Hotel Du Vin Employee Reviews

Appaling company to work for
Bistro (Former Employee) –  York15 March 2019
I cannot recommend hotel du Vin in any way whatsoever. You are expected to work all the time with no work life balance and the departments being constantly understaffed because nobody wants to work in the conditions.
Terrible senior management who don’t have a clue, and they sell the hdv way as a cult that you must conform to.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no work life balance
Head Sommelier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK16 December 2018
Honoured to work for one of the best boutique hotels In the UK, it was a fun working environment and manage to meet many individuals from customers to other people in the industry.
Pros
Stock Cost Wines and other benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Understaffed, running like headless chickens
Previous assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire4 December 2018
Always understaffed, managers are running on the floor as waiters or bartenders instead of being a managers, they have no time to even deal with guests enquires/ complaints. You can only imagine how unmotivated they all must be.. Full bar, full restaurant, only 2 /3 waiters and this is including poor management team. Bar manager is a bar tender as he's got basicly no team.
Service very slow, takes ages to get a drink, or even simple coffee..
It really doesn't look good
As one of a managers who spent some time here in winchester, i can say i've never seen any place like this before.
Long shifts, you don't have staff so you're running around, having no time for your other duties.
Draining.. Mentally and phisically...
But doesn't seem anything is gonna change.
Cons
Not enough staff, no meals on duty, long hours, barely time for any break, chefs wouldn't make any food for you ecen if you're starving and begging them.
Just ok place to work at
Food & Beverage Team Member (Former Employee) –  WIMBLEDON, UK29 November 2018
I will say its ok place to work at and not the best place to work.
the ups during my time working there was i meet and made some great friends.And also i gain some experience there.
Pros
I made great friends working there
Cons
No free staff lunch
Brilliant first job, but long hours!
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent13 November 2018
I started here when I was still at school and the long hours were difficult. Since I was working Thursday night after school, Friday night, Saturday afternoon/evening, Sunday all day, the management did not really consider the fact that I was at school during the week, and most people just assumed that I had a lot of time off. A lot of pressure was put on me to attend all of these shifts and I often felt uncomfortable asking for time off. However, I learned a lot here being thrown in the deep end of the hospitality industry and working with the other staff. Colleagues, supervisors, chefs etc were all great to work with - but management not so much.
Pros
Staff food
Cons
ambriente solare no pressioni da parte del management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge13 October 2018
Albergo con facilita di crescita e buona compagnia da parte dei colleghi. Massima professionalità da parte dello staff ottimo comportamento con i clienti perfetto customer service. Ho avuto la possibilità di crescere professionalmente partendo dal pass e arrivando a gestire la sala poi ho ricevuto la possibilità di passare in reception dove ho passato gli ultimi quattro mesi.
Pros
crescita professionale
Cons
no staf food
Productive and fun workplace
Events Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon Common12 October 2018
Enjoyable, fun, learnt a lot. Hard work but great reward. Great location, and fabulous hotel. Would definitely join the team again at this great location.
Understaffed and always overbooked
Bar manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire25 September 2018
The hotel in Winchester was the flagship of the du vin brand, every weekend it was fully booked, particularly Sunday lunch which was normally carnage. Holding onto staff was always a never ending struggle that included management and supervisory staff.
Experience within business gained
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Poole19 June 2018
A typical day at work would involve answering and booking in enquiries, creating job sheets and proposals as well as holding meetings with the team and guests.
Okay
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames7 June 2018
Hotel Du Vin are reasonable to work for. They wanted me to do a lot of shifts and the work / life balance wasn't great, There are a reasonable amount of benefits after working for them for a while
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester29 April 2018
Great place to work, but have not worked here for many years so hard to give a sufficient review of what the place is like to work at now. Great place when i was there though
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
miejsce pracy, w dobrej firmie
Zastępca kierownika Restauracji (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire23 April 2018
Praca przyjemna, stały kontakt z klientem. Świetne warunki.
Pros
Możliwości rozwojowe
Very original food.
Chef de partie (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 March 2018
I am a fun and talented Chef de Partie. I use my love of cooking and excellent cleaning and communication skills, to work the hardest I can in a job I love. Having a good team spirit, deadline orientated and able to work under pressure.
My worst experience in edinburgh
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh9 February 2018
I applied at this place with big illusion as a waitress and have been hired as a waitress. They put me in the kitchen to make coffees and polish plates and cutlery. I waited few days and then I asked, when I am actually going to do my job, waitressing? They put me on the floor for one shift and then back to the kitchen...I didn|'t see reason why I couldn't be serving? My english was good and skills above. Have to say, that on the floor were only native speakers and in the kitchen, doing this inferior jobs, foreigners...I got another shift on the floor after I asked for it, but then back to kitchen again...Head chef was rude and shouting loud often, it was very stressful atmpsphere in the kitchen, and hotel full of fake people. I was very unhappy and cried there and left after 6 weeks, when I realised, that I have been only sqalid used. For Christmas dinner this rich company gave employees FREE toast with baked beans...it was humiliating...I even don't put this experience on my CV, as is nothing nice to talk about.
Overworked and awful management
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter24 January 2018
exeter hotel du vin
Horrible place to work, I was very ill one day and wasn’t allowed to go home even after being sick multiple times. Management are very sexist and make you feel bad everyday with personal comments and remarks. Went into work a few times at 8am and got told to go home because there wasn’t any work for me to do and didn’t get paid. Manager reduced me to tears many times and I was made to feel unwelcome.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Over worked and not feel safe within the environment
Avaliação positiva
Auditor interno (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 January 2018
Avalio positivamente a empresa porque apenas extingui o nosso vinculo por questões pessoais que tem a ver com a decisão de voltar para portugal.
long hours always
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Poole2 January 2018
most people are really nice here, but the balance for work and life is awful. getting up to go to work and going home to go to sleep.
it is a nice building to work in.
Una oportunidad para empezar en el mercado londinense
Restaurant Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater London25 November 2017
Trabajar en Hotel du Vin es una buena oportunidad para empezar a trabajar en el mercado laboral de London.
calm and friendly environment
Hotel staff (Former Employee) –  Bristol5 November 2017
the Hotel du Vin is like its name indicates, a hotel that tells the story of French wine while letting you enjoy your stay with beautiful rooms, tasty dishes and a great variety of drinks to choose from in their bistro. the working environment is pleasant and peaceful; the staff there are nice people and meeting them was a pleasure. if you are searching for a nice place to stay in Bristol I would advise you to go there
Pros
friendly people to meet
good place whit good team worker
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh31 October 2017
in the middle of the week is not very busy but in the end of the week i have spend all my energy and in the same time i have improve my velocity and my eglish
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hotel Du Vin. Our community is ready to answer.