Hotel Chocolat Employee Reviews

Featured review
Hotel Chocolat selected this as a representative review
Lovely place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear13 June 2019
Management are great and very supportive. Lovely environment to work for with a great team atmosphere. Management are flexible with what I can work. I have also learnt a lot whilst working here so far.
Pros
Staff discount, good management
Hotel Chocolat
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Soho, Greater London1 February 2018
Working in this job was an experience, you think of it as just chocolate but there's a lot of story behind it, there's a lot to learn from it. The job itself is retail so if you're a peoples person it's very enjoyable as well as the bonuses of having a few samples to be able to try.
Good for advancing, demanding workload
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Great company for moving up quickly and good training offered. However, Poor communication across the whole company and high turnover of staff leaves much to be desired if you plan on a longer term career. Great staff discount and some smaller perks are offered but bonus scheme is very dependent on store location and not very well balanced.

With plans for all their stores to be turned into café stores, leave any presumptions of the small 'boutique shop' feel at the door and replace it with the high end café feel instead.

Would only give a 5/5.
'Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under't.'
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Berkshire20 January 2018
Great salary, especially if you are a student looking for a part time job/casual job, and everyone is friendly enough. But the management had their favourite few, and clearly shows it (e.g. benefits like free chocolates for holidays wherein the favourites always had the heavier load). Management appear to be friendly and supportive at first, but don't be fooled. They may look like the innocent flower, but ho and behold there be the serpents under't.
Pros
salary, some friendly staff, free chocolates, discount for employees
Cons
long hours, management, the time you get paid (not monthly, but rather every two months)
As good as it sounds
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon30 December 2017
There are some inevitable mundane parts to the job but these are ubiquitous in the retail industry. Hotel Chocolat has a great culture of meritocracy with the obvious benefits of lots of chocolat. The staff made this place a joy to work at.
Pros
culture of meritocracy
Cons
some long mundane stretches
Not good
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 December 2017
I did work for the company area manger is really partial. No help and stymathey for people . Staff is lovely . Too much politics going on.no chance to get progression unless your area manger like you .not recommended to work unless you desperately looking for work
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Mangment
A very confined space
Costumer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London18 November 2017
I worked in a very tidy place with almost no space to breath. Having to spend eight hours a day in such a confined area doesn't bring dignity to any human being.
Productive and decent workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire30 October 2017
Working there is a great experience, you meet a variety of people from different cultures, ages & backgrounds! The employers are always friendly but there some that staff members who I didn't get on with and they would make personal attacks such as if I was on shift with them I would be late for my lunch break or clocking off work, some days I didn’t have a break because certain staff would just take liberties. But overall hotel chocolate is a great place to work and is a great experience..
Pros
Short hours and manageable hours
Cons
Somedays I didn’t get a break
great
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London30 October 2017
I had a great experience working at Hotel Chocolat, the staff were lovely and I had a big interest in the products we were selling making it more enjoyable.
safety place
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  St. Neots13 October 2017
Safe work place. Job is not hard but you have to work fast. Management is demanding and work is sometimes stressful but the people you work with are helpful and hardworking
Good relaxed environment
Operative (Current Employee) –  St. Neots, Cambridgeshire10 October 2017
I enjoyed the relaxed environment but wasn't a fan of the shift pattern. (Rotating 6-2 and 2-10). Mangerers could be more approachable. Overall not too bad.
job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  wandsworth town london26 September 2017
Was very happy working in the company.Have got an experience in services and sales (most of the times I have been working at the tills). Improved communication skills with customers.
Awesome job! Was sad to leave
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire6 September 2017
Great people, great perks. Job is fast paced and full of learning. Not just an employee. Even the company founders will talk to you. Smart and professional and good place to advance a retail career
Pros
Chocolate tasting and progression
Great company values but no progression
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire1 September 2017
Very ethical company with good values. But it is not a good place if you want to progress and develop. The staff discount is very generous and the owner of the company really seems to care for the people who work for him.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
No development or progression
Expanding Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire23 August 2017
A great place to work with an invotive company.

A company that was always happy to hear input from its staff.

My two + years at Hotel Chocolat. allowed me to develop and grow skills that are key to my future.

I was committed to my role at Hotel Chocolat. to see how far I could take my career. Unfortunately I my role as GM was made redundant due to a re structure of their Flagship venue in Leeds.
Pros
Expanding diverse Company
Cons
N/a
Short time
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke5 August 2017
Very easy to get to from home, staff were like family, very friendly and 9/10 willing to swap shifts.
Typical day involved opening/ closing store, learning specifically about chocolate and the process from "bean to bar".
vvvvvvvvvvv
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 August 2017
I had to work long hours with only half an hour break for lunch. These were 9 hour shifts and i used to get very tired and struggle to stand for that amount of time.
Productive and Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey19 July 2017
Fun place to work, good discount for employees as well as a friendly working environment. Management are very good and keep employees well informed on company targets.
Overall a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Christmas (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK10 May 2017
As I was only an Xmas temp member of staff I didnt really have enough time to review the job as much as say a full time member of staff. However when I worked there the atmosphere was freindly
Im kind person im loking for friendly place to work
Werehouse operative (Former Employee) –  St. Neots, Cambridgeshire12 April 2017
Im liable to work weekends maybe event night im interesting , im friendly with a people i wold like to nkow people much more i whant to get more skills
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
10 hovers shift
Choose another Hotel Chocolat to work at
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 April 2017
The people I worked with were lovely.
The management left a lot to be desired. Little respect for staff and an inability to take any form of criticism. HR were useless and clearly just wanted their employees to work regardless of the conditions
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, lack of progression, conditions of where stock is kept and where you have to go get it (unhygienic and unsafe)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hotel Chocolat. Our community is ready to answer.