments even though your contract stated Furniture.
good student job
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff29 July 2018
good pay and benefits e.g. discounts
many part time students
closing soon so many are leaving - understaffed
good hours
good company to work for
helpful staff
Mundane and repetitive
Sales Advisor / Sunday Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bath27 June 2018
Working with a quiet department store offering very little benefits, staff discount only accessible by signing up to the store credit card. Encouraging staff to get in to doubt especially with the extremely low salary.
Structured and disciplined
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 August 2018
There could be long hours involved as being a concession within the store we had to mirror their extended opening times.
The Hof management had difficulty in understanding the culture of my company who occupies space in their stores.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Long hours, travelling
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire2 January 2019
Working at HoF differed everyday, I would have either been standing handing out testers for their perfumes, talking to customers or applying makeup for people who wanted to see what the product was like before buying. The hardest part about my job was when I would be on the stall on my own at a busy time of day trying to get every customer what they wanted and still having a positive welcoming attitude. The most enjoyable time at my job was talking to different individuals from different places of the world.
Cons
I learnt alot working at house of fraser warehouse
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes17 January 2019
Started as a temp and was instantly picked to be supertemp which gave me a lead role. Within a year was given full time contract. The normal job role would be inbound for stock but found myself being placed on different departments often different job roles so i learnt alot about logistcs very quickly. Staff were friendly and i made temp management position of their new packing department. Training new recruits and dealing with problem stock was a daily routine. The only down side no store discount.
Pros
Easy job if you pay attention
Cons
Not enough interpreter's for foreign staff
Busy, fast paced environment.
Buyers Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
Good experience as I learnt a lot, however the company is notorious for treating its staff badly. Low pay and poor benefits as well as having low morel in the office due to current tough retail climate.
Exceptional employer, please to work for
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim5 January 2018
I never once dreaded going into work. At times it was stressful and tough but your colleagues would always be there and willing to lend a hand. Managers were incredibly nice and welcoming. The work load was nowhere near the same levels of stress as my old admin job. I was required to walk alot, both to and from stock rooms but this level of exercise enabled me to lose quiet a lot of weight over the Christmas period.

If shift patterns didn't suit, it was easy enough to have your shift swapped for another day or with someone else so long as there was plenty of notice.
Pros
Employee discount ontop of sales, competitive salary, flexible working hours
Cons
Breaks need to be taken at scheduled intervals based on business needs, you might not feel like your break was truly restful, can be very tiring on busy days, boring on light days
Good experience
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 June 2018
Had a good time at first however as the managers kept on leaving the work culture kept changing which impacted the staff. New rules kept coming in place which destroyed the overall staff satisfaction. However I learnt various things whilst working their which helped improve my overall confidence, problem solving and team work skills. I also faced a lot of challenges which I am glad to overcome as everyone has obstacles within their career and the best way is to learn from it and move on positively from it instead of stressing.
Pros
good team members
Cons
poor management
Mmmehhh
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham17 July 2018
Worked in the Nottingham store and management is very poor. I work for hof not a concession so can’t review them.

Very long hours of work and your always standing up. You don’t get a break unless you work 6.5 hours.

Communication throughout the store is very poor.
For example customer returns, one minute they have to go to the relevant department, next minute anyone can return but not everyone is told.

Store manager is passive aggressive.

Very unorganised.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Long hours. Poor Managmenet
First job and it was fun
Warehouse c/o - Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street16 March 2018
The days I worked here, as my first job, I learnt so much about retail and fashion. I gained all my customer service skills from here and went on not long after. I loved the friendly, young and buzzing environment. The benefits were good at the time not sure what it is like now but I suggest anyone who is studying or looking for part time job, this was once a cool place for me and I enjoyed and met some great people who I am still in touch with.
Nice place to work but poor management
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff7 October 2018
Quiet, yet positive, atmosphere throughout the store. All staff are friendly and welcoming - made many friends there. A typical shift would be tidying items and assisting customers, nothing more really. Management will encourage you to try and reach some goals throughout the working day e.g. selling gift cards but not the end of the world.

Management are very cliquey and self assured. They are really strict with punctuality and absences - will give disciplinarys out easily unless you are close to them. They seem more concerned with themselves rather than the store, as they won't always acknowledge staff in work and are aware of their position and yours.

There's lots of perks like staff discounts and great annual leave (even for part timers). The pay was also good for the role. These made me appreciate my role at House of Fraser.

Overall, I would recommend anyone to House of Fraser but would tell them to expect quiet days and high expectations from managers. The perks make it worth it.
Pros
Great perks, nice staff and good pay
Positive, friendly work environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire7 November 2018
The staff are all friendly to each other and work well regardless of their speciality in the company. Whilst spending a day on each floor, I found the tasks varied and I was able to understand what was needed for the job. Managers were very clear and organised in terms of what needed to be done and what was best for the public. Visuals were also important which I learnt throughout my week there. Checking in and out was very seamless and the times were reasonable, whether I was going to restaurants in my spare time or eating in the staff canteen, I always made it back in time. The tasks that I was set never affected my motivation levels nor made me stressed. I found that staff were eager to help if you were stuck and prioritised the experience for customers.
hof
Part-time/ Permanent (Current Employee) –  London18 September 2018
the management are poor they dont no how to talk to there staff in a respectful manner and they shout on the shop floor embarrassing you
they bullied a guy out of the job literally.
they tink they know everything bevasue they are management
they be little you like your 6 yr olds

theres no hard part everything is simple you dont do nothing as its always quiet never busy
my collegues i work with is the only thing that makes it bearable
pay is rubbish

cant take your break when you want and have to be forced to go when your told like your in school
Pros
collegues
Cons
management
Awful management
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire19 December 2018
If I could give 0 stars I would. In your day to day life on the beauty floor, you are expected to hit unrealiastic targets and are pretty much bullied into doing so. If you do not hit target the management push you out and will literally jump down your throat for the slightest thing. Luckily, the staff all agree and are quite friendly and you get some discount. The store itself is nice. The beauty manager not so nice
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Management, wage, hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at House of Fraser. Our community is ready to answer.