Hotel Chocolat Employee Reviews

Featured review
Hotel Chocolat selected this as a representative review
Lovely place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear13 June 2019
Management are great and very supportive. Lovely environment to work for with a great team atmosphere. Management are flexible with what I can work. I have also learnt a lot whilst working here so far.
Pros
Staff discount, good management
Choose another Hotel Chocolat to work at
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 April 2017
The people I worked with were lovely.
The management left a lot to be desired. Little respect for staff and an inability to take any form of criticism. HR were useless and clearly just wanted their employees to work regardless of the conditions
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, lack of progression, conditions of where stock is kept and where you have to go get it (unhygienic and unsafe)
Fun and interesting
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex3 April 2017
Working at Hotel Chocolat was always fun as I got to meet and talk to new faces every day. It was nice working with different people and shifts also depending on the time of year how busy you always were for example Christmas always had you running about and keeping busy.
Pros
half price chocolate
Cons
journey to work
My experience with Hotel Chocolat
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire3 March 2017
My typical day at work included:
Filling work papers, adjusting machine settings, ensuring all production materials are available, moving stock, reaching company's KPI targets, dispatching orders,

I've been working in a good team only my supervisor was always unhappy even when the targets were over 100 %

My machine was very old and most the time was broken so the hardest part of the job was to find for people some other job at the time when the machine was not working.

The Most enjoyable part of the Job : chocolat
Pros
I've got an experience with working on the machine
fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  london19 February 2017
Christmas and Easter are the most enjoyable period. Wide range of products, one to one service with customers. Really fun place to work. Management always give you feedback .
Pros
great discount
Cons
often on your own on shop floor
Fun and productive workplace
Sales Assistant and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire17 February 2017
All in all a professional and enjoyable work environment with a strong team. Good training was provided as were advancement opportunities. An ethical approach to business. Great interactions with the public.
A nice retail job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 February 2017
The store I worked at was very very busy and management wasn't perfect. However, it was a lovely first job to have and the pay and benefits are very decent.
As far as retail jobs go, this was a pretty good one!
Pros
Good Discount, Ethical, Positive Ethos, Decent Pay
Cons
Management wasn't great, Could pay more for London
Hotel Chocolat has been great
Keyholder Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London7 January 2017
The store has seen a dramatic change since I joined in 2015. The store has seen increasing sales and interest as a cocoa grower and a luxury company.
I have enjoyed learning and promoting the vast amount of products throughout all seasons, from Christmas to Halloween. There has been a huge demand of Vegan, Gluten free and Diabetic chocolate and HC caters to all of those needs and positive results.
Our store and team is small but very tight knit and flexible to shift swaps and call in's.

My recent appraisal concluded my strengths are product knowledge, Visual Marketing and being a key team motivator and I have aimed to polish up on my knowledge the business side of HC to eventually progress to more senior role in the company.
Pros
Staff Discount and Travel Paid when covering other stores
Cons
Zero Hour Contract
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 December 2016
Great place to work and learn.
Amazing products, great people, a lot of fun, enough hours in general it's a good place to work
Not a place I could say I was proud to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon8 November 2016
Unfortunately a few bad apples ruined my experience of working here. Such a shame as these people are dragging the company down
Pros
Good chocolate
Cons
A few undesirable coworkers
Fun
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  UK10 October 2016
Hotel Chocolate is a really fun place to work. You learn a lot and have opportunities to progress your career. You meet all kinds of people with different needs.
Pros
Sample chocolates
Fun at first, then Changes happen!!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor30 August 2016
I went into this job so happy that I got to work in this shop and the first 6 months that I worked there I was happy and looking forward to working everyday! After this my hours started going down more and more, there was more work that only sales advisors were doing and not any of the management staff, no sign of progression as all of the jobs were advertised and no staff members got the chance to go up in there career here.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not enough hours.
Not the right place for me
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road, London11 August 2016
Most of the time was spent dusting shelves as the shop I worked at didn't get particularly busy. I was working at a new store that was set up in an area mainly known for electronics. I think this made it hard to attract new management. Which is hard as the flagship is five minutes away, in an area much better known for commerce and tourists. The coworkers were a varied bunch and it was great getting to know them. Hotel Chocolat was good at arranging ethnically diverse teams. The hardest part of the job was trying to get time off. The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking to customers. When people buy chocolate they're often in less of a rush and more ready to socialise. That makes the time go faster and makes the customers feel more comfortable.
Pros
50% off all chocolate for staff
Cons
Nowhere to eat lunch in the building
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Royston8 August 2016
A brand with lots of ambition, with a desire to grow and very good owners. Entrepreneurial approach which can sometimes mean they make mistakes, but with good intentions. Exciting fast paced place to work with some great staff.
Fun place
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  London7 August 2016
It can get really queit. Managers are not that good, taking long breaks, spending time in the office. Overall its nice place to work.
nerijus knasas
Central preperation CP general operator (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon29 July 2016
well i realy like driving so i need driving job im friendly like talking nicle with peoples
in Hotel chocolate i bean dunin chock taste in central preparation room i like that job jus for my possition salary bean to small
super fun and exciting place to work
keyholder (Former Employee) –  London9 July 2016
many benefits, opportunities to grow, kind management, easy job, not a lot of hard work, fun place to work at, free chocolate, generous discount
My favourite job - productive and fun working environment
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton8 July 2016
This is arguably the most well run and productive organisation I have worked for. The management, in my experience, have always been helpful and friendly. The team that the manager assembled were diverse yet thoroughly united when it came to delivering good quality customer service.

The most enjoyable parts of the job were interacting with customers among a vast age and social range, and being part of a great staff team. The hardest is probably the quieter times of the year (january-february, summer) when it can get very quiet.
Pros
Unexpected financial bonuses, amazing management
Cons
Often boring when the shop is empty
Great Place to work.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter21 June 2016
Even though I'm on a Zero Hour contract. they make sure I have at least 1 shift a week .

Great team

Really Friendly

Awesome Management Chain in My Store.
Pros
good discounts
Cons
on a Zero hour term.
Hotel Chocolat company review
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge19 June 2016
A typical day at work would have involved the maintenance of the shops cleanliness and neatness to adhere to the companies standards. It would also involve setting up the tills and working behind the tills, as well as approaching all customers to ensure that any assistance needed is provided with the upmost satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of my job was the environment, including with the colleagues I worked with and management. The most challenging part of my job was being able to handle adapting to each individual customer to ensure that the best service provided was given, as this was a key part of my job and I believe is so in any. The year and a half I spent there I learned how a business runs and how each department communicates and works together to achieve certain aims.
Taught me loads but management has their favourites
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kensington and Chelsea1 June 2016
I loved working at hotel chocolate. They were very helpful when it came to product knowledge and were very big on customer service which has helped me progress. However I felt though management had their favourites and I constantly saw a high over turn of staff
Pros
Free chocolate and vouchers at Christmas and Easter
Cons
Management had their favourites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hotel Chocolat. Our community is ready to answer.