Hotel Chocolat Employee Reviews

Featured review
Hotel Chocolat selected this as a representative review
Lovely place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear13 June 2019
Management are great and very supportive. Lovely environment to work for with a great team atmosphere. Management are flexible with what I can work. I have also learnt a lot whilst working here so far.
Pros
Staff discount, good management
nice place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf10 October 2018
nice environment with friendly security guards and other stores sometimes give freebies. most enjoyable part of the job is regular customers building a relationship with you.
Pros
lunch money provided for 6 and half hours or more
Cons
standing on feet for hours, no chairs
Productive and calm workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen3 October 2018
Really nice envarioment. Good manegment and really good pay. The best part was developing my skills such as working on tills, cleaning, stock replenishment and sorting out products. The menager and the co-workers were really understandable and willing to help at any time. The best job I could have asked for!
Cons
No wifi/signal in the store
One of the worst management system and warehouse I've ever seen
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  St. Neots20 September 2018
From the bottom: most of the staff doesn't speak english due to pay rate, H&S is a mith, supervisors and team leaders - biggest job they have done is to sort they're family and friends with a job, senior management - all unsucsesfull in their careers, this is where they end up, higher management - no clue what is going on how to sort a problem or learn from a mistake.
Basically the only good part of the company is the finance department - who ever does the shares to grow with this 3rd world way of work it's a genius.

The owner have no idea as long as the pockets are full with money - these usually don't last long

Shame that the brand actually manage to get nearly to the top
Pros
Good place to work if you cant find anything else
Cons
Lack of reasonable and adequate management
Working for HC
Store manager (Current Employee) –  London13 September 2018
Its an excellent company with a rich history.
The people are friendly and helpful.
The product is excellent.
Benefits are good.
Lovely store atmosphere.
Fun place to work
Creative retoucher (Former Employee) –  Royston, Hertfordshire3 September 2018
A typical day would be for me to carry on from where I had left off on an ongoing job the previous day. If I was facing challenges I would normally had worked it out in my head how to tackle it before coming into work.

I have freelanced and have work for numerous design agencies both big and small, the workflow is normally different from agency to agency and that is always a good learning curve and a challenge that provides me the experience to be confident to be able to adapt quite quickly to any working environment.

Managing my time is very important especially when there is a lot of images to work with. I normally try to get the most urgent and ones that require more work first out of the way before tackling the easier jobs.

Most of the time the working environment is relaxed, airy with a music in the background, people with a down-to-earth friendly attitude also does contribute to the day going quickly without feeling the pressure of the work but still being able to keep to the deadline.

For me the hardest part of the job is having to wait for jobs to be signed off when facing a tight deadline. Once the job has been presented, it is no longer within my control - so waiting on the other party is always the challenge as changes can be made in the last min.

The most enjoyable part is to be able to complete a job well before the deadline is up. Once approved I can look forward to the next job and get started. Being kept busy is good after all I do this job because I love it and enjoy working with images.
Pros
Healthy lunch from the canteen at a fraction of the price
Cons
Whenever am not driving commute takes long especially if I miss the train
So wanted to give five stars!
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury1 August 2018
I have absolutely loved working for this company, I love Hotel Chocolat’s ethos that customers always come first and have loved that as it suits my own values and I can be my self and do whatever I can for customers.

Every day is different and if you have a great team behind you it can be such a great workplace. I’ve learnt so much from Hotel Chocolat and have learnt so much about myself and leading a team during my time here.

However, there seems to be no progression within this company as they tend to like to hire from outside and not within. This is a real shame because I absolutely loved working here and in a great team, but due to being offered a management position elsewhere and no progression within, I’ve had to move on.

My advice to head office would be to listen to employees like me who love working for you and really wanted to progress but couldn’t!

I would happily work for this company in the future and would recommend working for them. I’d recommend before applying here that you are willing to work hard and understand that the customer always comes first, therefore you are able to demonstrate high customer service skills.
Pros
50% off products, 35% off cafe products, Friendly team
Cons
No Progression Within Company
Friendly productive environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes27 July 2018
Not great management in my experience but great company to work for! Products are amazing and get to take home lots of free chocolate.. Really friendly company and fab training.
Pros
Free chocolate, great working environment, living wage for younger ages
Cons
Bad management in my store but doesn't apply to all.
Fun work place and decent pay for a student
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire30 June 2018
As someone who worked part-time at Hotel Chocolat, it was a decent weekend job to have whilst I finished my degree. I learnt a lot about chocolate, and got free chocolate almost every shift, which was a nice perk.

Senior management has always been problematic but if you're a sales advisor and not working too much, it's relatively easy to ignore the bad organisation.

The customers in the store are generally easy to deal with and there aren't many issues. However, it was easy for thefts to occur because the store had no alarm system.

Christmas is the busiest and hardest time of the year, so it is tiring, especially on long shifts. However, the chocolate and general excitement people have about chocolate is an enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Some free chocolate, great 50% discount on all products, easy customers
Cons
Long hours during seasonal periods, bad organisation
Fun
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon15 June 2018
Good work with staff one for all, all for one friendly people . Low solary for high requirements times will be heavy working and hot working from day.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Solary
Patient, Respectful Management
Events Assistant/Host (Current Employee) –  Monmouth Street, Covent Garden13 June 2018
I have worked as an events assistant/host alongside my studies at University, and in that time, management have been incredibly respectful of any additional (normally academic) responsibilities I had. Great team, and a wonderful work environment.
a mixed experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge31 May 2018
working at hotel chocolat was a very mixed experience. staff morale was often very low due to the fact that we didn't feel listened to or connected with by management, many staff members were always working far more hours than they wanted or could cope with and the fact that we were paid minimum wage by a company that charges close to £4 for a bar of chocolate felt extremely unfair.
however the team became very close and always supported each other through it all and we learned a lot about how to deal with a stressful work environment.
Pros
free chocolate sometimes
Cons
long hours, minimum wage, difficult customers
its okay...
customer sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire30 April 2018
the company itself and its values are really good but its the managers you need to watch out for, they will be kind at first but then show their true colors
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
management & wage
Fast work place
production worker (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire4 April 2018
Work in a demanding environment. A great emphasis on independent action. Different jobs from working on a belt to preparing ingredients for production according to a strictly defined recipe.
good workplace
Food Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire28 March 2018
i'm part time working here mon and tue only when my husband have day off. i have a child so can not do other days because of shift pattern. shift pattern is 6-14, 14-22. i'm looking late shift pattern around 18-2.
Factory is close to home no need travel.
Good staff.
Work life at hotel chocolat
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 March 2018
I love working at hotel chocolat and reall recommend working there, work in a team of around 10. Everyone one is lovely and friendly work pay is good.
Pros
50% off retail
Cons
Mix of hours, your not always needed
Not have to
Packer (Former Employee) –  St. Neots26 March 2018
Long shift not good management very far away from my home I need to arrive 1haurs to go end 1haurs to return back home that is not possible to do every day
Pros
1 lunch
Cons
Long time
Not as good as it sounded
Sales assistant plus keyholder (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes9 March 2018
Went to work their thinking I would get £8 an hour but very very rarely got this as they would only pay one keyholder per shift . Staff were very very chatty about each othe and not in a nice way about each othe which would make for an uncomfortable day. Sometimes did 10 hour shift with no break whilst other would sit upstairs for hours . Cleanliness of cafe had a lot to be desired .
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Just about everything else
Good place good people
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon7 February 2018
picking and packing products in good atmosphere.No pressure. Good and funny management. Hardest part of the job was low temperature inside warehouse.recomended
empresa con sabor agridulce
Encargada de turno en tienda grandes superficies (Former Employee) –  londres6 February 2018
Hotel Chocolat es un sueño hecho realidad para los que de verdad amamos el cacao y su industria
aprendes mucho, existe formación y si quieres aprender es fácil y divertido
buen ambiente laboral , con muy especiales excepciones
goza de buena reputación gracias a una estupenda imagen publicitaria con un dueño carismático y un producto simplemente bueno e innovador !!
la gerencia interna y la gestión de personal es muy deficiente, no se atienen a sus propias directrices , hay desorden y no hay una linea de asistencia al empleado
Pros
excelente producto, aprendizaje constante
Cons
desorden, caos
Stressfull
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Street Station2 February 2018
Working at Hotel Chocolat was enjoyable at times, but also very stressful. I don't feel staff were looked after well enough, staff were too over worked. Management weren't suitable.
I wouldn't recommend working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hotel Chocolat. Our community is ready to answer.